Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2015, 07:27   #6751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
These issues are not specific to the AT. Also, by and large as per the experience on this thread niggles in Hondas, esp the Civic are far fewer than most.
Sir,

I meant Civic and not specifically AT. As far as niggles are concerned. We have had last three generations of City in extended family. And none of the cars had anything unusual apart from regular service. The current one is a 2010 model VMT and is @59000 on the odo and goes for servicing once a year. I don't remember replacement of engine mounts in any of the cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

People have reported issues with Power steering and rack leakage but these problems are solved by simply changing the seals though at Hass these jobs can be expensive. My car's power steering was overhauled twice. For the A/T version check if the 'D' light is blinking while driving, if so then stay away from the car.

Also look at other cars like the Honda City etc and for a Civic i would highly recommend a post face lift 2009 + model.

Good Luck.

Hey Sumeet that is what I have planned to have the car inspected at HASS. Power steering overhaul twice. That's a shocker. Japs are known for their reliability. One of my friends has a 2000 Lancer with 197000 kms on the odo and the car never had a PS overhaul.

I certainly would like to buy a post 2009 model however my budget is limited at the moment. And I don't think I can wait for few months to get a facelifted one. Hence the question. Is it possible to get cruise control retrofitted on prefacelifted models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshiviv View Post
If you get one in good condition, don't think twice just go for it. I bought a used one (2007), the only repairs per se have been the replacements on the engine and transmission mounts. Other than that over a period of 2 years i've had it, no issues at all. Car still drives and looks like new. No rattles no shakes. The comfort and the drive-ability puts many new cars to shame. It's an AT, munches highway miles like anything. And since it's petrol it's rarely as abused as a diesel car if you get a used one. Try to get a face-life one that might be better from the mounts perspective plus you get cruise control (which I think is essential for highway driving but for some reason even some 25 lakh plus cars don't have it. Really don't know why manufacturers skimp on it. It's a safety feature in my opinion)
Sir,
I also need one with cruise control. However as I mentioned above my budget is limited at this moment. I see many 2007 models with 60k to 70k kms on the odo for 2.5 lacs to 3 lacs. Was wondering if such cars are worth considering. All facelifted one are listed above 4.5 lacs. Which I think is On a higher side also that woild be too much strech for me.

nIk

Last edited by nik0502 : 22nd July 2015 at 07:29.
Old 22nd July 2015, 23:22   #6752
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
I certainly would like to buy a post 2009 model however my budget is limited at the moment. And I don't think I can wait for few months to get a facelifted one. Hence the question. Is it possible to get cruise control retrofitted on prefacelifted models.
It is possible to fit cruise control in Civic. If you have the inclination to do it then check this project done by a fellow neighbor enthusiast

http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/d-i-...reborn-8th-gen

All the best
Old 24th July 2015, 14:22   #6753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
It is possible to fit cruise control in Civic. If you have the inclination to do it then check this project done by a fellow neighbor enthusiast

http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/d-i-...reborn-8th-gen
Hi nik0502, its possible to fit cruise control on Indian Civics too like mentioned in the thread laluks shared. I wanted to fit cruise on my 2007 Civic and have read a lot of DIY threads about it. I read the above thread twice as he had a detailed post about doing it ourselves, although I should warn you thats a pretty long thread. However that requires a lot of patience and some knowledge about car's wiring, ECU and how to deal with safe removal of airbag etc. I dont have the discipline nor the courage it takes to dismantle my newly aquired Civic like that, so seeked help of some auto electricians but they all refused to do it because of the potential risk factor associated with it and might turn into an expensive repair if something goes wrong. Asked Honda service too but they wont do it either. So I've wrapped the plan for now.

The parts required for fitting cruise control are available online at Ebay International etc. and we would need to get them here by paying a premium on shipping. What we need is a new instrument cluster with cruise lights and associated circuitry, the cruise buttons for steering wheel and some tiny electrical bits inside the steering wheel, provided we dont end up breaking the clockspring like that Cruisematec guy did. He replaced entire steering wheel with new one that has cruise and audio buttons. But we only need to buy cruise switches and fit it in the mesh part of the steering wheel. Need to reprogram the ECU too.

Total cost for parts would come to around 25-30k INR including shipping. There are also genereic cruise control kits available from brands like Rostra which costs about 10-15K but these doesnt gel well with Civics interiors and may require more wiring and separate stalk/lights etc.

So good luck with your venture if you are going for it. Let us know how it turns out
XtremeTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 14:38   #6754

Hi guys,

So i have two questions. I am facing the following problems in my 2008 V-AT Civic.

1) When i opened the bonnet recently at a petrol pump to get oil/ water checked, it was really hot. Like i could barely touch anything in there, even though i had driven barely 6-8km. It isn't supposed to be that hot is it? I was asked to change the oil even though my car underwent a proper service at HASS ( Arya Honda ) just 2 months ago.

2) After i put the key in and turn the ignition on, i realised that i can very easily slip the key in and out of there. That isn't supposed to happen is it? Why is it happening?
Old 25th July 2015, 16:43   #6755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeTorque View Post
Hi nik0502, its possible to fit cruise ......

So good luck with your venture if you are going for it. Let us know how it turns out
Hi XtremeTorque,

I did read the above thread. I am also not a DIY person. Specially when it comes to electronic & electricals. I do not have the car now. I am in process of selling my Fiesta and will buy a Civic once that's done. Does not seem to be much complicated though it does require someone who is skilled and have knowledge of electricals. Will explore my options once I get the car.

nIk
Old 25th July 2015, 18:50   #6756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthkhatau View Post
Hi guys,

So i have two questions. I am facing the following problems in my 2008 V-AT Civic.

1) When i opened the bonnet recently at a petrol pump to get oil/ water checked, it was really hot. Like i could barely touch anything in there, even though i had driven barely 6-8km. It isn't supposed to be that hot is it? I was asked to change the oil even though my car underwent a proper service at HASS ( Arya Honda ) just 2 months ago.

2) After i put the key in and turn the ignition on, i realised that i can very easily slip the key in and out of there. That isn't supposed to happen is it? Why is it happening?
Hi,
get the coolant level checked and also note the temp guage. It should be around the half or less level. Make sure both fans are working.

For the key does the second key also does the same? If the second key does not slip then the one you use could have the edges/teeth/grooves smoothened due to heavy usage. Avoid hanging any key chain which is heavy in weight. This could tend to wear out the key faster over the years. If you need a new key then look up key masters in team bhp directory.
Old 30th July 2015, 23:36   #6757
BHPian

Hi Guys, any recommendation on protection of my Civic from rats ? My wifes scooter was not starting few days ago. I took it to the local mechanic and this small kid identifies the fault and shows me chewed broken cables. He fixed it with replacements but something big concerns me now..

"Can rats really enter and cause damage to important stuff under the hood ?"

Last edited by spoth001 : 30th July 2015 at 23:58.
Old 30th July 2015, 23:58   #6758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
Hi Guys, any recommendation on protection of my Civic from rats ? My wifes scooter was not starting few days ago. I took it to the local mechanic and this small kid identifies the fault and shows me chewed broken cables. He fixed it with replacements but something big concerns me now..

"Can rats really enter and cause damage important stuff under the hood ?"
Well yes Rats can do heavy damage. It cost me around 8k to fix when than darned creature chewed up the car's fuel pipe at the place where it is connected to the fuel filter. Somehow due to my bad luck the rat found it's way to the top of the fuel filter. Here is the post related to same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3330807

Mind you this is just one place. People have rats inside the compartment of the a/c filter. They have also chewed up my car's wiper washer container pipe leading to drainage of all the water. Solution to the rat problem is wire mesh around the fuel filter, tobacco etc. There is a dedicated thread to the rat issues so you can go through same.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 11:01   #6759
BHPian

Dear BHPians from Mumbai,

Can you please suggest a good FNG in Mumbai for Civic? Someone who is hands on and knows the car in and out. Not a big thing to ask in a city like mumbai, right? Will be great if its in and around Chembur, Ghatkopar, Saki Naka, Kurla etc.
I'm trying to stay away from HASS and am struggling with some issues to be sorted out.

Will appreciate any kind of help.

Cheers!
Old 31st July 2015, 12:40   #6760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Dear BHPians from Mumbai,

Can you please suggest a good FNG in Mumbai for Civic?
Hey Lokesh, I have used services of Jatin (Wagenwerks) for some suspension work and was satisfied with him. He is a little on the expensive side but I was happy that he did the job well and within timelines. You can try him out.
Old 31st July 2015, 14:53   #6761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
Hey Lokesh, I have used services of Jatin (Wagenwerks) for some suspension work and was satisfied with him. He is a little on the expensive side but I was happy that he did the job well and within timelines. You can try him out.
Thanks Arun, but I would want to go somewhere else. Anyone else you know, by any chance?
Old 1st August 2015, 21:10   #6762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post

"Can rats really enter and cause damage to important stuff under the hood ?"
Hello,

I empathise with you.

I came across this thread some time back, and it really helps all.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-car-rats.html

Best Wishes.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 23:33   #6763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Thanks Arun, but I would want to go somewhere else. Anyone else you know, by any chance?
Sorry Lokesh, never used anyone else. I think Sumeet has a reliable guy he uses. Maybe he can help.
Old 2nd August 2015, 11:44   #6764
BHPian

So my Civic mileage wad getting really low (6 to 7 in city) It's an automatic and I rarely take it for highway and most of the city drive is handled by the diesel Sunny. So the monthly usage doesn't cross 200 km at best. Wonder if that's the reason for low mileage.
A friend suggested to buy a new air filter (my FNG mechanic always insists to clean rather than change it). I did just that and replaced it myself. Hopefully I can see some change in the consumption.
I also ordered the OBD adapter (http://www.ebay.in/itm/SuperMini-ELM...item2a50f6b2b1) since it has all sort of diagnostics including FE. Just not sure what is the right or optimum figure for the various parameters (I just know good or bad FE figures ☺)
Old 2nd August 2015, 13:46   #6765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
I also ordered the OBD adapter since it has all sort of diagnostics including FE. Just not sure what is the right or optimum figure for the various parameters
Are you sure bluetooth obd2 works with first gen Civics here or you just bought it? Let us know how good is this and what all it shows for Civic. I gotta get one too, mine's a 2007 VAT also from Kochi.

p.s. Do you service the car at Peninsular Honda?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks