Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2016, 21:41   #7726
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Check the RPM once the engine settles to operating temperature. If it still remains high, may be a clogged air filter and a throttle body be the reason.
Even my Civic MT starts ~@1100 RPM but settles finally to 700-800.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 08:59   #7727
BANNED

Starting at a higher rpm and then settling down is the norm. I think the idle of the Maruti 800 engine is 900 rpm when warm. I remember when I got my first car with an ECU (earlier were all Carbs) the Hyundai Accent I used to be disturbed at a cold start until I realized what was going on. Also, a faster idle allows the motor to warm up faster, which results in less pollutants. If you think back in a carb you could part pull the choke to get a higher idle without a butterfly closure.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 16:22   #7728
BHPian

Any good aftermarket engine mount recommendation? How is VIR? they are oem suppliers of few cars like Scorpio.
Old 27th August 2016, 01:33   #7729
BHPian

Thanks all ! Fortunately, the issue seems to go away, once the engine is warm. Although, right after a cold start, it climbed up to 1800 rpm, while in motion. I'm still a bit uncomfortable with this. I did clean the air filter a couple of weeks ago.

I'll try to reset the ECU over the weekend to see if that changes this behavior and get back to you guys. Thanks again !
Old 28th August 2016, 07:27   #7730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
Thanks all ! Fortunately, the issue seems to go away, once the engine is warm. Although, right after a cold start, it climbed up to 1800 rpm, while in motion. I'm still a bit uncomfortable with this. I did clean the air filter a couple of weeks ago.

I'll try to reset the ECU over the weekend to see if that changes this behavior and get back to you guys. Thanks again !
This is normal. The rpm is higher on a cold start but it gets down to 700-800 when it gets warmer.
Old 28th August 2016, 08:23   #7731
BHPian

Quote:

1800 rpm is certainly not normal for any car to go to under any circumstances without manual input. Did you make sure all the surrounding pipes/sockets were refit properly when you did this cleaning recently? I'd suggest a recheck with the filter too.
Old 29th August 2016, 22:53   #7732
Senior - BHPian

1800 is high, but not all that uncommon. I've read people asking about it on other forums. As long as it's getting down to 7-800 rpm eventually, it's not worrisome.
Old 30th August 2016, 08:34   #7733
BHPian

Hi guys,
I've been facing a strange issue with my Civic of late. A few days back as i was driving to work i started experiencing severe wobbling. The steering was shaking from side to side and the whole car was shaking with the wobble. The strange thing is that it dissappeared after a while. It does not appear to be wheel balancing as i know what that feels like and this wobbling happens at various different speeds.

At first it happened when i was accelerating hard and then eased off when i dropped the rpm and shifted into 5th. However, the other day it started happening at speeds of 40 - 50 kmph ! I stopped the car by the side of the road and checked all the tyres and wheels and everything seemed ok. I started driving slowly after that and the wobble persisted all the way to work. Surprisingly, on the way back home the car was absolutely fine. I've yet to show it to the HASS. Has anyone ever experienced this before ? Any ideas anyone ?
Old 30th August 2016, 12:17   #7734
BHPian

Check your axle boot. The bearings inside might be the culprit. Had faced earlier on my V-tec.
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2016, 01:27   #7735
BHPian

Hi Guys

I got my Civic serviced last week. Honda did a horrible job. Apart from normal service i had few complaints. One was a rattling noise from the exhaust. 2nd was to replace the airbag inflator. 3rd was to replace mudflap and bonnet opening lever/knob. Apart from the service nothing was done on the car. The sa mentioned that they are changing the airbag inflator even when customers are not asking them to. But it wasn't changed on my car. For mudflap and bonnet lever issue parts were not in stock. Paid advance and was told the parts will arrive in 4 days and they will call back. It's been a week I haven't heard from them. For exhaust rattle issue when i asked SA paused for a while and then replied that since you have installed parking sensors from outside it is causing the problem. I asked him why the rattle has developed now when the parking sensors are on car for more than a year. He had no answer and said we have made the adjustments and if you still get the noise bring the car back. No prize fir guessing the noise was still there. Also the SA recommended front suspension overhaul since the car has done 50 kms however there is no noise from the suspension of the car. And also the SA asked me to collect the car at 7.30 in the evening. I asked if they would be open by that time. To which he replied since it's Saturday they stay till late. I got a call from SA to collect the car. Reached there at 7.34 however was told by sa over the phone that i need to come the next day since the cashier has left. I asked him why I was told to come by 7.30 to which he replied that he has mentioned 7pm in the job card and guess what. Indead he had mentioned 7pm in the job card however had asked me to come by 7.30. Pathetic customer service.

Last edited by nik0502 : 4th September 2016 at 01:42.
Old 4th September 2016, 08:21   #7736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Guys

I got my Civic serviced last week. Honda did a horrible job.

For exhaust rattle issue when i asked SA paused for a while and then replied that since you have installed parking sensors from outside it is causing the problem. I asked him why the rattle has developed now when the parking sensors are on car for more than a year.

I got a call from SA to collect the car. Reached there at 7.34 however was told by sa over the phone that i need to come the next day since the cashier has left. I asked him why I was told to come by 7.30 to which he replied that he has mentioned 7pm in the job card and guess what. Indead he had mentioned 7pm in the job card however had asked me to come by 7.30. Pathetic customer service.
From all I can read online especially on Tbhp, these service center guys up north are really a bunch of pathetic scroungers. I guess all work goes on strictly by way of greasing palms to setup a facility specially this side of India, just "all for the money."

Things start getting better as you go South. They're not particularly angelic, but much more credible and you can expect more proffessional quotient in their approach. Generally speaking.

In these scenarios, I think that while buying a car, customers should start looking for a good ASS before thinking of a car brand in the first place. By word of mouth or if you know someone personally there, etc. Because even if you procure the best machine and have to have nincompoops to handle service, you're heading nowhere, basically.

Why don't you go look for a more credible service facility?
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2016, 09:53   #7737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
From all I can read online especially on Tbhp, these service center guys up north are really a bunch of pathetic scroungers. I guess all work goes on strictly by way of greasing palms to setup a facility specially this side of India, just "all for the money."

Things start getting better as you go South. They're not particularly angelic, but much more credible and you can expect more proffessional quotient in their approach. Generally speaking.

In these scenarios, I think that while buying a car, customers should start looking for a good ASS before thinking of a car brand in the first place. By word of mouth or if you know someone personally there, etc. Because even if you procure the best machine and have to have nincompoops to handle service, you're heading nowhere, basically.

Why don't you go look for a more credible service facility?
I am not aware if the services of Honda are better / worse in North / South! However, from my Maruti and Honda experiences, I can say that it does largely depend on the particular dealer and not on the mother company.

For Honda in Pune and Mumbai, I had only good experiences over 10+ years with 2 cars.
For Maruti in Jalgaon and Pune, I had moderately bad to excellent services over 18+ years with 2 cars.

So, my suggestion is to search for a good service center and not to carry any bias about the original company - normally han!

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
Old 4th September 2016, 12:37   #7738
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys

I got my Civic serviced last week. Honda did a horrible job. ...<<snip>>... Pathetic customer service.
Which HASS is this, if I may ask? I have my own stories of bad customers service in Gurgaon.
Old 4th September 2016, 12:48   #7739
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all ! Fortunately, the issue seems to go away, once the engine is warm. Although, right after a cold start, it climbed up to 1800 rpm, while in motion.

I've observed this too! Strangely I've observed this on cold start but generally only in the evening, I.e when I get into the car to come back from work, but not in the morning when I start for work. Not sure why!

However within 5 seconds or so it settles down to < 1000 rpm ...
Old 4th September 2016, 13:22   #7740
BHPian

Quote:
Also the SA recommended front suspension overhaul since the car has done 50 kms however there is no noise from the suspension of the car
Mine has now done 1,54,000 kms and is 9 years 3 months old.
I have never needed any suspension job so far!

In fact apart from the routine services, there are no major complaints worth mentioning, so far.

I don't use my car much nowadays, but whenever I take it on 4-laned highways, it is still silky-smooth as it was when new!
manim is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks