Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2013, 16:25   #5011
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Can you please let us know the brand or the part number ? Thanks.
Just do an amazon search for Honda Civic Cabin Air filter. I have used brands like MANN and FRAM, and they fit perfectly. They are in the 10-15 USD range
Honda Brand OEM is available for less than USD 25.
One link below
http://www.amazon.com/Mann-Filter-MC...bin+air+filter

rgds
VineetG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 01:05   #5012
Senior - BHPian

Just picked up a couple of cabin filters as I am in US now. Here too the HSC charges some $120 or so to replace it while we can get it for about $10 - 15 outside.

For those who have installed this in India, does it make any perceptible difference? I have picked up ones which are chemically treated and have some 'freshly washed' smell.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 08:43   #5013
BHPian

Quote:
Is this normal for a 55K Servicing?

Sent my car for the regular 55K servicing - actually it has run 55,650 kms till this morning.

The service engineer from HASS (Whitefield, Bangalore) called me and told me that the following needs replacement:
  1. Clutch + Cylinder = Rs. 22,000
  2. Lower Suspension = Rs. 7500
  3. Battery = Don't Know the price yet
  4. Windscreen wiper rubber

I've asked him to go ahead. But just wanted to know you folks if this is normal for a 2008 MT Civic or if I'm being taken for a ride in my Civic

My driving profile is as follows: 80% city driving clocking about 8kms per day; for the remaining 20% it is on highways with pretty high speeds and occasional braking.

During the 50K servicing, I was told that the clutch might need some serious "inspection" the next time; and the battery was changed about three years ago.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
So, my car is back after replacing the (a) Lower Arms; (b) Clutch Mechanism - NOT the flywheel; and (c) battery. Total Cost is about Rs. 41,000/--

Here are some of the pictures of the OLD parts, and the cost / part name details of the NEW parts. Figure B is the close-up of Figure A. According to HASS (Whitefield Honda) in Figure B, the portion shown by the arrow (rubber) has worn out and hence needed replacement. Figure F is the back-side of Figure E.

I'm not an expert to determine if this part is really worn out. Need your help to check if this has really worn out

Also, what do I do with these old parts now? Is there any "use" for these, or I should simply discard them. Thanks in advance your advice and insights.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20131101-06.58.39.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20131101-06.58.57.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20131101-06.59.17.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20131101-06.59.34.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20131101-06.59.47.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20131101-07.00.47.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20131101-07.04.38.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20131101-07.05.17.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20131101-07.05.31.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20131101-07.06.06.jpg  

Tempelhof is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 09:50   #5014
BANNED

A quick search on Google thrown us AC Delco, FRAM and many others in the $15-35 range. Most of these have a rigid frame, but I came across one without. Since the Accord uses the same filter I am sure it is available from spare dealers at at least a 30% lower price.

If someone is going ahead with imports, then I am also game for a couple of these. I am not too keen to order directly myself, since a couple of HID replacement bulbs shipped out by UPS are still missing after two weeks plus. Sitting in Postal Customs I presume.

I found a Fram one on eBay.in from toytoon2013 for Rs.2432. The item is located in Mombai. So have ordered it.

Last edited by sgiitk : 1st November 2013 at 10:04. Reason: Order details added
Old 1st November 2013, 10:49   #5015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are some of the pictures of the OLD parts, and the cost / part name details of the NEW parts. Figure B is the close-up of Figure A. According to HASS (Whitefield Honda) in Figure B, the portion shown by the arrow (rubber) has worn out and hence needed replacement. Figure F is the back-side of Figure E.
Thanks for sharing.

OT: From the photos of the parts, out of the four, just one item is imported, and rest are locally made. That's good to know.
Old 1st November 2013, 19:20   #5016
BHPian

Hi all civic owners, can you please clarify these for me.

1. Planning to used Shell synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid (Spirax S5 or S6) for my civic. Is there any specific grade needed (like 75W90 etc). Also, as per manual 1.6 ltr should suffice ?

2. Also plan to use Shell DOT 4 Ultra brake fluid as well. What is the needed quantity for this ?

Any other good aftemarket brand fluid recommendations for above welcome.
Old 2nd November 2013, 11:04   #5017
BANNED

I prefer the Castrol juice for brakes. Also, KBX have their own brand.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 17:26   #5018
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,

My Civic's stereo buttons for volume and the folder seem to been interchanged ie the volume control now changes the folder and the folder button changes the volume. Battery was disconnected and checked again but the issue remains.
Anyone has any clue how to resolve this ?

Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 15:11   #5019
BANNED

Looks like a wiring issue to me. Did it happen after some work on the car?
Old 4th November 2013, 14:10   #5020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Looks like a wiring issue to me. Did it happen after some work on the car?
It happened after a repair job for the fuel pipe.Battery was disconnected for quite sometime during the repair work.
Old 4th November 2013, 15:23   #5021
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Just do an amazon search for Honda Civic Cabin Air filter. I have used brands like MANN and FRAM, and they fit perfectly. They are in the 10-15 USD range
Honda Brand OEM is available for less than USD 25.
One link below
http://www.amazon.com/Mann-Filter-MC...bin+air+filter

rgds
Presumably Amazon takes care of the customs. Speed is my issue. I have some stuff costing all of $25 which was shipped out USPS still missing after three weeks.
Old 4th November 2013, 15:49   #5022
BHPian

BHPians, I have a weird problem.

I drove my Civic AT for 1700 KMs (around 28 hours) with adequate rest stops over the last 3 days, mostly on NH4. Today, on my way back from the road trip, when I was only 2 KMs from my home the battery indicator showed up and started blinking slowly.
I parked my car at my home and after 4 hours started it up again and this time there was no battery indicator during the time I had the car engine idle for 5 minutes.
This is a relatively new battery (Exide Matrix, completely sealed & maintenance free) that I bought in July. What could be the problem here?
Old 4th November 2013, 20:10   #5023
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure but the battery indicator lighting up would mean that the alternator is not charging.You should get the same checked out at a good garage.
Old 4th November 2013, 20:42   #5024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Presumably Amazon takes care of the customs. Speed is my issue. I have some stuff costing all of $25 which was shipped out USPS still missing after three weeks.
Once I had some items shipped to me from Hongkong. It took more than a week, and I tried to figure out where the packet was. On interacting with the seller I got to know it had indeed reached India. So the seller tracked it for me and said it is with customs, and normally it takes a while.

I figured out that it reaches the customs speed post office of the main city of the region the packet is supposed to reach, in my case Bangalore. I called them up gave the tracking number the seller had given me. They indeed had the packet with them, and was under the process of opening it and deciding the customs duty! Since it was in bangalore, i decided to meet them with my invoice. On seeing the invoice, they calculated the duty, asked me to sign on the agreement of duty.

Then they took their sweet time to pack it up and send to me via speed post. The duty had to be paid on receipt of the speed post. After tracking the packet to customs speed post centre to me getting it was about a fortnight , altogether 7 weeks from the order date
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 20:15   #5025
DWC
BHPian

Thanks to a few of the Bhpians here, i'm also contemplating going in for a pre owned Civic AT. There just looks like theres too much value in the deal at today's prices.

However, after reading a lot about your experiences here on the forum, especially in this thread, i'm getting a little confused. Although she's a great car to drive, there are quite a few niggles that keep popping up over the years (more than you would expect, anyway).

I know the car is great to drive and I will end up saving a lot on the cost of a new car which I can put towards the maintenance of the civic, but the main question is do I really want to shell out big bucks in maintaining a 6-7 year old car? Or would I be better off waiting for the new jazz? The thing is ive driven the Civic and the old Jazz. The heart says Civic and the head says Jazz. Luckily for me, the wallet also seems to go along with the heart (if you know what I mean).

So basically i'm already tilting towards a pre owned Civic AT, I just need the final push. So where better than to post here in the Civic Maintenance thread.

Jokes aside guys, would appreciate your valuable inputs. I know about the issues with the engine mounts, and will check for leaks in power steering liquid.

Ive never driven an automatic before, so is there anything specific I should be keeping my ears open for on that front?
DWC is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks