Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2017, 11:03   #7951
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Folks in Bangalore. Need some advice.

My Civic doorpad leather at driver door has a tear on arm-rest. Would you know any place in Bangalore which can remover and replace the leather?

Any recommendations welcome. Thanks in advance.
Try epona - The contact person is Harish. He's based in Jayanagar. 98453-20000. http://eponalifestyle.com/
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 11:34   #7952
BHPian

This may be slightly off topic. But, I was thinking that we should do a Civic meet sometime. We can start with Mumbai, and maybe sometime have a Mumbai-Pune one somewhere midway(read Lonavala) too.
This is a pretty active community, with a decent number of folks to start a club with. I tried to find a thread about the same too, but in vain.

Who's in for this?
Old 13th February 2017, 13:13   #7953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I get the car serviced from Linkway Honda Chandivali and that too strictly from my advisor only (Senthil).

As long as there is enough cooolant in the radiator and the temp marks remains 1 dot less than half you should be fine.
Thanks Sumeet.

I got the car serviced at Arya Honda Sewri over the weekend and had a pleasant time interacting with my SA (Vikas Mishra).

Regarding the radiator fan, my doubt was misplaced and every thing seems to be in order. The technician started the car and held the revs at about 3K RPM and both the radiator and the condenser fan came on. This was quite a relief

Also for my peace of mind bought the extended warranty cover from Honda for about 14K. Although on the higher side, it covers the essential components (I'll post a detailed breakup of what all is and isn't covered if required).

Best,
Enigmatic

Last edited by Enigmatic : 13th February 2017 at 13:15.
Old 15th February 2017, 11:29   #7954

I broke my resonator on my 2010 Honda Civic. I took it to IGNITE the garage and my friend there advised me that Resonator is not going to make any big difference to the air intake. We just removed the tubing to it and removed the box out. The logic is that the intake will be more free and helps in better performance. There are K&N filter with short RAM which work on the same concept. I just wanted a budget solution. Installing a new is not expensive but I am just wanting to observe the car's performance for sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Resonator it is.
It doesn't kill your car if its not attended for a short time.
========
Else use this occasion to change over to K&N conical filters if you like . For that anyway the current filter box, this pipe and resonator would have been removed

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th February 2017 at 11:54. Reason: Fixing Quotes.
Old 15th February 2017, 23:00   #7955
BHPian

My 2007 civic AC cooling effectiveness is considerably degraded. AC gas is not low. Which means most likely culprit is dirty evaporator coil.

Initially I thought of DIY by removing blower assembly, by looks like AC system and gas needs to be opened up in order to get evaporator access. Is there any way to clean evaporator without releasing gas in it? Have anyone done this exercise?
Old 15th February 2017, 23:27   #7956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
My 2007 civic AC cooling effectiveness is considerably degraded. AC gas is not low. Which means most likely culprit is dirty evaporator coil.

Initially I thought of DIY by removing blower assembly, by looks like AC system and gas needs to be opened up in order to get evaporator access. Is there any way to clean evaporator without releasing gas in it? Have anyone done this exercise?
Hi techcoze,

Yes it is possible to clean evaporator without losing the gas. You will have to remove the glove box lid and other fittings around it. After that you can reach the evaporator. My ac guys keeps a small bucket beneath it and sprays water from a pipe on it. That cleans it completely.
Old 16th February 2017, 09:27   #7957
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

@techcoze; Could be a choked condenser as well. However, in such a case you normally have an overheating issue as well. I faced this in my Zen once. Very poor cooling, and overheating. Turned out that the condenser was caked with dung + mud. A hose-down cleared both.
Old 16th February 2017, 10:24   #7958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi techcoze,

Yes it is possible to clean evaporator without losing the gas. You will have to remove the glove box lid and other fittings around it. After that you can reach the evaporator. My ac guys keeps a small bucket beneath it and sprays water
from a pipe on it. That cleans it completely.
Hi Nik,

Was this done on your Civic or some other car? Just for confirmation.
Old 16th February 2017, 21:57   #7959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Hi Nik,

Was this done on your Civic or some other car? Just for confirmation.
Hey buddy,

It was done on my car. There was lot of dirt and some bird wings stuck on the evaporator. The performance of AC was increased substantially after this excercise.
Old 17th February 2017, 00:42   #7960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Remember after market are not necessarily sub-standard. Technically Bilstein or Koni are also after market. In case of vehicles with a very high indigenisation it is often a matter of identifying the OE manufacturer.

Most firms have two or three OEMs and these chaps often sell it in the open market under their own label.
Does anyone know who are the OE suppliers for Engine Mounts? Been through all the mount related posts and it seems only one person had some success with aftermarket ones from Ghai in Delhi. Am due for an engine mount replacement but really not keen to dish out 9k for it.
Old 17th February 2017, 09:42   #7961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
Does anyone know who are the OE suppliers for Engine Mounts? Been through all the mount related posts and it seems only one person had some success with aftermarket ones from Ghai in Delhi. Am due for an engine mount replacement but really not keen to dish out 9k for it.
It's pretty hard to find the source the OE supplier for engine mounts. You will have to check at karol bagh or Rahul Motors at palika bhawan.

As I've posted before, I've installed aftermarket ones bought from Ghai for 1900 bucks. This is my second aftermarket mount from Ghai. The first lasted for 46000 kms. This new one has already seen 12k kms. So I'm pretty happy with the current arrangement.
Old 17th February 2017, 11:22   #7962
BHPian

Thanks Coolkurt. I'm in Mumbai now but may move to Delhi in a bit. A repeat positive experience is encouraging and for less than 2k totally worth it.
The price difference in OE & the Ghai mounts is staggering. Do the Ghai ones have any branding on them?
I see a lot of NOK (Thailand) ones around in Mumbai for about 2800 but not sure about quality.
Old 17th February 2017, 14:32   #7963
BHPian

Members,

I am facing a rather peculiar issue and not at the best of times.

Ever since I had System-G put in the fuel tank (February 5), I was experiencing some vibrations on a cold start. The vibrations would last for about 5-10 seconds and then go away once the engine heated up a bit. The drive after this is perfectly normal and I attributed this vibration to a combination of System-G and a cold engine and I thought that these vibrations would go away once I get the car refueled. I also have my suspicions on the quantity of System-G put in the car. I believe the attendant had put in 10-20ml more than what is required.

However, even after refueling on February 12, the vibrations continued on a cold start. I have gone through roughly half a tank since February 12.

In the interim, I got the car serviced at Arya Honda on February 11 which included a throttle body cleaning as well.

The discomforting incident happened today. While leaving for office, the vibrations again came along, however since I was in a hurry, I put the car in D and drove ahead. Upon driving, I noticed the check engine light flashing and no real acceleration happening.

I immediately stopped and switched off the car. Upon restarting everything seems to be back to normal. No check engine light as well. Since everything appeared normal, I drove to office (About 10 Kms) and noticed no issues with how the car was responding.

I am not sure what has happened here. This comes at a bad time because I had a 500Km drive planned this weekend.

Appreciate your help.

Best,
Enigmatic

Last edited by Enigmatic : 17th February 2017 at 14:34.
Old 17th February 2017, 15:05   #7964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
I noticed the check engine light flashing and no real acceleration happening.
Possible to quickly check OBD error code (if you have OBD dongle available), it will give some pointer I feel.
techcoze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 15:09   #7965
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

@Enigmatic; Very emasculated performance on a warning is quite normal. It is a 'get you home' system coming in.

I suspect it is just 'one of these things'. An intermittent problem is the toughest to diagnose and cure. Maybe you can get the system checked out. What you describe could be a sensor about to fail.

Your vibration problem, seems to be mount related'. every engine is rougher before it warms up.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed