Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2014, 19:16   #5671
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Had a minor incident a few hours back where an lorry banged my rear at crawling speeds when I was going over a speed-breaker.

The right-rear-light-cluster glass was slightly broken.
The whole cluster was slightly pushed inside and the bumper has slightly come out.
Planning to leave it as it is for now, since functionally all the lights work.
And HASS may charge huge for this small job.

Going to paste the broken piece back with some good quick-glue tomorrow.
And try to use transparent tape to seal the gaps to prevent dust and moisture entering inside.

Will try to post photos of the damage tomorrow.
Old 7th July 2014, 11:26   #5672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Had a minor incident a few hours back where an lorry banged my rear at crawling speeds when I was going over a speed-breaker.

The whole cluster was slightly pushed inside and the bumper has slightly come out.
Planning to leave it as it is for now, since functionally all the lights work.
And HASS may charge huge for this small job.

Going to paste the broken piece back with some good quick-glue tomorrow.
And try to use transparent tape to seal the gaps to prevent dust and moisture entering inside.

Will try to post photos of the damage tomorrow.
Ouch ! That hurts. I haven't seen the pics but one thing I would suggest to try pushing the bumper back into place. I had a similar shunt two years back and one side of my rear bumper dislodged itself from the clips and was hanging out. I tried pushing it back and it snapped back in place.

Also, if the light cluster is broken then there is possibility of water and dirt getting into it and may interfere with the functioning of the lights. I know it would cost a bomb to get the unit replaced but you may have to do that at some point in time for sure.

Last edited by rr_zen : 7th July 2014 at 11:32.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 11:30   #5673
BANNED

The bumper is a soft polymer, and I have pushed it out at least twice, both cases courtesy Tempos.
Old 7th July 2014, 13:46   #5674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sorry to hear that.

Bangalore traffic often sees some two wheelers kissing Civvy's rear bumper often. Bumper can normally be pushed back in place if there are no tears.

Rear light was about 4500 a few years back, when I had to replace it. If you can seal the outer glass well, then that should do the trick. For me, there was a small piece missing, so I had to replace.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 15:22   #5675
BHPian

My civic's battery is dying if left unused for about 3-4 days. I realized recently that this is happening since last Nov's (2013) major servicing which included fuel filter replacement. This has happened thrice till last month.

A new battery was installed in Nov 2012 and it worked fine till this service even when it was left unused for more than 20 days at a stretch during May 2013. No aftermarket electrical fitments except for a rear screen, but that was installed in April 2012 and did not cause any issues either on the old or on the new battery.

Finally thinking battery was the culprit I changed the battery again last month and also bought a multimeter. Showed a drop from 12.75V to 12.50V when left unused overnight (abt 12 hrs) on this new battery and I think there is some parasitic drain! (This was after disconnecting the rear screen which works on a remote. So that being the cause is also ruled out).

Anyone faced similar problem/any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by alto99 : 7th July 2014 at 15:25.
Old 7th July 2014, 15:38   #5676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
My civic's battery is dying if left unused for about 3-4 days. I realized recently that this is happening since last Nov's (2013) major servicing which included fuel filter replacement. This has happened thrice till last month.

A new battery was installed in Nov 2012 and it worked fine till this service even when it was left unused for more than 20 days at a stretch during May 2013. No aftermarket electrical fitments except for a rear screen, but that was installed in April 2012 and did not cause any issues either on the old or on the new battery.

Finally thinking battery was the culprit I changed the battery again last month and also bought a multimeter. Showed a drop from 12.75V to 12.50V when left unused overnight (abt 12 hrs) on this new battery and I think there is some parasitic drain! (This was after disconnecting the rear screen which works on a remote. So that being the cause is also ruled out).

Anyone faced similar problem/any help will be appreciated.
Try doing this,

Old 7th July 2014, 15:48   #5677
BHPian

Was watching a video in youtube about a civic in thailand. His orvms retract when he locks the car and opens when he unlocks it. Can this be done on our indian civics? Did anybody try it out? If yes, do we need a module for that?

On a diff note, got this sleeve for my master key.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1404728273.232045.jpg
Old 7th July 2014, 17:15   #5678
BHPian

Photo

The bumper after pushing has snapped back into place, not perfect but okay.

I have stuck one broken plastic-glass piece with super-glue and stuck normal cell-tape to cover two holes. The cell-tape may fall off so I have put one new roll inside the car itself, will keep sealing it whenever it falls off. Hope it is now dust and waterproof.

There are big gaps on the top of the cluster, hope water does not get in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-adsc_7623.jpeg  

Last edited by manim : 7th July 2014 at 17:17.
Old 8th July 2014, 11:12   #5679
Senior - BHPian

Re: Photo

Quote:

I have stuck one broken plastic-glass piece with super-glue and stuck normal cell-tape to cover two holes. The cell-tape may fall off so I have put one new roll inside the car itself, will keep sealing it whenever it falls off. Hope it is now dust and waterproof.

There are big gaps on the top of the cluster, hope water does not get in there.
That's as better as what it can get. My rear bumper is exactly like this, though on the LHS. I see a portion of the tail lamp broken and a piece missing as well which could lead to dirt accumulation and water seepage unless you are doubly sure that the area has been sealed tight.
Old 8th July 2014, 13:08   #5680
BHPian

My auto tensioner needs to be changed. Whenever the car is cold and I start it there's a loud growling sound. I've noticed that the car keeps switching off frequently while on CNG. Is that because the tensioner needs changing or do I need to look t my CNG kit?
Old 8th July 2014, 16:35   #5681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaderBalooch View Post
My auto tensioner needs to be changed. Whenever the car is cold and I start it there's a loud growling sound. I've noticed that the car keeps switching off frequently while on CNG. Is that because the tensioner needs changing or do I need to look t my CNG kit?
Check the compressor as well. Does the sound come when the AC is off? I had the same growl and the HASS told me that the tensioner or the serpentine belt could be the culprit. My local mechanic friend said it is a compressor problem and needs replacement and compressor replacement fixed it.
Old 8th July 2014, 16:53   #5682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Check the compressor as well. Does the sound come when the AC is off? I had the same growl and the HASS told me that the tensioner or the serpentine belt could be the culprit. My local mechanic friend said it is a compressor problem and needs replacement and compressor replacement fixed it.
The sound still comes with the AC on. When it initially started the sound would become less when I switched the ac on while I just started it up but now the sound remains even while I'm driving, especially when I suddenly break and accelerate. Car wobbles and sometimes switches off. That only happens on CNG though. I'll get my local guy to take a look at it.
Old 8th July 2014, 17:01   #5683
Senior - BHPian

Re: Photo

Quote:

The whole cluster was slightly pushed inside and the bumper has slightly come out.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The bumper is a soft polymer, and I have pushed it out at least twice, both cases courtesy Tempos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Ouch ! That hurts. I haven't seen the pics but one thing I would suggest to try pushing the bumper back into place. I had a similar shunt two years back and one side of my rear bumper dislodged itself from the clips and was hanging out. I tried pushing it back and it snapped back in place....

Quote:

Both front and back bumpers are problem spots for my Civic. It has been hit few times and is completely out of sync with the rest of the body. HASS folks say it cannot be repaired any more since the bolt holders have been damaged. I need to check with some some local garages to see if it can be fixed. Regarding the back light cluster, I have one of them broken by a two wheeler a few years back. I have not yet repaired them and have used transparent adhesive tapes to prevent water from entering the cluster. It is recognizable only on close inspection.

Last edited by vasoo : 8th July 2014 at 17:03.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 18:39   #5684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaderBalooch View Post
The sound still comes with the AC on. When it initially started the sound would become less when I switched the ac on while I just started it up but now the sound remains even while I'm driving, especially when I suddenly break and accelerate. Car wobbles and sometimes switches off. That only happens on CNG though. I'll get my local guy to take a look at it.
Does the sound goes away once engine has reached it's optimum Temperature? Is the sound there in Neutral and Parking Gear too or is it only once you put in any gear?
Get your Hydraulic Mount also checked it might be the culprit. How many KMS your car has done ? And when does your Car switches off in CNG?
I know there are too many questions but they might be able to tell the exact symptoms.
Old 9th July 2014, 00:27   #5685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Does the sound goes away once engine has reached it's optimum Temperature? Is the sound there in Neutral and Parking Gear too or is it only once you put in any gear?
Get your Hydraulic Mount also checked it might be the culprit. How many KMS your car has done ? And when does your Car switches off in CNG?
I know there are too many questions but they might be able to tell the exact symptoms.
Yes. The sound disappears once the engine is hot. But you can hear it slightly as I mentioned when the car is picking up or if I stop and accelerate suddenly. Only makes that sound when it's in gear. It's fine on neutral. It's done about 55000km. Car switches off mainly when I slow it down and then accelerate. It jerks and mostly gathers itself but sometimes goes off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks