Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 07:29   #3196
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The car won't move. I pressed the accelerator slightly, a large sound comes from the front brakes and the car moves forward.

In the mornings when I disengage the brake and when the car moves forward a small thud sound comes from the front brake. Any ideas?

- In an AT, is it required to engage the parking brake when the car is parked in the garage? The gear lever is in "P". That should do the job right?
I had exactly the same problem after long periods of non-usage (a week or more).
Now when I need to park for a long period I slot into 'P' but do not use the hand-brake.

From the Civic user-manual (page 304):
"If you need to park your vehicle for an extended period (more than 1 month)...
Leave the parking brake off and put the transmission in 'P' "

Quote:

- Should I take chances with the battery? I don't want to be stranded somewhere at night. How much does a new one cost? HASS quote was 6.5K.
My purchase in February 2010: Amaron Pro model:55B24LS, Rs.4,950 minus Rs.400 for the old one.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 10:27   #3197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I had exactly the same problem after long periods of non-usage (a week or more).
Now when I need to park for a long period I slot into 'P' but do not use the hand-brake.

From the Civic user-manual (page 304):
Yes, but in that case IMO one needs to also block the wheels to avoid locking the AT transmission. Otherwise then you may need that screwdriver to shift it from P.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 11:26   #3198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
...SA at Whitefield Honda that if i am parking the car at night at home (Which is safe), do not engage the parking brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think it is harking back to the FIAT/Padmini days ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
...I remember reading somewhere that while parking the car at home, it is better to leave it in first gear and not apply the hand brakes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
A mechanic once advised me that leaving the car parked overnight with the hand brakes causes the rear brakes to jam etc... ... the car would move with a slight thud sound of brakes disengaging while starting...
Quote:
I have had no problems with using the hand brake overnight ever since 1976 so forget the mechanic, just do it.
Quote:
...To make sure the brakes do not cause problems i simply disengage the brake and move the car a bit forward or backward twice every weekday...
Quote:
...From the Civic user-manual (page 304):
Thanks to all who replied. So, I have come to conclude that, it is better to park on a flat surface and NOT to engage the parking brake if left unattended for a longer period in order avoid lock-up of wheels. Thanks manim for the reference to the manual. It makes sense.

I chanced upon some internet sites where they suggest that while parking on inclines the parking brake be applied first, before shifting to P or 1st gear, so that the load of the car is on the brake and not the transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Yes, but in that case IMO one needs to also block the wheels to avoid locking the AT transmission. Otherwise then you may need that screwdriver to shift it from P.
Can you elaborate on that? I remember reading something similar in my Honda Accord's manual which I used to drive in the USA.

Quote:
... My purchase in February 2010: Amaron Pro model:55B24LS, Rs.4,950 minus Rs.400 for the old one.
manim, so the total was 4950 OR 4950-400?
Old 11th April 2012, 11:45   #3199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you elaborate on that? I remember reading something similar in my Honda Accord's manual which I used to drive in the USA.
If one does not engage the parking brake, the entire load of the car comes onto the locking pin of the transmission when in P. Sometimes, this may result in the transmission getting 'locked' into P as the lever is unable to move the locking pin. This is more likely to happen when the car is on slight inclines. Then using the tool provided, one has to manually try and move the locking pin to allow the transmission to come out of P.

IMO the correct way (and as you stated mentioned on many Internet sites) when parking is to shift to N, engage the parking brake and then move the lever to P. I generally do this. Then one would rarely have the locking issue.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 11:58   #3200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Thank you guys.
Got a quote from various agents for about 11K premium, and 5 lakh IDV. Seems ok ?
I renewed my insurance (2010 model) with Bajaj Allianz last month through their online portal. The premium came to 15,608 for an IDV of 11 lacs. You can try it out online and see what rate they quote.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 12:14   #3201
Senior - BHPian

Guys I had a check at most online quotes. Seems to me in the initial years the discounts are high and later on becomes a bit less.

Like you guys mentioned my second year premium was 16K, with a huge IDV. But then I see not so much drastic reductions later on.

Now I see the least quote is at 11K. Any leads to good agents who could help?
Old 11th April 2012, 12:46   #3202
BHPian

Quote:
so the total was 4950 OR 4950-400?
After deducting I ended up paying only Rs.4,550.

But it was way back in Feb 2010, prices must have increased.
Old 11th April 2012, 22:34   #3203
Senior - BHPian

@sgiitk, I remember older cars that we had, from FIAT to Ambassador, Gazel, and few Mahindra Jeeps, none of them had any handbrakes. Even if they had it never used to work, either was always jammed or broken. Hence the habit of putting the car in first gear was always there. Which in between changed from gear+handbrake. Now after reading and talking to the engineer concerned, at home its just first gear only.
Old 12th April 2012, 09:29   #3204
Senior - BHPian

Guys is it possible to use nail polish to touch up faded spots on the interiors of the Civic ?I am thinking of getting grey Nail polish to cover up some small patches.

thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 09:50   #3205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys is it possible to use nail polish to touch up faded spots on the interiors of the Civic ?
Wonderful idea, but it wont last the distance i.e. it would not stick there for long over constant abuse from water washing, and other dust and dirt, and if it happens to be inside the cabin it would smell like nail polish every time you get into the car.

Alternatively do look at what @Tassem did on his Verna scratches, it surely is worth a look. Here is the thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...dic-verna.html)
mayankjha1806 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 12:22   #3206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I just wanted to have some information on the insurance amounts that we are paying for the civic.

I am looking forward to renew next month. It would be the sixth year for the vehicle.

If you can share the current insurance amount and IDV it would be nice.
Mine is also going into the sixth year and here is my insurance paid history (no claims so far):

year - Rs.
1 - 39,000
2 - 25,824
3 - 14,788
4 - 12,519
5 - 10,566

(I do not have the IDV info on hand)
I will be paying for my sixth year next month (May).
Old 12th April 2012, 14:13   #3207
BANNED

@manim; I hear that some jokers as a policy (whatever than means) refuse to insure cars after an age. In this regard the 'sarkari' insurers are better.
Old 12th April 2012, 21:18   #3208
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys is it possible to use nail polish to touch up faded spots on the interiors of the Civic ?I am thinking of getting grey Nail polish to cover up some small patches.

thanks
It would work, but may leave blotchy and blobby patches, unless you use a very fine brush, not the original nail polish brush. If the faded spots are power window casings, you can paint it like I did. It is exactly a year since I did it and it has not faded or scratched at all after that.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 21:58   #3209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@manim; I hear that some jokers as a policy (whatever than means) refuse to insure cars after an age. In this regard the 'sarkari' insurers are better.
This is what happened in the case of my old M800.

I bought it off Dad when it was nearly 8 years old, just before the insurance had to be renewed. The car was insured with the New India Assurance Company Limited. Dad had switched to third-party only insurance to save costs. Renewal was due in a month-and-a-half after I bought the car. I requested NIA to convert it to comprehensive and they refused saying that for a car > 8 years old, they don't convert TP to comprehensive. But they continued TP only. I had the car with me for another 4 years nearly and renewing TP-only was alright the next 3 years (i.e. until age ~12).

Regards,
spadix
Old 13th April 2012, 09:20   #3210
BANNED

@spadix; this was conversion from TP to Comp. I can imagine a fraud there - convert junk and then claim. I am talking about renewing Comprehensive itself.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks