Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2017, 14:20   #8251
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
If the sound is coming from under the dash, then it's the refrigerant. Sometimes the Expansion Valve makes the sound when refrigerant tends to be lesser. That's not an issue really and you should be able to get rid of it by a top-up.

It's coming from under the dash. And I guess I'm running low on refrigerant. Because in the past week, twice the compressor didn't kick in. Even now I faced the same issue. Ran a quick AC diagnostic check and the temperature of the coil isn't going below 18 degrees. I'm sitting in the car, with the temperature set at 21 degrees and I'm barely getting wafts of semi cool air from the blowers.
I guess I'll have to get a top up done.

The funny bit is i got the coil changed two years back with a gas refill. So I wonder what happened that I'm running low within 2 years
Old 2nd May 2017, 14:54   #8252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
It's coming from under the dash. And I guess I'm running low on refrigerant. Because in the past week, twice the compressor didn't kick in. Even now I faced the same issue. Ran a quick AC diagnostic check and the temperature of the coil isn't going below 18 degrees. I'm sitting in the car, with the temperature set at 21 degrees and I'm barely getting wafts of semi cool air from the blowers.
I guess I'll have to get a top up done.

The funny bit is i got the coil changed two years back with a gas refill. So I wonder what happened that I'm running low within 2 years
Hi Mate, the coil might have developed a leak again , as I was having the same issues prior to getting the coil replaced.

Regards
Kunal
Old 2nd May 2017, 14:56   #8253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_kaushal View Post
Hi Mate, the coil might have developed a leak again , as I was having the same issues prior to getting the coil replaced.

Regards
Kunal
It's a brand new coil. Shouldn't be the case.
Old 2nd May 2017, 14:59   #8254
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, then another possibility is that one of of the a/c pipes have developed cracks/leaks due to which the refrigerant is escaping out of the system.

Regards
Kunal
Old 2nd May 2017, 21:24   #8255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Here is how the Honda Civic fared in it's first run (nearly 7 years) in the Indian market:

Attachment 1635316

Auto Punditz
Seems there were only 54K~ sold in the country. I thought it would be close to a lakh. I guess not many people have one in that respect. Many of these cars might have been totaled as i have seen several on CST kurla road in bad condition. It's a surprise that spares still fairly sold for such a car which sold in relatively low nos
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 21:45   #8256
BHPian

Quote:
i got the coil changed two years back with a gas refill. So I wonder what happened that I'm running low within 2 years

Quote:

some of your statements are contradictory. How can you call anything that is two years OLD as brand new ? Also, two years is enough time for a whole lot of things to go wrong. In India. The Ac is quite a tricky contraption and a small glitch can create big problems in a flash. Also depends where you get it fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_kaushal View Post
Ok, then another possibility is that one of of the a/c pipes have developed cracks/leaks due to which the refrigerant is escaping out of the system.

Regards
Kunal
The only component in a modern car Ac which can develop a leak and still continue to hold gas after weeks is the cooling coil as it develops very minor leakages. All other parts springing leaks will let out all the gas within hours. At the most, a day or two. It's about the way they are constructed and the materials used.

The 2 best things we can do in such a situation is to:

1) get it diagnosed pronto by an expert to actually know what's happening. That'll solve the dilemma once and for all. Simple.

2) if we enjoy keeping on wondering and just don't feel like going and fixing the thing just now, we can go for a top up and continue to drive. If you are back to square-one within a month or 45 days, it's the coil. If not? Then, well just enjoy the Ac.

The point is we don't want to have a bhpian caught off guard with a hot-air blowing ac, scratching his head and all sweaty, in front of an open hood out on the road in 40-ish degree temperature. Not a pretty picture, right?
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 08:07   #8257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
some of your statements are contradictory. How can you call anything that is two years OLD as brand new ? Also, two years is enough time for a whole lot of things to go wrong. In India. The Ac is quite a tricky contraption and a small glitch can create big problems in a flash. Also depends where you get it fixed.

My bad. I missed mentioning that I got the coil changed last week. The last one went kaput within two years. The original one lasted 8 years. I put it down to the harder environment that I've been subjecting the car to in the last 2-3 years, mainly bad roads and construction sites.
Old 3rd May 2017, 11:07   #8258
BHPian

Gentlemen, what could possibly cause the steering to go stiffer ? I'd left my civic, which is otherwise a daily use car for me, parked for about 10 days. At first I thought it to be something to do with the fact that I'd been driving the ecosport to southern India and back - so thought it might be something to do with me having gotten used to the lighter feel of the ford.
But 3 days on and I feel there is something amiss in the way she behaves. I've checked the under-body and pipes for leakages, the reservoir is at the max level.
Should the PS oil 'churn' when i do a lock to lock turn ? Any other visual inspection that I may do ?
Old 3rd May 2017, 12:28   #8259
BANNED

@WasavaTyres; We have been so spoilt by the super light steering systems of the Electronic Variety that we get foxed by proper hydraulic systems. I suggest you use the Civic for a few days and only then decide. If the oil is Ok then I cannot think of any obvious reason.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 13:02   #8260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@WasavaTyres; I suggest you use the Civic for a few days and only then decide.
Thanks professor. I hope it's just this and nothing else. Spot on about the electronic variety.
Old 3rd May 2017, 13:49   #8261
Senior - BHPian

Any recommendations on Manual Transmission Fluid for Civic?
Old 3rd May 2017, 14:18   #8262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Saar why not stock Honda Manual Transmission Fluid ? I changed the same and its good .
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:31   #8263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I have been reading in many forums that OEM honds transmission oil is best, many claim that Honda transmission is sensitive for other oils. It's not very expensive either at HASS
Old 3rd May 2017, 21:01   #8264
Senior - BHPian

@wasavatyres

Is there a pump whine as well? When the steering on my Civic became stiff, there was a whine as well. The steering pump had become weak and it was akin to driving a car without power steering. Had to go in for a new one.

Update regarding the airconditioning issue. So it looks like the refrigerant was low. The coil, condenser and the pipe was fine. Got a top-up done. Back to normal.
Old 3rd May 2017, 23:01   #8265
BHPian

The left ORVM in my 2007 Honda Civic S AT is malfunctioned. When I power on the car, I hear a whirring noise. Also, I noticed that the mirror assembly is moving from closed position to half-closed position freely. It is not going to completely open position either through the button or on pushing it manually.

Request inputs from fellow Civic owners on whether it is repairable or if replacement is the only option. Will appreciate pointers on possible options.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks