Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2014, 10:55   #5641
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I'm thinking of getting the engine oil changed at an independent garage, save on costs. Can anyone help me out with the following?

1. Which brand of engine oil and quantity required? I think it's 3.7 litres?
2. Does the fuel filter also need to be changed?
Old 1st July 2014, 11:34   #5642
BHPian

So after nearly seven years and 48000 km the infamous engine mount on my 2007 VMT taffeta white civic has gone kaput. Infact I had been hearing some sharp metallic sound while driving at low speeds for the past couple of months. Total expense Rs 8xxx. Now the car is back to its normal smooth self or as manim sir would say butter smooth. The biggest plus after the service is I found the correct seating position. Yes after seven long years. The moment I got into the drivers seat after the service I felt really comfortable. The driver at the service centre had adjusted it for his comfort perhaps and it jus suited me. Crazy.
Old 1st July 2014, 12:00   #5643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I'm thinking of getting the engine oil changed at an independent garage, save on costs. Can anyone help me out with the following?

1. Are you looking at mineral oil or synthetic ? For synthetic ones, Mobil 1 and Shell are good in my opinion. I have tried Mobil 1 twice and now my Civic is on the Honda Synth Idemitsu (0W30). The issue is there is no 0W30 available in Mobil 1. Also, I guess it would be good for you to get a 4L can.

2. I am not sure if you were referring to the oil filter here. If so, the answer is 'yes'. The fuel filter need not be replaced while changing engine oil and has a different frequency - 40k km.
Old 1st July 2014, 12:53   #5644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have tried Mobil 10W 30 mineral, Total 10W 40 semi-synthetic and now running shell helix 5W 40 fully synthetic.Of all these i have found the Honda OE semi-synthetic to be the most smoothest. I reckon you stick with Honda OE oil as it will be a better bet and is also the exact grade as mentioned by the manufacturer.Also the total actual quantity for the Civic engine is 4.5 liters but i guess since some oil still remains in the sump etc while draining so you would need around 4 liters.I got the shell for 950 a liter.The fuel filter needs change every 40k kms.
Old 1st July 2014, 13:11   #5645
BHPian

@ Sumeethaldankar .. sorry for the late reply.
To answer your question, after i bought my Civic (pre-owned), for the first oil change i just went with the Idemitsu at the HASS. After that for the next oil change i shifted to Shell Helix Ultra and have used it twice since. However, i did not find THAT great an improvement over the Idemitsu. Don't get me wrong, the engine is very smooth but i find a little coarseness at high revvs (though i'm not sure that's only down to the oil) so i thought i'd change brands this time and see the difference. I'm contemplating between Mobil 1 / Total / Motul / Idemitsu. Any suggestions anyone ?
revvhed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 15:49   #5646
BANNED

@rr_zen; At one time Castrol used to have a 0W30 (Syntron?)
Old 1st July 2014, 16:22   #5647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
@ Sumeethaldankar .. sorry for the late reply.
To answer your question, after i bought my Civic (pre-owned), for the first oil change i just went with the Idemitsu at the HASS. After that for the next oil change i shifted to Shell Helix Ultra and have used it twice since. However, i did not find THAT great an improvement over the Idemitsu. Don't get me wrong, the engine is very smooth but i find a little coarseness at high revvs (though i'm not sure that's only down to the oil) so i thought i'd change brands this time and see the difference. I'm contemplating between Mobil 1 / Total / Motul / Idemitsu. Any suggestions anyone ?
The first oil change for my Civic was mineral oil after which I have had two fill ups of Mobil 1 0W40 synthetic oil. I recently switched over to the Idemistu synthetic oil provided by H.A.S.S and do not see any noticeable difference in engine smoothness as its been butter smooth always. Also, at high revvs am sure any car would reveal some harshness irrespective of the oil used since the engine is being pushed hard and that is very much normal.

Last edited by rr_zen : 1st July 2014 at 16:30.
Old 1st July 2014, 16:49   #5648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
1. Are you looking at mineral oil or synthetic ? For synthetic ones, Mobil 1 and Shell are good in my opinion. I have tried Mobil 1 twice and now my Civic is on the Honda Synth Idemitsu (0W30). The issue is there is no 0W30 available in Mobil 1. Also, I guess it would be good for you to get a 4L can.

2. I am not sure if you were referring to the oil filter here. If so, the answer is 'yes'. The fuel filter need not be replaced while changing engine oil and has a different frequency - 40k km.
1. Synthetic. Honda Synth Idemitsu (0W30) sound s good. I'll get a 4L can.
2. Yes. Pardon me. I meant the oil filter.

Any idea how much these would cost otc?
Old 1st July 2014, 17:03   #5649
Senior - BHPian

I was driving on the OEM mineral oil for more than 3 years and in my recent service I changed to the OEM fully Synthetic oil (Idemitsu ?). I can feel that the overall the NVH has come down after this change. Not sure if it is just a "feel good" factor or a measurable difference. In fact my wife commented on a recent trip that the car sounds quieter.
Old 1st July 2014, 17:07   #5650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Synthetic. Honda Synth Idemitsu (0W30) sound s good. I'll get a 4L can.
2. Yes. Pardon me. I meant the oil filter.

Any idea how much these would cost otc?
The last oil fill at HASS costed me circa 4k INR.
Old 1st July 2014, 18:13   #5651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
The last oil fill at HASS costed me circa 4k INR.
Thanks for the info. So the oil filter has to be changed every time you change the oil?

Any idea about the make and cost?

I'm thinking of buying the oil and filter otc and take it to a FNG to get it changed.
Old 1st July 2014, 18:24   #5652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. So the oil filter has to be changed every time you change the oil?

Any idea about the make and cost?

I'm thinking of buying the oil and filter otc and take it to a FNG to get it changed.
if you are changing outside HASS, then most likely you are going to encounter oil filters made by elofit, something around 150/-
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 18:38   #5653
Senior - BHPian

@coolkurt: I would suggest you do the oil change at H.A.S.S only as the price difference between HASS and an outside garage only for the oil change may not be significant. You can wait and collect your car. It takes about an hour or so at the most.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 09:33   #5654
BANNED

I have been using the OEM Idemitsu/Savita 0W30 for the past three years. No issues, only the oil is rated API-SM and not API-SN. Both exceed the specified SL but are not SN which is the latest spec.
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:30   #5655

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
Hi Anunay! Welcome to the forum and to the now limited(since they're not selling these in India anymore) Honda Civic Club.

Although I do not know about Honda workshops in Cal, I can give you a rough estimate of how much the brake-work would come down to, since my '08 baby just came back from a much needed 50,000 km service which demanded a lot of attention the brakes and related components.

A complete replacement of all the brake pads(front and rear pairs) will cost you INR 15,000/-; that's INR 7500/- per pair.

The brake disc skimming for all 4 discs will be INR 2500/-

The caliper on my front RHS needed replacement and just 1 caliper bought from the Honda workshop set me back by a HUGE INR 12,500/-
Replacing all 4 could buy you a used Maruti 800

So, only brake-work bill for me was INR 30,000/- WITHOUT TAXES OR LABOUR CHARGES.

But since brakes are the most primary of all things as far as safety of the occupants of a vehicle goes, I got it done without a doubt in mind. And if your car needs some TLC in the brake department, I'd suggest you drive it down to a good Honda workshop, get it diagnosed and spend your buck on the necessities first.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Cheers.
Thanks a tonne for your advice and inputs. Immensely appreciated..

Most Viewed