Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2014, 10:10   #5806
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Noticing shuddering noise (very mild) when the front wheels hit potholes while the brake is in applied position.

No noticeable vibrations
This happens only on relatively heavy braking.
There is no noise on hitting potholes, if no brake is applied.

Does anyone have similar experience and suggestions on what could be wrong?
I think that's the ABS cutting in. When the wheels go over the pot hole, they looses contact with the road for a second and the ABS thinks that the wheel has lost traction (the wheel will lock when the brakes are applied and it loses contact with the road or reduces the contact patch).

I have also get that in my car. Don't think you should worry. Seems normal

rgds
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 11:57   #5807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Noticing shuddering noise (very mild) when the front wheels hit potholes while the brake is in applied position.

No noticeable vibrations
This happens only on relatively heavy braking.
There is no noise on hitting potholes, if no brake is applied.

Does anyone have similar experience and suggestions on what could be wrong?
Or else it could be due to worn-out brake-rotors(discs).
In this case the car shudders even on good roads and heavy braking (not only on pot-holes).
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 13:17   #5808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Or else it could be due to worn-out brake-rotors(discs).
In this case the car shudders even on good roads and heavy braking (not only on pot-holes).
Thanks, but the shuddering is only noticed while hitting potholes with brakes on. Normal braking, even heavily, there are no issues.
I had thought about ABS, but the shuddering felt with ABS on normal highway braking was somewhat different from this pothole scenario, hence the confusion.

And bit apprehensive in checking with the HASS directly, just to avoid unnecessary diagnosis and patch ups.
Old 18th September 2014, 15:04   #5809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
I've a question, what should be the frequency to get the air conditioning system serviced for Civic and what's the cost involved? I tried checking Owners manual but couldn't find it. Also I sometimes feel that the load put by AC is on higher side. This usually I've felt in Bumper to Bumper traffic, though the cooling is perfect. What could be the issue? I've no issues at all with the cooling as cabin cools itself quickly.
The Condenser is the main component. Please ensure that you do not leave it unattended. If it is conked then your AC could run into trouble. I have recently purchased a Civic 1.8V and condenser fan motor was not functional. Arya Honda kalina Mumbai quoted 4.5 K to repair it (They basically cannot repair such a small motor, they just replace it with an old used one) & 11.5 K for a new one. DENSO is the OEM which makes these motors for most of the Automobiles across the globe. I managed to get a brand new Denso @ 2.8 K from Sion Koliwada with fixing charges and AC works just fine.
But there is no Warranty on it. However Arya Honda will give a Warranty of 6 Months with old and new.

Gentlemen/Ladies - I thank the Mods for allowing me to be a part of this wonderful community. This thread especially has helped me a lot in buying my first car ever, Honda Civic 1.8V (Used tho). The car runs absolutely fine except for few errors. I will be posting the following issues step wise with representations.

1. Scratches on front bumper

2. Faulty AC Condenser fan Motor

I may be wrong but I saved a fortune in getting the above 2 things fixed. Hopefully it will be of use to fellow BHPians.

Continuing to my above post, I elaborate Issue 1:

"Front Bumper Scratch Removal ":

I happen to park in a squeezed zone at a Movie hall, and was completely relying upon the parking guy at night. I did not realize that I scratched it bad untill the parking guy asked me to halt. I wish he warned me ahead. Anyways you will see the damage it incurred.

I took it to a Garage in Kalina, Mumbai (Gujra Auto Service) to get it done nice and clean. I dont know why I choose to go there but I see these guys fixing something or the other in Audi/BMW etc. So I thought they might be experts in what they do. Please refer the representations I have attached.

It was job well done as you see but after a week driving in rains, I spotted a paint burst spot. So I took the car back to the garage as I remember the owner giving me a 3 Month Guarantee. I am shocked to see what lies ahead of me. See the picture. I was asked to come back a week later as he is under a legal scan of BMC.

Now All I do is wait, any suggestions welcome.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-scratch.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_4298.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_4302.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-coat-1.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-coat-2.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-final.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-heating.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-ultimate.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-paint-burst.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-wrecked-1.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-wrecked.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th September 2014 at 16:36.
Old 18th September 2014, 15:31   #5810
BANNED

If the AC is working fine then I will just leave it as such without fiddling.
Old 18th September 2014, 16:52   #5811
BHPian

MESSAGE TO MOD: SORRY I USED MULTIPLE POSTS

Issue 2:

"Faulty AC Condenser fan Motor":

I was on my official trip to some remote Toll Plazas in Guj (Lot of Toll Plazas in India use our Barriers). It was heavily raining and I always suspected about my AC right from the purchase time. I run it on 24 Deg Cel and lowest fan speed. I also use the Internal Air Circulation mode. That day my colleague choose to switch it to Outdoor mode where outdoor air is sucked inside. I was on phone (Bluetooth of course !) and did not realize there was smoke venting inside from the vents. It was accompanied by foul smell. I pulled over and waited for few min. to check if something was burning. Luckily nothing burnt and we decided to make the trip without AC. Luckily it was cloudy in Surat/Baroda/Hazira/Vapi. I checked with a mechanic in Surat and he pointed out to me that one of the AC fan was not operational. He quoted 4.5K but had to wait a day at-least. I could not wait so finished my trip and returned to Mumbai.

Arya Honda Kalina (I have an AMC for 5 services with them currently) mentioned that it would cost me 4.5K to fix the Condenser Fan Motor. If I choose to buy it would cost me 11.5 K. Both have 6 month limited warranty. Then I got back to my engineering days I started doing RnD and found some on ebay at 5.7K. I was then advised by my friend to try Sion Koliwada.
It gets tricky here: You cannot fully rely upon strangers here for advice. I checked with a Auto Store there about Honda Civic Condenser Fan Motor. He was so confident and assured me that I will not find it anywhere except Honda ASS.

Right next door was S.K. Aircon (Hari - 9892608007, Manager) ready to assist me and increased by knowledge.

He told me that "DENSO" manufactures these Motors and most of the Automobiles share the same specifications. EX: Suzuki & Honda used Denso.

I got my car next day and he replaced my old Motor with a new Denso at 2.8K. Please see attached pictures. The AC Works fine and is super cool. Well it has no Warranty tho !
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-fan.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-motor.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-fan-motor.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-testing.jpg  

Last edited by spoth001 : 18th September 2014 at 17:03.
Old 25th September 2014, 19:38   #5812
Senior - BHPian

Had a long pending issue of brake vibrations when braking from high speeds.

Didn't want to go the HASS way. Car is out of warranty now. Also it is sparingly used. Hardly clocks 3000km a year ! Went to a FNG and got the front discs polished and Apache brake pads fitted. Here are some snaps.

The first pic is the LHS outer pad. It was in a bad state. Car has run only 32K kms.

Second pic is of a polished disc. Rs.800 for both front discs

Rest of the snaps are of the Apache brake pads. Apparently Apache makes some pads with TVS Girling. Called TVS-Apache. And some pads come with only their own brand name. This set costs Rs. 1450. The FNG got it for me. I suspect they maybe a tad cheaper if bought personally from some shop.

I do not expect them to last too long. But with my usage pattern, I'm hoping I'll get 2 years out of them at least. Meanwhile I'll see if I can get a set of ceramics from Amazon next year :P

Total expenses of polishing + new pads with labour : Rs. 2750.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1411654011798.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1411654026591.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1411654041088.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1411654050409.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1411654060225.jpg  

Last edited by shuvc : 25th September 2014 at 19:44.
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 11:56   #5813
BHPian

Shuvc, what are spare brake pads? Are they a known brand? Also, how did you source them?
Old 26th September 2014, 12:26   #5814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I do not expect them to last too long. But with my usage pattern, I'm hoping I'll get 2 years out of them at least.
If these pads are not prone to chipping off, then excess of 15K km can be expected if not driven passionately
Next week I'll be trying "WULF" pads

Last edited by laluks : 26th September 2014 at 12:27.
Old 26th September 2014, 21:16   #5815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
Shuvc, what are spare brake pads? Are they a known brand? Also, how did you source them?
Spare? Didn't get you. These are Apache. The garage guys got it from their parts supplier.

@laluks, I'll need to check high speed manners. After I use them for 200kms. Which itself might take awhile! I suspect they will fade when driven hard for a sustained period. But that won't happen much. So yes I'll be happy if they last 15k kms.
Old 27th September 2014, 01:30   #5816
BHPian

Hi Gurus

I got a 2008 AT civic last week with 32k on the odo. The owner told me that the last service was done in July 2014 and they'd done the 30k service in which most of the things were changed and replaced. I find out from dakshin Honda and indeed the service was done in July but they didn't tell me the details.

I'm going to take her to Goa next week and wanted to get her all checked tomorrow for the fluids, oils etc. Was hoping somebody can list me what all should I get checked or replaced for sure.

Also initially the steering was tilted a bit towards left so I got the wheel balancing done recently which corrected the tilt. But I noticed now that when hitting speeds of 100 or more the steering vibrates a lot which somehow tells me that something is wrong.

Also I feel the braking is less than optimum and needs a check.

I'm planning to goto HASS tomorrow to get it checked , so any suggestions on the above would be wonderful. Also if anybody can suggest a service station other than HASS in and around whitefield, it would help.

Edit : the car has 18 inch alloys with low profile tyres.

Last edited by sixthsense : 27th September 2014 at 01:31. Reason: added details
Old 27th September 2014, 10:46   #5817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthsense View Post
Hi Gurus

I got a 2008 AT civic last week with 32k on the odo. The owner told me that the last service was done in July 2014 and they'd done the 30k service in which most of the things were changed and replaced. I find out from dakshin Honda and indeed the service was done in July but they didn't tell me the details.

I'm going to take her to Goa next week and wanted to get her all checked tomorrow for the fluids, oils etc. Was hoping somebody can list me what all should I get checked or replaced for sure.

Also initially the steering was tilted a bit towards left so I got the wheel balancing done recently which corrected the tilt. But I noticed now that when hitting speeds of 100 or more the steering vibrates a lot which somehow tells me that something is wrong.

Also I feel the braking is less than optimum and needs a check.

I'm planning to goto HASS tomorrow to get it checked , so any suggestions on the above would be wonderful. Also if anybody can suggest a service station other than HASS in and around whitefield, it would help.

Edit : the car has 18 inch alloys with low profile tyres.
Now since you have the car, ask HASS to give every detail of the works done on the car. Check for all the Hydraulics, break pads, engine mounts especially. Engine mounts wear out in Civic's and the best way to find out is take a small plastic card (thickness of a Credit card) and look for the groove between the engine mount and the body frame. If you have atleast 1cms space, then you are good to go.

Refer this video for more info:

Suggestion: DO not cruise more than 75-80 on Goa Roads. They are pathetic and WTH (you will get a FE of 15KMPL atleast)

Safe Riding !
Old 27th September 2014, 19:22   #5818
BHPian

Did not get lucky with HASS. Will goto Bosch service center tomorrow. He is asking 650/- for a thorough check up.

Also found that the car is last serviced in June 14 for the 30k service which includes all major oil change. Also the brake pads were changed.

So for me I've to see if I've to to disc skimming. And for the steering vibration I was told that the wheel balancing needs to be done.

I'll add the engine mounts checking into my list as well.
Old 28th September 2014, 09:22   #5819
BANNED

I have switched my Civic to an annual service cycle. I do less than 6k a year.
Old 28th September 2014, 09:41   #5820
BHPian

How much are the brake pads for civic. The front are new and the previous owner changed it. I want to change the back ones as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks