Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2010, 08:03   #556
Senior - BHPian

I had to replace the Hydraulic Mounting at 21000 kms.

Even now, I suspect that I need to replace one of the mounting at 35k seeing the vibration at the the of start. Will get it checked on Sunday.
Old 17th February 2010, 09:25   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Just remembered, there is a slight tremor in the steering wheel when i brake slightly when the car is at around 90kmph+. Does that indicate worn out discs? I think I read something like that somewhere. Anybody with a similar experience?
It indicates warped discs. You can get them machined in a lathe to even them out. If there isn't enough material left for such a procedure, you'll need to replace them.
Old 17th February 2010, 09:53   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
It indicates warped discs. You can get them machined in a lathe to even them out. If there isn't enough material left for such a procedure, you'll need to replace them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I had the interior treatment by 3M done on my car's 2nd Anniversary (April 2009, 40K service). Cost was Rs.1,462/- (with taxes). I plan to do this at-least once every two years.

I had also done under-body rust-prevention by 3M for Rs.2,813/-.
Thanks for all the inputs guys. So I have some work for the next service.
Old 17th February 2010, 11:31   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Isn't that too high?

Disc change, is it necessary? They try to do it with every disc pad change. The highest bill reported here for 40K service is 18K odd (though it is of Apr 09).

Do post your bill details here.
Quote:
You shouldn't need to replace rear discs very often unless you drove with worn brake pads.

Yes, it is high. But I guess its normal, since my car is an AT. Normal brake pad life is around 35-40k, and an auto uses much much more brakes than a manual. The civic was my personal car, and it was handled like a baby till 25-30k. Although when I gave this car to my driver, I knew that the brakes pads were almost, and it probably needed a change, but it just slipped my mind later.. Meanwhile my driver was driving this happily around town.. When i finally drove this car after quite some time(8 months!), I was at the braking. Infact I drove it only because my driver told me that the brakes were gone. So I guess it is reasonable to assume that my driver has been driving with worn out pads.

Another factor in the increase in cost is the oil change from mineral to synthetic.

Also, 40k and 80k are the biggest services for the civic, looking at the manual.
Old 17th February 2010, 11:42   #560
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, that'll destroy your discs. Shame how much money you end up paying for a driver's lack of care for your car.

I would expect your bill to be a bit less though - they always inflate the estimate.
Old 17th February 2010, 12:09   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, that'll destroy your discs. Shame how much money you end up paying for a driver's lack of care for your car.

I would expect your bill to be a bit less though - they always inflate the estimate.
Nope, the bill is 32082. (I had asked the advisor to give me the exact amount before noon today so I could make a DD if I wanted to) I had a lot of complaints in the car.. I drove the car extensively for 3 days before giving it to the service center. My driver has also gotten a piece of my mind for not handling the car well. I had a page full of issues when I took my car to the ASC. The advisor told me straight up that we wont be able to do so much in one day.. Hopefully all issues are fixed when I get it back. I'll post the bill here...
Old 17th February 2010, 12:16   #562
Senior - BHPian

Give them all the time they need. Rushing them is the biggest mistake one can make. Please post the bills - I'm extremely interested.
Old 17th February 2010, 20:52   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Vasoo, you are correct. On the Honda website they have shown the suspension fixture changes that have been made in the face-lifted version. When I bought my Civic a few days earlier the Sales Manager at Apex Honda in Mumbai confirmed quote "some changes have be made to the suspension to solve the car bottoming issue" unquote.
Honda never admitted anything about rear suspension tuning in the face-lift nor does the website talk about it. The info currently on their website is same as before. As I was deciding on Civic at that time, I had stored these pages before the face-lift and compared them after the launch and found no change. I'll see if I still have them and post them here. I do not think Honda has changed any mechanicals in the facelift (basically due to cost!); they have probably sourced a stiffer spring/damper to alter spring-rate so that it returns faster.

Regarding GC, I fully agree with laluks, one needs to get used to it and care to slowdown. However, mountains are hard to avoid and I bet it is a problem for many cars (non-Honda as well) not just Civic. Going diagonally over big mountains can dent the sides (just above the chassis rails) if the car tilts more; so we may be better off hitting the chassis rails.
Old 17th February 2010, 20:57   #564
BHPian

Quote:
You shouldn't need to replace rear discs very often unless you drove with worn brake pads.
mmm. I think this is mostly due to solid discs at rear as against ventilated at the front which are more prone to warp as the brake-pad presses on one side. On solid discs, the pad on the other side probably nullifies the effect to some extent.
Old 17th February 2010, 21:05   #565
Senior - BHPian

We did try a comparison with the New Civic (TD car) and the old one (friend's car) on the same stretch with same load (two passengers) to verify the bottoming issues. The old Civic did scrape even at "zero speed". New Civic managed gracefully. We also tried with ANHC in the same place. It brushed the hump with two passengers and scrapped big time with 5 passengers.

The location is the large hump before and after the railway crossing in Sarjapur Road, for those familiar to the region.
Old 17th February 2010, 22:05   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
We did try a comparison with the New Civic (TD car) and the old one (friend's car) on the same stretch with same load (two passengers) to verify the bottoming issues. The old Civic did scrape even at "zero speed". New Civic managed gracefully. We also tried with ANHC in the same place. It brushed the hump with two passengers and scrapped big time with 5 passengers.

The location is the large hump before and after the railway crossing in Sarjapur Road, for those familiar to the region.
That's a solid test to say the least.
Old 17th February 2010, 22:38   #567
Senior - BHPian

@vasoo: Good exercise and results there. This proves that the face-lift version indeed has got a better suspension than its predecessor.
Old 17th February 2010, 23:56   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post

Yes, if you see my ownership thread, I did the same exercise near Magnum Honda.
Old 18th February 2010, 10:56   #569
Senior - BHPian

Advice please!

I want to upgrade my lights to Xenons and have recieved a quote from Honda of 14K with a intensity of 6000k for the lower and upper beam. So a total of 28K for both. These are the plug type connectors with a 1 year warranty. There would be no cutting of wires, so my vehicle warranty would also be valid. Is this quote OK?
With both beams changed to Xenons the fog lamps with yellow lights would look silly IMO, are there some bulbs available which would throw a white light to maintain uniformity which could fit in my Civic?
Please advice.
Thanks
Old 18th February 2010, 11:06   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@vasoo: Good exercise and results there. This proves that the face-lift version indeed has got a better suspension than its predecessor.
Yes, in fact the salesman was vouching that Honda has done "something" with the new Civic even though they never admitted it openly. He is used to doing TDs in that road and he said it scraped there all the time with old models and even the ANHC with good load.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks