Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2016, 13:09   #7531
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I suggest all car owners across all manufacturers, not only Honda, to check again and again in an interval of a few days or weeks for the airbag recall.

There are reports on the forum by people whose vehicles were not a part of recall earlier but later the status changed. This might apply to people who have got only one of the inflators changed. There might be an updation in the data base as I have a feeling that companies are recalling cars in batches, even if all are affected.

@Petroguzzler: The recall for Civic was as per the requirement. I suggest you not to worry too much over it, just check the status after a few days on the Honda website. FYI, Both inflators for my car were changed. I have put a report on the Honda airbags recall thread.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 13:11   #7532
BHPian

Quote:
Chennai is a pretty hot and humid city and as per international articles, the chemical in Takata's airbags (Ammonium nitrate) becomes unstable in these whether conditions.

And, the recall for civics are only for the driver side airbag inflator. Bhpians, please confirm?

I have a feel that the passenger side inflator would also require replacement and it was not replaced due to global supply demand issues.
Well, both my driver and passenger side inflators were replaced in the recall. For some folks, only the driver side inflators were recalled.

It is unclear why this was so, though. Perhaps you could ask HASS to physically check what brand of inflators are present in the passenger side. Non-Takata ones have no known issues. If it is Takata, I think it might be appropriate to write/tweet to Honda to ask if they can replace it.

Also, please check the recall page once again with your VIN number. I remember some BHPians, whose cars initially didn't seem part of the recall but did so a few days later.
coolvenk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 17:44   #7533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
Well, both my driver and passenger side inflators were replaced in the recall. For some folks, only the driver side inflators were recalled. It is unclear why this was so.
I think even with takata, the issue might have been related to certain batches of the product, hence the selective replacement.
Old 4th June 2016, 18:49   #7534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
I think even with takata, the issue might have been related to certain batches of the product, hence the selective replacement.
All batches of the Takata airbags would require replacement eventually. This is because they are till date being fitted without the material that removes moisture.
Old 4th June 2016, 19:06   #7535
BANNED

In the case of my Civic only one bag needed to be replaced. They had serials nos and an index what went where.
Old 5th June 2016, 07:44   #7536
Senior - BHPian

I recently noticed that there is some sort of water leakage coming from the bottom of my car,if the AC is switched on. I am not able to make out where it is coming from. It appears to be some where in the middle about couple of feet behind front wheels. Any idea what this could be? I am sure it is not any oil or fuel. Also it seems to stop when AC is switched off.
Old 5th June 2016, 07:59   #7537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I recently noticed that there is some sort of water leakage coming from the bottom of my car,if the AC is switched on. I am not able to make out where it is coming from. It appears to be some where in the middle about couple of feet behind front wheels. Any idea what this could be? I am sure it is not any oil or fuel. Also it seems to stop when AC is switched off.
Haha! Arre, no need to worry. It's just the air-conditioner water being let out; just the way it does in our home/office air-conditioners!
Old 5th June 2016, 09:33   #7538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
In the case of my Civic only one bag needed to be replaced. They had serials nos and an index what went where.
I feel that this might be due to a supply issue. Honda and Takata do not have enough supply to replace airbags on all cars. Hence they are replacing the batches which have the highest propensity to fail. But the truth is all Takata airbags have Ammonium nitrate which would become unstable because of the absence of the drying agent and would hence require another recall in future.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/featur...air-bag-crisis
Old 5th June 2016, 13:50   #7539
BHPian

Bhpians,

Is it safe to be driving around with Takata airbags, given that recalls are increasing by the day?

I'm planning to disable the airbags in my Civic, as going by reports, the presence of Takata airbags could prove more harmful than their absence.
Old 5th June 2016, 17:41   #7540
BHPian

First of all, chances are that the replacement airbag inflators aren't Takata. I know that my driver side and passenger side replacements are made by Autoliv and Daicel respectively, which have no known issues. Second, it is possible that your passenger airbag is not Takata to begin with. Thirdly, some European Takata airbags use a different compound, so it is possible your passenger side one has one of these. I would write to Honda and ask them for an explanation. Finally, if moolah isn't an issue, you could pay and get the inflators replaced from HASS now.

Also, fwiw, I don't think it is well established that the drying agent would help in the long run. Ammonium Nitrate itself seems to be the crux of the problem which is why other airbag manufacturers have stayed away from it.
Old 5th June 2016, 18:37   #7541
BANNED

I am letting the ghost rest. God willing we should be Ok. So the second airbag remains whatever it is.
Old 5th June 2016, 20:02   #7542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
First of all, chances are that the replacement airbag inflators aren't Takata. I know that my driver side and passenger side replacements are made by Autoliv and Daicel respectively, which have no known issues.
How to find out what inflators are inside?

According to some threads, the seat belt pre-tensioner's make corresponds to the airbag make. If that's the case both my seatbelts have the takata make.

Edit: would an OBD scan throw out the make of the airbag inflator?

Last edited by petroguzzler : 5th June 2016 at 20:05.
Old 5th June 2016, 21:49   #7543
Distinguished - BHPian

You may directly contact HASS for an explanation as why both airbags are not replaced. I think it will better satisfy your query. In worst case, if you are still not convinced, get a replacement done at your cost. Cost about 4-5 k for the inflator. But in my opinion that is going too far. Honda must have identified the defective batches and they are replacing the same proactively.
Old 5th June 2016, 23:56   #7544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
How to find out what inflators are inside?

According to some threads, the seat belt pre-tensioner's make corresponds to the airbag make. If that's the case both my seatbelts have the takata make.

Edit: would an OBD scan throw out the make of the airbag inflator?
If all else fails, you could physically open up the steering/dashboard housing to check the label on the inflator. This is fairly straightforward; I remember the HASS guys taking 5minutes each to open up the appropriate parts.

By the way, if you do decide not to use airbags any more, merely disabling it by disconnecting the wire may not suffice. I remember reading about an incident in the States where it spontaneously exploded and killed the occupant. I think you will have to physically remove the inflator and put it someplace away from humans.
Old 6th June 2016, 07:58   #7545
Senior - BHPian

The folks at HASS changed only the driver side inflator, they didn't change the other. When I enquired, they said they didn't have it in Stock. I plan to get it done in the next service due this month.

For now, I'm not that worried as I'm always alone when I drive my car. And it's held out for 9 years without any issue, so the inflators might even be fine. They're changing them as a precaution which is good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks