Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2015, 22:54   #6331
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Two queries on the interiors.

1.The seat fabric in my civic has gradually faded. Now I prefer fabric over leather and I have a thing of maintaining the OEM look. Can they do it at HASS? Any cheaper option in Delhi?

2. I'm keen to add a screen, just to watch videos or random movies on the go. It should be able to read from a memory card or through a Usb cable. Now here's the catch. I want it on the dashboard. Maybe affixed to the windshield. I want to retain the OEM look or else I'd added a touchscreen music system.. Any help?
Old 7th March 2015, 23:51   #6332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Two queries on the interiors.

1.The seat fabric in my civic has gradually faded. Now I prefer fabric over leather and I have a thing of maintaining the OEM look. Can they do it at HASS? Any cheaper option in Delhi?

2. I'm keen to add a screen, just to watch videos or random movies on the go. It should be able to read from a memory card or through a Usb cable. Now here's the catch. I want it on the dashboard. Maybe affixed to the windshield. I want to retain the OEM look or else I'd added a touchscreen music system.. Any help?
In my humble opinion, fabric seats may not gel well with the posh interiors of a Civic. If you would like to change your mind and go for leather look, then a lot of options are available online for leather look seat covers from good brands.
Regarding your second query, you may opt for a navigation unit like Mapmyindia which comes with its own mount and can play audio, video (through SD card) and also work as a Bluetooth device for your phone.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 08:04   #6333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumbaiBoy View Post
Well, my 2006 Civic has crossed 150 k. It is still fun to drive and is not too bothersome. I will not say that it has been inexpensive - been through 2 clutch replacements, fuel pump and a/c failure, 2-3 front right engine mounts, front right glass winder replacement- but the engine is super smooth and I get more than 10 km/l with spirited driving.
Can you share the details of those replacements, costs involved if you don't mind. It would be nice to have some data for reference. And from when the replacements episode started, say after 75k...?

150K is cool

Last edited by laluks : 8th March 2015 at 08:05.
Old 8th March 2015, 11:11   #6334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Can you share the details of those replacements, costs involved if you don't mind. It would be nice to have some data for reference. And from when the replacements episode started, say after 75k...?

150K is cool
How much has your Civic clocked laluks?

My Civic has thankfully been relatively low maintenance.

Clutch replacement: 82k
Engine mount replacement - 95k
Suspension overhaul - coming up in another couple of months. probably around 110k

No issues with the fuel pump, power steering leaks etc. The front left window motor has slowed up over the past two years but it's still working. So as of now, things are okay.
Old 8th March 2015, 16:33   #6335
BHPian

Mine has done about 87k now. Still as good as I bought her from my boss who was moving abroad. It was 32k then, about 4 yrs back. Since then, have got the upholstery changed (as soon as it came to me), got brake pads changed about 3 yrs back, upgraded tyres to yoko c drive 205/65/15 2 yrs back, clutch changed and front shocks replaced about two months back, lower arm bushes and engine mount coming up next month and everything else as periodic maintenance. Its silky smooth as it was 4 yrs back. Nothing to complain but just rejoice and very happy about my decision to buy this beauty.

PS. there's this pertinent issue I'm facing since my ownership. Both SRVMs when folded still keep making sound of that motor which keeps running. Sort of what an unending folding mission that's never accomplished. All the HASSs I've been to blame the motor for this and suggest to change the whole assembly which is of course too costly. Anyone else has faced this issue?

Last edited by 1lokesh : 8th March 2015 at 16:47.
Old 8th March 2015, 16:51   #6336

Quote:

150K is cool
The first clutch replacement was at 30k, which was annoying. All other replacement has happened at not unexpected times. These works have been carried out at HASS so costs are as reported by others on this forum. Now that I think carefully, I have also replaced left rear wheel bearing twice (could have run longer but the humming noise was a nuisance) and repaired a power steering leak, followed by replacement. The alternator had to be rewound about a year back - this was tricky to troubleshoot since I had just installed Pioneer 759 Bluetooth CD player and it was not obvious where the problem lay. The original 6-CD player managed to get a CD about once every 18 months.
Old 8th March 2015, 18:32   #6337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumbaiBoy View Post
..and repaired a power steering leak, followed by replacement..
Did you replace the power steering assembly ? How much did that cost you ?
Old 9th March 2015, 12:38   #6338

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Did you replace the power steering assembly ? How much did that cost you ?
I think it was about Rs. 30,000 but not really sure of the scope of the replacement carried out. The car ran comfortably for about 20-odd thousand km from first reporting by the service adviser of the leak, and it was fine with minor top-up of fluid at the regular 5 k service. There is a pronounced loud whirring noise at full lock of the steering at low speed once the fluid level is low.
MumbaiBoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 12:43   #6339

Hi Guys. First of all this is my first post in this forum as the knowledge and details available here just overwhelms me at times.

Now i am on the look out for a pre owned civic preferably 2009 and above models and have a budget of around 5.5 Lakhs.
Yesterday i test drove a customer's civic and noticed a strange vibration(grrrr..) when i started the car and started driving and disappeared as soon as i revved it up.
The vibrations are there on the steering coloumn and even on the dashboard and feels like some metal to metal contact that is causing this.
Apart from this the car looks good. What could this sound be?

And what will be a good price for a well maintained 09-10 Civic VMT in Chennai.
Thanks a lot guys
Old 9th March 2015, 13:13   #6340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjoz View Post
Yesterday i test drove a customer's civic and noticed a strange vibration(grrrr..) when i started the car and started driving and disappeared as soon as i revved it up.
The vibrations are there on the steering coloumn and even on the dashboard and feels like some metal to metal contact that is causing this.
Apart from this the car looks good. What could this sound be?
Seems like an engine mount issue, the front engine mount if gone bad transfers the vibration to the car. At HASS it should be around 10K including the part and labour. After market options exist from Rs 1900 as mentioned by coolkurt in Delhi.
Old 9th March 2015, 14:06   #6341

Quote:
Seems like an engine mount issue, the front engine mount if gone bad transfers the vibration to the car. At HASS it should be around 10K including the part and labour. After market options exist from Rs 1900 as mentioned by coolkurt in Delhi.
Thanks a lot for the pointer Laluks. I will definitely keep that in mind.
Infact your posts about your Civvy and your travelogues have been an inspirations for me.

And i drive a G13B swift at present.
Old 9th March 2015, 19:57   #6342
Senior - BHPian

Today I faced the exact situation which had prompted me to stop getting any major repair work done at the HASS.

I wanted a simple oil change ( Mileage :105000)and the folks at Southend Honda, Mathura Road just refused to comply without me accepting to allow a complete service to be done and the charges to be associated with it.

What I wanted:

Oil Change

What was supposedly necessary to accept:

A regular 110k service replete with the entire service charge
Oil Change
Injector, Throttle body cleaning ( despite me telling them that it was due 6k kms later at 110k)
A/C servicing ( This is where I put my foot down and refused to get this done. This is the old 'pour disinfectant down the vents ' trick.
Wheel balancing and alignment ( I refused this too. Just got the same done last month while buying a new tyre)

Finally, I had to relent for a 105k service which included the oil change, throttle body cleaning. Why can't they just do what we ask of them?

Post the service, I was advised to get the following done on an urgent basis:

1. Power steering leak suspected. Pump and rack needs to be replaced. cost involved: 60k for rack, 20k for pump ( They had said the same at the 1,00,000 service and I had got it checked at a FNG. No Leaks)

2. Front control arms need to be replaced. Cost involved 20k.
( The FNG guy told me only the bushes need to be changed)

HASS strategy is to extract as much of your hard earned money. Don't fall prey to this.
- 1,00,000 service scam - Sir your power steering system needs to be replaced
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 20:43   #6343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I faced the exact situation which had prompted me to stop getting any major repair work done at the HASS.

I wanted a simple oil change ( Mileage :105000)and the folks at Southend Honda, Mathura Road just refused to comply without me accepting to allow a complete service to be done and the charges to be associated with it.

What I wanted:

Oil Change

What was supposedly necessary to accept:

A regular 110k service replete with the entire service charge
Oil Change
Injector, Throttle body cleaning ( despite me telling them that it was due 6k kms later at 110k)
A/C servicing ( This is where I put my foot down and refused to get this done. This is the old 'pour disinfectant down the vents ' trick.
Wheel balancing and alignment ( I refused this too. Just got the same done last month while buying a new tyre)

Finally, I had to relent for a 105k service which included the oil change, throttle body cleaning. Why can't they just do what we ask of them?

Post the service, I was advised to get the following done on an urgent basis:

1. Power steering leak suspected. Pump and rack needs to be replaced. cost involved: 60k for rack, 20k for pump ( They had said the same at the 1,00,000 service and I had got it checked at a FNG. No Leaks)

2. Front control arms need to be replaced. Cost involved 20k.
( The FNG guy told me only the bushes need to be changed)

HASS strategy is to extract as much of your hard earned money. Don't fall prey to this.
- 1,00,000 service scam - Sir your power steering system needs to be replaced

Key is to have a friendly Service Advisor at HASS. To me it had worked that way, that even today I can walk in and out even with consumables like air filter, resonator, stabiliser bar bushes etc from the spares counter. But now that he is no longer there, but moved to a far away HASS, I tend to get these hiccups, but I stand my ground and get it done.

HASS does not change control arm bushes. For them it arrives as an assembled spare. So there is no choice you can just do the bushes work there.

There is a service target of X amount per month for the HASS, and they tend to give gimmicks to extract it out.

Before I found my friendly service advisor, I was asked to go in for a clutch change at 20K, it is now 125K and the same clutch is holding good. At 30K i was show that there is a leak in PS components. They showed me the car up in a ramp, and showed the steering ball joint bellows having some grime stuck on leaked oil. I said I can't believe it and checked at home on a ramp. The bellows were swiped with grease and it collected the grime which looked like an oil leak. 125K it still holds good!! Who put the grease there is obvious!!

Last edited by laluks : 9th March 2015 at 20:44.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 22:14   #6344
Senior - BHPian

Haha. Precisely. I get everything cross checked at my trust FNG. Clutch replacement, engine mount replacement etc all done outside HASS. PS leak is the standard BS that these guys give nowadays. While I was waiting for my car to be washed, I overheard the SA give the same PS story to unsuspecting customers over the phone.
In a city like delhi, where people are too busy to come themselves, half of the judgement is left to the driver. Last week when I had gone to the FNG to get a dent repaired, a Honda Accord was being repaired. The driver asked for an inflated bill ( double the actual amount) to-be made and the owner had simply agreed to the blasphemous figure.
Old 9th March 2015, 22:28   #6345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Power steering leak suspected. Pump and rack needs to be replaced. cost involved: 60k for rack, 20k for pump
Are you sure it's 20k for the pump replacement and not repair. I was quoted 45k outside for a new pump.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks