Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2014, 21:20   #5656
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

A quick question for you Civic experts.

My Civic has been showing signs of a dying battery of late, and I'm thinking of replacing it. However, I've read somewhere (I think in the manual, but I'm not sure) that the sound system locks itself when it loses power, and needs to be unlocked with a security code once power is restored (an anti-theft feature).

Since there seem to have been a lot of battery replacements for Civic, I was wondering, is this security code thing true? Has it happened to anyone yet? I don't have the security code, where would I get it if I need to use it?

My apologies if this question has been answered before, I've searched the forum and this thread, and haven't been able to find an answer.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Old 3rd July 2014, 21:23   #5657
BANNED

Armrest lock broke, tried mending with feviquick or bond but no luck, any idea from to buy this lock online, if i go to honda they will say to buy full assembly which I don't want.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-imag0024.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2014, 23:58   #5658
BHPian

I sourced it from US. One of the online sites. Got it delivered to an US address and got it to India via another guy. In total it costed me 10 dollars.
Old 4th July 2014, 11:58   #5659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponkermania View Post
A quick question for you Civic experts.

My Civic has been showing signs of a dying battery of late, and I'm thinking of replacing it. However, I've read somewhere (I think in the manual, but I'm not sure) that the sound system locks itself when it loses power, and needs to be unlocked with a security code once power is restored (an anti-theft feature).

Since there seem to have been a lot of battery replacements for Civic, I was wondering, is this security code thing true? Has it happened to anyone yet? I don't have the security code, where would I get it if I need to use it?

My apologies if this question has been answered before, I've searched the forum and this thread, and haven't been able to find an answer.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Not really heard of such a thing. I replaced my Civic's battery when it was 3 years and 4 months to be precise. I could have managed with it for a few more weeks to be quite honest but didn't want to take that risk.

Do you really want to wait till the battery dies down completely? I would suggest you go ahead with the replacement if you are convinced that the battery is dying unless you want to do the experiment with the security code.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 12:32   #5660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponkermania View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Not really heard of such a thing. I replaced my Civic's battery when it was 3 years and 4 months to be precise. I could have managed with it for a few more weeks to be quite honest but didn't want to take that risk.

Do you really want to wait till the battery dies down completely? I would suggest you go ahead with the replacement if you are convinced that the battery is dying unless you want to do the experiment with the security code.
I second that. Never take chances with a dying battery.
Since mine is an AT, I will replace it at once, if I get the slightest doubt.

I did get stranded once when my OEM battery died on the highway (details on this thread in Feb-2010).
I got help from a company which sent guys with a battery to jump-start it.
I had to wait on the highway for a couple of hours in hot-sun, thankfully I was with my friend and not with my family.

And No, there is no security-code after an reset, only the clock has to be set.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 14:02   #5661
Senior - BHPian

There is a rather strange problem with my car. The indicator stalk does not revert to its original position after making a 'right' turn. It works 10% of the time and the rest of the time I have to do it manually.

Took this up with H.A.S.S and I was told that its got to do with the spring tension and the SA said he would try to have that tweaked. There has been no improvement after the so-called 'tweaking' and when I checked back with the SA, seems like the only solution is to replace the assembly which might set me back by a few thousands of rupees.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue and is there a solution for it without having to replace the entire assembly? Thanks.

Again, I cant help but compare - my 11 year old Esteem has never had such niggles ever. So much for Honda quality.

Last edited by rr_zen : 4th July 2014 at 14:03.
Old 4th July 2014, 15:59   #5662
BANNED

Just train your finger to push it back. I have had this sort of a problem in some of my earlier cars and that is what I did.
Old 4th July 2014, 17:13   #5663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a rather strange problem with my car. The indicator stalk does not revert to its original position after making a 'right' turn. It works 10% of the time and the rest of the time I have to do it manually.

Took this up with H.A.S.S and I was told that its got to do with the spring tension and the SA said he would try to have that tweaked. There has been no improvement after the so-called 'tweaking' and when I checked back with the SA, seems like the only solution is to replace the assembly which might set me back by a few thousands of rupees.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue and is there a solution for it without having to replace the entire assembly? Thanks.

Again, I cant help but compare - my 11 year old Esteem has never had such niggles ever. So much for Honda quality.

Suggest take it to a good garage instead of HASS. My oldie 800 had this issue because a plastic piece which causes the turn indicator to cut off when the steering is turned in the direction reverse to the indicator had broken off.It was so irritating and believe me when i got the civic i was so relieved when i did not have to switch off the indicator manually.
Old 4th July 2014, 18:04   #5664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Suggest take it to a good garage instead of HASS. My oldie 800 had this issue because a plastic piece which causes the turn indicator to cut off when the steering is turned in the direction reverse to the indicator had broken off.It was so irritating and believe me when i got the civic i was so relieved when i did not have to switch off the indicator manually.
I agree its quite frustrating to turn it off manually everytime. After all, one doesn't buy a premium car to go through this manual ordeal. I need to find a good workshop outside of H.A.S.S for more reasons than one as my car is also out of warranty.

Also, one thing I have learnt from H.A.S.S - No repair, only replace !

Last edited by rr_zen : 4th July 2014 at 18:18.
Old 4th July 2014, 20:18   #5665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree its quite frustrating to turn it off manually everytime. After all, one doesn't buy a premium car to go through this manual ordeal. I need to find a good workshop outside of H.A.S.S for more reasons than one as my car is also out of warranty.

Also, one thing I have learnt from H.A.S.S - No repair, only replace !
I was told in the face by Hass service advisor that its Honda's policy to replace and not repair.From that day onward i made sure that i went to Honda only if the car needed a part which was not easy to procure from outside eg the fuel filter or for something like the HDS (Honda diagnostics scan).
Old 4th July 2014, 20:35   #5666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I was told in the face by Hass service advisor that its Honda's policy to replace and not repair.From that day onward i made sure that i went to Honda only if the car needed a part which was not easy to procure from outside eg the fuel filter or for something like the HDS (Honda diagnostics scan).
I cant agree more with you. Problem is to find a competent local garage who can get the job done without any hassle. Chennaites, any pointers in this direction ? Thanks.
Old 5th July 2014, 10:46   #5667
BHPian

Honda Civic Maintenance and Service Costs and Must dos

Issues with my used S AT just dont seem to go away.

1) With monsoons arriving in full load in Mumbai, the car now has started smelling "decomposed" everytime i sit in (looks like water goes into some components and is throwing out this smell). Mind you this is not after I turn on the AC blower but just when I sit in. Anyone else faced this - any known solutions ?

2) Another problem cropped up late last evening was the brake lights seem to stay on even with the car being parked with no key inside. Luckily got a local battery place that fixed the switch for me (below steering above footwell) for Rs.50. Is this common ?

3) The battery that came with the car looks like a local / chinese make - and while it works well on my jumbo double woofer and amp set up, it throws out water that leads to fungus like residue formation around the contact points (this was what caused my music system to trip off - as mentioned in one of my earlier posts in another thread). Local battery guy is offering a 46 Tata for 5k and a 46 Exide for 5700 with warranty. He says the acid that leaks out will eat into other parts of the engine bay. Should I change the battery ?

4) A week after my major service, a local garage where I fixed my suspension fitters showed that my engine coolant was well below average line. Now I am not sure if this was leakage or HASS just missed to top it up in the major service. Though the temp indicator never crosses beyond mid way even in long drives, the engine does get super hot and stays hot for atleast couple of hours after car is parked. What brand / variant of engine coolant should I get if i plan to top this up locally ?

Last edited by salunkhe.vizz : 5th July 2014 at 10:48.
Old 5th July 2014, 14:09   #5668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
Issues with my used S AT just dont seem to go away.
Sorry to hear about the back to back issues cropping up with your ride.
IMO, you should take the car back to the Honda workshop where you got your last major service done and ask them to run a full diagnosis on the car, following which they'd give you the list of problem areas that need to be rectified and parts that need to be replaced and of course, a rough estimate of the damage.

Because, considering your car has just come back from a major service, these niggles shouldn't really be coming up. However, we can give the change in weather the benefit of doubt Hence, my recommendation would be for you to go back to HASS and get a better picture. With that you'd also know if the jobs were properly done during the last service or if the local mechanic is taking you for a ride. All the best
Old 6th July 2014, 00:54   #5669
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I second that. Never take chances with a dying battery.
Since mine is an AT, I will replace it at once, if I get the slightest doubt.

I did get stranded once when my OEM battery died on the highway (details on this thread in Feb-2010).
I got help from a company which sent guys with a battery to jump-start it.
I had to wait on the highway for a couple of hours in hot-sun, thankfully I was with my friend and not with my family.

And No, there is no security-code after an reset, only the clock has to be set.

Thanks guys, for the confirmation, I'm really relieved now. And yes, I completely agree with you guys on not waiting till the last minute, especially since mine is an AT.

The curious thing is, even though its showing the slow starter, along with the very dim headlights and internal lights, and even slow moving central locking when the engine is off, when it last went for service about a month ago, the Honda workshop did a battery test, and it returned a report saying the battery health is good. The service advisor advised me not to replace it, since it was good.

I wanted to switch batteries with another car, to verify if the battery really does need replacing, but I was a bit scared of the security lock on the stereo. Thanks to you guys, I needn't worry about that now!
Old 6th July 2014, 14:30   #5670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
Issues with my used S AT just dont seem to go away...

The smell could be from damp carpets etc.Get those checked out.Check if the passenger side is wet below the carpet as this is the place under which the a/c drainage pipe is located.If the same is clogged water will get accumulated under the carpet and this could raise a stink.

For the battery get rid of the same asap as it will eat the metal.Typically a battery ( from experience with my Maruti 800) spews acid if the alternator is over-charging.Get rid of the battery and have the alternator checked out too but i am not sure about this.

The engine coolant that I topped up with is the blue fluid Golden cruiser.It's available along with the Amaron battery with Jatin Patel (Wagen Workz) as i had bought both from the same place where he operates from. You can give him a call for same. I think it's around 218 Rs per liter.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 6th July 2014 at 14:31.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks