Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2013, 00:04   #4396
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
I got this on the phone and they said 32k for pads and rotors front and back. This is from Sundaram Honda. They highly recommend I replace the rotors and also say skimming is not advisable. The pads + labour + skimming alone they said will be around 20k.
32K ? for the brake pads and rotors? wow !!

How many KM has the car done?
Take my advice and go to reputed independent work shop and get the pads replaced.

For a civic you can get good quality pads for under Rs3,000 for the fronts and Rs 2,000 for the rear.
1,000 for skimming the rotors.
1,000 labour charges.
You are looking at Rs 7,000 at the most!

If you get ceramic pads nothing like it. There are good Taiwan made ceramic pads available locally. See if you can get them in your city.
Old 6th June 2013, 00:14   #4397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
32K ? for the brake pads and rotors? wow !!

How many KM has the car done?
Take my advice and go to reputed independent work shop and get the pads replaced.

For a civic you can get good quality pads for under Rs3,000 for the fronts and Rs 2,000 for the rear.
1,000 for skimming the rotors.
1,000 labour charges.
You are looking at Rs 7,000 at the most!

If you get ceramic pads nothing like it. There are good Taiwan made ceramic pads available locally. See if you can get them in your city.
Exactly!! 32k for pads and rotors!!

Car has done 48k kms

7k seems like a more realistic figure. Can you please give me some brand names for the pads I can look for in Chennai? Right now in the market they seem to have Amco Thailand and Rolance. Haven't heard these names and neither has google.

I wanted to play it safe and try to get Bosch or TRW. If I can get my hand on a pair of Nissin nothing like it.

Any shops in Chennai I can try??

Last edited by flipsyde : 6th June 2013 at 00:16.
Old 6th June 2013, 11:52   #4398
BHPian

Spoke to dealers and service centres of Bosch. Apparently they don't manufacture brake pads for the Honda Civic only the Honda City. Next stop is Rane India.
Old 6th June 2013, 14:22   #4399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
...Can dents in the rocker panel be fixed? ...
The pics are not very clear...but from what I can make out, it doesnt seem to be very bad. Probably a quick job at the local tinker/painter. I guess they can use some filler material and then sand it down and paint it. No cutting/welding required.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 6th June 2013 at 14:23.
Old 6th June 2013, 19:03   #4400
BHPian

Quote:
I got this on the phone and they said 32k for pads and rotors front and back. This is from Sundaram Honda.
I do all my services at TVS Madurai (related to Sundaram Honda, Chennai) and here are the actual amounts (without taxes):

In Dec-2012:
Front Brake-Pad set - Rs.5,779
Front Rotor set - Rs.5,408
Labour for Pads+Rotors - Rs.1,100

In July 2010:
Rear Brake-Pad set - Rs.3,835
Labour for Pads - Rs.450

I have never changed the rear-rotors so far (now 6 years and 1,28,000 kms).

An example calculation with 14.5% taxes and assuming Rs.4,000 for the rear rotors the total may come to Rs.24K.

Quote:
They highly recommend I replace the rotors and also say skimming is not advisable.
I agree, for safety reasons and peace-of-mind I will never take chances with the brakes.
I never skim but would replace the rotors when required.

But then yours (particularly the rear) have worn out prematurely at 48K?
It could be either due to heavy usage or very low usage so the rotors has become rusty?
Old 6th June 2013, 22:57   #4401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I do all my services at TVS Madurai (related to Sundaram Honda, Chennai) and here are the actual amounts (without taxes):

In Dec-2012:
Front Brake-Pad set - Rs.5,779
Front Rotor set - Rs.5,408
Labour for Pads+Rotors - Rs.1,100

In July 2010:
Rear Brake-Pad set - Rs.3,835
Labour for Pads - Rs.450

I have never changed the rear-rotors so far (now 6 years and 1,28,000 kms).

An example calculation with 14.5% taxes and assuming Rs.4,000 for the rear rotors the total may come to Rs.24K.

I agree, for safety reasons and peace-of-mind I will never take chances with the brakes.
I never skim but would replace the rotors when required.

But then yours (particularly the rear) have worn out prematurely at 48K?
It could be either due to heavy usage or very low usage so the rotors has become rusty?
I got a break-up of the quote from Capital Honda and it goes something like this -

Front Brake Pads - 6600
Front Rotors - 5800

Skimming Front Disc - 1250

Rear Brake Pads - 6000
Rear Rotors - 5000

I have shown the car to Capital Honda who assure me the Front Rotors need skimming and the Rear Rotors skimming is optional though they feel its not required.

Funnily my rear brake pads are in worse shape than the fronts. The fronts according to them have another 1k to 2k kms in them.

Any which way I don't intend to spend close to 16k on the brake pads and skimming. I want to explore aftermarket options. Any suggestions???
Old 6th June 2013, 23:55   #4402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly!! 32k for pads and rotors!!

Car has done 48k kms

7k seems like a more realistic figure. Can you please give me some brand names for the pads I can look for in Chennai? Right now in the market they seem to have Amco Thailand and Rolance. Haven't heard these names and neither has google.

I wanted to play it safe and try to get Bosch or TRW. If I can get my hand on a pair of Nissin nothing like it.

Any shops in Chennai I can try??
48K KM seems a bit to early for rotor replacement, How much are the rolance pads?

Is it Rolance or Roland ?

http://www.hiwtc.com/company/1455254/

I don't know about Chennai but here in Bangalore we easily get Civics and Cedias break pads. You can even get ceramic pads which are low cost but preform very well.
I know a few cars which are running on these pads, The owners are very happy with them.

Why don't you replace the pads with something some other brand, Skim the rotors and drive around and see how the car feels?

Your car is anyway out of warranty, why don't you try an independent non @.s.s Workshop ?
Old 7th June 2013, 10:03   #4403
BHPian

Quote:
48K KM seems a bit to early for rotor replacement, How much are the rolance pads?

Is it Rolance or Roland ?

http://www.hiwtc.com/company/1455254/

I don't know about Chennai but here in Bangalore we easily get Civics and Cedias break pads. You can even get ceramic pads which are low cost but preform very well.
I know a few cars which are running on these pads, The owners are very happy with them.

Why don't you replace the pads with something some other brand, Skim the rotors and drive around and see how the car feels?

Your car is anyway out of warranty, why don't you try an independent non @.s.s Workshop ?
I fully intend to get this job done outside. In fact I only go for the regular service to the A S S to maintain a service record. All major part replacements are done at Hi Rev garage in Chennai. Usually I purchase the part from the market just to make sure they are OE or OE equivalent and then get the garage to do the replacement.

My second opinion at Capital Honda (another A S S) was contrary to the first one where they said skimming of the front rotors are more than enough and the rear rotors don't even need that. I just need to slap on some new pads and I'm good to go.

So now I am not looking at rotor replacement at all. Just skimming and that too from an independent garage. However I'm still hunting for replacement brake pads. Currently in the market I have Rolance, FBK and Ammco Thailand brand. Nissin is out of stock and they aren't sure when they will receive stock. Of the three I am able to trace FBK which is a Malaysian company manufacturing brake pads. But I don't want to take a chance. I would much rather take known or tested brands like Nissin, Bosch, TRW Rane etc.

I also don't mind going in for Hawk or EBC brake pads as far as their prices are comparable to the US and they don't excessive dust or noise issues. I don't drive my car too hard too often so extreme performance is not really top of the charts.

I don't mind getting the pads from Bangalore. Any shop/brand you'd recommend?
flipsyde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 10:07   #4404
BHPian

On a parallel note for those of you in Bangalore/Chennai who have managed to wear out your steering wheel leather - contact Satish Rai of Pensee Leather 09886394638.

I was in Bangalore last week and got my steering wheel leather replaced with black leather and red stitching and it looks amazing! Factory finish and quite reasonably priced. I am definitely going back to get my gear boot leather replaced soon. Guys in Bangalore MUST check this place out.

I will post pictures very soon.
flipsyde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 16:47   #4405
BHPian

Looks like I got lucky! I casually called Benz Auto in GP Road to ask them if they could tell me when to expect the OE pads when he said he just received stock and needless to say I was there in less than an hour!

And here is what I bought...

All this OE goodness for Rs.4800/-

Called my garage and told them to expect my vehicle to come in for disc skimming and pad replacements tomorrow.

It came with a installation guide and a small packet of grease. The installation was in Japanese and English. These were the best looking pads in terms of finish and packaging. The other options were Roulunds from Denmark manufactured in Haryana for the front pads and FBK from Malaysia for rear pads. This combination would have cost me Rs.2200/- for the set but I was advised against it by my garage since it happens to be prone to noise and dust as I rack up the miles.

Alternatively I also got a quote for Hawk Performance pads. They were 9k for the rear alone! Definitely not for me. Especially with sedate driving most of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-cymera_20130607_162433.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-cymera_20130607_162445.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-cymera_20130607_162502.jpg  

flipsyde is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 22:34   #4406
BHPian

The above so called Honda brake pads are 100% FAKE!

Firstly Honda will never ever write its vendors name.
Nissin is not Honda's vendor but secondary good quality substitute.
thirdly the Nissin written on the pads is not proper the font style is different specially the S letters.
Even Honda written font is not right.

Please dont put this in your car if you love your car, Go ahead and bang this brake pads on the shopkeeper who sold it to you.
Old 7th June 2013, 23:34   #4407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't mind getting the pads from Bangalore. Any shop/brand you'd recommend?
If you were/are in Bangalore give me a buzz I can tell you where to buy them from. Or if you are not I will be more than glad to send you the parts you need

Quote:
And here is what I bought...
The installation was in Japanese and English. These were the best looking pads in terms of finish and packaging. The other options were Roulunds from Denmark manufactured in Haryana for the front pads and FBK from Malaysia for rear pads. This combination would have cost me Rs.2200/- for the set but I was advised against it by my garage since it happens to be prone to noise and dust as I rack up the miles.

All this OE goodness for Rs.4800/-
Seems like good stuff! 4800 for both or just the fronts? Have got them installed yet? When you are installing the new pads could you please post pictures of the Original OEM ones?

The reason For the increased noise and brake dust from the Thailand brand could be = more ceramic and less metal on the pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post

thirdly the Nissin written on the pads is not proper the font style is different specially the S letters.

Please dont put this in your car if you love your car, Go ahead and bang this brake pads on the shopkeeper who sold it to you.

I beg to differ from you on this.
Check out these Pads they have the Honda logos too. Maybe they are fake but most of the ones on the net all have Honda logos.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_4619.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_4620.jpg  

Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 14:05   #4408
Senior - BHPian

My Civic's mount gaps were reducing.For preventive maintenence i decided to get them changed this month.Had called up bhpian JatinPatel (WagenWerk, refer team-bhp directory).He took a test drive and found that it was not needed to be changed immediately so i decided to put it off for now.He however did say that my suspension is shot and would probably need a overhaul.I am putting that on hold as of now as well i really dont' have the dough.

I managed to snap a couple of pics of the mount which would have been replaced with if i had gone ahead with the change.Now this is not the genuine mount and i was quoted 4.8K for same and 750 bucks for the labor.But at almost half the price of the original Honda mount this would be be fine enough for a year or two.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0024.jpg

Notice the humongous gap between the metal and rubber parts something which is decreasing in my car.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0023.jpg

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 8th June 2013 at 14:06.
Old 8th June 2013, 14:26   #4409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post

I don't agree on your theory of Honda never writing its vendors name. I have seem many parts of Honda sold in the A S S with the vendors name clearly written on the product. And this is not just with Honda, I have seen many Toyota parts coming from the A S S with the vendors name on it.

Though there is a chance what I have with me is fake I don't have other options for anything around this price point. The only other thing I can think of is Roulunds Pads which will cost me around Rs.3200/- a pair. These are manufactured in India and come with a proper box which says Roulunds Braking and an MRP/Manufactured by sticker. The only thing I am not sure is the performance of these pads.

OE from the A S S is Rs.13200/- for the set. And I flatly refuse to believe they will provide me with 3 times the stopping power of the Nissins I have or 4 times that of Roulunds.

So whats your suggestion? Stick with the Nissins in hand or exchange them Roulunds?
Old 8th June 2013, 14:33   #4410
BHPian

Quote:
If you were/are in Bangalore give me a buzz I can tell you where to buy them from. Or if you are not I will be more than glad to send you the parts you need

Seems like good stuff! 4800 for both or just the fronts? Have got them installed yet? When you are installing the new pads could you please post pictures of the Original OEM ones?

The reason For the increased noise and brake dust from the Thailand brand could be = more ceramic and less metal on the pads.

I beg to differ from you on this.
Check out these Pads they have the Honda logos too. Maybe they are fake but most of the ones on the net all have Honda logos.
I was in Bangalore last weekend but I am back in Chennai now. Thanks for offering to help me out with this but I am not sure if the Nissin pads in Bangalore are going to be much different.

I paid Rs.4800/- for both. I will surely put up side by side comparison pics when I am getting them installed which will be Monday.

So whats your take on this? Should I stick with the Nissins in hand or should I get Roulunds?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks