Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2015, 10:56   #6421
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
No, bro. The AC stops cooling, completely. The cooling stops.

Irrespective of even keeping it at "Lo", which is 18 degree C.
So this happened to me once, unfortunately in the month of may in Delhi when driving from Noida to Gurgaon. Suddenly somewhere around lajpat nagar the AC stopped cooling and I could feel warm air throw. Put the temp on "Lo" and it cooled for a minute or so before venting out warm air again. This happened quite a few times. Finally switched off the AC and rolled down windows. In Gurgaon, I took it to an FNG. Through some feel and touch, this guy figured that the culprit is ice formation. Puts the AC on heater mode for 15 minutes and I could see a lot of water leaking down the belly (under the bonnet). There you go, now its cooling perfect. I normally put it at 24 in summers and 22 in winters. This happened only once, and I think it was because I put the AC on 18 when I started from Noida. It probably over cooled resulting in ice formation. After this incident, never below 20.

During bumper to bumper traffic, yes the cooling goes down, but comes back when RPMs are restored.

Also - may be related - anyone else facing this issue of a faint jerk and sound whenever the compressor kicks in (sort of refrigerator at your home). Mostly happens at the start and idle engine running at signals. Is this normal or something's wrong?
1lokesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 11:06   #6422
BHPian

Thanks a bunch, bro!

The last part that you've mentioned is perfectly normal behaviour for the car air-conditioner. Happens in my Civic too. Don't worry, and drive on!
Old 31st March 2015, 13:29   #6423
BHPian

On the contrary, I am facing a cooling issue where I suspect that the Compressor is not getting cut off at the right temperature or rather not getting cut off at all.
I set the Auto AC at 27c and still it starts chilling in few minutes whether its stop and go traffic or a highway journey.
Planning to get this checked from an AC Repair shop soon.
Old 31st March 2015, 13:45   #6424
Senior - BHPian

Did a trip to Chennai this weekend. Roads are pretty good between Krishnagiri and Vellore. Roads near to Chennai are quite patchy.

For the first time in 5 years, I had a flat tire on my return trip. My tyre was Michelin PLC 205/65/15. Fortunately it happened at relatively low speed and very close to a petrol pump. So I could get it changed with my spare tire quickly. Spare is an untouched OEM tyre, Goodyear NCT on steel rim. Looks pretty ugly now. Have to check with some tyre shops to see if I can revive my old tyre. They are run less than 30 k kms and look pretty good for another 10-15k. As of now it looks somewhat damaged with side wall having stress marks.

Btw, attached is a picture of my engine mount. Need feedback from owners here who had them replaced. My dealer says its due for replacement. I don't feel any issues yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1427789268756.jpg  

Old 31st March 2015, 15:13   #6425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
My dealer says its due for replacement. I don't feel any issues yet.
It's better if you get it replaced.
From the picture it's quite evident that the parts(torque strut & engine mount) are touching each other (marks) and the gap between them is quite small/low.

I've given my car for 80K kms service today, Estimate cost for the service is 10,000Rs including the Fuel filter - which alone is 4,500rs+ labour, Normal engine oil + Service labour

I have told them to check the engine mount, which I had very recently replaced with a NOK mount, I'm facing grumbling noise between 1600-2000rpm after changing the mounts.
After checking if found any issue with the mount told them to replace the mount with OEM, can't stand that grumbling noise
Cost is around 8K Rs+labour
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 06:38   #6426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Btw, attached is a picture of my engine mount. Need feedback from owners here who had them replaced. My dealer says its due for replacement. I don't feel any issues yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I have told them to check the engine mount, which I had very recently replaced with a NOK mount, I'm facing grumbling noise between 1600-2000rpm after changing the mounts.
After checking if found any issue with the mount told them to replace the mount with OEM, can't stand that grumbling noise
From the pic, I could see a little gap between the two parts. But it is evident that they are touching, going by the marks there. It is better you get the mount replaced. Ensure that the latest part number is fitted. From what I heard, there were two or three iterations of mounts that Honda developed to sort this problem out. The latest seems to be the most successful attempt.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 00:27   #6427
Senior - BHPian

Feedback on the Anytime Warranty scheme anyone? It's available till the 7th year. Can be bought per year.

I'm wondering what could potentially get replaced in the 6th and 7th year to justify a 14-16k warranty cost per year.

My car doesn't run much. Almost at the 5 year mark, run 38k and may run another 15k kms in the next 2 years.
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:24   #6428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Feedback on the Anytime Warranty scheme anyone? It's available till the 7th year. Can be bought per year.

I'm wondering what could potentially get replaced in the 6th and 7th year to justify a 14-16k warranty cost per year.

My car doesn't run much. Almost at the 5 year mark, run 38k and may run another 15k kms in the next 2 years.
I'm a sucker for any kind of extended warranties and this is no exception.
The possible parts that may give you issues in the 6th/7th year of ownership:

Clutch
Engine Mount
Power steering
Suspension

These are the niggles that people face while owning a civic for this long. The clutch and suspension won't get covered, as they are parts that go bad due to wear and tear. But even if it's the PS and the mount, it's still wise to go for the warranty. Not to mention that there can be other issues that can crop up like the alternator or the ac compressor going kaput.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 11:23   #6429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cost is around 8K Rs+labour
Car is back from 80K kms service.
Engine mount changed . Car feels fantastic, it has become so smooth after the mount replacement I Can barely feel/experience any engine sound or vibrations whatsoever
Will never ever go with local engine mounts again, had a very bad experience with it. Just used it for one long drive couldn't bear the humming noise & vibrations from it. (around 3K Rs down the drain)
Major parts changed in 80K kms service
Fuel filter/stainer - ~5K inclusive tax
Engine mount - 8K inclusive of tax.
Thankfully they haven't charged anything for Engine mount replacement labour charges (Bill says - Check Engine mount . 56Rs Inclusive tax )
Rest being Engine oil (1.4K Rs), Labour (2.1K Rs), Bumper clip mounts,Consumables etc.
Total service cost - 18,700Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Ensure that the latest part number is fitted. From what I heard, there were two or three iterations of mounts that Honda developed to sort this problem out. The latest seems to be the most successful attempt.
My engine mount manufacturing date says Jan 2015, (packed March 2015) Made in Thailand.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_0700.jpg
Does it mean that it's one of the latest type of engine mount ?
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 11:33   #6430
Senior - BHPian

As the civic gets older, the niggles get more interesting! So it rained in delhi today and brought some much needed respite. Was prepping up the car for a drive to neemrana and then this issue cropped up.

Somehow, water has managed to enter the door. I can hear it splashing inside when I shake it. There is a rubber beading between the window glass and the slot where it slides in, which stops rainwater from getting in. Since my car is old, I've lost bits of it over time.

So a few questions.

1. How do I drain the water out? Will I have to get it opened up? I want to get it done asap as I don't want it to mess with the electricals, rust being another issue.

2. Any idea what that rubber beading is called? I need to get that fixed as well or this situation can present itself again.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0768.jpg  

Old 4th April 2015, 12:05   #6431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
1. How do I drain the water out? Will I have to get it opened up? I want to get it done asap as I don't want it to mess with the electricals, rust being another issue.

2. Any idea what that rubber beading is called? I need to get that fixed as well or this situation can present itself again.
Please attend it ASAP! The driver's door has some good amount of electronics inside it which surely would not love the company of water. In fact, the situation can be dangerous as it can cause short circuits and even fire. I suggest that you disconnect the battery terminals and try to get it attended at the place the car is currently parked. You will need to open the door pads and drain out water. Keep the car in the sun to dry the insides of the door completely. If there is a drain plug hole at the bottom of door then it will make the process easier but not sure if there is any.

The rubber beading is called weather strip. I guess it is easy to replace it on most cars.

Regards,
Saket
Old 4th April 2015, 14:18   #6432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post

There is a drain hole in all the doors. Some amount of water is expected to go in and this drain hole is expected to drain it out.

I am using your photo to show you the location. The one inside green circle
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0768.jpg

Please check if there is any blocakge in that, if yes using some small piece of thin metal/ broomstick try clearing it. If you do not succeed, you have to remove the door panel and manually clear it.

Your speaker is the only stuff that low which can be affected. Above that if water was present, it will drain away through the panel gap anyways.
Old 4th April 2015, 15:09   #6433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
There is a drain hole in all the doors. Some amount of water is expected to go in and this drain hole is expected to drain it out.

I am using your photo to show you the location. The one inside green circle

Please check if there is any blocakge in that, if yes using some small piece of thin metal/ broomstick try clearing it. If you do not succeed, you have to remove the door panel and manually clear it.

Your speaker is the only stuff that low which can be affected. Above that if water was present, it will drain away through the panel gap anyways.
Yeah I know about those holes. The door is designed to let water in and drain out from the holes at the bottom. I tried unclogging them but it didn't work. I'll have to open it up I guess.
Old 5th April 2015, 12:54   #6434
BHPian

I will be driving down to Gulbarga from Hyderabad next month for my son's COMEDK exams. What would be the right Tyre pressure for Civic for this drive with 4 people onboard, considering it will be quite hot as well?
Old 5th April 2015, 18:54   #6435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does it mean that it's one of the latest type of engine mount ?
I have the same mount with the same part no. I believe it is the revised part. Hope Honda has assured you with a 6 month warranty on the part as i was told the same.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks