Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2015, 18:17   #7111
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

My Nov 2010 Civic A/T crossed 1 Lakh Km mark today.By far the car has been trouble free except for the following:

1) Engine mount replaced under warranty
2) Rear and Front Brake Disc and Rotor replacement at 65000 KM
3) Suspension Bushes and Tie rod replacement at 85000 KM
4) Ignition Coil replacement at 46000 KM
5) Two Punctures in Stock Bridgestone which were replaced with Michelin XM2 205/65/15 at 61000 KM
6) Stock Battery replaced with Amaron Pro (Can't remember when I did this)

She never failed me during long distance trips where she was put through several 15 Plus hours non stop driving with full load, bad terrains, peak summer temperatures, pouring rains and what not. She has taken my family to Rajasthan, MP, Gujarat, Chattissgarh, Maharashtra besides the 4 Southern states.

I intend to keep the car for as long as I can Honda Service/ Parts availability permitting.Hopefully the next 100000 km is trouble free as the 1st and she takes my family to many more places across the country.
ramanak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 18:24   #7112

A strange thing is happening on My 75k run 2007 S MT Silver Honda Civic. When I start the engine I get a water fountain like noise from the engine bay which subsides as soon as I depress the clutch. The sound/ noise is very faint so I am suspecting it to be the serpentine belt or some pulleys associated with it, however I am not able to figure out the source or why on depressing the clutch this noise is dying down.

I was also suspecting it to be the auto tensioner for the timing chain, though it does not seem to be case, its just a guess anyways.

Only pointer I have is the noise getting cut once clutch is depressed even the slightest.

Any ideas for troubleshooting this will be highly appreciated. Thank you all in advance .

On another note the clunk from the right suspension on turning right hitting pothole at a speed of 20-30 is quite pronounced now a days and infact I have kind of confirmed that atleast for me this only happens in the above mentioned speed range. This happens due to the ball joint on the lower control arm hitting the metal plate behind the disc rotor. Some bushes or something seems has gone off tolerance in this case and causing this unwanted movement and the resultant clunk.
Old 15th December 2015, 18:34   #7113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsatpathy View Post
A strange thing is happening on My 75k run 2007 S MT Silver Honda Civic. When I start the engine I get a water fountain like noise from the engine bay which subsides as soon as I depress the clutch. The sound/ noise is very faint so I am suspecting it to be the serpentine belt or some pulleys associated with it, however I am not able to figure out the source or why on depressing the clutch this noise is dying down.

I was also suspecting it to be the auto tensioner for the timing chain, though it does not seem to be case, its just a guess anyways.

Only pointer I have is the noise getting cut once clutch is depressed even the slightest.

Any ideas for troubleshooting this will be highly appreciated. Thank you all in advance .

On another note the clunk from the right suspension on turning right hitting pothole at a speed of 20-30 is quite pronounced now a days and infact I have kind of confirmed that atleast for me this only happens in the above mentioned speed range. This happens due to the ball joint on the lower control arm hitting the metal plate behind the disc rotor. Some bushes or something seems has gone off tolerance in this case and causing this unwanted movement and the resultant clunk.
Does this happen as soon as the AC is switched on? Because I have exactly same noise when I start the car, just that I have figured out that it is related to AC.

On the 'clunk' bit do let us know if you get it rectified. Seems that Sumeet and I have the same issue with our Civic. For me at least, none of the garages (including HASS) have been able to pinpoint the issue and commit on a resolution yet .
Old 15th December 2015, 19:03   #7114

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Does this happen as soon as the AC is switched on? Because I have exactly same noise when I start the car, just that I have figured out that it is related to AC.
No this noise is irrespective of the ac, it does come on its own once the engine is running, settles down to a faintly audible water flowing down the fountain kind of sound, and it dies down as soon as the clutch is depressed. The noise resumes back again, when the clutch is dis-engaged, its a regular thing happening since the last 2-3 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
On the 'clunk' bit do let us know if you get it rectified. Seems that Sumeet and I have the same issue with our Civic. For me at least, none of the garages (including HASS) have been able to pinpoint the issue and commit on a resolution yet .
It seems to be due to the lca bushes, since the last time I had the bushes changed and then the ball joints the noise had died down for a good 5-6 months. Recently I had it diagnosed at HASS, my trusty mechanic there told me nothing to worry absolutely and he mentioned when the clunk is more pronounced in higher speeds e.g. 40-50 kph he will have the bushes for the lower control arms, the bushes sitting on top of the suspension, I think that is the bump stop and the bottom bushes all changed to have it rectified, lets see how it goes.
Old 15th December 2015, 19:27   #7115
BHPian

Quote:
No this noise is irrespective of the ac, it does come on its own once the engine is running, settles down to a faintly audible water flowing down the fountain kind of sound, and it dies down as soon as the clutch is depressed. The noise resumes back again, when the clutch is dis-engaged, its a regular thing happening since the last 2-3 weeks.

This most probably sounds like your clutch release bearing. Adjusting the clutch play just a tiny bit can give you temporary respite but you will have to get it replaced eventually in the long run. That is inevitable. Most of the times it is not a very serious problem unless the noise is extremely pronounced or harsh.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 19:45   #7116

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
This most probably sounds like your clutch release bearing. Adjusting the clutch play just a tiny bit can give you temporary respite but you will have to get it replaced eventually in the long run. That is inevitable. Most of the times it is not a very serious problem unless the noise is extremely pronounced or harsh.
Ohh is it so, I did not know that , between the Hass mechanic was telling me to have the clutch overhauled and infact the clutch has become quite hard, however there has not been a drop in mileage and also the clutch is not slipping, I have applied the 3rd gear handbrake release clutch method to check this.

Dear pixantz, do you think I can have the release bearing changed for the clutch only? or should I go with the clutch overhaul, 1st let me try adjusting the clutch play, in anycase since these clutch are hyadraulic onces that does not help much but let me give that a try first.

Thank you for the info, and I had not seen that one coming though.
Old 16th December 2015, 02:05   #7117
BHPian

If your clutch is hard too then a clutch overhaul would be more advisable. Because the labour for changing only bearing would be almost the same as the whole gearbox would have to be opened up in both cases and doing it up properly once and for all makes more sense as your clutch plate and pressure plate could be worn too.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 11:30   #7118
Senior - BHPian

What is the battery in the Civic key? Mine's pretty low at the moment; it takes several presses to lock and open the car. A search suggests it should be CR1616 - is that correct? Any brand would do or is there a preferred brand? Amazon has a range of prices (Rs. 115 for a pack of 5 to Rs. 1419).

Last edited by binand : 16th December 2015 at 11:41.
Old 16th December 2015, 20:24   #7119

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
What is the battery in the Civic key? Mine's pretty low at the moment; it takes several presses to lock and open the car. A search suggests it should be CR1616 - is that correct? Any brand would do or is there a preferred brand? Amazon has a range of prices (Rs. 115 for a pack of 5 to Rs. 1419).
Yes it is CR-1616 and you can get a individual battery of CR-1616 from your local watch shop for Re. 45 to Re 60 max, I had it changed in my car remote last year and its working fine so far and it's a maxell branded battery.
amitsatpathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 20:56   #7120

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
If your clutch is hard too then a clutch overhaul would be more advisable. Because the labour for changing only bearing would be almost the same as the whole gearbox would have to be opened up in both cases and doing it up properly once and for all makes more sense as your clutch plate and pressure plate could be worn too.
After a hard ride today I see the bearing noise has died down, what I will do now is have the transmission oil changed, have the clutch bite point/ play adjusted and see how it goes from there, since there has been no mileage drop in my car nor any clutch slippage, so will resort to a clutch overhaul after few months. Thanks again pixantz for your valuable pointer in the right direction, appreciate it .
amitsatpathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 21:33   #7121
BHPian

Quote:
After a hard ride today I see the bearing noise has died down, what I will do now is have the transmission oil changed, have the clutch bite point/ play adjusted and see how it goes from there, since there has been no mileage drop in my car nor any clutch slippage, so will resort to a clutch overhaul after few months. Thanks again pixantz for your valuable pointer in the right direction, appreciate it .
All the best. Hope your Honda gets back in her groove.
Old 17th December 2015, 08:28   #7122
BHPian

Good morning, Civi(c)lians!

My 2008 VMT has done 70,600 kms, and it's time for a 2nd tyre change. She's running on GoodYears, at the moment. But, I wish to upgrade to either Yokohamas or Michelins.

Seeking advice and recommendations about which brand and what models in the 195/65/R15 zone I can go for.

Thanks, fellas!
Old 17th December 2015, 12:24   #7123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post

My 2008 VMT has done 70,600 kms, and it's time for a 2nd tyre change. She's running on GoodYears, at the moment. But, I wish to upgrade to either Yokohamas or Michelins.

Seeking advice and recommendations about which brand and what models in the 195/65/R15 zone I can go for.

Thanks, fellas!
My Civic runs on Michelin PLC 195/65 R15 from day one and I have had no qualms so far. Have done 19K km in the last 5.5 yrs of ownership. Michelins are soft and offer a very comfortable ride sans road noise. Havent tried Yokohama yet so cant comment on the same.
rr_zen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 13:10   #7124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post

Thanks, fellas!
I would recommend Michelin as well.

Go for PLC if you drive on good roads predominantly or XM2 if you drive frequently on bad roads.
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 19:18   #7125
BHPian

Guys,

My Civic has suffered a lot of bruises and dents in last couple of years thanks to Mumbai's traffic and especially Auto Rickshaws I really feel bad at the look of all this.

Had been looking for some good paintjob garage for last few weeks. Finally had the courage to trust Rapid Repairs in Sanpada Navi Mumbai. They came in today and surveyed the car. Almost every panel has some dent, scratch or touch up work except the roof and the bonnet. Plus both the bumpers need refitting and alignment. They suggest to do the whole body paint. The quote they have given me is for 38k Work to be done in a week. If I go for panel wise work, the cost quoted is Rs 3.5k per panel. Minimum 5 panels to be worked upon in this case.

Wanted to know from fellow BHPians if anyone has got into something like this before? and what should be the ideal cost.

There is a dent in the boot (courtesy a taxi who rear ended on a signal), a shallow dent cum scratch without paint loss (courtesy NSFNG where my car went a few months ago) in the side panel above rear wheel well. Rest is all touch ups and repaints with bumper alignments.

Last edited by 1lokesh : 17th December 2015 at 19:19.

Most Viewed