Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2016, 00:14   #7411
BHPian

I have bunch of small and medium sized scratches both on the bumpers as well as the metal body of my Alabaster Silver Civic. I'm considering a DIY touch-up job using the Com Paint kit.
http://www.com-paint.com/products/co...-kit-for-cars/

Have any of you tried this? Is the color matching with Alabaster Silver good? Is touching up the plastic bumper a different ballgame than touching up the metal body? Have other alternatives worked well for you? Any tips will be much appreciated.

Last edited by coolvenk : 26th April 2016 at 00:16.
Old 26th April 2016, 06:17   #7412
BANNED

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

@coolvenk; Honda colour match across multiple platforms is excellent, so Compaint should also do a good job. As for metal ve plastic, remember the paint of plastic, esp. bumper, mudflaps has to flex (far moer than on metal), so there may be issues regarding crack resistance.

Please post youe experience, since I also have a Civic in the same colour.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 12:51   #7413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
I have bunch of small and medium sized scratches both on the bumpers as well as the metal body of my Alabaster Silver Civic. I'm considering a DIY touch-up job using the Com Paint kit.
http://www.com-paint.com/products/co...-kit-for-cars/

Have any of you tried this? Is the color matching with Alabaster Silver good? Is touching up the plastic bumper a different ballgame than touching up the metal body? Have other alternatives worked well for you? Any tips will be much appreciated.
I have tried Com paint on my Civic for the same reasons mentioned by you. Mine is a darker shade (Polished Metal Metallic) of grey. I found the paint to be good but the colour match was probably 97%-98% and not an exact one. However, since you have a lighter shade I am hoping the match to be close to 100%.

In my experience with Com paint, I was better off using a small paint brush to touch up scratched portions rather than spray painting the affected area.
rr_zen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 13:29   #7414
BANNED

If you want to use the spray the best way is to use tape to mask off all but the area to be coated. Then 'fairing' in the fresh paint is much easier.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 21:21   #7415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Bhpians,

Can we get the Civic MT to move from a standstill without accelerator input? (Using half clutch)
Bhpians, any response to the above query?

I have one more query. Does the AC affect performance significantly?
Old 26th April 2016, 23:10   #7416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bhpians, any response to the above query?

I have not yet tried moving with nil accelerator input in the Civic, though many other cars have not much issues moving that way in hands of a skilled driver. I will try that and report but in case it doesn't, I will blame it on poor low end torque of the VTEC.

Regarding your query on the AC, I would say that the drop in performance is noticeable but not significant. I will say that it really doesn't bother me. I am just back from a 650 kms drive with 100 % AC. Never during the trip I needed to switch it off for gaining power.

By the looks of your query, I feel that you have a doubt regarding the power output in your car. Shoot some more symptoms so that we can help better.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 26th April 2016 at 23:16.
Old 27th April 2016, 01:22   #7417
BHPian

Quote:
Not really. What the car ecm does is when it "knows" that the comp is going to be switched on at any time, it preps the engine by giving it just amount of extra "juice" or gas so as to keep the 'on-tap' power or engine rpm at the optimum levels at all times so as to facilitate the best possible pick-up, driveability and overall performance in the same way as if the AC was not on at all.

This is in split seconds decided even before the comp turns on so as for it to be almost unnoticeable to the normal person. By the way, this all applies to an engine which is in ship shape.

If you notice any negative behaviour during AC operation be it lower than usual torque or juddering or laziness or the kind then something is not right with the car. Culprits can range from spark plugs to clutch plates to pgm-fi to throttle body and the likes. Even insufficient engine lubrication can be the case in extreme cases.
Old 27th April 2016, 11:01   #7418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bhpians,

Can we get the Civic MT to move from a standstill without accelerator input? (Using half clutch)
Yes you can. It helps in stop go traffic quite a lot. It can also crawl up a slow incline. The power output is quite decent, been using this all the while in stupid Bangalore traffic.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 22:13   #7419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I have not yet tried moving with nil accelerator input in the Civic, though many other cars have not much issues moving that way in hands of a skilled driver. I will try that and report but in case it doesn't, I will blame it on poor low end torque of the VTEC.

Regarding your query on the AC, I would say that the drop in performance is noticeable but not significant. I will say that it really doesn't bother me. I am just back from a 650 kms drive with 100 % AC. Never during the trip I needed to switch it off for gaining power.

By the looks of your query, I feel that you have a doubt regarding the power output in your car. Shoot some more symptoms so that we can help better.

Regards.
Even I feel that there is no significant drop in power but it is noticeable. My clutch judders in first and reverse gears and my cooling coil needs immediate replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Not really. What the car ecm does is when it "knows" that the comp is going to be switched on at any time, it preps the engine by giving it just amount of extra "juice" or gas so as to keep the 'on-tap' power or engine rpm at the optimum levels at all times so as to facilitate the best possible pick-up, driveability and overall performance in the same way as if the AC was not on at all.

This is in split seconds decided even before the comp turns on so as for it to be almost unnoticeable to the normal person. By the way, this all applies to an engine which is in ship shape.

If you notice any negative behaviour during AC operation be it lower than usual torque or juddering or laziness or the kind then something is not right with the car. Culprits can range from spark plugs to clutch plates to pgm-fi to throttle body and the likes. Even insufficient engine lubrication can be the case in extreme cases.
My clutch judders in 1st and reverse gears a bit. I will have to get it checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Yes you can. It helps in stop go traffic quite a lot. It can also crawl up a slow incline. The power output is quite decent, been using this all the while in stupid Bangalore traffic.
My car simply cannot move without accelerator input from a standstill.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 27th April 2016 at 22:17.
Old 29th April 2016, 10:16   #7420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My car simply cannot move without accelerator input from a standstill.
The clutch needs looking into. Usually, all it should take is a slow release of the clutch to get the car to move forward.
Old 29th April 2016, 10:20   #7421
BANNED

I agree with coolkurt. Let me put it my AT tends to 'creep' indicating that there should be enough juice, but then we have the torque multiplier effect of the converter. In the past I have done it with the Esteem (carb) and Accent. In fact this is my normal way to teach people clutch control, and I did it with both my kids (now both 30+).
Old 29th April 2016, 10:32   #7422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
The clutch needs looking into. Usually, all it should take is a slow release of the clutch to get the car to move forward.
I assume the car runs fine otherwise. You really have to be a little delicate with your left foot for this. But I assume this is all ok.

If the engine stalls, its unlikely to be the clutch. It means the engine isn't getting the right mixture somehow to pick up the extra load at idle rpm.

Could be all sorts of things. If you have access to an OBD analyser check for codes.
Check the obvious ones, clean unobstructed air filter, plug gaps, all HT leads, distributor etc. etc

Jeroen
Old 30th April 2016, 15:24   #7423
BHPian

Guys,
I am getting a kat sound from the front right suspension of my car. When ever the car goes over a pothole it makes a kat sound, like something is loose. I have taken the car to my mechanic twice and he has opened the right side suspension completely and checked every part and didn't find anything wrong. Every time he has put everything back the noise has reduced to a great extent. It's like almost negligible. But it comes back after driving for few KMs. I have not taken it to Honda coz I am afraid they will change hell lot of stuff without finding the root cause. And my mechanic is very competent. He does engine and suspension of even Lauras. I am confused.
Old 30th April 2016, 16:28   #7424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Guys,
I am getting a kat sound from the front right suspension of my car. When ever the car goes over a pothole it makes a kat sound, like something is loose. I have taken the car to my mechanic twice and he has opened the right side suspension completely and checked every part and didn't find anything wrong.
Please get the strut mount/ bushes checked. This could be a possible reason for the noise apart from ball joints. Believe me, it is very difficult to simulate the suspension movement on a stationary car and hence the noise.

Difficult to pin point the issue without physical inspection but the possible reasons may range from bad rubber bushes of struts and even the anti-roll bar , mounts and giving up ball joints of arms.
I hope the above pointers leads you to the culprit.

Regards.
Old 30th April 2016, 16:53   #7425
Team-BHP Support

Very likely that the rubber components of the suspension have worn out and need replacement.

However, these days, if you are within a 100 metre radius of an authorized Honda dealer and they catch you talking about suspension issues, you will be asked to replace the entire setup for Rs. 45,000.

When I gave my Civic for 85000 km service, the advisor has mentioned in the bill that suspension was "week" and verbally told me that it needed replacement. Since my Civic was riding perfectly with no sounds, I took it my friendly wheel alignment guy and asked him to check out the suspension. It looked perfect.

I was told that service advisors (all car companies) have "revenue targets" to meet, and they get especially hyper when its month end. Is there any truth to this?

Last edited by SmartCat : 30th April 2016 at 17:00.

Most Viewed