Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2017, 19:29   #7936
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
Even I'm of a similar opinion, but after doing my bit of research, a 2008 model done around 50k is going for anywhere around 2.75-3.25 in delhi whereas I haven't come across a 2010 model for less than 4.00-4.25 anywhere. That's like 50% more than the pre 2009 models :( Any suggestions regarding the same? Can't I just get the older version in a well maintained condition and keep some buffer money for the car?
2.5 - 3.0 for a pre-facelift model is the market rate, yeah. Personally, I paid the premium for the facelifted version because (a) I expect to drive a lot with 4-5 folks on board, in which the suspension bottoming out would be a real killjoy (b) newer car = less maintenance budget needed. Not that the maintenance would be significantly higher with a 2 year difference, but peace of mind is also a factor. Depends on your preference of course, at the end of the day it's the same brilliant car. I am planning to add the coil spring adjusters as well to the rear suspension setup, maybe you can consider that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Maybe you can also plan to de-cat exhaust system. That would help to bring out hidden power of this car at low RPM. You will surely notice considerable improvement in city traffic drive-ability.
That's a good idea, techcoze. I will try to find out more information about this.
Old 25th January 2017, 01:57   #7937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritofmars View Post
THave been reading the coil spring adjusters thread (VFM fix for civic), have you tried those? Would like to know if you have and your experience over the long term.
I have the Autorunners installed from Automech. The rear became a bit more stiff. No long term damage was observed due to same. I have covered close to 40k kms on the Autorunner and there was no irregular tire wear etc.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 12:27   #7938
BHPian

After months of debating whether to go for a pre-worshiped or a new car, the heart finally won over the mind and came home a 2012 Honda Civic V-AT (with sunroof).

What follows is a lengthy prelude to the happenings of December 18, 2016 and some photos which I can't seem to rotate.

I wanted to get a car ever since I moved to Mumbai for my first job. I had a car in college and life without a car in Mumbai was just not "right". I wish I could pen it down in a more elaborate manner, but that just is it. Life without a car is not "right". Things don't add up and the gaping void is hard to live with.

Hence the search started and I soon zeroed down on a new Polo GT-Tsi. A test drive on the Bandra-Worli Sea Link was enough to convince me to put down the booking amount. Excited as I was, I decided to take another test drive a couple of days later and this is where the initial euphoria started to fade away. I loved the engine and the gearbox combo. I still love it. But everything else about the car was extremely average. What made matters worse was that VW was silently removing goodies from the Polo (If I remember correctly the soft padding on the side armrests had been removed recently). In essence I was coughing up north of 10 lakhs for a Polo and I was expecting more than just the engine and the gearbox. I may be nitpicking here, but as they say, everything happens for a reason.

So moving on from the VW showroom, I happened to land at the Skoda showroom (The VW and Skoda showrooms are literally adjacent to each other in Prabhadevi). I decided to give the Rapid a try and once again the DSG with the 1.5 diesel made a compelling case for itself. The only thing holding me back was my personal experience of the horrid Skoda after sales services. A couple of my colleagues have the Rapid and every second month there is something new which goes wrong with the car and somehow the car always comes back with more issues from the dealership. But then again, the discounts towards the end of 2016 were very tempting and worth the time.

This is when I decided to check out the used car market. For the same amount of money, I had a plethora of options to choose from. You name it and it is available. Some very tempting options as well. A BMW 525i was available for around 8 Lakhs. Fortunately sense prevailed and I reluctantly moved on to other less bankrupting cars.

This is when I decided to check out Civics. I have always loved the Civic. Even today it looks absolutely smashing, both inside and out. After searching for a bit, I glanced upon a single owner 2011 Civic V-AT with sunroof done 30,000 Kms. Was being sold by the owner for 5.3 lakhs. The asking price was good and I could easily negotiate the price down to below 5 lakhs. With a lot of excitement I decided to go and check out the car. However the excitement was short lived. The car was covered under a layer of dust. Upon inquiry got to know that the car has not moved for the past 3 months. And upon further inspection, lo and behold it is an accidental car. I was extremely saddened and disappointed. However, this incident soon became hilarious. I questioned the owner as to the nature of the accident and his words were "this is no accident, the car merely climbed over the divider". Merely climbed the divider!. That was it for me. Exchanged greetings and left.

As luck would have it, the very next day I came across an add on carwale for the Civic that I ended up buying. It was a bit creepy that this had also done 30,000 Kms and was in the same spec (V-AT with sunroof) as the aforementioned Civic. As intriguing as it was, I decided to take a closer look. The add was posted by a dealer and the asking price was 6.9 Lakhs. The original asking price was a bit high, but then again there is always room for negotiation.

I paid the dealer a visit and took a test drive of the car. It genuinely felt good. The interiors were well looked after, the exteriors were in very decent shape. No dents or scratches. The sunroof was working fine and the engine seemed healthy. This was it. Only deterrent was the asking price.

After a lot of negotiations, the dealer finally came down to 5.8 Lakhs. Was this too high? Certainly yes!. But I did not mind putting down the money if the car was approved by Honda.

So took the Civic to Arya Honda and got it examined. Got a go ahead by the dealership and the deal was done.

Have driven the Civic for over 1000 kms since I got her. She has been pampered a bit and the following items have been installed:

1. Head Unit - Pioneer 5890 BT;
2. Focal Component - ISS 165 in the front;
3. JBL Coaxial in the back - I am not aware of the model number;
4. JBL CSX-1400BP - 12 inch subwoofer in the boot; and
5. JBL GX-A646SI - 4 channel amplifier powering the components and the subwoofer.

Funny story about the audio installation. I have captured it in the Audio Installation thread, will cross-link it hear.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ml#post4120896

I also got 5000K 55W HID's fitted in the fogs and now plan to install projectors in the headlights. The search for a good installer in mumbai continues. Also got the engine oil changed to synthetic and topped up the coolant.

So in essence, the heart won over the brain. Was it a wise choice? Only time will tell.

In the interim, here are some photos (Apologies in advance, I am no photographer):

First look:
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1.jpg

Looked good all round:
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-2.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-3.jpg

Interior seemed to be in good condition:

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-4.jpg

The sunroof was a major attraction. And yes I do use it regularly.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-5.jpg

Being inspected at Honda:

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-6.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-7.jpg

It deserves to be pampered:

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_1031.jpg

A parting shot:

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-9.jpg

Best,
Enigmatic

Last edited by Aditya : 31st January 2017 at 10:46. Reason: Correcting image orientation
Enigmatic is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 10:47   #7939
BHPian

You can buy Honda parts over the counter, buy by signing a undertaking

Since quite some time I have been keeping followup with Honda India for explanation over unavailability of over the counter parts in India, finally the agreed that we can buy parts over the counter, but after signing a declaration. Refer following post for more details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4136269

I hope it helps you in case any parts are needed from Honda without installation.
techcoze is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 17:30   #7940
BHPian

Re: You can buy Honda parts over the counter, buy by signing a undertaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Since quite some time I have been keeping followup with Honda India for explanation over unavailability of over the counter parts in India, finally the agreed that we can buy parts over the counter, but after signing a declaration. Refer following post for more details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4136269

I hope it helps you in case any parts are needed from Honda without installation.
New thread for same has been started here- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-counter.html
techcoze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 15:16   #7941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
After months of debating whether to go for a pre-worshiped or a new car, the heart finally won over the mind and came home a 2012 Honda Civic V-AT (with sunroof)...
Congrats on the car Enigmatic the car looks fabulous and as good as a brand new Civic. Even though you may think you paid for more for it but if it's a genuine example with low mileage than i think it should be worth it.
Drive & treat her well and she will serve you for many years to come.
Old 6th February 2017, 10:58   #7942
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

@Enigmatic; Welcome to the AT owners club. I wonder whether you are aware that as per the US Honda site on the Highway the AT is marginally more economical than the MT! Yes, the gearing is taller, 50kph/1000 rpm. I have a mid 2010 Civic with only 22k on the clock. It is now with my son in Gurugaon in order to put in some mileage. I have his City AVN (ie Mk.III) MT with over 53,000 on the odo, in three years. When driving to Gurugram he commented on the silence and the smoothness of the car. The speed is just not felt. We use the Cruise Control on the YE since it is very easy to go over the top. As long as you do not 'invoke' the VTeC the car is quite economical in town as well.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 11:27   #7943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Congrats on the car Enigmatic the car looks fabulous and as good as a brand new Civic. Even though you may think you paid for more for it but if it's a genuine example with low mileage than i think it should be worth it.
Drive & treat her well and she will serve you for many years to come.
Many thanks Sumeet,

I have gathered a lot of information from your posts. All of which came in very handy while getting the Civic verified at Honda.

Since you too are in Mumbai, which service center do you recommend (Authorised and FNG)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Enigmatic; Welcome to the AT owners club. I wonder whether you are aware that as per the US Honda site on the Highway the AT is marginally more economical than the MT! Yes, the gearing is taller, 50kph/1000 rpm. I have a mid 2010 Civic with only 22k on the clock. It is now with my son in Gurugaon in order to put in some mileage. I have his City AVN (ie Mk.III) MT with over 53,000 on the odo, in three years. When driving to Gurugram he commented on the silence and the smoothness of the car. The speed is just not felt. We use the Cruise Control on the YE since it is very easy to go over the top. As long as you do not 'invoke' the VTeC the car is quite economical in town as well.
Many thanks Sgiitk,

You sir continue to impress me with all the information you share. I have been following your posts closely and you do know how to treat your cars. Hope both the Honda's serve you well.

What impresses me is that even after all these years of being launched in India, she still holds her ground. And for the idiotic smile I get every time I floor her, she does deserve all the pampering in the world.

Best,
Enigmatic.

Last edited by Enigmatic : 6th February 2017 at 11:51.
Old 6th February 2017, 13:06   #7944
BANNED

@Enigmatic; The weak point of the Civic has been the propensity for the suspension to bottom. I found that the Rubber spacers (see GTOs thread) work very nicely. I have them in the rear of my Civic. You may give this a crack.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 15:09   #7945
BHPian

Quote:
@Enigmatic; The weak point of the Civic has been the propensity for the suspension to bottom. I found that the Rubber spacers (see GTOs thread) work very nicely. I have them in the rear of my Civic. You may give this a crack.
Thanks Sgiitk,

I have read about the same and I intend to get it installed soon. However, I am yet to experience the bottoming out issue.

On another note, I had been reading on the 8th gen civic forum about resetting the ECU (The reversing sensors had stopped working after installing the ICE and resetting the ECU seemed to be a probable fix. It did fix it in my case.) and after doing the same I have partial access to the paddle shifters in D mode as well. However, unlike the S mode wherein you have manual control over the gearbox once the paddles are used (it won't upshift but will downshift if need be), in D mode I can only request an upshift/downshift and the selected gear is displayed on the dash. The car however maintains control over the gearbox and it may upshift or downshift as per the requirement. Using paddle shifters in D mode essentially helps in planning overtaking moves since I can negate the slight delay between pressing the accelerator pedal and the gearbox downshifting since I have already selected the required gear.

Best,
Enigmatic.

Last edited by Enigmatic : 6th February 2017 at 15:13.
Old 7th February 2017, 12:44   #7946
BANNED

Quote:
1. I have read about the same and I intend to get it installed soon. However, I am yet to experience the bottoming out issue.

2. On another note, I had been reading on the 8th gen civic forum about resetting the ECU (The reversing sensors had stopped working after installing the ICE and resetting the ECU seemed to be a probable fix. It did fix it in my case.) and after doing the same I have partial access to the paddle shifters in D mode as well.
1. Maybe you already have them. Take a 'dekko' under the car. You can see my owner's thread for pics.

2. Actually to use the AT under your control, what you need to use is the S mode and not the A mode. Then unless you select it '5' is disabled, and you have much more manual control.

I must say after goofing asround in the beginning I leave it in D. On the other hand if I do any hill driving then S will be the choice. One main reason will be engine braking. I may add that gradient control obviates need for this quite a bit. However, in prolonged downhill drives you can 'cook' your brakes.

Last edited by sgiitk : 7th February 2017 at 12:46.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 13:59   #7947
BHPian

Quote:
1. Maybe you already have them. Take a 'dekko' under the car. You can see my owner's thread for pics.

2. Actually to use the AT under your control, what you need to use is the S mode and not the A mode. Then unless you select it '5' is disabled, and you have much more manual control.

I must say after goofing asround in the beginning I leave it in D. On the other hand if I do any hill driving then S will be the choice. One main reason will be engine braking. I may add that gradient control obviates need for this quite a bit. However, in prolonged downhill drives you can 'cook' your brakes.
Thanks Sgiitk,

I did a 'dekko' and found no runners as the ones on your thread. Seems the previous owner didn't install them. I might go for it soon, but then again it is usually me in the car and hence I haven't felt the suspension bottoming out. Will fill it up with people soon and check if it bottoms out.

Yes sir, complete manual control is only available in S mode with the paddle shifters (albeit the gearbox will automatically downshift but won't upshift). However now post the ECU reset, I can dictate an upshift/downshift in D mode as well (although the gearbox continues to maintain automatic control and will upshift/downshift (if need be) unlike in S mode wherein it will only downshift on its own)

P.S. Since the temperature in Mumbai recently dropped, I was driving back home from work without the AC and I noticed that the radiator fan did not come on even once. I understand that there are two fans (one for the radiator and one for the condensor). Upon returning back home, I noticed that when I switch on the AC, both the condensor fan and the radiator fan come on however even after leaving the car on for a good 20 minutes (without the AC), the radiator fan did not come on. My temperature gauge however shows no abnormality and the temperature is one level below the medium mark (which I understand is the normal temperature for the engine). What could be the reason for the radiator fan not kicking in? It seems to work when I switch on the AC but not otherwise.

Best,
Enigmatic

Last edited by Enigmatic : 7th February 2017 at 14:01.
Old 8th February 2017, 22:22   #7948
BHPian

Clutch master and slave cylinder change

My clutch master cylinder was creaking since long time. So it's replacement was already on my radar for quite some time. Placed part order with Honda in December 2016, it took quite some time to get parts delivered. Meanwhile, in local parts store, saw Civic CMC of brand 'Sanyco', costing mere 1800/-, so thought of giving it a try to it till my Honda CMC gets delivered, since I was planning few long trips and I was not having full confidence on creaking old CMC. If by chance 'Sanyco' cmc turns out to be good, I was thinking of canceling OEM CMC installation plan.

Used Sanyco CMC for almost a month, was expecting clutch operation to become a bit smooth, but no effect. And this new aftermarket CMC also started creaking within a month.

So went ahead with original plan of installing OEM CMC at Honda. Changed both master and slave cylinders. There was not visible issue with slave cylinder, but since it's not much expensive part, thought of having peace of mind by changing both. A dead clutch cylinder can keep one stranded in the middle of the road, high risk factor for old civic like mine having 1.35 lakh km on ODO. Also had read on many forums that slave might go bad soon after master.

Post cylinders replacement, clutch operation has become silky smooth! So looks like slave cylinder was making clutch operations heavy, means it was wise decision to change both master and slave.
Total damage to pocket: 10.3k

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-clutch.png

I was late to pickup vehicle from HASS, in hurry did not check invoice carefully, but later while writing this post observed that they used 1 liter of brake oil. I don't think clutch system would need this much quantity, even after bleeding. Can fellow members confirm this? Last time I bleeded clutch oil at FNG, it consumed hardly 100-150ml of oil (if I remember correctly). Note that civic had aftermarket clutch oil before this service, Has old aftermarket oil flushing resulted in usage of 1L of new oil?

Last edited by techcoze : 8th February 2017 at 22:33.
Old 9th February 2017, 10:33   #7949
BHPian

Folks in Bangalore. Need some advice.

My Civic doorpad leather at driver door has a tear on arm-rest. Would you know any place in Bangalore which can remover and replace the leather?

Any recommendations welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 12th February 2017, 18:28   #7950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since you too are in Mumbai, which service center do you recommend (Authorised and FNG)
I get the car serviced from Linkway Honda Chandivali and that too strictly from my advisor only (Senthil). I always make sure he is there then only go for the service. He is a pretty decent guy (Initially Ganesh Ghanekar used to be one whom i would go to but he moved to another role at Linkway and recommended Senthil). If you go there ask them to give your car to Senthil only. Find out in advance if he is available you can give him my name if needed.

For all garage needs I goto Deva bhai at Chembur. You can look up in the Team BHP dictionary. Whenever you give your car for service at Honda, if they come up with some high estimate for something always take a second opinion. There is no need to panic anytime. Certain parts are expensive eg brake pads. Branded aftermarket parts is the way to go.

Quote:
P.S. Since the temperature in Mumbai recently dropped, I was driving back home from work without the AC and I noticed that the radiator fan did not come on even once. I understand that there are two fans (one for the radiator and one for the condensor). Upon returning back home, I noticed that when I switch on the AC, both the condensor fan and the radiator fan come on however even after leaving the car on for a good 20 minutes (without the AC), the radiator fan did not come on. My temperature gauge however shows no abnormality and the temperature is one level below the medium mark (which I understand is the normal temperature for the engine). What could be the reason for the radiator fan not kicking in? It seems to work when I switch on the AC but not otherwise.
The radiator fan will come on and off as temp needs to be regulated. I don't think it will stay on continously. The a/c fan i think should remain on once the a/c is engaged. As long as there is enough cooolant in the radiator and the temp marks remains 1 dot less than half you should be fine.

Most Viewed