Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2016, 10:01   #7831
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I am hearing a kat kat sound which seems close to the dashboard under the hood while driving. The sound comes more when driving at low speeds on a little uneven surface. On potholes it is inaudible but is more prominent on less than smooth roads. Could it be the strut mount or bearings?

The lower arms bushes have been cut as was reported back by HASS. Could this be due to CV joints? There is no clicking sound while lock to lock turning. Any pointers? I am due for a tire change but am holding off so that I can get the lower arms bushes fixed. Due to the ongoing cash crisis I have even put off the suspension work. I hope it won’t cause any long term damage.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 17:31   #7832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Could it be the strut mount or bearings ?
Most likely culprit. You could have it jacked up at a FNG and checked.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 16:16   #7833

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Thanks for the help. I'm trying to search under denso coils but not able to find it. Denso, I believe are the oem for civic coil. The series which I could see on website is showing as 673-2305 as the part number. Need to confirm from Honda service center.
The symptoms which you have mentioned is what exactly I'm facing sometimes, I suspected may be tuning our other issue related to Cng but my fitter after checking said that my ignition coil has gone little weak hence this issue.
Can you help me with the part number that you got for the ignition coil please.

Regards

Gary
Old 25th November 2016, 22:15   #7834
BHPian

Hi guys I have installed a OBD 2 device in my Honda civic 2007 AT.
Below is the screenshot of the captured parameters, I have one query, since the FE was 7.8 KMPL while the trip was 7.3 KMs so the fuel cost should be (considering input of fuel as 68.5 rs per litre): 64.1 rs. While in the analysis by the OBD it is showing as 86.32 rs.
What could be the reason?
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-screenshot_20161125185735.png
Old 26th November 2016, 16:12   #7835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am hearing a kat kat sound which seems close to the dashboard under the hood while driving. The sound comes more when driving at low speeds on a little uneven surface. On potholes it is inaudible but is more prominent on less than smooth roads. Could it be the strut mount or bearings?

The lower arms bushes have been cut as was reported back by HASS. Could this be due to CV joints? There is no clicking sound while lock to lock turning. Any pointers? I am due for a tire change but am holding off so that I can get the lower arms bushes fixed. Due to the ongoing cash crisis I have even put off the suspension work. I hope it won’t cause any long term damage.
Attaching last times HASS recommendations for suspension work. Could these be the source of the kat kat noise. The lower arm bushes do look cut but i am not sure about the ball joint. How does one determine the ball joints are shot?

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20161124_202858.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20161125_074402.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20161125_074443.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20161125_074524.jpg
Old 27th November 2016, 08:29   #7836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attaching last times HASS recommendations for suspension work. Could these be the source of the kat kat noise. The lower arm bushes do look cut but i am not sure about the ball joint. How does one determine the ball joints are shot?
I had the same issue. And although those bushes need replacement, that's not where the kat kat noise is coming from.

That's coming from the strut mounting, more specifically, the rubber bushes where the upper part of the strut is bolted to the chassis has worn off. When you open the bonnet, remove the cover on both sides and you'll be able to see the exact place where the struts are bolted to the frame. You'll notice that the rubber bits of the mount between the fixed frame portion and the strut is worn out. When you drive, at every rough patch or a speed breaker, there is a kat kat sound as the metal parts are now in direct contact with each other. I had an issue with only the left one but I replaced both sides.

If your struts are fine, you can just replace the kit. However, mine was rusted and while trying to unscrew the strut, the bolt broke off leading me to replace the entire strut. however the car had done 1.2 lakh kms already by then so no regrets. The suspension is back to normal now. No annoying sounds.

Last edited by coolkurt : 27th November 2016 at 08:32.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 12:17   #7837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I had the same issue. And although those bushes need replacement, that's not where the kat kat noise is coming from.

That's coming from the strut mounting, more specifically, the rubber bushes where the upper part of the strut is bolted to the chassis has worn off. When you open the bonnet, remove the cover on both sides and you'll be able to see the exact place where the struts are bolted to the frame. You'll notice that the rubber bits of the mount between the fixed frame portion and the strut is worn out. When you drive, at every rough patch or a speed breaker, there is a kat kat sound as the metal parts are now in direct contact with each other. I had an issue with only the left one but I replaced both sides.

If your struts are fine, you can just replace the kit. However, mine was rusted and while trying to unscrew the strut, the bolt broke off leading me to replace the entire strut. however the car had done 1.2 lakh kms already by then so no regrets. The suspension is back to normal now. No annoying sounds.
I am attaching pictures of the right side strut top portion. Can't make out any abnormalities, let me know if you see any. Also both the struts are fairly new (2 years 40k kms). So i don't think the entire strut is at fault but the mounts only.

I have carefully noted the kat/kad sound comes when driving over even smooth surfaces wherein i believe the joints/lower arm bushes may not be at work ie they may be remaining steady over smooth surfaces. The sound mostly disappears at higher speeds.

The strut still has the grease on it and i really cant't make out any gaps.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20161127_094153.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20161127_094203.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20161127_094213.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20161127_094235.jpg

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 27th November 2016 at 12:27.
Old 27th November 2016, 12:41   #7838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The area that is greased is not of concern if tightened properly. The reason of the sound is when the black disc part touches the fixed metal part - Notice the gap in between. Compare the sides. One side will have a larger gap and that's the side that'll be from where you get the sound. At slow speeds, you'll notice the sound. The sound vanishes at high speeds.
Old 27th November 2016, 21:53   #7839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The area that is greased is not of concern if tightened properly. The reason of the sound is when the black disc part touches the fixed metal part - Notice the gap in between. Compare the sides. One side will have a larger gap and that's the side that'll be from where you get the sound. At slow speeds, you'll notice the sound. The sound vanishes at high speeds.
Apart from the noise any long term damage if i let it be ?
Old 28th November 2016, 08:27   #7840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the noise any long term damage if i let it be ?
If you can put up with the noise, there's no immediate damage to be addressed. However, it's metal to metal contact after all so there's bound to be greater friction which could eventually lead to failure of the mount by adding pressure on the bolt that's holding it in place. This is hypothetical of course as most people won't wait for that to happen. Even I assumed I'll be able to live with the noise but it became so annoying that I got it replaced within a month.
Old 28th November 2016, 11:18   #7841
BHPian

Dear Members,

I am on the verge of getting a 2011 Honda Civic V-AT with sunroof which has done 30,000 kms.

I test drove the car and all looks fine. The car is in decent condition both externally and internally. However I will be getting it inspected at the Honda service centre before putting my money down.

In your eperiece how much should I pay for it and what all should I look out for?

Many thanks,
Enigmatic
Old 28th November 2016, 11:22   #7842
BHPian

How much does the petrol filter cost at HASS ? I gave me car for service and they said it's a 40K service and hence the petrol filter has to be changed. Rs.4,500 for the filter and Rs.2,000 as labour (just to replace the petrol filter , other labour charges at actuals) I have not got it changed as of now. Apart from this, apparently the lower resonator box is broken and they've quoted another Rs.1,100 and Rs.580 as labour for it. Are these prices and rates correct ? Would prices at Ghai be substantially cheaper ?
Old 28th November 2016, 12:19   #7843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you can put up with the noise, there's no immediate damage to be addressed. However, it's metal to metal contact after all so there's bound to be greater friction which could eventually lead to failure of the mount by adding pressure on the bolt that's holding it in place. This is hypothetical of course as most people won't wait for that to happen. Even I assumed I'll be able to live with the noise but it became so annoying that I got it replaced within a month.
Had called up Honda and they said they can only change the entire damper. A spares parts shop quoted RBI/NOK make for 1050 a piece, might go with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Dear Members,

I am on the verge of getting a 2011 Honda Civic V-AT with sunroof which has done 30,000 kms.

I test drove the car and all looks fine. The car is in decent condition both externally and internally. However I will be getting it inspected at the Honda service centre before putting my money down.

In your eperiece how much should I pay for it and what all should I look out for?

Many thanks,
Enigmatic
Check old service history, 2011 and only 30k kms sounds fishy. If genuine great else beware. Check for engine mounts, rack/steering pump leakage, ac cooling coil. These are signature problems for the Civic and can be expensive to fix at Honda. Rest like brakes etc are routine for any car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
How much does the petrol filter cost at HASS ? I gave me car for service and they said it's a 40K service and hence the petrol filter has to be changed. Rs.4,500 for the filter and Rs.2,000 as labour (just to replace the petrol filter , other labour charges at actuals) I have not got it changed as of now. Apart from this, apparently the lower resonator box is broken and they've quoted another Rs.1,100 and Rs.580 as labour for it. Are these prices and rates correct ? Would prices at Ghai be substantially cheaper ?
The price for the filter seems reasonable and is close to what i had spent in 2012 for the replacement at Honda.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 14:55   #7844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Checked my bill and the total was around 5.7k which included fuel filter for 4247 Rs. The labor quoted for you is definitely on the higher side. This was in 2012 though.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 16:15   #7845
BHPian

Quote:
Check old service history, 2011 and only 30k kms sounds fishy. If genuine great else beware. Check for engine mounts, rack/steering pump leakage, ac cooling coil. These are signature problems for the Civic and can be expensive to fix at Honda. Rest like brakes etc are routine for any car.
Thanks Sumeet for the prompt response.

The odometer reading seems genuine since the last service was done at Honda in June, 2015 at 21,000 kms. Also I will be sending the car over to the Honda authorised service centre for a detailed checkup before buying the car.

Also thanks for the pointers, I will specifically ask for these to be checked.

Best,
Enigmatic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks