Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2012, 16:34   #3931
BHPian

Re: 30,000 km service costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
With regard to the tik-tik sound from the clutch pedal, the SA said that the noise didn't go away even with liberal spraying of lubricant. In his way, the clutch pedal assembly is reaching end-of-life and would have to be replaced. I think I should get a second opinion.
I have had a similar issue with the noise while depressing the clutch pedal. The noise used to come when the pedal reached near the end of its travel while depressing. Surprisingly though the noise was actually coming from the driver seat due to the pressure of the thigh when depressing the clutch pedal. It was rectified with a spot weld to the seat. Not sure if it is the same issue with your ride.
swarooppatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 16:57   #3932
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Always do alignment/balancing from outside. The first couple of times at Maruti and at Hyundai, there were either always issues with the alignment/balancing or the work was just not done and I had to insist on it during delivery.
I intend to continue with the rotation/alignment/balancing for my civic from outside.
That was indeed the plan this time, because of the way HASS messed up WA/WB during the 4.5th service (I got a general check-up and WA/WB done at the 17.5k km mark in-between the 15k and 20k km services).

However I had a brain-fade when I reached HASS for this service, got lazy and asked them to do it instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
My first set of tyres also had uneven tyre wear because Honda A.S.S. never rotated the tyres and I was under impression that it was part of every 5k service which I was getting done religiously. Now, I get it done in front of my eyes every 5k kms and my 25k old Yoko DBs looks 12-12k old.

For alignment, balancing, rotation, I have been going to STAR WHEELS (Mr. Deepak) at Atul Kataria Chowk, Sector 14, Gurgaon for last 4 years . Since you are in Gurgaon, I will suggest you to try him.
The manual recommends WA/WB and rotation every 10k kms but I think every 5k kms might be better for tyre life given our conditions. I know folks who get it done every 2k kms - which is overkill, but they're very uncompromising when it comes to handling and performance.

I've gotten it done at 9543, ~17700 and now at ~30700. Very bad of me. :(

Thanks for the recommendation, Mukesh. I shall pay him a visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarooppatil View Post
I have had a similar issue with the noise while depressing the clutch pedal. The noise used to come when the pedal reached near the end of its travel while depressing. Surprisingly though the noise was actually coming from the driver seat due to the pressure of the thigh when depressing the clutch pedal. It was rectified with a spot weld to the seat. Not sure if it is the same issue with your ride.
Quite strange! I'll get this checked on my car, but in addition to hearing the 'tik' I can also "feel" it through the pedal. Besides, it happens at the end of the pedal travel on both ways (engage and disengage). I'll get this checked too, anyway. Only, HASS never listens to customers, even if I tell them that someone else enjoyed success following a particular line of diagnosis.

Regards,
spadix
Old 20th November 2012, 17:10   #3933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Quite strange! I'll get this checked on my car, but in addition to hearing the 'tik' I can also "feel" it through the pedal. Besides, it happens at the end of the pedal travel on both ways (engage and disengage). I'll get this checked too, anyway. Only, HASS never listens to customers, even if I tell them that someone else enjoyed success following a particular line of diagnosis.

Regards,
spadix
At the bottom of the clutch pedal there is plastic covering which encloses the steering rod.Please see if has come loose as it can cause sound to come when the clutch is fully depressed and comes in contact with the covering.
Old 20th November 2012, 23:57   #3934
Senior - BHPian

Saw a statement in the user manual wherein it is written that the steering wheel shouldn't be held at the extreme right or left position to avoid damage to power steering system.
Sounds strange, any idea on what could be the reason, or in this aspect, why is it not taken care of in the car design itself?
Old 21st November 2012, 00:57   #3935
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Saw a statement in the user manual wherein it is written that the steering wheel shouldn't be held at the extreme right or left position to avoid damage to power steering system.
Sounds strange, any idea on what could be the reason, or in this aspect, why is it not taken care of in the car design itself?
Thats because the Civic has a hydraulic system, and the motor/pump for the steering gets strained when its at full lock. So its advised not to keep it there too long.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 09:16   #3936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Thats because the Civic has a hydraulic system, and the motor/pump for the steering gets strained when its at full lock. So its advised not to keep it there too long.
Thanks, but then, why cant a safety threshold set by the manufacturer themselves?
Old 21st November 2012, 11:42   #3937
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Thanks, but then, why cant a safety threshold set by the manufacturer themselves?
Its just advise from them. Nothings really gonna happen even if you do keep it at full lock for a while. But keeping it there only for turns or u-turns, and not holding it there maybe while your stopped will increase the life of the pump.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 12:07   #3938
Senior - BHPian

My Civic's hydraulic mount has gone again.

I have been facing very high vibrations (too high in cold start, high throughout) in my Civic for last few days. It is very unlike earlier three occasions of hydraulic mount change, when there was no vibration but sound coming on starting and on potholes.

I got it checked at Honda A.S.S. and the SA told me that hydraulic mount is broken. He gave me an estimate of 10-11k. I told him that I will come over the weekend and came back.

Maybe, the symptoms are different because the last hydraulic mount I got was not original Honda but of EVO (or EVA ???) brand. It lasted exactly 10k kms. I had paid Rs.4850/- (4500 + 450 labor) for it.

I replaced 1st mount at 21k kms. (under warranty), second at 36k kms. (not covered under extended warranty) and the 3rd one at 61.5k kms. Now my car is at 71.5k kms and time to change 4th time.

Any suggestion guys?

Quote:
90% of my driving is on excellent Delhi-Gurgaon expressway and Delhi's Ring Road. 5% is on bad roads (bad only for 4 months, July-October, when Sohna Road is in bad shape during and after monsoons otherwise average) and 5% on average roads.

I also cross all speed breakers very very slowly. I feel shy to say that I normally don't cross more than 2500 rpm specially since last 20 months or so.

But I have NEVER jumped my Civic on speed-breakers in last 5 years.

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 21st November 2012 at 12:31.
Old 21st November 2012, 12:09   #3939
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand why they didn't have a recall for these mounts. Actually, engine mounts failing is a VERY rare thing. You can have them fail once in the life of a car. Not THREE damn times man!
Old 21st November 2012, 12:23   #3940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
And I suppose this holds good for any other car with HPS too and not just the Civic. Its just that Honda has made it a point to throw in a word of caution to extend the life of the system. I dont recall such a comment made in my Esteem's owner's manual for instance.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 13:55   #3941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Civic's hydraulic mount has gone again.

I have been facing very high vibrations (too high in cold start, high throughout) in my Civic for last few days. It is very unlike earlier three occasions of hydraulic mount change, when there was no vibration but sound coming on starting and on potholes.

I got it checked at Honda A.S.S. and the SA told me that hydraulic mount is broken. He gave me an estimate of 10-11k. I told him that I will come over the weekend and came back.

Maybe, the symptoms are different because the last hydraulic mount I got was not original Honda but of EVO (or EVA ???) brand. It lasted exactly 10k kms. I had paid Rs.4850/- (4500 + 450 labor) for it.

I replaced 1st mount at 21k kms. (under warranty), second at 36k kms. (not covered under extended warranty) and the 3rd one at 61.5k kms. Now my car is at 71.5k kms and time to change 4th time.

Any suggestion guys?
Some people on this forum have got their mount changed out of warranty for free of cost.Please check this very thread.
Old 21st November 2012, 13:57   #3942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Some people on this forum have got their mount changed out of warranty for free of cost.Please check this very thread.
Mine is a August'2006 Civic. You think they will change it for a 6+ year old car for free ?
Old 21st November 2012, 14:23   #3943
BANNED

mukesh depends whether your car falls within the recall range or not!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 15:20   #3944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
mukesh depends whether your car falls within the recall range or not!
Ok. I have kept last replaced Honda original mount. Should I get it installed before asking them to replace free of cost? If they see that I have installed some "EVO" brand hydraulic mount, they will never replace it for free.
Old 21st November 2012, 17:14   #3945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok. I have kept last replaced Honda original mount. Should I get it installed before asking them to replace free of cost? If they see that I have installed some "EVO" brand hydraulic mount, they will never replace it for free.
So, this would mean, it was done earlier outside HASS? Then less likely to have them replace it out of warranty.
Nevertheless, have a word with them with the thread reference. Lets see how it goes.

Most Viewed