Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2015, 21:37   #6826
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Finally I have USB connectivity in my 2008 civic. Ordered it from aliexpress and the parcel arrived in a month's time. Installation was a 5 minute job and it plays perfectly. I can change tracks from the head unit and the sound quality is good - I'm no audiophile so not sure about nuances. To change folders, now instead of the left knob I have to use the CD +/- buttons, because when I press aux on the head unit it displays CDC (CD Changer ) As the device plugs into the CD changer socket at the rear of the head unit. It does not display track titles though.Overall a value for money product at Rs.1,800.
Could not click detailed pics of the installation as I was overseeing the left ORVM repair and installation ( a buffalo ran into it) and within 5 mins the audio guy was done with his job.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo-260815-7-54-12-pm.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo-260815-7-54-52-pm.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo-260815-7-56-06-pm.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo-070915-4-53-28-pm.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 23:41   #6827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
It's under the steering left hand side corner under the dashboard
Hi, Steering means 'Steering Wheel' right? Can I open it easily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Finally I have USB connectivity in my 2008 civic. Ordered it from aliexpress and the parcel arrived in a month's time. Installation was a 5 minute job and it plays perfectly.
Hi, could you share the link from which you purchased it and can the installion happen at normal garages?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th September 2015 at 08:25. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 8th September 2015, 08:50   #6828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionAmit View Post
Hi, Steering means 'Steering Wheel' right? Can I open it easily?

Hi, could you share the link from which you purchased it and can the installion happen at normal garages?

You can use above video to locate port.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 8th September 2015 at 08:52.
Old 8th September 2015, 14:06   #6829

So my civic just went for its regular servicing yesterday and I pointed out that the airbag light wasn't coming on to the guy concerned.
I got a call from him today saying that the SRS Cable in the steering wheel needs to be changed and that costs ₹12k.
I asked him to disconnect the airbags so that the light goes and he said that he cannot do that and that the light will stay. The only way to get the light to go is to change the SRS Cable.
Can anyone help me with what I can / should do? Is it a safety hazard, ie is there is possibility of the airbags randomly deploying?
Old 8th September 2015, 20:50   #6830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthkhatau View Post
So my civic just went for its regular servicing yesterday and I pointed out that the airbag light wasn't coming on to the guy concerned.
I got a call from him today saying that the SRS Cable in the steering wheel needs to be changed and that costs ₹12k.
I asked him to disconnect the airbags so that the light goes and he said that he cannot do that and that the light will stay. The only way to get the light to go is to change the SRS Cable.
Can anyone help me with what I can / should do? Is it a safety hazard, ie is there is possibility of the airbags randomly deploying?
I understand that the airbag warning lamp is always on. This shows that the SRS system has detected a fault. If the system detects a fault, the firing algorithms wont deploy an airbag.

What you should now be worried is not random deployment, but non deployment in case of an accident.
Old 8th September 2015, 21:04   #6831

Alright but is there anyway to get the light to go off without shelling out 15k on a new part right now?( it's ok if the airbags donor deploy as my run is in the city and I do not drive on high speeds ) I'm sure it's possible to get the problem fixed outside cause I feel HASS are trying to fleece me here.
Old 9th September 2015, 00:12   #6832
BHPian

Quote:
Alright but is there anyway to get the light to go off without shelling out 15k on a new part right now?( it's ok if the airbags donor deploy as my run is in the city and I do not drive on high speeds ) I'm sure it's possible to get the problem fixed outside cause I feel HASS are trying to fleece me here.

HASS certainly seems to be fleecing you. They are preying on your safety concerns. Very typical. Simply put, and I may be wrong here, no single cable in the whole Civic costs anywhere around 12k. And if any cable even did cost that much really, the sheer make and quality of it would make it to outlast the life of the car itself. Just saying.

Removing the cable would in fact ensure that the light stays on. So that's a no go. You can certainly fix the problem and there are people who deal particularly in the subject. Just double check their credibility.
Old 9th September 2015, 01:04   #6833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HASS is certainly trying to fleece you. They tried the same with me sometime earlier asking me to replace brake pads and discs when I had not even done 25k kms. I managed to drive another 10k+ after than it still feels good to me. Suggest you to check with some good FNGs. I also dont think a "cable" costs 12k or so, it should also include some major part of the SRS mechanism.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 11:43   #6834

Quote:
Dear parthkhatau, I think its more of a safety issue and you better have it checked at a FNG. The part HASS is referring to is the oriel clock spring I think. A check at a FNG can confirm if that is the issue or not and you can check in the open market for this component. Best would be if you can get the part number from Hass.

And this particular cable is quite costly I think, based on my reading in the Pak honda civic forum.
Old 10th September 2015, 19:16   #6835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionAmit View Post

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/new-U...444_6,201409_5

It is a simple plug and play job. At the back of the head unit is a connector / socket just push in the white connector of the device into it and press aux on the head unit, done ,you're good to go.

Last edited by WasavaTyres : 10th September 2015 at 19:36.
WasavaTyres is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 10:26   #6836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/new-U...444_6,201409_5

It is a simple plug and play job. At the back of the head unit is a connector / socket just push in the white connector of the device into it and press aux on the head unit, done ,you're good to go.
Thanks for the info, WasavaTyres. Is this the same one? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ctOnSuccess=1#

Also, any idea if this will work with Civic 2007 model?
Old 11th September 2015, 11:37   #6837
BHPian

Looks to be the same one. No idea if it'll work with a 2007 model car.
Old 11th September 2015, 17:07   #6838
Senior - BHPian

My Civics’ 12 volt accessory socket blew a fuse when I was topping up air in my car’s tyres using the electric air pump. The 12 volt accessory needs a 15 AMP fuse. I checked under the hood box where there are spare fuses and saw the spare one’s were not 15 AMP fuses. The accessory socket fuse is located in the fuse box which is under the dash(Bhpian Saurabhkum guided me regarding this). The fuse no 29 is the one which is for the accessory socket.

I went to my parts store with a sample fuse from the hood fuse box (it was 7.5 Amp though) and asked for a similar sized but 15 AMP one and bought 2 same sized 15 AMP fuses for 20 bucks. In the hood fuse box there is white colored pinch/fuse puller which is very useful to pry out the fuse. Mind you the fuse is pretty small and care should be taken not to misplace it. Also one has to open the driver door wide open as the fuse box is located at a very hard to see and work on place. After using the pinch to pull out the blown fuse I replaced it with the new one. A gentle but firm push is needed to secure the fuse into the slot. After that I checked the accessory socket by connecting my Dashcam.

No 29 (15 AMP) is for the 12 volt accessory.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-fuse_box.jpg

The old fuse.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20150911_113750.jpg

Notice the blown out connection.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-blown_fuse.jpg

Make sure to use the fuse puller provided to pry out the fuses. Also best to keep a spare for the range of AMP of fuses.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 11:47   #6839
Senior - BHPian

This is a bit urgent.

any idea where I can buy the blue Honda coolant?
The reserve tank on my civic is totally empty. I had topped up a week back. So that implies there's a leak.

I'll get that looked on Monday. But for now, I need the car for the weekend. Any leads to buy it OTC?
Old 12th September 2015, 15:30   #6840
BANNED

semeet; There is normally a15A spare fuse under the hood. I have blown it twice! Both times with a dodgy car fridge.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks