Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2012, 12:55   #3541
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

went for my 45k service and was informed clutch is weak, it is now being replaced at a cost of 14k at magnum Honda bangalore
Old 17th July 2012, 14:40   #3542
Senior - BHPian

Had a quirky incident with the Civic's AC recently. One morning the AC compressor stopped working all of a sudden. It had been running with no issues prior to that. The air wasn't getting cooled in any of the modes, and the compressor "hum" was also missing. Thought the compressor had conked out, or maybe the gas had leaked out or maybe it was a blown fuse. But funnily, when I tried the AC again in the evening, it worked normally... cooling was absolutely fine. And this issue has not recurred again in a week. While I will take it to Honda for a check-up, has anyone faced something similar or know what the problem might be? Something loose somewhere maybe?
Old 17th July 2012, 15:23   #3543
BANNED

@razor4077; Please check that the refrigerant pressure is not marginal. Otherwise the safety may stop the compressor from coming on.
Old 17th July 2012, 18:56   #3544
BHPian

AC problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Had a quirky incident with the Civic's AC recently. One morning the AC compressor stopped working all of a sudden. It had been running with no issues prior to that. The air wasn't getting cooled in any of the modes, and the compressor "hum" was also missing. Thought the compressor had conked out, or maybe the gas had leaked out or maybe it was a blown fuse. But funnily, when I tried the AC again in the evening, it worked normally... cooling was absolutely fine. And this issue has not recurred again in a week. While I will take it to Honda for a check-up, has anyone faced something similar or know what the problem might be? Something loose somewhere maybe?
Yes, I have a similar problem.

In around the third year of ownership, on a highway drive the compressor failed to turn on for sometime. It became okay after a few minutes.

Once in a while I have this problem during long drives.
The H.A.S.S was not able to diagnose because at the service-station everything works fine!

I have decided to do nothing about it for now.
However I am worried that it may conk out during some long drive with my family on some hot day.

So waiting to hear your feedback on what your H.A.S.S says.
Old 19th July 2012, 10:24   #3545
BHPian

Got the car back costed 11655 for the clutch job and the engine mounting was also changed under warranty. Car feel super smooth and quieter then earlier
Old 19th July 2012, 11:21   #3546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
Got the car back costed 11655 for the clutch job and the engine mounting was also changed under warranty. Car feel super smooth and quieter then earlier
Which model year is your Civic ? I was under the impression that Civic's post 2008 do not have the mount problem.
Old 19th July 2012, 11:25   #3547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Which model year is your Civic ? I was under the impression that Civic's post 2008 do not have the mount problem.
mine is a 2008 April model.
Old 21st July 2012, 17:14   #3548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
mine is a 2008 April model.
Is it the face lifted model?

Guys on the other hand while driving on the busy western express highway i have noticed i can use the the 4th gear of my m/t civic more or less like a auto box withouh having to shift down or up much. But i am not sure if this is a fuel efficient way of driving since 5th gear is suppose to provide overall better economy.

I have observed that due to traffic conditions if i shift up to 5th then i find myslef shifting down to 3rd or 4th to keep momentum whereas in 4th
i don't have to bother changing gears much.So which will be the better way to drive as far as FE is concerned keep in 5th and keep shifting in 4th as needed or keep in 4th all the time. In either case i do not exceed max 3k RPM as traffic does not allow same.
Old 22nd July 2012, 11:06   #3549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it the face lifted model?

Dont think so, the facelift happened in 2009 Sep.
Old 22nd July 2012, 12:23   #3550
Senior - BHPian

Re: power-steering fluid whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
At the end of a long drive (after 8 hours) I started hearing a whining/whistling noise from the engine whenever I pressed the accelerator...... The level of fluid did not decrease again so there is no leak in the system.
Hello manim,

I am facing the same situation here and have found my PS fluid to be low.The sound comes only on the 1st start in the morning but disappears later on.Did you have any issue later on with the same ?

Since there was no leak in manim's car is it normal for the fluid to go low at just 39K which is what my car has done so far.I have a scheduled service visit next month so won't be using the car before the service is done.This is really giving me the creeps.I hope it's not a expensive leak repair etc that i have to undergo for the car

thanks
Old 22nd July 2012, 18:03   #3551
BHPian

Quote:
I am facing the same situation here and have found my PS fluid to be low.The sound comes only on the 1st start in the morning but disappears later on.Did you have any issue later on with the same ?

Since there was no leak in manim's car is it normal for the fluid to go low at just 39K which is what my car has done so far.
As posted here in Dec-2012, there was this whine/whistling noise during acceleration. I was driving up the Nilgiris-mountains when this happened (odo was at 96K).

After PS fluid was topped-up, the sound vanished.
The fluid level never decreased after that (seven months so far).
I am keeping the the remaining fluid in a bottle for any future toppings, if necessary.
So there was no leak as I had thought at first.

I assume that the fluid could have heated-up, boiled and burst out of the reservoir, since the PS had to be used heavily on the mountain-roads.

But then I have done many up-hill driving after that and never lost any more fluid.
So I assume this was a one-off incident.

I also think that after you top-up in yours, you can 'fill-it/shut-it/forget-it'!

Last edited by manim : 22nd July 2012 at 18:09.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2012, 19:24   #3552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I also think that after you top-up in yours, you can 'fill-it/shut-it/forget-it'!
I really hope that it's a small issue and only needs topping up.But i have read elsewhere that PS fluid is not something that can get used up as say engine oil which can reduce in quantity while inside the engine.It's suppose to stay topped up and if it's low then it probably means that there is a leak or something.

I have not noticed any oil stains etc inside the engine bay near the PS container or below the engine on the ground.I will check again tomorrow for oil stains under the car.Power Steering is something new to me as i have never owned a car with a PS before so i guess this is somthing that slipped by me when i do a monthly check under the hood.
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:13   #3553
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys on the other hand while driving on the busy western express highway i have noticed i can use the the 4th gear of my m/t civic more or less like a auto box withouh having to shift down or up much. But i am not sure if this is a fuel efficient way of driving since 5th gear is suppose to provide overall better economy.

I have observed that due to traffic conditions if i shift up to 5th then i find myslef shifting down to 3rd or 4th to keep momentum whereas in 4th
i don't have to bother changing gears much.So which will be the better way to drive as far as FE is concerned keep in 5th and keep shifting in 4th as needed or keep in 4th all the time. In either case i do not exceed max 3k RPM as traffic does not allow same.
Even I was surprised by Civic's 4th Gear - pulls cleanly from 40 Kmph on mildly uphill twisty sections with 4 people on board and a boot full of luggage!

Less gearchanges = higher fuel efficiency, by the way.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 09:26   #3554
BANNED

Quote:
Hello manim,

This will normally be indicative of a leak. Top it up and then keep an eye and get it fixed asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Even I was surprised by Civic's 4th Gear - pulls cleanly from 40 Kmph on mildly uphill twisty sections with 4 people on board and a boot full of luggage!

Less gearchanges = higher fuel efficiency, by the way.
Just make sure the engine does not lug. I am not surprised since the Civic has enough horses to handle a lot of abuse.
Old 23rd July 2012, 09:32   #3555
BHPian

Converting Your Equipment into a Race Car:

Most Viewed