Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2013, 20:54   #4846
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
I am about to close the deal on a 2006 Civic S AT -76k odo,full service history for 3.3L. Gurgaon Registration. 60% NCB on Ins. I will be taking the mechanic with me tomorrow, please guide me what all i need to check in the vehicle.Took a brief TD today and felt fine.
Also how much FE can i expect considering my driving style gives 12 in city & 15-17 on highways in a 2008 Swift (Pre K-Series)

I could feel when the vehicle was downshifting on immediate acceleration.Is it normal ? Is it the case with automatics?

What all should i get the vehicle checked for? If possible should i take it to do the nearest HASS , would they be of some help? I am a little worried as i haven't driven an automatic earlier.I guess i should check the pedal shifting and all as well.

What else.Quick help would be highly appreciated.
Sorry edit time out. Its a V AT.Please help.
Old 19th September 2013, 21:11   #4847
BHPian

Quote:
I am about to close the deal on a 2006 Civic S AT -76k odo,full service history for 3.3L. Gurgaon Registration. 60% NCB on Ins. I will be taking the mechanic with me tomorrow, please guide me what all i need to check in the vehicle.Took a brief TD today and felt fine.
Also how much FE can i expect considering my driving style gives 12 in city & 15-17 on highways in a 2008 Swift (Pre K-Series)

I could feel when the vehicle was downshifting on immediate acceleration.Is it normal ? Is it the case with automatics?

What all should i get the vehicle checked for? If possible should i take it to do the nearest HASS , would they be of some help? I am a little worried as i haven't driven an automatic earlier.I guess i should check the pedal shifting and all as well.

When you accelerate hard or, lift your foot and press accelerator swiftly (captured by A-PEDAL sensor), ECU downshifts the gear. This is normal for automatics and called kick-down.

Check for following things:
1. Greasiness in radiator reservoir pipe (That can indicate head issues) - also check for efficient coolant circulation.
2. Wheel bearings, alignment patterns (uneven wear due to camber), brake disc condition (pads can be exempted) in wheels
3. Leaks/condition of headlight/taillamp and effectiveness/reflection
4. Pull out weather strip and check for color differences in body paint (Indicates paint job)
5. A/C functioning and radiator working. 3-4 mins of idling is enough. temperature should stay at 45% (indicative) and not increase than the half way
6. Check for transmission jerks as each gear shifts. At 80K some CIVICS undergo gear part replacements and clutch disc overhauls (As told to me by HASS engineers).
7. Look out for transmission shift-lock rescue-slot abuse. Too much of usage of that slot indicates transmission abuse.
8. Check for loose panels near steering assembly and near ICE setup. It can indicate "over engineering" or too much of dis-assembly for upgrades/repairs.
9. Check for rust on door panels from inside and rattling parts on doors. Other parts are usually well-fit and should not be an issue.
10. For a car of that age, second battery will be in mid-life and third set of tyres (second set will be due for replacement if not done) should be already in place. Automatics fail without good battery.
11. Check engine for any whirring, chattering noise. Could be issue wth valves
12. Check vibration in steering. Engine mounts, autotensioner, torque converter, steering pump issues have been discussed at length before and each of them have a noise pattern and vibration under varying conditions of idling, moving, cold start and warm start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
Mine is a 08 V A/T, i haven't seen it to upshift, i have to try again. Does it downshift aswell in D mode ?
2006 CIVIC AT does not support paddles in 'D' mode.

Last edited by devsoftech : 19th September 2013 at 21:14.
devsoftech is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 21:29   #4848
BHPian

Quote:
I am about to close the deal on a 2006 Civic S AT -76k odo,full service history for 3.3L. Gurgaon Registration. 60% NCB on Ins. ......
Hello there,

Is the NCB also being transferred?

Can we transfer NCB from one driver to another?

Or, have I got it wraaang, Baaas? Haha.
Old 19th September 2013, 21:30   #4849
BHPian

Questions mentioned below. Any way to be sure that the vehicle is non accidental by looking at the body line.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
When you accelerate hard or, lift your foot and press accelerator swiftly (captured by A-PEDAL sensor), ECU downshifts the gear. This is normal for automatics and called kick-down.

1. Greasiness in radiator reservoir pipe (That can indicate head issues) - also check for efficient coolant circulation.
- Will do
2. Wheel bearings, alignment patterns (uneven wear due to camber), brake disc condition (pads can be exempted) in wheels
- Tyres were fairly new , will check for uneven wear / tear.
3. Leaks/condition of headlight/taillamp and effectiveness/reflection
will check
4. Pull out weather strip and check for color differences in body paint (Indicates paint job)
5. A/C functioning and radiator working. 3-4 mins of idling is enough. temperature should stay at 45% (indicative) and not increase than the half way
- Check
6. Check for transmission jerks as each gear shifts. At 80K some CIVICS undergo gear part replacements and clutch disc overhauls (As told to me by HASS engineers). - Do automatics need clutch disc overhauls.If yes then how much does it cost approx?
7. Look out for transmission shift-lock rescue-slot abuse. Too much of usage of that slot indicates transmission abuse.You mean the gear shift lever locking in positions ?
8. Check for loose panels near steering assembly and near ICE setup. It can indicate "over engineering" or too much of dis-assembly for upgrades/repairs.
Check
9. Check for rust on door panels from inside and rattling parts on doors. Other parts are usually well-fit and should not be an issue. - Check
10. For a car of that age, second battery will be in mid-life and third set of tyres (second set will be due for replacement if not done) should be already in place. Automatics fail without good battery. - Battery is 1 yr old
11. Check engine for any whirring, chattering noise. Could be issue wth valves
12. Check vibration in steering. Engine mounts, autotensioner, torque converter, steering pump issues have been discussed at length before and each of them have a noise pattern and vibration under varying conditions of idling, moving, cold start and warm start. - Hope the mechanic understands all this

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hello there,

Is the NCB also being transferred?

Can we transfer NCB from one driver to another?

Or, have I got it wraaang, Baaas? Haha.
No NCB can't be transferred from one owner to another.I just indicated to show that no claim has been taken as per records.

Last edited by k2max6 : 19th September 2013 at 21:37.
k2max6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 21:34   #4850
BHPian

Quote:

Hello there,

A thorough list, indeed.

Recommend that you post it also in the thread that is specifically about buying pre-worshipped cars.

Last edited by skdking : 19th September 2013 at 21:46.
Old 19th September 2013, 21:54   #4851
BHPian

Quote:

- Tyres were fairly new , will check for uneven wear / tear.

6. Check for transmission jerks as each gear shifts. At 80K some CIVICS undergo gear part replacements and clutch disc overhauls (As told to me by HASS engineers). - Do automatics need clutch disc overhauls.If yes then how much does it cost approx?

7. Look out for transmission shift-lock rescue-slot abuse. Too much of usage of that slot indicates transmission abuse.You mean the gear shift lever locking in positions ?

Any way to be sure that the vehicle is non accidental by looking at the body line.?
Tyres if polished and sprayed with tyre polish will look new. Check the tyre manufacturing year and week. Also check for tyre depth, sidewall health.

I recently did transmission overhaul (discussed in few pages before). I had to replace 8+8+6 discs @ INR 520 each. This is not same as the clutch+pressure plate system used in manual transmission (torque converter will be your equivalent - usually lasts more than the time you want to retain your car ). These are dedicated for each gear ratios. Check with a honda service centre, they usually keep track of recommendations for each car. If the previous owner is fed up with the upcoming costs in transmission overhaul, he could be passing that costs to you.

There is a rescue key-hole near the "P" position of gear lever. If there is an issue with transmission getting stuck (or some transmission related failure), or abuse of parking position (too much load on parking pin) - The "locked" gear shaft is rescued by slipping the key (or thin flat screwdriver) in the slot. That presses a lever below and allows you to move the gear shaft from the locked state. Too much usage indicates frequent "stuck" gear shaft and calls for some part repair. For first time user, stuck gear lever will cause lot of confusion.

Any way to be sure that the vehicle is non accidental by looking at the body line. - Not an expert on this, but the color under the weather strip should match with external paint - which otherwise indicates a repair/dent job.

Also previous owner enjoying 60% NCB does not always translate into a well maintained car. If minor errands cost less (say within 10K) and can be done outside HSS, nothing like it. You save on premium and save the history of some mishap that's difficult to trace. I once traced replacement of a windscreen in a Tucson by seeing manufacturing date of windscreen as future (2008) than the purchase year of the car (2005). but then we are not lucky always to have such hints. General rule is a weel maintained car will do the needful repair and replacement as recommended by manufacturer. Some folks skip manufacturer recommendations and do not replace parts-leading to issues in future. in HSS history such entries are highlighted as CNA (Customer Not Approved). Beware of such cars - They have not done timely justice to their cars.

Last edited by devsoftech : 19th September 2013 at 22:03.
devsoftech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 22:20   #4852
BHPian

If you floor the pedal, AT box will downshift to give you the required push.

Check the car for any vibrations and for any signs of worn out engine mounts - a common problem with Civic of that year. Also check the suspension behavior.

If you know a trustworthy mechanic (from HASS or other place), get him inspect the vehicle. In my opinion, HASS used car inspection service is not very good, I used them twice (in Mumbai) to inspect two vehicles I was buying and their tests were not thorough enough to uncover any unobvious problems. It costed around 1300 bucks in 2011.

Does the civic you are buying come with full service history? If yes, you're getting a good deal IMHO.

Quote:

infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 22:36   #4853
BHPian

Does the post facelift version of civic (2009) has the paddle shift operation in D mode ?
Old 19th September 2013, 23:05   #4854
BHPian

Quote:
Does the post facelift version of civic (2009) has the paddle shift operation in D mode ?
Mine, 2007 (original) model does not.
Old 19th September 2013, 23:28   #4855
BHPian

Quote:
Tyres if polished and sprayed with tyre polish will look new. Check the tyre manufacturing year and week. Also check for tyre depth, sidewall health.

I recently did transmission overhaul (discussed in few pages before). I had to replace 8+8+6 discs @ INR 520 each. This is not same as the clutch+pressure plate system used in manual transmission (torque converter will be your equivalent - usually lasts more than the time you want to retain your car ). These are dedicated for each gear ratios. Check with a honda service centre, they usually keep track of recommendations for each car. If the previous owner is fed up with the upcoming costs in transmission overhaul, he could be passing that costs to you.

There is a rescue key-hole near the "P" position of gear lever. If there is an issue with transmission getting stuck (or some transmission related failure), or abuse of parking position (too much load on parking pin) - The "locked" gear shaft is rescued by slipping the key (or thin flat screwdriver) in the slot. That presses a lever below and allows you to move the gear shaft from the locked state. Too much usage indicates frequent "stuck" gear shaft and calls for some part repair. For first time user, stuck gear lever will cause lot of confusion.

Any way to be sure that the vehicle is non accidental by looking at the body line. - Not an expert on this, but the color under the weather strip should match with external paint - which otherwise indicates a repair/dent job.

Also previous owner enjoying 60% NCB does not always translate into a well maintained car. If minor errands cost less (say within 10K) and can be done outside HSS, nothing like it. You save on premium and save the history of some mishap that's difficult to trace. I once traced replacement of a windscreen in a Tucson by seeing manufacturing date of windscreen as future (2008) than the purchase year of the car (2005). but then we are not lucky always to have such hints. General rule is a weel maintained car will do the needful repair and replacement as recommended by manufacturer. Some folks skip manufacturer recommendations and do not replace parts-leading to issues in future. in HSS history such entries are highlighted as CNA (Customer Not Approved). Beware of such cars - They have not done timely justice to their cars.
So you mean to say that rescue hole must be showing some signs of wear and tear /damage ?
What are the signs indicating requirement of transmission overhaul.
How reliable is the AT anyway? Some people are scaring the hell out of me and saying don't go in for an automatic,its risky business.I'll get it checked at HASS though.

Last edited by k2max6 : 19th September 2013 at 23:35.
Old 19th September 2013, 23:58   #4856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the facelifted version has paddle shifts enabled in D mode.
Old 20th September 2013, 00:07   #4857
BHPian

Is it a wise decision to buy a 7 year old Civic (3.30L) ? I was earlier thinking of getting the amaze for 5.5L (E variant - almost 2 L over the civic).I understand a new car is a new car but in your eyes bhpians how does a 7 year old civic fairs up against a brand new amaze?
Old 20th September 2013, 06:48   #4858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it a wise decision to buy a 7 year old Civic (3.30L) ? I was earlier thinking of getting the amaze for 5.5L (E variant - almost 2 L over the civic).I understand a new car is a new car but in your eyes bhpians how does a 7 year old civic fairs up against a brand new amaze?
The amaze would be the 'logical' choice but one doesn't always follow thay principle now, do we?

A 7 year old Civic or a 5 year old Civic, it really doesn't matter. The car is lauded to be roadworthy for years to come. My Civic is almost 7 years old and its still a beauty, both in looks and performance. It all comes down to how well the car has been maintained.

You'll have to do a more comprehensive check. Try and negotiate for something close to Rs 3 lakhs.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:00   #4859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine is a 08 V A/T, i haven't seen it to upshift, i have to try again. Does it downshift aswell in D mode ?
Quote:
All the cars I test drove were the facelifted ones, that is, post September 2009. And yes, all them upshifted and downshifted in 'D' mode as well.

So now it is clear that the pre-facelifted Civics do not have paddle shifts in 'D' mode whereas the newer ones have it enabled.
Old 21st September 2013, 20:46   #4860
Team-BHP Support

Just slight clarification to add here. The older civics I think didn't have paddles working in D mode but the facelift ones do. IN FACT, the paddles working in D mode was introduced a little before the facelift. I have an Aug 09 civic that was just before the facelift launched and the paddles shifts in my car work in D mode.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks