Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2017, 13:02   #8236
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_kaushal View Post
Hi All, HASS has struck again, I am guessing that one of their able staffer had removed the dust caps of my aftermarket projector headlamps which resulted in thick layer of dust getting accumulated all over the projector and reflectors of the headlamps, thus ruining the headlamps altogether (they now have non existent throw), I have reverted back to stock setup till the time I sort the after market ones.
Update Sorted the after market headlights yesterday . They are looking way better, compared to the sorry state these were in, prior to the rec-conditioning process, though I need to get them installed.

Regards
Kunal
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-aftermarket-headlights-sorted-.jpg  

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 26th April 2017 at 13:11.
Old 29th April 2017, 16:14   #8237
BHPian

Guys need an urgent help, I will be driving down to Kolkata from Delhi on Monday, but there is an issue with air conditioning (the car was standing for a while - might be a rat issue), the power to compressor is not reaching although while connecting to battery directly the compressor is working, seems like some wire is cut, now the issue is which wire, I have taken the car to world of service in nodia sector 63 for resolution. Any further help will be utmost welcome

Last edited by StallionAmit : 29th April 2017 at 16:17. Reason: Correction in statement
Old 29th April 2017, 18:17   #8238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionAmit View Post
Guys need an urgent help, I will be driving down to Kolkata from Delhi on Monday, but there is an issue with air conditioning (the car was standing for a while - might be a rat issue), the power to compressor is not reaching although while connecting to battery directly the compressor is working, seems like some wire is cut, now the issue is which wire, I have taken the car to world of service in nodia sector 63 for resolution. Any further help will be utmost welcome
Driving from Delhi in peak summer without AC will be tough!

Check fuse. A system with a blown fuse can behave like it.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 20:03   #8239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kindly check the ac relay and see.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 21:21   #8240
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Mate,

Can I ask how old is your car ? The reason I am asking this question is because if you have 2006/07/08 or even 2009, there are chances the plastic of the wire connectors would have got brittle and tends to disintegrate, along with it the contacts develop carbon.

I would suggest that kindly check the connectors also.

Regards
Kunal
Old 29th April 2017, 22:36   #8241
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Mate,

Can I ask how old is your car ? The reason I am asking this question is because if you have 2006/07/08 or even 2009
Yes i have a 2007 AT Civic. Currently the connections are being tested.

Last edited by GTO : 1st May 2017 at 08:20. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 29th April 2017, 23:59   #8242
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Mate,

Can I ask how old is your car ? The reason I am asking this question is because if you have 2006/07/08 or even 2009, there are chances the plastic of the wire connectors would have gone brittle and most probably will be about to undergo disintegration process, also the contacts might have develop carbon thus resulting in no power to compressor.
========
Yes i have a 2007 AT Civic. Currently the connections are being tested.
Hi Mate,

Will post a snap of the connector that suffered the same fate in my case and it was the cause of a/c compressor not getting power.

P.S. I have made some changes in my reply which is quoted here.

Regards
Kunal

Last edited by GTO : 1st May 2017 at 08:20. Reason: Removing naked quote tag
Old 30th April 2017, 07:13   #8243
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Mate,

Will post a snap of the connector that suffered the same fate in my case and it was the cause of a/c compressor not getting power.

P.S. I have made some changes in my reply which is quoted here.

Regards
Kunal
Hi Mate

There was a connector on the wire (kindly refer to the vague red arrow) whose plastic casing got brittle, and I am presuming that due to it, water seeped in between the contacts, resulting in oxidisation of contacts which in turn resisted the flow of current to the compressor.

For the time being, my A.C. guy has joined the wires, till I or he is able to procure the required connector.

Regards
Kunal
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20170430_065932.jpg  

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 30th April 2017 at 07:31.
kunal_kaushal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 08:51   #8244
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Mate

There was a connector on the wire (kindly refer to the vague red arrow) whose plastic casing got brittle, and I am presuming that due to it, water seeped in between the contacts, resulting in oxidisation of contacts which in turn resisted the flow of current to the compressor.

For the time being, my A.C. guy has joined the wires, till I or he is able to procure the required connector.

Regards
Kunal
------------------------
Thanks Kunal, the Civic is in World of Service (Noida Sector 63, FNG), going straight-away as soon as it opens to see the progress, had to leave the car yesterday, lets hope it got sorted out today, as I drive down to Kolkata tomorrow from Delhi. Fingers crossed.
StallionAmit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 10:56   #8245
BHPian

Hi guys the issue is resolved there was a cut wire under dashboard which led to compressor not getting power, it is resolved now.
Guys i have another doubt last 15k kilometres I am using shell helix ultra 5w40 in my 2007 AT civic and I believe that the FE my car is giving is not as high as I used to get earlier, while earlier I was getting 15 to 16 kmpl on highways now i am getting 9 to 10 kmpl max, I had already checked the spark plugs and got the throttle body cleaned, so pls suggest what could be the issue, shall I revert back to Idemitsu oil? Thanks the civic has done close to 82k kilometres.
Thanks
Amit
StallionAmit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 11:03   #8246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I believe that the FE my car is giving is not as high as I used to get earlier, while earlier I was getting 15 to 16 kmpl on highways now i am getting 9 to 10 kmpl max
Such a steep drop in FE will have very little to do with the oil. I use SHU in my car (albeit a Toyota) for nearly 8 years and the FE has been more or less constant.

There will be other reasons that can affect FE. For starters check the air cleaner and oxygen sensor. Do you have the yellow check engine light on? Tyre pressure? Are the brakes binding?.

Last edited by R2D2 : 30th April 2017 at 11:05. Reason: typo
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 16:07   #8247
BHPian

R
Quote:
Hi guys the issue is resolved there was a cut wire under dashboard which led to compressor not getting power, it is resolved now.
Guys i have another doubt last 15k kilometres I am using shell helix ultra 5w40 in my 2007 AT civic and I believe that the FE my car is giving is not as high as I used to get earlier, while earlier I was getting 15 to 16 kmpl on highways now i am getting 9 to 10 kmpl max, I had already checked the spark plugs and got the throttle body cleaned, so pls suggest what could be the issue, shall I revert back to Idemitsu oil? Thanks the civic has done close to 82k kilometres.
Thanks
Amit
That is a substantial drop in the FE.

Is there any drop in the engine oil level or lack in engine response/performance?

As already quoted by R2D2, get these basic items checked along with Compression check of all 4 cylinders as well.

This actually gives a fairly good idea of the condition of the piston rings and block.

Hence you can cross out any remote possibility of compression leakage or change in engine performance due to new engine oil.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:53   #8248
Senior - BHPian

The airconditioner in my Civic cools perfectly well in this hot Delhi summer but there's a minor issue that I've noticed. Every time the compressor kicks in, I can hear a hissing sound..sounds like the refrigerant or something.. It never used to make such a noise before. it's been 4-5 months. What could be the issue?
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:15   #8249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Every time the compressor kicks in, I can hear a hissing sound..sounds like the refrigerant or something..
If the sound is coming from under the dash, then it's the refrigerant. Sometimes the Expansion Valve makes the sound when refrigerant tends to be lesser. That's not an issue really and you should be able to get rid of it by a top-up.

The other place it can originate is from the compressor itself. If that's the case, you've got heavy expenses coming your way. But mostly bad compressors don't hiss. They have a grating kind of sound which can be quite jarring at times. Replacement is a must then. This sound can be diagnosed by popping the hood and checking out at the compressor area itself.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 13:48   #8250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
If the sound is coming from under the dash, then it's the refrigerant. Sometimes the Expansion Valve makes the sound when refrigerant tends to be lesser. That's not an issue really and you should be able to get rid of it by a top-up.

The other place it can originate is from the compressor its3elf. If that's the case, you've got heavy expenses coming your way. But mostly bad compressors don't hiss. They have a grating kind of sound which can be quite jarring at times. Replacement is a must then. This sound can be diagnosed by popping the hood and checking out at the compressor area itself.
In my car, this kind of hissing sound is only audible when standing near to the condenser that too when the AC is switched off after operation.

The air conditioner is working flawlessly as it chills the cabin within minutes even when it is set to 25 celcius.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks