Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 15:01   #721
BANNED

Looked into the manual. They only specify API-SL. So any good oil, mineral or otherwise should do. I would say run-in using a mineral or a semi-synth. Then go full synth.
Old 7th May 2010, 13:43   #722
Senior - BHPian

My wife complains that my car is pretty noisy outside, especially when stopped with the engine running after a long drive. i too find that the noise is a bit high, though not felt while inside. This seems to be the radiator fan ( 2 of them?) noise and/or A/c unit sound. Engine is pretty silent. Is it the same with other "Civilians" here or do I need to check the car?
Old 7th May 2010, 14:59   #723
Senior - BHPian

Yes, there are two fans. One for the radiator and one for the AC condenser. They are pretty loud when they are on. They also radiate a serious amount of heat when they are running too. Other than that, the engine has a slightly tappety note in my car. If you compare that sound to say a D-4D on cold start, it's whisper quiet. I can't make out any specific AC noise other than the fan. I've heard a hiss when it starts up for the first time, but other than that, nothing.

Also, might as well slip this in.

My car has run 20K+ now. Everything normal. Even after a drive where it was driver as hard as possible on broken roads, not a single change in behavior. Hell, the brakes feel better.
Old 7th May 2010, 19:55   #724
BANNED

Civic require dot 3 or dot 4 brake oil ? Is servo brake fluid is good enough ?
Old 8th May 2010, 13:04   #725
Senior - BHPian

DOT3 minimum. DOT4 is fine too.
Old 14th May 2010, 11:35   #726
Senior - BHPian

Any idea how is the instantaneous FE display calculated in the new Civic cars? I mean, is it an average of last X kms or X minutes?

In Corolla Altis there are two options, current FE and Average FE. THe first one seems to be mostly useless for city drives as it has an ultra wide range between 99.9 kmpl to 1 kmpl and keeps changing almost every second. The average FE seems to be calculated based on certain factors such as last x kms or last x minutes and the figures doesn't seem to change often.

In Civic, there is only one FE display mode and it seems to be combination of both options in Altis. The figures does change fairly frequently but not like the current FE display in Altis. It seems to be intelligent enough not to add up FE during idling to some crazy figures like in Altis. I think it is calculated only when the car moves and probably changes every few meters of driving. Initially I was mistaken to believe that the FE shown on display after along drive is the average for the trip.

Any clues?
Old 14th May 2010, 12:14   #727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
The figures does change fairly frequently but not like the current FE display in Altis. It seems to be intelligent enough not to add up FE during idling to some crazy figures like in Altis. I think it is calculated only when the car moves and probably changes every few meters of driving. Initially I was mistaken to believe that the FE shown on display after along drive is the average for the trip.
Same Q I have. Yet to decipher how it calculates. But it does calculate when idle. I've been idling a lot initially and FE keeps dropping periodically.

I think it's time based. And shows the average FE for the trip. Might be a calculation based on kms run during the trip and fuel consumed. It might either be keeping track of fuel consumed or calculating based on tank capacity minus fuel remaining.
Old 14th May 2010, 16:49   #728
Senior - BHPian

Today my rear left tail lamp and rear bumper took a hit.
I went to Carnation - Jagadish Khattar's initiative to check it out for the repairs.

Rear tail lamp has to be sourced from outside, may be malaysia/Thailand. They have some tie ups. Will take 3 to 5 days. Costs Rs5300/-

Checked with Honda Dealer - Item is in stock Rs 4998/- Got it fitted from the dealer.

So my impressions is spares are costing almost same but a lead time to source is invetitable, as they deal with all cars and thus order spares as per the need rather than stock as dealers do. Probably they'd improve on this in the coming years.

Further cost of painting the bumper at honda dealers are Rs5750/- and at carnation is a max of Rs3000/-. they are also ready to do a part painting for lesser rates and doesnot insist on full painting etc.

I asked them only to cover the area impacted. Costs are good. And the best part, They only took the bumper, car is with me . Tomorrow i must be getting it back.

I'll give the feedback of the work tomorrow.

Saw many OHC, and skodas there in the bays.
Old 14th May 2010, 17:23   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Same Q I have. Yet to decipher how it calculates. But it does calculate when idle. I've been idling a lot initially and FE keeps dropping periodically.

I think it's time based. And shows the average FE for the trip. Might be a calculation based on kms run during the trip and fuel consumed. It might either be keeping track of fuel consumed or calculating based on tank capacity minus fuel remaining.
Hmm. I think I have deciphered how it calculates. It is actually tied to the trip meter. The display what you see at the end of the trip is indeed the average for the entire trip (since the trip meter was reset). That is the reason why it seems to change more frequently initially during the trip and then slowly once the trip distance increases. I have tried it today with trip A continuing from my last long trip and trip B reset to zero. Both did show different readings with the trip B one is only for last few kms run purely in B2B traffic and trip A is a long average based on about 900 kms of running in both city and highway.
Old 14th May 2010, 17:49   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
My wife complains that my car is pretty noisy outside, especially when stopped with the engine running after a long drive. i too find that the noise is a bit high, though not felt while inside. This seems to be the radiator fan ( 2 of them?) noise and/or A/c unit sound. Engine is pretty silent. Is it the same with other "Civilians" here or do I need to check the car?
This is the same query I had too. Once I got out of the car with the engine and A/C running and was taken aback by the noise that came from under the hood. Thankfully, now that I hear the same from fellow TBHPians, am relieved. I still have one more query though. Is there a way to switch on the blower alone without switching on the A/C ? I dont seem to find a way to do it.
Old 14th May 2010, 18:10   #731
Senior - BHPian

theres and AC on/Off switch at the left.
Switch it to off, turn the fan speed to what you like. it works.
Old 15th May 2010, 14:07   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
theres and AC on/Off switch at the left.
Switch it to off, turn the fan speed to what you like. it works.
I think this would still mean that the A/C is turned on along with the blower and one has to turn off the A/C right ? This is what I have been doing all the while. I would like to know if the blower alone can be switched on and off without the A/C being activated. I am used to this feature in my Esteem and hence felt the need in the Civic as well.
Old 15th May 2010, 14:38   #733
BHPian

Yes you can switch on/off only blower in civic as well. If you are used with Auto mode oly then after putting Auto Mode just click the Sc button on extreme left and it will switch off ac and then you can manipulate blower speed by blower knob.
Old 15th May 2010, 17:03   #734
Senior - BHPian

Turning off the AC by pressing the AC button on the climate control works. It also shuts off the fan. Quite useful if you want to leave the blower on while the engine is off and not make a racket.

The Civic trip computer's FE meter is indeed tied to the trip meters. It just divides the trip meter distance by the fuel consumed to show you what you see. So yes, it considers idling and traffic light stops.
Old 16th May 2010, 12:12   #735
Senior - BHPian

Car nation has done a decent job.
I had send them a feedback, and Mr. Jagadesh Khattar himself looked into it.

This gives a good feeling, that even if things go wrong, we have the managements eye on the issue. So to say - good feeling.

I am going to them again this weekend for the Ac vent issue, and lets see how things progress.

Well it seems we'll get an alternative to the horrifying dealership service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks