Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2016, 22:10   #7471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Checked the PS fluid level. Its all fine. Wondering whats that oil / fluid that is depositing all over there.

Next step is to get the drive shaft boots checked.

Hello all,

Got the car inspected today. The guy told me that its infamous PS leak issue indeed. Plus the steering rack needs repair. They've quoted 14k excluding the pump which they say can only be advised upon once opened. Below is the quote I've got.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1463070974.110935.jpg

Please advise according to your experiences if the quoted cost is ok or should I look for someone else experienced/trusted/known to you guys in mumbai. (this quote is from a startup kind of new service called 'steero' in mumbai)

Please do advise.

Cheers,
Lokesh
Old 12th May 2016, 23:09   #7472
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Hello all,

Got the car inspected today. The guy told me that its infamous PS leak issue indeed. Plus the steering rack needs repair. They've quoted 14k excluding the pump which they say can only be advised upon once opened. Below is the quote I've got.

Attachment 1506555

Please advise according to your experiences if the quoted cost is ok or should I look for someone else experienced/trusted/known to you guys in mumbai. (this quote is from a startup kind of new service called 'steero' in mumbai)

Please do advise.

Cheers,
Lokesh
A ps overhaul outside Honda should be around 6k and i got the rack overhauled from Devabhai in jan for around 5 to 6k which also included alignnment.
Ps: The labour in attachment is at par with Honda it seems

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 12th May 2016 at 23:11.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 23:14   #7473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
A ps overhaul outside Honda should be around 6k and i got the rack overhauled from Devabhai in jan for around 5 to 6k which also included alignnment.
Ps: The labour in attachment is at par with Honda it seems

Thanks Sumeet. Are you happy with the work done by deva bhai...
Old 12th May 2016, 23:51   #7474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sumeet. Are you happy with the work done by deva bhai...
Yes i am. I went to him twice. First for rack repair and second for rear coil pads. Yes he made a small mistake of overfilling the ps resevoir which i believe was done by his attendants but he precisely removed the steering airbag to adjust same for adjustment during alignment. My rack has held well and i am not bothered about it. I hope i dont have to go to him but if i do face any issue he will be defintely the guy i will go to.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 12:40   #7475
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

Attachment 1506555

Please do advise.

Cheers,
Lokesh
Hey Lokesh,

As I said it looked like a PS leak. Now a PS leak doesn't necessarily mean it's the rack which is gone or it's the pump which is busted and you have to pay huge amount for repairs. I would recommend to consult a good FNG and ask him to check the PS system throughly. I had the same situation in my car. I checked with my mechanic and he was not able to identify where the leak is but assured me that it wasn't the rack. Next we put the car on jack to see where is the leak. Couldn't find the source. I came hope searched on our forum and got hold of common issues. Went back to the mechanic and asked him to check if the leak is at PS pipe or at the small aluminium pipes which are connected to the pump. We cleaned everything put the car on jack with engine on. Leave it for about an hour and we still didn't find the source. So the mechanic advised me to drive few days and come back. When I went next time he was able to identify the source as we had cleaned all joints and now it was clear the leak was at the pump. The small pipes connected to the pump. These have rubber rings inside. I left the car there. The mechanic changed the rings and returned the car in the evening. Total expense was 700 bucks which included everything. So my recommendation is get hold of a good mechanic and get it checked thoroughly. Specially the joints. I have driven my car 500 kms so far after the repairs and it seems to be holding up quite well now.

nIk

Last edited by nik0502 : 13th May 2016 at 12:43.
nik0502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 14:16   #7476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hey Lokesh,

As I said it looked like a PS leak. Now a PS leak doesn't necessarily mean it's the rack which is gone or it's the pump which is busted and you have to pay huge amount for repairs. I would recommend to consult a good FNG and ask him to check the PS system throughly. I had the same situation in my car. I checked with my mechanic and he was not able to identify where the leak is but assured me that it wasn't the rack. Next we put the car on jack to see where is the leak. Couldn't find the source. I came hope searched on our forum and got hold of common issues. Went back to the mechanic and asked him to check if the leak is at PS pipe or at the small aluminium pipes which are connected to the pump. We cleaned everything put the car on jack with engine on. Leave it for about an hour and we still didn't find the source. So the mechanic advised me to drive few days and come back. When I went next time he was able to identify the source as we had cleaned all joints and now it was clear the leak was at the pump. The small pipes connected to the pump. These have rubber rings inside. I left the car there. The mechanic changed the rings and returned the car in the evening. Total expense was 700 bucks which included everything. So my recommendation is get hold of a good mechanic and get it checked thoroughly. Specially the joints. I have driven my car 500 kms so far after the repairs and it seems to be holding up quite well now.

nIk
Thanks Nik. Quite useful information.

I took the car to an FNG known as Deva bhai in chembur, as suggested by Summet. He did the same exercise of removing the wheel, getting the car on a jack and running the engine. Apparently was able to find the leak source. he says that its not in pipes but in the pump itself - the sealings IIRC. He has also cleaned up all the pipes with a dry cloth and has asked me to return tomorrow. I am going to give the car back to him tomorrow morning. Estimated a total of INR2.5k for this. According to him the rack is fine. Let me see how it goes tomorrow. Will update once resolved.

Cheers!
1lokesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 15:21   #7477
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Nik. Quite useful information.

I took the car to an FNG known as Deva bhai in chembur, as suggested by Summet. He did the same exercise of removing the wheel, getting the car on a jack and running the engine. Apparently was able to find the leak source. he says that its not in pipes but in the pump itself - the sealings IIRC. He has also cleaned up all the pipes with a dry cloth and has asked me to return tomorrow. I am going to give the car back to him tomorrow morning. Estimated a total of INR2.5k for this. According to him the rack is fine. Let me see how it goes tomorrow. Will update once resolved.

Cheers!
If it's the seals on the pump it should not cost you more than 1 K. The seals don't cost more than 100 rupees. Add the PS oil and labour. Shouldn't be more than 1k.
nik0502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2016, 10:50   #7478

Hey guys, I'm on the lookout for a pre owned Civic. (2010 onwards model). And I need your help.

I've been reading this thread for quite sometime now. And I've a fair idea of the common problems in a Civic.

I've a dealer who has a 2011 VMT with 55k kms on the odo. He's quoting 5.5L. Is it a fair deal?

Given a choice, would you guys prefer a higher kms run later model or a lesser kms run earlier model, assuming they're both in similar condition?
Old 15th May 2016, 13:40   #7479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1989 View Post
Hey guys, I'm on the lookout for a pre owned Civic. (2010 onwards model). And I need your help.

I've been reading this thread for quite sometime now. And I've a fair idea of the common problems in a Civic.

I've a dealer who has a 2011 VMT with 55k kms on the odo. He's quoting 5.5L. Is it a fair deal?

Given a choice, would you guys prefer a higher kms run later model or a lesser kms run earlier model, assuming they're both in similar condition?
In either case, do your due diligence which includes checking maintenance records with HASS, firstly to see if the odo seems to have been tampered, whether it was regularly maintained, and what expenses you might have in the near future, e.g. battery, tyres, brake pads, engine mounts, power steering rack etc. Is the upcoming service a major service? If so, that cost should be factored in. The best way to do this is to have the car checked at HASS and ask all these questions. Let the owner know that he/she must be willing to go along with all this right at the start, otherwise you can't buy the car. Don't hesitate to walk away from a deal, if you don't have a good feeling about it.

My view is that Honda engines last very long 200,000 miles (not km), so 20,000km more at a lakh or so less is a deal I'd be willing to take, all else being the same. But that's my opinion and others will have their own.
Old 15th May 2016, 13:54   #7480

Thank you, coolvenk.

60% of the Civics I saw were odometer tampered. I had to call up HASS everytime to check its authenticity.

What are the major service intervals for Civic ? Stock tires are Bridgestone right ?

Major maintenance interval for Civic is around 50k kms I think.

Is it wise to buy the pre 2010 Civic and spend the amount saved on maintenance and upkeep ?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th May 2016 at 17:21. Reason: Merged posts.
Old 16th May 2016, 11:46   #7481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1989 View Post
Thank you, coolvenk.

60% of the Civics I saw were odometer tampered. I had to call up HASS everytime to check its authenticity.

What are the major service intervals for Civic ? Stock tires are Bridgestone right ?

Major maintenance interval for Civic is around 50k kms I think.

Is it wise to buy the pre 2010 Civic and spend the amount saved on maintenance and upkeep ?
I would suggest to buy facelifted one only if you have budget else buy a pre facelifted one and keep the rest of the amount for maintenance. Or look for a car which doesn't require any work for next few months. I got a facelifted Civic VAT. It had tyres replaced at Honda @ 38000kms major service done at 41000kms and I bought the car at 41800 kms. The car had insurance valid for 6 months. So I didn't have to spend anything on the car for 1st six months. The key is to have patience. It took me more than 3 months to find the right Car.
Old 16th May 2016, 22:34   #7482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@petroguzzler; I used Mobil1 once and then switched over to Idemitsu-Honda stuff. Saves a lot of ₹₹s as well. Remember Mobil1 is SAE40 while the Idemitsu is SAE30. The engine is quite happy with SAE30.
Can the SAE40 oil be used for the civic?

The owners manual only mentions the viscosity and that it should be above API SL.
Old 17th May 2016, 09:33   #7483
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Can the SAE40 oil be used for the civic?
Mobil1 is API-SN. So it 0W40 is definitely fine. only you fuel consumption may be higher by 2-5% with SAE40.
Old 17th May 2016, 12:48   #7484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
I got these for my civic. Cost me Rs.850 for the 4 doors and Rs.200 for the rear window.
Hi, could you please provide us with the details of the online/offline store where you picked up the sun shades.
Old 17th May 2016, 14:09   #7485
BHPian

Hi Arun , I got them here in Indore from my vendor ( distributor for Abro / Motomax) He is a wholesaler for these.

Most Viewed