Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2013, 14:09   #5161
Senior - BHPian

Manual Transmission fluid for the Civic.

Guys,

I wanted to change the manual transmission fluid on my Civic. I had gone to opera house, Shetty motors but was told that there are 2 kinds of fluid red and white and i needed to tell them which one my car was using. Since i had no idea what kind of fluid is used i didn't buy any.

Incidentally Shetty motors also did not stock 10 w 30 mineral engine oil and was shown Castrol edge 04w-40.So which other brand besides Mobil will have a 10w 30 grade.

Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 17:17   #5162
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
I'm using a 2007 Civic AT which clocked nearly 90k kms till date.
Mine is also an 2007 AT, done 1,30,000 kms.

Quote:
Is it really worth to spend 60k - 70k (approx) on such an old car, do some minor cosmetic changes like changing seat covers, plastic panels etc. to get a bit of NEW CAR feel and use it for another 20-30k kms?
Why do you need 60K?, the routine services may do and your problems may be solved with much less.
I personally like the Civic as-it-is, it is still in perfect factory-assembled shape and beautiful! (only routine services done so far).

If it had been maintained properly in the past, it has a lot more of trouble-free years into the future, mine still feels new! (and has none of the problems you have mentioned).

Last edited by manim : 14th December 2013 at 17:23.
Old 14th December 2013, 20:49   #5163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Mine is also an 2007 AT, done 1,30,000 kms.

Why do you need 60K?, the routine services may do and your problems may be solved with much less.
I personally like the Civic as-it-is, it is still in perfect factory-assembled shape and beautiful! (only routine services done so far).

If it had been maintained properly in the past, it has a lot more of trouble-free years into the future, mine still feels new! (and has none of the problems you have mentioned).
Just gave it to service. The regular service estimate is Rs. 12k and including some suspension issues, engine & gear box mounts, he gave an estimate of another 35k totalling to around 50k.

And for the hard power steering, he said there are some leaks and the hoses and all should be changed giving an estimation of a whopping 30k only for this. Experts help please?
Old 15th December 2013, 08:02   #5164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just gave it to service. The regular service estimate is Rs. 12k and including some suspension issues, engine & gear box mounts, he gave an estimate of another 35k totalling to around 50k.

And for the hard power steering, he said there are some leaks and the hoses and all should be changed giving an estimation of a whopping 30k only for this. Experts help please?
Pull out the car from the service station and get a second opinion from a good independant garage.Even if your car has the problems mentioned it will cost you roughly half what the hass is quoting to get everything fixed.
Old 15th December 2013, 09:25   #5165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Pull out the car from the service station and get a second opinion from a good independant garage.Even if your car has the problems mentioned it will cost you roughly half what the hass is quoting to get everything fixed.
Ya that's what I'm thinking. Letting them do the regular service and just changing the steering ball joints,engine mount and 1 more part from them. For the rest of the work including that power steering, I'm planning to get it done outside.
Old 15th December 2013, 10:17   #5166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post

On another note, my Civic is giving a knocking / popping sound when going at speed in the range of 30 to 40 km/hr on sharp road undulations

1. Replace 'anti roll bar drop link'
2. Check 'strut assembly upper rubber mount'
3. Check bump stop
4. Check 'drop links'
5. Replace rubber suspension bushes

I also have Coil Spring Assisters installed in both front and rear coils. Look forward to inputs on 'if this has been faced by any of you' and 'if there are any known fixes'.
My accord had the same problem. Went away by replacing the stabilizer bar link kits.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 13:25   #5167
BHPian

Quote:
Ya that's what I'm thinking. Letting them do the regular service and just changing the steering ball joints,engine mount and 1 more part from them. For the rest of the work including that power steering, I'm planning to get it done outside.
Please get the engine mount replacement done outside HAAS (if you have a trusted mechanic). I got it done at less than half of what HAAS was asking for 1 year back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
My accord had the same problem. Went away by replacing the stabilizer bar link kits.
Thanks. Will appreciate if you can provide some more details, in terms of where you got it replaced and how much it costed you.
Old 15th December 2013, 15:48   #5168
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks. Will appreciate if you can provide some more details, in terms of where you got it replaced and how much it costed you.
The source could be either the stabilizer (aka anti-roll bar) bushes or link kit. My front left link kit was a goner. I had replaced the original a few months back with a 'good' denso after market part which failed. So, learnt the lesson the hard way and replaced the pair at the dealership . Around 1.8k each if I recollect.
Old 15th December 2013, 23:44   #5169
BHPian

I took my car to HSS yesterday to figure out the central locking issue. Service advisor said he would need to inspect the whole electrical wiring and advised me to come on Monday. Plagues by this injustice, I decided to figure out the wiring myself. I removed all the panels, weatherstrips, boot linings. I have removed auto rollup module (scorpio), reverse parking sensor, video camera, blue lighting in cabin. Now the car is stock. I fixed insulation at so many places. The installers had done real pathetic job in the past. They just sourced power from any where they felt like - no crimping. No wonder there are so many fire hazards. I realised today what it takes to be a professional installer. Most of the installed upgrades were standard honda accessories (so must have been done by dealer, and its unacceptable in my books). I downloaded a Honda CIVIC repair manual ($12 from tradebit.com, merchant: fixyourcar - Not sure how legal is this) and I'm happy with the kind of information it has. Offlate I was also suffering from "Late shift after shifting from N to R, or excessive shock when shifted into R" - and this repair manual explains everything. It talks of some Honda Diagnostic System (HDS), which connects to OBD port and reports errors. As you might be aware that usually ECU stores fault codes, there are actually fault codes that only HDS can see and normal OBD-II compliant system does not see. I tried simulating some HDS codes hoping my torque app will read it as a fault (which I will DTC clear), but torque app could never see it (though by design it would have been logged). How do I get this HDS ? Is it a software ? HDS can be used to debug all solenoids too.

Anyways to kill your curiosity, here's what the manual suggested for my issue:
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-debug.png

I could not copy from the pdf, hence printed it and scanned it back.

Also, tried restoring the elegance of the lens on meter console. Blame it on carelessness by HSS, it is not restorable.
So I decided to procure the parts from hondapartscheap.com online (thanks to some folks trying to source parts from there). It is most likely owned by South Bay Honda, as the whois address list the same address

I'm not affiliated with any of the channels listed below and it was my finding from googling. I'm always open to better and cheaper way of importing stuff from US/Thailand. Here's what I did:

1. Got a virtual US address from ppobox.com
Address is something like this:
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]FirstName LastName - ICC World[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]
250 West 40th Street
8th Floor, PPO # MYPOSTBOXNUMBER (-Pkg ID no. if available)
New York, NY, 10018, USA
Tel.: 212-398-0780

I created a new Pkg ID by using http://www.ppobox.com/ppoform.aspx (Enter a new package information). Please see that I do not have a order ID at this time, and I was told by ppobox customer representative that if we fill this form in advance, we will get a package ID that can be appended to our MYPOSTBOXNUMBER. We always have the option of editing the actual order details after generating the ID

2. Did the actual shipping from hondapartscheap.com, used paypal to pay for the service (Bank charged 5% surcharge on international payment - why ?).
Parts were for $130, and shipping to US was for $61.

Following parts were ordered.

[/SIZE][/FONT]
78159-SNA-A01 LENS $13.71
1 $13.71 78156-SNA-A11 LENS, METER $17.42
1 $17.42 36750-SMA-003 SWITCH ASSY., STOP & CRUISE (PANASONIC) $4.13
1 $4.13 36770-SNA-A12 SWITCH ASSY., AUTO CRUISE & AUDIO REMOTE $54.58
1 $54.58 78515-SNA-A81 GUIDE, CORD $11.07
1 $11.07 76203-SNA-A01 MIRROR SUB-ASSY., R. (R1400) $16.50
1 $16.50 76400-SDA-A03 MIRROR ASSY., REARVIEW (DAY/NIGHT) $12.69
1 $12.69 Subtotal : $130.10 Shipping (FedEx Express U.S. Shipping - FedEx Express Saver) : $61.61 Handling : $3.95 Total : $195.66

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]3.Waiting for arrival in my virtual address. PPOBOX will send me intimation after it arrives and will revert with an online payment link that takes care of shipping to India and clearing the customs. That price is unknown to me. Will update once it arrives in India. [/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited by devsoftech : 16th December 2013 at 00:14.
Old 16th December 2013, 19:26   #5170
Senior - BHPian

ICC world is the one I guess who sends to India for ebay GlobalEasyBuy. My experience is that shipping plus customs almost will be near to the billed amount, atleast that was what used to happen in ebay purchases through them. Once they get in their hand, they'll send immediately and I used to recieve in about 10 days time including customs. After customs it comes to you via Bluedart. You can track the shipment all the way.

I hope we both are referring to the same ICCworld
Old 17th December 2013, 07:13   #5171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
(Bank charged 5% surcharge on international payment - why ?)

Am quoting the most OT part of your otherwise very informative (thank you!) post. This is the currency conversion fee and is standard in all foreign exchange transactions because of a bunch of fees and charges that your bank has to pay to a lot of intermediaries for your transaction. Different banks will have slightly different rates but 5% is mostly par for the course.

Regards,
spadix
Old 17th December 2013, 09:31   #5172
BHPian

Just came back from my 70,000 Kms service. The following was done
- Standard Service with oil and oil filter change (Mineral Oil)
- Wiper Blades replace ~ 1600 rupees
- Injector Cleaning : Free (as part of promotion at the workshop)
- Interior Dryclean : Free (As i had purchased their on road side assistance for INR 1750, they had given me a coupon for free interior cleaning
- Wheel Alignment Balancing : Free, Had a coupon from them from before

- Rear Number Plate bulb replacement : 60/-
- Some throttle body cleaning : ~ 350/- (though was not really required, but i thought ok)
- Coolant and some other fluids top up : No Charge
- Some greasing of suspension bush : No Charge

Total : ~ 5600/- inclusive of servicing costs, oil, filter, wiper blades etc, taxes.

Everything done at Ring Road Honda. Car is out of warranty. Got is done at ASS because of freebies.
Will also have to get the next service done there at 80K as the fuel filter needs to be changed, and i don't want to get that part from outside.

Overall, very satisfied. Car was delivered on time

Rgds
Old 17th December 2013, 10:03   #5173
BHPian

I just got the AMC done for my Civic by Arya Honda Lalbaug. They charged me 16800/- for the AMC package which includes 4 service with 2 oil and filter change. Also they gave me 5000/- worth of 3m car treatment which can be once for exterior and interior beautification and also 1 wax polish which can be availed after 6 months. These 4 service includes 1 major service which is at every 20k and other 3 minor or semi-major service.This AMC is valid for 1 year and 20k kms.
As my car had done around 47k so went for the major service this time itself. It included Throttle Body cleaning, replacement of air filter, change of engine oil and filter scanning done by Honda Diagnostic system, suspension re-torque. Also got the coolant changed ( this was charged extra) . The total cost for all these was coming to 15k ( including the 3m treatment ), while I paid 16,800 + 1600 ( for coolant and minor clips) + 1400 ( to use synthetic oil instead of mineral oil ). Considering still 3 services left and I've paid approx 5k extra I feel I've taken the right decision.
And by the way after this service car is again back to it's original charm.
Old 17th December 2013, 11:35   #5174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
got the coolant changed ( this was charged extra)
The first coolant change is recommended by Honda only in 2,00,000 kms/10 years.
I did it in 1,00,000/5 years.

So any reasons as to why you did it in only 47K?

edit:
Read after posting that yours is a 2006 model, so time for the change!

Last edited by manim : 17th December 2013 at 11:38.
Old 17th December 2013, 20:53   #5175
BHPian

Quote:
Please get the engine mount replacement done outside HAAS (if you have a trusted mechanic). I got it done at less than half of what HAAS was asking for 1 year back.

Hi,
Good to see someone from Hyderabad. I am considering a pre-owned Honda Civic or Honda City Automatic variants(S AT). City suits my need more.

Since you have already been on this path, could you please help me with my queries:

1. Where did you buy your pre-owned Civic from? Dealer or individual
2. How much did it cost you?(Variant/year/kilometer run for)
3. Post purchase did you need any major maintenance?
4. Heard of issues like engine mount and D blink in Civic, did you encounter any of these issues? going through the forum learnt that these are pretty heavy on the pocket to get fixed.
5. You also mentioned about a trustable mechanic to get your Civic serviced.. Could you share the contact and which service center he works for?

I know, i have a lot of queries. I never bought a used product so far, but in my case this seems to be the best option as my running is low(16k kms on my Santro in 7 years). Doesn't really make sense to go for 10 L new car

Really appreciate if you can take time out to help me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks