Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2012, 16:14   #3391
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
(mine is an older model and I think you can operate the paddles in 'D' mode itself in newer models).
This was the main reason for my confusion between the two modes. If I intent to use paddle shifts, both D and S will do the same job i guess, so in highways, I can still go with D and use the shifters when I wish to.

btw, thanks a lot all for coming in with the responses.

Another question that pops out is; the manual says a lot about attaching child seats and all, but on visual inspection, i was not able to find any tethering points. Does this mean that, for our Indian Civics, the child seat tethering is possible only using seat belt hooks at the back?
Old 30th May 2012, 09:24   #3392
BANNED

@sarathal; Only the S mode will have no 5th and may drink a bit more of the juice. Furthermore, S mode will only shift out (down only) of the selected gear if absolutely necessary.

Child seats, most modern child seats are designed fixing with the belts.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 13:25   #3393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
This was the main reason for my confusion between the two modes. If I intent to use paddle shifts, both D and S will do the same job i guess, so in highways, I can still go with D and use the shifters when I wish to.
Even if you intend to use paddle they dont behave in same way. For e.g if you floor the accelrator in D then it will downshift (if required) overriding your upshifting by paddle which is not the case in S. In S it will never downshift unless speeds drop below threshold limits. In S you mave more manual control (dont misundestand this as absolute control!).
Also due to grade logic, if you are on a downhill road and brake in D, the car can downshift. If you try to upshift using paddles it wont unless the gradient changes or you throttle (probably therby giving a signal that engine braking is no longer required). In S it will stick to the gear except if thresholds are reached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@sarathal; Only the S mode will have no 5th and may drink a bit more of the juice. Furthermore, S mode will only shift out (down only) of the selected gear if absolutely necessary.
5th is possible in S mode above 58kmph on a flat /downhill road .
alto99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 13:51   #3394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Even if you intend to use paddle they dont behave in same way. For e.g if you floor the accelrator in D then it will downshift (if required) overriding your upshifting by paddle which is not the case in S. In S it will never downshift unless speeds drop below threshold limits. In S you mave more manual control (dont misundestand this as absolute control!).
Also due to grade logic, if you are on a downhill road and brake in D, the car can downshift. If you try to upshift using paddles it wont unless the gradient changes or you throttle (probably therby giving a signal that engine braking is no longer required). In S it will stick to the gear except if thresholds are reached.

Wow, this connects to what my SA has explained.

And on highways, when the frequency of manual intervention is minimum(after all shouldn't be negating the convenience of the AT ), S is the mode to go for better control and in turn mileage.

Thanks a lot for the effort.
Old 30th May 2012, 14:04   #3395
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Sorry I forgot to put this part. For 5th you have to select. S mode does not auto select 5.

At 50kph/1000rpm you will in reality have to be above 70kph or so to hold it.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 17:47   #3396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Sorry I forgot to put this part. For 5th you have to select. S mode does not auto select 5.

At 50kph/1000rpm you will in reality have to be above 70kph or so to hold it.

Not at all an issue, your response to the queries are of great help. Appreciate that.
Moreover, I also share the same '10 VAT, so will be bothering you continuously on the doubts
Old 31st May 2012, 04:05   #3397
BHPian

I came back from work and as usual inspected my parked Civic VMT 2010. I saw a small 3 inch pool of something black on the floor near the right front wheel.

I used a torch and saw that it was some semi solid liquid. I bent down hard and could see it had leaked from the engine bay. I touched it and it was very semi solid something like grease.

I saw the stains on the underbody at the front and when i reached to touch it, i could see it was the same substance. I am not sure what it is, but I dont see any underbody damage where its leaked, the location where i found the leak stains are a little after where the front wheel ends and position wise from sideways almost where the right headlamp dome ends, any ideas experts what this could be, any danger lurking? keep the ideas flowing..
Old 31st May 2012, 04:20   #3398
BHPian

[quote=manim;2790083]Thanks!
I keep my car closed with a cover whenever parked at home.

Yes, even I do the same and it looks beautiful without any paint fades, including the interiors. By the way I see that you are from tuticorin, are you still residing there ?

I have some very good influential friends in tuticorin. Even last week I was there.. please PM me and we can meet when I am there.
Old 31st May 2012, 20:48   #3399
BHPian

Are there any tell tale signs which indicates that the battery needs replacement shortly? Whats been the Stock battery, Head lamp bulb life in general? I am starting out on a long trip from Bangalore to Gujarat next week with family and a large portion of the drive will be in Night time.Just wanted to make sure I dont get stuck with a dead battery/a fused bulb.As on date, Car always starts on first cranking.So am hoping stock battery is doing fine.

My civic is a Aug 2010 model,an A/T and has done 42500 Kms with Almost 85 % of this Mileage driven on highways in night.

Last edited by ramanak : 31st May 2012 at 21:10.
Old 1st June 2012, 00:09   #3400
BHPian

Kids in my locality are notorious and they fool around with my car whenever they play on the street. Someone took off the CIVIC logo on the rear....now how much should that cost me
Old 1st June 2012, 07:09   #3401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Are there any tell tale signs which indicates that the battery needs replacement shortly? Whats been the Stock battery, Head lamp bulb life in general? I am starting out on a long trip from Bangalore to Gujarat next week with family and a large portion of the drive will be in Night time.Just wanted to make sure I dont get stuck with a dead battery/a fused bulb.As on date, Car always starts on first cranking.So am hoping stock battery is doing fine.

My civic is a Aug 2010 model,an A/T and has done 42500 Kms with Almost 85 % of this Mileage driven on highways in night.
Anecdotal evidence shows that most batteries fail between 3.5 to 4.5 years. If you really have this fear that your battery will go kaput, change it every 4 years. Or perhaps 3 years, if you don't mind spending Rs. 5,000 for peace of mind that you get. Since yours is an Aug 2010 car, I think you should be fine for now.

Last edited by SmartCat : 1st June 2012 at 07:14.
Old 1st June 2012, 09:01   #3402
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ramanak, unless your battery has been showing signs of weakness, you should not have a problem. If you want, you can ask any batter shop to test the voltage & the sp gravity values.

For the bulbs, do carry spares. A bulb can fuse at any time, even when brand new.
Old 1st June 2012, 09:32   #3403
BANNED

@ramanak; Just make sure you have Jumper Cables in the car. So if you are stuck, you can rely on a good Samaritan to help you get going.

Forget about push starting an AT.
Old 1st June 2012, 19:59   #3404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
...Head lamp bulb life...
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
For the bulbs, do carry spares. A bulb can fuse at any time, even when brand new.
I carry the extra bulb-pair Honda gave me when I bought my car, in the boot always.
May come in useful, for emergencies.

Last edited by manim : 1st June 2012 at 20:01.
Old 2nd June 2012, 07:18   #3405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I carry the extra bulb-pair Honda gave me when I bought my car.
Which means you never had to use it so far till 1Lakh Plus Kms/5 years.Thats good news.Had you driven extensively in night?

Last edited by ramanak : 2nd June 2012 at 07:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks