Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2015, 16:18   #6226
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
@arvi86

Yes major suspension parts replacement. With HASS, it's only replacement, no repair. :/
Do you have a quote for this, at component level?

I was told it'd be some thing like 70K approx for the components and 10K approx for the labor at HASS. This was from my friendly SA from HASS over the phone. But I am not sue since we did not get down to component level discussions. The rear control arms are one huge setup and each might cost a bomb from HASS.
Old 1st February 2015, 01:02   #6227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Even I feel that my car has wheel bearing sound. Sound(distant helicopter sound) is pretty much evident after 85kmph speed & more at 115kmph , but reduces at 130kmph.
Went on a trip, before that
Got the tyre changed (front), Got all wheel alignment & balancing done, got the engine mount replaced (this is another story).
Before to it, there was no sound from my car at all..
Don't know what is causing that sound.
Have they put on sticker weights for wheel balancing? If yes, can you try replacing them with clip on weights?
Old 1st February 2015, 10:33   #6228
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Have they put on sticker weights for wheel balancing? If yes, can you try replacing them with clip on weights?
Improperly stuck sticker weights can be a problem, but then they are often preferred ion alloys.
Old 1st February 2015, 17:01   #6229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post

I would have loved to see a description of your setup to get my local guy to replicate it. I guess I missed your post on the topic, might have saved me some time.

I just stumbled across this method when browsing for something else online and since the aux-in port connector wires weren't available locally, ordered it online.

I had the same concern for the eventuality you faced and the accessory guy who fitted it for me said if the cable goes faulty, as long as the aux-in port connector which connects to the back of the HU works, he can make another aux-in wire for me. How did your chap do that crucial connection?
My chap took the HU out and did the connection in such a way that I got a cable out from the back of the HU to the front which ends with an aux - port. Attached pics for your reference. This allows me to just get an aux wire and enjoy my music. When the wire goes bad, I simply get another one. Plain and easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Do you have a quote for this, at component level?
Ive still not given my car to the mechanic but he was confident of identitying the parts required to be replaced.

I enquired by calling my trusty spare shop, Ghai Spares and he said the entire suspension set should cost within 15-20k.

I'll probably get it done in a month or two..the sound is not very loud as of now, but it'll worsen in a few months.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0752.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0753.jpg  

coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 15:21   #6230
Senior - BHPian

I've been checking with a few suppliers regarding the cost of the suspension components, here's what I've come up with the components for the front (quoting cheapest quote, acceptable but dubious quality).

HASS costs for example were at least 2 to 4 times, depending on certain components and criticality.

Some components looked real cheap at this price point and the next best acceptable ones were expensive by a few 100 rupees.

There were a few components below this price point by a few hundred rupees as well, but looked not acceptable.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-suspension.jpg

Some items like coil spring were not readily available, also the cheapest bushes looked questionable in terms of their life.

There are a lot of them in the market, the decision I believe is best left to your trusted mechanic, either let him source or take him along with you when you purchase, if you don't want him to take a cut on the items. All of these items may or may not be available at the vendor at the same time.

Last edited by laluks : 3rd February 2015 at 15:30.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 16:00   #6231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HASS costs for example were at least 2 to 4 times, depending on certain components and criticality.
Assuming if someone is particular and wants only original parts, is it possible to source HASS components outside HASS ?

If your car has run a Lakh kms with original parts, isn't it a good idea to spend on original parts again, with this you will have peace of mind, that you are reliable for next Lakh kms and most importantly safety is not in question.

Last edited by black12rr : 3rd February 2015 at 16:21.
Old 3rd February 2015, 16:15   #6232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Assuming if someone is particular and wants only original parts, is it possible to sources HASS components outside HASS ?

If your car has run a Lakh kms with original parts, isn't it a good idea to spend on original parts again, with this you will have peace of mind, that you are reliable for next Lakh kms and most importantly safety is not in question.
You are right.

It's possible , But the cut on top of the component price for sourcing makes it less economical. But there seems to be shops selling items as original Honda for 1/4th. Seeing is believing in this case!!

Why I posted those figures is for a ball park figure how cheap you can get your suspension job done. HASS is nearly 70-80K and that being the upper limit.

So the band is 15K to 100K, chose your pick wisely I chose to pick in between, more on that story later. It is still under experiment phase

Last edited by laluks : 3rd February 2015 at 16:16.
Old 4th February 2015, 10:55   #6233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are these rates from HASS?
Yes these are from Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Will post updates once I get the car back.

Cheers!
Did you get the car back ?
Old 4th February 2015, 13:18   #6234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Yes these are from Honda.

Did you get the car back ?
Yes, got the car back in promised time. Sorry couldn't write about it - completely missed. Summary of observations with wagenwerks:

Jobs done and charges thereof:

1. Front Shocks: Rs 16,500
2. Clutch set with release bearing: Rs 7,300
3. Clutch master cylinder: Rs 3,800
4. Clutch slave cylinder: Rs 3,200
5. Headlight bulbs: Rs 1,900 (Philips high beam 100w and low beam 70w)
6. Headlight relays: 200x2 = Rs 400
7. Headlight socket: Rs 300

Labor:
Clutch overhaul: Rs 3,200
Front Shocks replacement: Rs 1,200
Front and rear brake service: Rs 1,600
Headlight upgrade + wiring: Rs 550
Running board repair + paint: Rs 3,500
Tuneup: Rs 950
Engine and gear mounts re-torquing: Rs 550
Complete checkup + wash: Rs 450
Total: Rs 45,700
less discounts: Rs 1,200
Net amount paid: Rs 44,500

Car pick up/drop and promised delivery time
10/10

Clutch work: the difference is evident. that distinct knocking and shudder has gone, mostly. There is still is a bit of knocking in low RPMs and I've been told that it will also vanish with a run in of 500-600kms. If it doesn't, then I'll ask him to work on it again.
7/10

Front Shocks replacement: Not much improvement. I was told when the car was in garage, that the lower arm bushes have gone weak, but can do another 5,000 kms atleast and I agreed not to change.
Later, I told Jatin that noise of front shocks going over bumps still persists (that kind of noise like an old rusted spring when pressed) - this was attributed to weak lower arm bushes. I mean if the noise persists, those should have been replaced. I am very finicky about noises/sounds within the cabin or otherwise while driving! Probably he wanted to save me some money in all good intentions. But for me, the job remains incomplete as far as front shocks are concerned. Not satisfied here with the work.

Also something strange that I noticed last week when I was casually having a look around the car - the rear body seems to be kind of little sunken after it has come back from the garage. Sent these pics attached at the end of this post (Compare RHS to LHS and then to front wheels - the gap between the tires and the inside body seems to be too little for the rear wheels) to him for clarification and was told that rear shocks have also gone weak Wasn't told about this earlier
5/10

Headlight upgrade: Jatin suggested against HID upgrade and asked me to go for better wattage bulbs with upgrade relays and wiring. Happy with that decision. The lights and the throw have improved a lot. Just that a little bit of alignment in terms of LHS and RHS beam throw isn't in sync. Have set it aside for next visit.
8/10

Running Board repair: RHS running board had scraped through a road divider while taking a u-turn. Color matched perfectly and denting job done neatly.
8/10.
He lost 2 points here because I had asked to touch up other scratches as well, but they didn't because "it would have looked bad" (sic)

Also I had asked him to work on the clips of the rear bumper - a job that was completely ignored/missed or note done on the pretext that the bumper itself has gone kaput and replacing clips ain't going to work! - Hard to believe since the bumper seems to be unotouched

Will I go again? Yes - I like the way Jatin deals, explains and asks you before carrying out any work. To a great extent his advises are also helpful. Wagenwerkz is expensive (compared to other FNGs) but more reliable in my personal opinion.

But next time when I go, I would like all the jobs to be done matching his high reputation here in TBHP. The Shocks work has disappointed me and other small things which were not done (like touch ups, bumper clips. headlight alignment etc). Else the hunt for that perfect FNG will continue

Charges: a bit on the higher side compared to other FNGs for both parts as well as labor. And I would like to assume lower than HASS, though I haven't compared each line item yet.

Parts: Jatin claims to use all genuine OEM parts. I trust him. Anyway if he is not then fellow BHPians would have already punched hole in his claims.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-rhs-view.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-lhs-view.jpg  

Last edited by 1lokesh : 4th February 2015 at 13:30.
Old 4th February 2015, 13:33   #6235
Senior - BHPian

@1lokesh,

What about the flywheel ? Was it skimmed ? Also rear shocks if you drive alone most of the time and if the tyres are not getting worn out the back you can delay a overhaul and keep it for later.Don't touch the rear before fixing the front.The lower arm bushes etc and the shock replacement at the front should have been done in one shot.

The new shocks i believe are of the stiffer type as my car now stands quite tall at the front than before even after driving for more than 1K kms.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 4th February 2015 at 13:35.
Old 4th February 2015, 13:49   #6236
BHPian

Quote:
@1lokesh,

What about the flywheel ? Was it skimmed ? Also rear shocks if you drive alone most of the time and if the tyres are not getting worn out the back you can delay a overhaul and keep it for later.Don't touch the rear before fixing the front.The lower arm bushes etc and the shock replacement at the front should have been done in one shot.

The new shocks i believe are of the stiffer type as my car now stands quite tall at the front than before even after driving for more than 1K kms.

Hi sumeet, flywheel was resurfaced.
I'll check on the rear tires for abnormal wear out, thanks

The rear looking like sunken could be because of new front shocks making front body taller than rear. Didn't think about that.

And yes, now even I also think that lower arm bushes should have been done along with the shocks replacement. :-(
Cheers
Old 4th February 2015, 13:54   #6237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Front Shocks: Rs 16,500

Front and rear brake service: Rs 1,600
Was the front shocks just the struts or with coil assembly?

What did they do in brake service? Remove the pads, clean, grease the calliper pin and put back? if its only this much than normally all FNGs charge something like 400-500RS. Did they also do skimming of all 4 discs?
Old 4th February 2015, 13:57   #6238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi sumeet, flywheel was resurfaced.

I'll check on the rear tires for abnormal wear out, thanks

The rear looking like sunken could be because of new front shocks making front body taller than rear. Didn't think about that.

And yes, now even I also think that lower arm bushes should have been done along with the shocks replacement. :-(
Cheers
The mild knocking now is due to the skimmed flywheel.It should go away but if does not then it would need the flywheel to be changed (min 12-13K) and would mean opening up the tranny again.Even i am having the judder at very low speeds but i am living with it.

The bushes at the front are a pain to remove and need a hydraulic machine to be pulled out.Honda would have simply replaced the lower arms just to change the bushes.

Also for the first 10 days check the tranny case for any leakage as the garage where i had given for a clutch change, the moronic Pia motors,managed to damage my axle seal while fixing the tranny back.Not necessary this will happen to you but just afer a week's driving peek under the front and check with a torch for leakages.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 4th February 2015 at 14:16.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 14:52   #6239
BHPian

Quote:
Was the front shocks just the struts or with coil assembly?

What did they do in brake service? Remove the pads, clean, grease the calliper pin and put back? if its only this much than normally all FNGs charge something like 400-500RS. Did they also do skimming of all 4 discs?
It was also skimming the discs. There was this screeching sound whenever brakes were applied. Now taken care of. Also told after this service that front discs have reached end of their life. Too thin to skim anymore

Quote:
The mild knocking now is due to the skimmed flywheel.It should go away but if does not then it would need the flywheel to be changed (min 12-13K) and would mean opening up the tranny again.Even i am having the judder at very low speeds but i am living with it.

The bushes at the front are a pain to remove and need a hydraulic machine to be pulled out.Honda would have simply replaced the lower arms just to change the bushes.

Also for the first 10 days check the tranny case for any leakage as the garage where i had given for a clutch change, the moronic Pia motors,managed to damage my axle seal while fixing the tranny back.Not necessary this will happen to you but just afer a week's driving peek under the front and check with a torch for leakages.
Thanks. Will check. Hope the mild knocking goes away.

Cheers!
Old 4th February 2015, 17:05   #6240
BANNED

Quote:
It was also skimming the discs. There was this screeching sound whenever brakes were applied. Now taken care of. Also told after this service that front discs have reached end of their life. Too thin to skim anymore
Unless there is deep scoring /pitting it is very rare for the discs not to take at least two skimmings.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed