Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2016, 15:06   #7186
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Has anyone replaced the bulb under those backlit switches on the dashboard? One of those switches used to change brightness settings on the instrument console is no more lighting up. Any idea what kind of bulb it takes and how to replace it?
I had it replaced. One of the bulbs behind the A/C switches had conked off. Cost me around 120/- including labor.
The only thing was that the bulb was not in stock, but the ASS, Ring Road Honda Gurgaon, promptly ordered it and called me once it arrived.

Not a big deal or a big expense.

Rgds
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 16:14   #7187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
hey guys,

of late, my civic 2009 civic A/T mileage has suddenly dipped very sharply. I used to get 6-6.5 in Bbay heavy traffic. Now its about 5 kmpl.
Ok. I don't know what the garage did tuning wise or otherwise but my mileage is back to around 6 - 6.75 kmpl range. Seems like some inexplicable temporary spell of 2 months or so when it gave lower mileage. Back to normal now over several top ups.
Old 27th January 2016, 19:19   #7188

Civic Sports - Nagging issues with gear shift

Fellow BHPians,
After a long search for a reliable and sparingly used Civic, I chanced upon a limited edition sports 2009, MT model with 57k on the odometer. The car is in good shape and sparingly used. All seemed well for the past couple of months and one fine day it started! I have been having issues with engaging the first gear. Sometimes also seems to happen on the second, just doesn't seem to engage all that smoothly, however No loss of power, no dragging etc. so I am not sure if its a clutch plate issue or something else. How do I tell? I asked a regular and reliable mechanic acquaintance of mine to test drive and he seems to think its all good. However I am not convinced, the clutch seems hard and has to be depressed fully in.

Apart from this, I have really not done any preventive maintenance now that its close to 60K. What should I be looking for? Don't want to take it a dealer and get a feeling that I got conned, so looking for some expert advise please. Apart from engine oil change and tire rotation/alignment, I really haven't touched the car. Any relevant input welcome. Thanks!
Old 27th January 2016, 20:28   #7189
Senior - BHPian

Re: Civic Sports - Nagging issues with gear shift

With a Civic it should be easy to check if there is any issue with the clutch. Simply try lugging the engine by cruising at 50 and slotting it into 5th to see if the clutch slips. If it doesn't then perhaps it could also be something like maybe the clutch lining

Last edited by IshaanIan : 27th January 2016 at 20:30.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 21:02   #7190
Distinguished - BHPian

The Civic has a hydraulic clutch which is more or less maintenance free.

A hard shift is probably due to a clutch adjustment or a gear cable/rod adjustment. Get it checked at a Honda dealer or a competent 3rd party mechanic.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th January 2016 at 08:22. Reason: Posts moved to existing thread. Thanks!
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 08:11   #7191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshots View Post
However I am not convinced, the clutch seems hard and has to be depressed fully in.
I think your problem is the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder. I dont know if the Civic has both, but, usually when the clutch cylinder is shot, the movement of pressure plate is limited, and the clutch wont fully disengage (control shaft not able to press the pressure plate fully to release the frinction plate from flywheel), you'll have to press it fully with force. It also becomes very hard.

I have a feeling you will have slight play on the very top of the pedal travel?

Change the clutch cylinders and you should be fine.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 08:29   #7192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fellow BHPians,
After a long search for a reliable and sparingly used Civic, I chanced upon a limited edition sports 2009, MT model with 57k on the odometer. The car is in good shape and sparingly used. All seemed well for the past couple of months and one fine day it started! I have been having issues with engaging the first gear. Sometimes also seems to happen on the second, just doesn't seem to engage all that smoothly, however No loss of power, no dragging etc. so I am not sure if its a clutch plate issue or something else. How do I tell? I asked a regular and reliable mechanic acquaintance of mine to test drive and he seems to think its all good. However I am not convinced, the clutch seems hard and has to be depressed fully in.

Apart from this, I have really not done any preventive maintenance now that its close to 60K. What should I be looking for? Don't want to take it a dealer and get a feeling that I got conned, so looking for some expert advise please. Apart from engine oil change and tire rotation/alignment, I really haven't touched the car. Any relevant input welcome. Thanks!
Check if there is any obstruction under the clutch pedal like the carpet etc. Sometimes the problem might because of a simple thing like this. Check the clutch fluid level under the hood. If it's low top it up with a proper grade fluid. Also the clutch master/slave cylinders can be a issue. When those go wrong the y the clutch pedal feels a little limp and the pedal feels a bit weak and needs to be pressed in hard. By Pumping the pedal if you feel that it has become more firm then it's a sure shot case of the cylinders. Best get it checked out a proper Honda service station and see what they have to say. Get a second opinion from outside if they quote too high.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 09:06   #7193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Fellow BHPians,

After a long search for a reliable and sparingly used Civic, I chanced upon a limited edition sports 2009, MT model with 57k on the odometer.

Hi. Can I please ask how much you paid for this? I have identical mileage 2009 civic but in AT. Wanted a sense of what these get traded at. I'll bear in mind of course that chennai and mumbai prices may have some differences.
Old 28th January 2016, 12:31   #7194
BHPian

Quote:
Fellow BHPians,
Don't want to take it a dealer and get a feeling that I got conned, so looking for some expert advise please
Get it Checked by Raghav at Ignite Garage (located on the ECR)
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 19:31   #7195

Thank you fellow BHPians. I have a lot to go after now First step I will try and check on the clutch cylinders with a trusted mechanic of mine cylinders, fluid level (?) and cable play etc. However I have already ruled out the obvious issues like obstruction under the mat or any such visibly simple issue. I have heard a lot about Raghav and Ignite garage, will take it there too, hoping its a simple case to fix. Will update post after I fix it, many thanks again guys
Old 28th January 2016, 19:39   #7196

Post deleted. Please do not create back to back posts: use "Edit" option if within the 20 minute editing window. Also please wait for your post to be approved by a moderator before attempting to repost.
Please read our forum rules carefully before proceeding.

Last edited by noopster : 28th January 2016 at 20:38.
slickshots is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 00:24   #7197
BHPian

A friend of mine picked up a pre owned 06 Civic. The car went in for 80k service today and came back with a bill of 16k. the Fuel strainer and synthetic oil wer the big ticket items in the service. The SA tried to push for underbody coating, 3M paint coating etc which i asked him to refuse.

Now the issues-
- The front passenger power window switch seems to have a mind of its own. At times, does not go up. It even works at times with the ignition on.
- SA mentioned that one of the Fans have failed and the part is not in stock. Costs 12k. Says its OK to drive around with a single fan, asked to keep an eye for overheating. Is this right?
- The power steering fluid is leaking.

Any FNG's to reliably diagnose and fix these issues? Preferably near Marathahalli - Koramangala area.

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th January 2016, 07:28   #7198

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post

Any FNG's to reliably diagnose and fix these issues? Preferably near Marathahalli - Koramangala area.

Thanks in advance.
You can try bay 6 located on sarjapur road. Has good repute; planning to go there for my 40k service soon.

http://http://www.team-bhp.com/forum...bangalore.html
ajslave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 07:35   #7199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
A

Now the issues-
- The front passenger power window switch seems to have a mind of its own. At times, does not go up. It even works at times with the ignition on.
- SA mentioned that one of the Fans have failed and the part is not in stock. Costs 12k. Says its OK to drive around with a single fan, asked to keep an eye for overheating. Is this right?
- The power steering fluid is leaking.
Get all of this rectified from a garage as these will cost a bomb to fix at Honda. The power steering pump will need a overhaul and will cost max 5 to 6 k at a FNG. Avoid Honda for same as they will themselves outsource the work to a third party and charge you a premium for it. Also the fans for the a/c & radiator will cost around 2.5-3.2 k each (Denso make) and max 100 bucks labour so get it fixed it from outside. Better avoid using the a/c to prevent overheating if not getting fixed right away.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 01:00   #7200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
91345-RDA-A01

This is the O ring involved in the Honda TSB. Inlet side. This is on the PS pump where the hose from the PS fluid reservoir meets.

The part number for the outlet O ring, I think, is 91347-PAA-A01. I got the inlet from this site. In my case, the outlet O ring was sourced by my guy.

The leak could be from anywhere. You will only know once they open it up. But rest assured, even if it is from the rack, it can be refinished in a lathe. My guy charges about 6K for rebuilding the complete rack. That's 1/10th the cost of a new one. He sort of specializes in hydraulic power steering. He used to be the workshop manager for a Hyundai dealership in Trivandrum. I will give him a call tomorrow and see where he sources his O rings. My dad told me that there's a company in Cochin who make hydraulic parts for marine engines, even the 15K BHP monsters powering bulk carriers. I will try to get that lead as well.
Hi ImmortalZ,

Any information on this O ring. I am planning to get the steering opened on coming weekend and get it fixed. Was thinking if I could source the O ring before opening up steering system and keep it handy in case these O rings need replacement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks