Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2013, 19:26   #5101
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Try this in your CIVIC.

1. Sit inside the car
2. Make sure all door are closed
3. Press lock button on the remote - this arms the door locks, and Theft Alarmstatus will be activated to ARM.
4. Unlock any door.
5. Open that unlocked door which sets door ajar status as OPEN
6. Theft Alarmstatus goes to TAMPER and then to Alarm Optical Audible. On receiving Alarm Optical Audible the Body Computer sends appropriate requests to blinkers and horns, and they come on.
7. Press unlock button on the remote
8. Theft Alarm will be set to DISARM, and Body computer tells the blinkers and horn to stop
9. Close the door, which makes door ajar status as CLOSED
10. Press lock button on the remote - this arms the door locks, and Theft Alarm will be activated to ARM.

Hope now you know how to get the horns next time

Last edited by laluks : 21st November 2013 at 19:30.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 05:46   #5102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
I simulated the door locking. I pressed the button (as if I closed the door), and used the remote to lock. The cabin light dimmed and doors were armed. Then I released the button (To simulate bad switch / break-in). The alarm did not go off - which means that my car is not designed to send out alarm for break-in . My central locking is silent and I'm surprised with this behaviour today. Anything else I can suspect chief ?
@devsoftech, there is nothing wrong in your car's alarm system, because, Civic's alarm will not go off, if you try to unlock the car manually, and the key is in the car's proximity.

You need your friend's help to simulate what you are trying to do.
You can sit inside the car, and ask your friend to lock the car from outside, standing near to the car, using the remote. (The red light will start blinking in the dash, indicating the alarm is armed)
Request him to move far away from the car (No need to be very far, but some normal distance away would do).
Now, try to open any door, and the alarm will go off.

Last edited by sarathlal : 22nd November 2013 at 05:49.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 06:04   #5103
Senior - BHPian

@devsoftech

What sarathlal said is valid. But this is an intermittent issue I faced in my 2006 Civic too. The horn and the blinkers would go off and I'd have to press the unlock button again to stop it. The remote battery had become weak and the problem didn't surface once I changed the battery.
Old 22nd November 2013, 10:59   #5104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
@devsoftech, key is in the car's proximity.
Request him to move far away from the car (No need to be very far, but some normal distance away would do).
Are you sure that the civic key has a proximity sensor? Can you pls check and let all of us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Try this in your CIVIC.
Nice one Lalu! Am using your post for mine below....

Quote:
I simulated the door locking..... My central locking is silent and 'm surprised with this behaviour today. Anything else I can suspect chief ?
What happened with you could be due to a one off malfunction due to dust or moisture on the body/door sensors.

Guys you can also try the following as a test for the second and third line of defense because someone can actually enter the car without opening the door by bypassing the sensors in someway or lol...simply via the window, just crack the glass and get in. The body/door sensors wont go off here IMO.

So try this...i have tested it on my car -
1. Sit inside the car
2. Make sure all door are closed
3. Press lock button on the remote - this arms the door locks, and Theft Alarm status will be activated to ARM.
4. Insert the key and turn the ignition on!
5. Important - test on the immobilizer - The car should not come on if you try to crank it!
6. As you implement step "4" Sensors kick in and theft Alarm status goes to TAMPER and then to Alarm Optical Audible. On receiving Alarm Optical Audible the Body Computer sends appropriate requests to blinkers and horns, and they come on.
7. Press lock/unlock button on the remote
8. Theft Alarm will be set to DISARM, and sensors/body computer tells the blinkers and horn to stop everything is back to normal.(including immobilizer)

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 22nd November 2013 at 11:29.
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:52   #5105
BHPian

Quote:
I simulated the door locking. I pressed the button (as if I closed the door), and used the remote to lock. The cabin light dimmed and doors were armed. Then I released the button (To simulate bad switch / break-in). The alarm did not go off - which means that my car is not designed to send out alarm for break-in . My central locking is silent and I'm surprised with this behaviour today. Anything else I can suspect chief ?
After you lock the red blinker on console flashes with higher frequency than normal for about 10 secs. If you release the "button" within these 10 secs there wont be any alarm. Try releasing after 10 secs when the blinker blinks at a lower frequency and a alarm should sound. If it does not then there seems to be a issue with the system.
alto99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:02   #5106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Are you sure that the civic key has a proximity sensor? Can you pls check and let all of us know.
The keys we have do not have such features, since Passive Entry is not a feature in our Civics. What the key has is a transponder which gets active in the field produced near the Key hole. And RF signals are there for the lock/unlock requests.
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:18   #5107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
The keys we have do not have such features, since Passive Entry is not a feature in our Civics. What the key has is a transponder which gets active in the field produced near the Key hole. And RF signals are there for the lock/unlock requests.
Hence proximity wont matter in this context right?
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:54   #5108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
After you lock the red blinker on console flashes with higher frequency than normal for about 10 secs. If you release the "button" within these 10 secs there wont be any alarm. Try releasing after 10 secs when the blinker blinks at a lower frequency and a alarm should sound. If it does not then there seems to be a issue with the system.
My 2006 model does not have any blinkers on the console to indicate a security system being armed. I have seen the same on post 2006 models. However, whatever each one of you suggested - I will give it all a shot. First thing on my list is to replace the battery on the remote. Though I suspect if its bad, as it still locks/unlocks the car doors. I love this community, got so many things to try out. Thanks everyone for the pointers.
Old 22nd November 2013, 13:04   #5109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hence proximity wont matter in this context right?
That's my understanding.
Old 22nd November 2013, 14:21   #5110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Hello,

Initially I was left confused. But now I can say, very detailed instructions by you.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 22:31   #5111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have tried this earlier, when I bought the car I guess.
am unsure on the proximity sensors, but can definitely say that, it can understand whether we are trying to open the car from inside with key in hand or if the attempt is when the key (driver) is not in the car. Even a tiny transponder within the key can help do this I guess.

Unfortunately, me n my civic is currently not at the same place to retry now.

Last edited by sarathlal : 22nd November 2013 at 22:33.
Old 22nd November 2013, 22:38   #5112
BHPian

Quote:
My 2006 model does not have any blinkers on the console to indicate a security system being armed. I have seen the same on post 2006 models.
My July 2006 S MT has the red blinker on the console indicating the security system being armed. How come yours doesn't, is it a busted LED?
Old 23rd November 2013, 12:50   #5113
Senior - BHPian

Anybody here who have upgraded from 195 section tyres to 205, have you noticed a considerable drop in FE?
Old 23rd November 2013, 14:54   #5114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Anybody here who have upgraded from 195 section tyres to 205, have you noticed a considerable drop in FE?
I have 205 on my car though i havent noticed any drop in fe there is a slight drop in initial pickup and the steering got a bit heavier.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 16:12   #5115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I have 205 on my car though i havent noticed any drop in fe there is a slight drop in initial pickup and the steering got a bit heavier.
Thank you.

I am planning to upgrade the alloys on the Civic. Considering the rough roads I go through once in a while, I was planning to stick to 15 inchers. But a friend feels that 15" aftermarket alloys would make the Civic look under tyred. He says if I am changing the stock wheels, I should atleast upgrade to 16" ones!

Now, I think 195/55 R16 is a size which is not freely available. Bridgestone offers one, but has a much lower load rating. Hence, if I upsize the wheels, I will have to opt for atleast 205/55 R16. Hence the query.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks