Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2017, 14:46   #8206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_kaushal View Post
Hi Ashish,

If you visit Gurgaon, I can suggest a few .

Regards
Kunal
Thanks Kunal. That would be of great help as I do travel to Gurugram once a week.

The reason why I am asking for help from my fellow BHPians is because I only trust HCIL as a company or you guys.

Moreover, Delhi/NCR auto market is full of untrained mechanics with whom I had a bad experience of getting my 2004 Zen Vxi serviced.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 20:58   #8207
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Thanks Kunal. That would be of great help as I do travel to Gurugram once a week.

The reason why I am asking for help from my fellow BHPians is because I only trust HCIL as a company or you guys.

Moreover, Delhi/NCR auto market is full of untrained mechanics with whom I had a bad experience of getting my 2004 Zen Vxi serviced.
Hi Ashish,

Come on mate, there is absolutely no need to thank me, infact it would be my pleasure, if I would be able to help you .

I have pmed you my number. Next time when you are in Gurgaon, please ring me up.

Regards
Kunal

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 17th April 2017 at 21:19.
kunal_kaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 08:47   #8208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Can you please share his name and number?

I would get both the ignition lock and boot lock checked by him.

Yesterday, I took the car for a 150-200 Kms drive to Amrik Sukhdev Dhaba in Murthal (NH2).

Though the key didn't fell out of the lock or was very loose. Still on safety grounds, I would get it inspected.
He sits in the Alaknanda Market. Contact details:

Abbas - 9810685226

Tell him you got his reference from E block - GK2. I've seen him sort out quite a few problems in this neighborhood.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 09:29   #8209
BHPian

In my 2007 Civic SAT, the boot lock is not opening with the key and the only way I can open it is by using the lever next to the driver seat. Any inputs on whether it is possible to repair the boot lock?
Old 18th April 2017, 11:34   #8210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
In my 2007 Civic SAT, the boot lock is not opening with the key and the only way I can open it is by using the lever next to the driver seat. Any inputs on whether it is possible to repair the boot lock?
Hi Mate,

Yep, very likely it can be repaired, I suggest please visit a reputable automobile locksmith in your locality, he will be able to sort it with ease.

Regards
Kunal

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 18th April 2017 at 11:43.
Old 18th April 2017, 20:03   #8211
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Mate,

Yep, very likely it can be repaired, I suggest please visit a reputable automobile locksmith in your locality, he will be able to sort it with ease.

Regards
Kunal
Thanks Kunal, will explore for a suitable locksmith close to my place In Hyderabad.
civic-dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 08:29   #8212
BHPian

I have a query about interior lights. If someone leave cabin light on (not door-auto-off mode) will it automatically turn off after I lock the car? Or will it stay on forever draining battery completely ?
Old 19th April 2017, 08:57   #8213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
I have a query about interior lights. If someone leave cabin light on (not door-auto-off mode) will it automatically turn off after I lock the car? Or will it stay on forever draining battery completely ?
IMHO, It will stay on and would eventually drain the battery.

Regards
Kunal
Old 19th April 2017, 16:22   #8214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearce634 View Post
Hello all,

1. As for the elephant in the room; the Power Steering issue (Steering had been growing progressively tougher over the past few months), I'd concluded there must be a leak in the power steering somewhere as the fluid level had been trickling down constantly.
I visited HASS and asked them to take a look at the car to corroborate this, and they agreed, saying there was a leak in the steering system. More specifically, there was a "leakage in the power steering rack pinion seal".
Their suggestion? Change the whole unit as they were devoid of any child parts--and the cost would amount to 1.2 lacs to effectively replace the entire steering assembly.
I'd heard before that "seal leakages" could be fixed relatively easily; and I'm looking for a proficient indie mechanic to get the job done properly.
Can anyone clarify what Honda meant by "power steering rack pinion seal leakage" and direct me to a good mechanic who can rectify the issue without leaving a crater in my bank account?

Thanks!
Hi,
I also had my power steering fluid level slowly come down. If there is oil in the steering rack boots, then the seal there is leaking. It was happening in mine. I bought a product on amazon called No Leak power steering stop leak.

Flush out the required quantity of oil from the power steering and pout in the bottle.

After around 500 kms of driving, leak should stop. There is no guarantee, if the leak is big due to seal damage.

It worked for me. You don't need to replace the power steering fluid later, as this stop leak itself is a power steering fluid.

Hope this helps. If it does not, then replacing the seal from an FNG is another option. It takes a lot of labor as the steering rack will need to be taken to a lathe machine for seal to be removed and re-fitted. But can be done relatively cheaply.

Check the steering rack boots to see if oil is accumulated there. A good mechanic can help you do it.

Rgds
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 16:31   #8215
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Was driving from Lucknow to Delhi on the new Lucknow Agra expressway at high speed. 40 kms before agra, in the afternoon at 42 Degrees, the ac stopped working.

Since there was no clicking sound when the AC compressor cycles on/off, i guessed it must be the relay or the clutch coil (magnet).

Located an AC mechanic shop in Agra, called Hindustan AC works. The guys worked from 6 PM to 10 PM to remove the compressor, open it, and replace the clutch coil and refit.
It worked perfectly.

The HASS would have replaced the compressor and charged atleast 30-40K.

These guys charged me 950 for the magnetic coil, plus 1500 for labor, including complete new gas and compressor oil.

4 guys worked non stop to get it done, as removing the compressor, without a post lift, getting under the car is a tough job.

Hats off to these roadside shops. Many of them are really knowledgeable guys who know their job and are honest.

I drove again at speed on the Yamuna expressway back to delhi with no problems. Because of new compressor oil probably, compressor seems much smoother now. Or maybe its my imagination.

Rgds

If you need recommendation for an FNG in Gurgaon, please let me know.
Old 19th April 2017, 16:33   #8216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Do you have a heavy key chain or carry a bunch of keys along with your car key ? As Kunal mentioned try with your spare key when the car is strictly stationary. When you have a heavy key chain I believe this accelerates wear as the key chain keeps tugging the inserted key as the car moves around biting into the key levers etc. This was once told to me by a mechanic.
Correct. Keep your car keys as light as possible. No heavy key chain or other heavy keys along with it.

rgds
Old 19th April 2017, 16:51   #8217
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO, It will stay on and would eventually drain the battery.

Regards
Kunal
You are right, tested it today by leaving cabin light on, it stayed on. I was looking for power source for my dashcam which will remain on for few minutes after locking car. Looks like I am out of luck for this in my civic. Is there any other power source, that can be tapped for my dashcam, which will remain on for few minutes after removing key / locking car?
Old 19th April 2017, 17:08   #8218
BHPian

Quote:
You are right, tested it today by leaving cabin light on, it stayed on. I was looking for power source for my dashcam which will remain on for few minutes after locking car. Looks like I am out of luck for this in my civic. Is there any other power source, that can be tapped for my dashcam, which will remain on for few minutes after removing key / locking car?
Hi Mate,

kindly go through http://www.edaboard.com/thread333099.html , it might be some help to you.

Regards
Kunal

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 19th April 2017 at 17:10.
Old 19th April 2017, 18:45   #8219
BHPian

Quote:
As Kunal already mentioned, front map lamps and reading lamps for rear passengers (excluding the centre lamp with door-auto-off mode) stay on even after the car is locked and would thus eventually drain the battery.

This feature of automatically turning off the lights is also not available in my Swift VXi but is available in Elite i20 and is known as Battery Saver.
Old 19th April 2017, 18:49   #8220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I'd gotten this repainted. The cost of repainting would be around Rs 250-300 each.
Thanks Coolkurt for the suggestion.

Took it off myself today and got it repainted at Noida Sector 16. Costed me Rs. 200 but it's looking much better than before as it was an eyesore every time I took my Civic on a drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1492607694274.jpg  

Most Viewed