Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2013, 10:26   #5071
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Has any one changed Front Wheel bearings? What is the approximate cost?

What are the symptoms that you got before identifying the problem?

It turns out that my (new) pads are touching the disks at some instance on free running amounting to the squeal. I thought it could be the bearings.

On braking, the squeal goes away as the disk and pads behave as designed, but since the pad has a tendency to touch the disks, the squeals results!

Now need to pay a visit to my FNG and sort it out. May be a bit of sanding might help.
Old 18th November 2013, 12:59   #5072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
I may drive the car for 25 or 30 km in a week
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Seems like you're hardly giving the engine enough time to warm up (8 kms per run minimum as the manual says). Even so, 6 kmpl is too less.
I completely agree with spadix.

Note that I have got 15 kmpl to even 17 kmpl on the AT, on long highway drives at steady speeds of around 85 kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
It turns out that my (new) pads are touching the disks at some instance on free running amounting to the squeal.
Were the new pads bought from H.A.S.S or elsewhere?
And were they installed at H.A.S.S?

Apart from wearing out the pads/rotors fast, the FE will also drop.
I will try to solve this problem immediately.
Old 18th November 2013, 17:10   #5073
BHPian

Ok i have this weird problem now
I recently purchased a pre owned Honda Civic AT , the car drove smoothly for a month , today i was back after a trip from Pune , the car was parked for a week however when i inserted the key today a green light came up , probably the immobilizer, now the car would crank up but not start , tried everything , the green light would not go.

Called up Honda they said entire key lock system needs to be changed costing 10.5k . Please advise what to do.

P.S: I dont know if the key given by the first owner is original or not but it worked flawlessly for a month
Old 18th November 2013, 17:17   #5074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroheadd View Post
I recently purchased a pre owned Honda Civic AT , the car drove smoothly for a month , today i was back after a trip from Pune , the car was parked for a week however when i inserted the key today a green light came up , probably the immobilizer, now the car would crank up but not start , tried everything , the green light would not go.

Called up Honda they said entire key lock system needs to be changed costing 10.5k . Please advise what to do.

P.S: I dont know if the key given by the first owner is original or not but it worked flawlessly for a month
This could also be due to either 1) remote key battery failing 2) or your car battery is low. I had a similar issue and the poor battery was the root cause.
Old 18th November 2013, 17:21   #5075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroheadd View Post

Firstly try it with the other key, if that also doesn't work then probably immobilizer needs to be configured. I don't think there is any need to change the locks as immobilizer is code setting which can be configured.
Old 19th November 2013, 09:15   #5076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think there was a pictorial description in this thread that showed inserting a coin or something to check if the gap is there between the mounts and the body.
Is this the post?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2352049
sarathlal is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 09:28   #5077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Were the new pads bought from H.A.S.S or elsewhere?
And were they installed at H.A.S.S?

Apart from wearing out the pads/rotors fast, the FE will also drop.
I will try to solve this problem immediately.
This is an experiment under progress with Ceramic pads. Its a complete DIY, as if you know the concept of changing the pads, they are very easy to DIY. Since I don't have any long distance runs for sometime, I am getting the experiments done. I will update if the experiment yields results.

I go to my FNG, and does the stuff myself. I visit them for the easy access of tools and the ramp

The issue as on date was identified to a small trapped sand particle between the pads.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 23:38   #5078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Hey Sarath. Yup. That's the one. I just took few pics of my car's engine mount and seen this. Looks like it's ok? But now that I compare the pics from laluks post, seems the gap is there but it's less or kind of closing in on the mount. Any idea if this needs a replacement now or later? Just FYI, the previous owner replaced the mounts nearly a year back but I think I might have driven less than 5k after purchasing it from him. So not entirely sure if the mounts are that weak or whether Honda did indeed replace them in the first place.
Oh....and BTW....I called up Cosmic Honda service center and reported the low mileage of 5.5 or 6 I have been getting and the idiots said 'sir...that's normal...we can't improve that'. So there goes my confusion whether to trust stupid H.A.S.S or go with my FNG.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20131119_232149_resize_20131119_233343.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20131119_232254_resize_20131119_233342.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20131119_232018_29569_resize_20131119_233341.jpg  

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 19th November 2013 at 23:57.
Old 20th November 2013, 03:35   #5079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Sarath. Yup. That's the one. I just took few pics of my car's engine mount and seen this. Looks like it's ok? But now that I compare the pics from laluks post, seems the gap is there but it's less or kind of closing in on the mount. Any idea if this needs a replacement now or later? Just FYI, the previous owner replaced the mounts nearly a year back but I think I might have driven less than 5k after purchasing it from him. So not entirely sure if the mounts are that weak or whether Honda did indeed replace them in the first place.
Oh....and BTW....I called up Cosmic Honda service center and reported the low mileage of 5.5 or 6 I have been getting and the idiots said 'sir...that's normal...we can't improve that'. So there goes my confusion whether to trust stupid H.A.S.S or go with my FNG.
Mount can still go for some more time, but is narrowing down.
please take the car to an alternate HASS for mileage, bcoz Civic AT gives much more.

If possible, try to getting the ecu reset. This will allow the Civic to 'forget' old driving pattern, an will learn yours. Believe me, after some 'learning', it will indeed change gears as if you are on telepathy with it.
Old 20th November 2013, 04:13   #5080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My normal daily drive is less than 4 kms one way which doesn't give enough time to warm up the engine and I get between 8 to 10 kmpl (as displayed on MID) depending upon the traffic situation for that drive. For longer drives within city limits, once the engine has warmed up, I get it closer to 11 kmpl. And on highways, it has been in 13 to 15 range depending on terrain and driving style. Best case was 18 kmpl over 140 kms when the rpm was kept below 3000 throughout and with judicious use of paddles. So there should be something that you can do to improve your numbers. Btw, I have a 2010 V-AT.

Last edited by vasoo : 20th November 2013 at 04:17.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 06:36   #5081
BHPian

Quote:
Mount can still go for some more time, but is narrowing down.
please take the car to an alternate HASS for mileage, bcoz Civic AT gives much more.

If possible, try to getting the ecu reset. This will allow the Civic to 'forget' old driving pattern, an will learn yours. Believe me, after some 'learning', it will indeed change gears as if you are on telepathy with it.
The alternate HASS is Peninsular and I have not been hearing anything good from them either. Let me give them a call and try anyway. Cosmic is actually pretty popular here, surprised by their reaction. Like I said, my Optra is currently maintained by my local FNG and I would say the car seems to be in a better shape than when it was serviced by CASS. And for him it's not outright replacement for every part, he would check if it can me repaired or has multiple outlets for parts and gets the best price and quality.
So I really planned to hand over the Civic to him but the problem is stuff like ECU reset and anything like that, not sure if he has the tools for that. He is more of that old school mechanic but very good in the work, know him ever since I was a kid. Or I got to take it to the more tech friendly garage, like from Bosch.
So I'll leave the engine mount for now. Will handle that later.

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 20th November 2013 at 06:41.
Old 20th November 2013, 09:05   #5082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I really planned to hand over the Civic to him but the problem is stuff like ECU reset and anything like that, not sure if he has the tools for that. He is more of that old school mechanic but very good in the work, know him ever since I was a kid. Or I got to take it to the more tech friendly garage, like from Bosch.
So I'll leave the engine mount for now. Will handle that later.
ECU reset involves only a series of steps I believe, something like removing the battery connection, applying it back after some time or that sort.
The steps that these people use to do the body painting will result in the ECU reset, for example.
Currently I donot have access to the user manual, can you please check whether something is mentioned in there?
Old 20th November 2013, 10:28   #5083
BANNED

Quote:
ECU reset involves only a series of steps I believe, something like removing the battery connection, applying it back after some time or that sort.
I remember a post somewhere (I think here) about the on-off sequence for an ECU reset. A prolonged removal of the batter definitely does that as well.
Old 20th November 2013, 10:47   #5084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ECU reset
Civic ECU reset:

Get into your car, shut the door etc, and turn the key full on to the point just before it cranks.

Press the accelerator fully to the floor and hold it there for 30 seconds.

After that don't touch the key, or door or anything but sit and wait for 2 minutes.

Then start the car and drive off. You should notice a difference in the way the throttle and transmission behave.
mukeshgoel is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 10:51   #5085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I remember a post somewhere (I think here) about the on-off sequence for an ECU reset. A prolonged removal of the batter definitely does that as well.
Yep, found this;

www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/47997-honda-civic-maintenance-service-costs-must-dos-186.html#post2661542

Edit: Oh, mukeshgoel, you beat me to posting the details

Last edited by sarathlal : 20th November 2013 at 10:53. Reason: Didnt see the question already answered
sarathlal is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed