Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2012, 23:42   #3961
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Next time when I am at the HASS, I will try to take a pic of the machine and if possible, the machine in action. What I have seen is that once it is set, then its an automatic process in the machine that I am talking about.

[quote=sgiitk;2972578]Have not yet seen it. I have seen skimming machines (mostly off the wheel type) abroad.

BTW, I have witnessed some problems in my car in the last few days.

1. A loud whistling sound (happened twice in the past 5 days) comes from the rear wheels (not sure left or right or both). Seems like something to do with brakes. If I press the brake pedal a few times the whistle is gone.
What could this be?

2. Is the self start of civic a little rough? I have found the self start of my Honday City to be much smoother. Is it supposed to be like this? The crank is like half self but the kind of noise the engine makes while cranking is not very smooth (please note I am not talking about vibrations here)

3. I have noticed that over the last few days the RPM which used to be around 725 earlier has a very minor increase and is now close to 775 or above but less than 800. Does this happen because of climatic change? Its starting to get cold here in Delhi now especially in the night.
Old 28th November 2012, 13:16   #3962
BANNED

@vivek5870 1. Most likely it may be the discs rubbing the pads (in a disc brake setup the discs are 'almost' in contact with the pads.

2.The boxes are about the same (only different ratios). Could be the Civic with a higher power does start off a bit 'jerkier'.

3.I will ignore it.
Old 28th November 2012, 14:58   #3963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek5870 View Post
A loud whistling sound (happened twice in the past 5 days) comes from the rear wheels (not sure left or right or both). Seems like something to do with brakes. If I press the brake pedal a few times the whistle is gone.
What could this be?
Your rear brake pads are worn out. The clip which is present at the side of the pads, (to indicate the life of the pads) is getting in contact with discs.
Replace the brake pads soon, If ignored , brakes get heated up & also it might create a groove in disc.
I faced the same issue last week, replaced the rear disc brake pads at HASS, price for the part was around 6,600Rs.
Braking has improved a lot after the replacement.
Old 28th November 2012, 15:13   #3964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, I have witnessed some problems in my car in the last few days.
1. As prof mentioned, could be the discs acting up, or maybe the audible notification, signalling the requirement to replace the pads. Peace of mind to have them checked, because, in case it is the discs, unnecessary wear and tear is happening.

2. By self start, you meant cranking? This is also something that would require an inspection. Experts might be able to tell you the case, just by the sound.

3. Civic engine, will run on higher RPM's on start, depending on the temperature. Its objective is to bring the engine temperature to the optimum operating temperature, at the earliest. So, nothing to worry. Also the hissing sound on engine stop is also the temperature adjustment that's happening.
Old 28th November 2012, 16:01   #3965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarooppatil View Post
Got the mount replaced for my Civic under extended warranty in the last week. You can give it a try at the HASS
Checked with Magnum Honda, Bangalore regarding the engine mounts.
SA said, For those without extended warranty, The engine mount warranty is valid for below 5 years old cars (mostly for the cars manufactured from 2006 - 2008 have these engine mount issues).
Wish I had taken my car an year back for checking the engine mounts (My car is more than 5 years old)
Old 28th November 2012, 16:23   #3966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Checked with Magnum Honda, Bangalore regarding the engine mounts.
SA said, For those without extended warranty, The engine mount warranty is valid for below 5 years old cars (mostly for the cars manufactured from 2006 - 2008 have these engine mount issues).
Wish I had taken my car an year back for checking the engine mounts (My car is more than 5 years old)
So far, there were different SA's giving different reasons to deny the mount warranty claim, which according to what we see, is according to their fancy.
If it is possible, please do give a try to go beyond the SA, to the next level, or even a Honda 1-1, in case it helps.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 00:24   #3967
BHPian

Thanks Prof, Sushrutha, Sarathlal for your inputs.

Another query that I have is whether the engine idling noise at optimum temperature is heard inside the cabin or not. I dont hear it at all during the day time, however when I am park the car in my office basement during day time, I do hear a faint sound of the engine idle. Also when I reach back home from office late in the night and park my car, I hear the faint engine idling sound, however this time the noise is a fraction more than what I hear in the basement during daytime.

I might be getting very picky on this front, however wanted to be doubly sure if this is normal as I have heard that Civic is an absolutely dead silent car.

Another query that I have is whether any engine treatment systems like Xado etc should be used in civic or not. Anyone who has used such treatments and what has been the experience. Please do share.
Old 29th November 2012, 09:06   #3968
BANNED

I also checked with my SA day before yesterday. He claims that Honda will now replace any failed mount within 5 years / 100,000km of purchase. So may be there is a change in policy.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 09:41   #3969
BHPian

Prof, is this for any mount or just the engine mount to be replaced within 5 years / 100000 kms? I have a bad transmission mounting and your confirmation will help me go back to HASS and press them to change my transmission mount FOC.

I have been informed by my SA that the warranty can be executed only for Hydraulic Mount and not for the Transmission Mount and that too within 5 years and for some specific VIN numbers. Not sure if they are trying to fool me around or is that the truth. Can we demand for the circular that these dealers may have received from Honda stating the same for better clarity? Has someone demanded this circular? Will they be willing to show this circular to customers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I also checked with my SA day before yesterday. He claims that Honda will now replace any failed mount within 5 years / 100,000km of purchase. So may be there is a change in policy.

Last edited by Vivek5870 : 29th November 2012 at 10:07.
Old 29th November 2012, 11:31   #3970
BANNED

Quote:
Prof, is this for any mount or just the engine mount to be replaced within 5 years / 100000 kms? I have a bad transmission mounting and your confirmation will help me go back to HASS and press them to change my transmission mount FOC.
I thought we were discussing in the context of the Engine Mount.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 12:11   #3971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Prof, Sushrutha, Sarathlal for your inputs.

Another query that I have is whether the engine idling noise at optimum temperature is heard inside the cabin or not. I dont hear it at all during the day time, however when I am park the car in my office basement during day time, I do hear a faint sound of the engine idle. Also when I reach back home from office late in the night and park my car, I hear the faint engine idling sound, however this time the noise is a fraction more than what I hear in the basement during daytime.

I might be getting very picky on this front, however wanted to be doubly sure if this is normal as I have heard that Civic is an absolutely dead silent car.

Another query that I have is whether any engine treatment systems like Xado etc should be used in civic or not. Anyone who has used such treatments and what has been the experience. Please do share.
One reason can be from Clutch adjustment.
Do you get the same sound when you depress the clutch ? if yes, just get the clutch adjusted properly.
Old 29th November 2012, 14:04   #3972
BANNED

I think the Civic has a hydraulic clutch, so adjustment is theoretically not required!!
Old 30th November 2012, 00:31   #3973
BHPian

Prof / Sushrutha, I have an automatic civic. Any other reason for that engine idling noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think the Civic has a hydraulic clutch, so adjustment is theoretically not required!!
BTW, I am experiencing whistling noise from rear wheels in my civic. Will replace brake pads this Saturday. Any suggestions or brand recommendations?

I will be going for after market brake pads. Can I get the Honda original brake pads outside? If yes, how to identify if its original Honda? Also if original Honda is not available, should I go for Nissin brake pads? Any clue on how to identify whether I am getting genuine Nissin pads or not?

Last edited by Vivek5870 : 30th November 2012 at 00:40.
Old 30th November 2012, 09:49   #3974
BANNED

I think Honda OE is Nissin (probably mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread). Remember that a lot of parts are actually sourced from outside vendors.

Sorry for missing out the obvious - whistling can be the pad wear indicator as pointed out by sarathlal.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 11:08   #3975
Senior - BHPian

I am aware this was discussed many pages back, but do not recall the conclusion, tried going back a few pages but could not locate, so please pardon for asking something that was already covered earlier.

Whats the difference between Honda Assure and a normal plane jane comprehensive insurance. Both offer Cash less claims, so it was not very obvious if one is better than the other.

Could someone throw some light on it, please. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks