Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2017, 17:30   #8311
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
Do any of you know if the Civic has ISOFIX mounts for child seats in the rear?

The manual does mention it but in some models. I did try to feel it behind the seats without removing them, but I'm not sure I found it. There were some ridges. If it isn't present, could one buy a Honda part that can be fixed to get the mount, without a compromise on safety.

Any leads would be much appreciated.
No ISO fix mounts on the civic. You could go through this thread for more information.
WasavaTyres is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 00:49   #8312
BHPian

Yesterday got the 30K Kms Paid Service ('mild' as per Honda's term) done for my 2011 Civic V-MT. This was the first time I walked to a HASS, so was keeping my fingers crossed.

Met the SA and luckily he was an ex-Hyundai dealership staff. Post knowing about me, he called his Service Manager who introduced himself and guaranteed best Service.

The car was then directly taken to the Service Bay for a quick but thorough Inspection. The Service Advisor was a very genuine guy who even showed me the car's under body.

All the items to be covered in the 30K Kms service were duly explained to me. Even the service history of the car in DMS was explained to me point by point and post my approval, the service technician started his job.

I opted for the Air Filter replacement (INR 1100) and Synthetic (0W30) engine oil (1700) with Oil Filter.

The total service bill came out to be INR 5400 which was quite affordable to be honest (as I was expecting it to be higher).

I was also informed that the Hydraulic Slave Clutch was having a very minute leakage. I was given the option to get it replaced since the part was readily available or I could go on with it since the leakage was more of a minute seepage.

The SA (if wanted to take me on a ride) could have insisted to get it replaced but in fact he insisted that I can continue using it till next service.

Post this he insisted that I should meet the GM-Service as well but he was out in the service area.

The genuineness shown by the Service Team impressed me more than the service experience offered by the HASS.

I just have one question in mind. Should I have gone for the Slave Clutch replacement even though the leakage was very minute since it is a very important part of the power train. This being my first car having an hydraulic clutch, so I am bit worried!

Please advise.
Old 12th May 2017, 01:03   #8313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
iVTEC is a catchall term that defines all of Honda's various variable valve timing systems. It was initially used to identify an engine with VTEC and VTC.

iVTEC for the R18A (and for that matter, the K24A3/A4/A8 from the Accord and the K24A1 from the CR-V) are all economy oriented systems in which the cam profiles cause the engine to run on 3 valves (one intake valve mostly closed) during low loads and when it switches over, the "wild" cam profiles make it operate in full 4 valves. The change over is not at a fixed RPM, but in a range. The R18 engines also have more economy oriented features than the K motors (like the WOT throttle at low loads).

Performance VTEC on the other hand, goes from mild to wild cam profiles and the changeover, depending on the engine, especially if you have I/H/E, will be very noticeable.

You do feel the VTEC "kicking in yo" in the R18, but it is far more subtle and most of time, transparent to the driver.

Sadly, the only performance oriented VTEC system being sold today by Honda is in the Type R (which is quite trick - dual VTC, direct injection, all the shiny stuff). All other engines are economy VTEC.
All this reminds me of 'The Fast & the Furious 1' in which they were throwing Civics all around with crazy green/blue under body neons and 'Spoon' engines.

JDM Civic has been the favorite among American Tuners and the FD2 (India bound) was the most recognizable Civic modified by Mugen.

Proud to have one
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2017, 16:13   #8314
Senior - BHPian

Re: 10 years of Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Just back from my 2,00,000 kms(or)10 year service.
Car will be exactly 10 years old in a few days.
Odo is now at 1,60,000+ kms.

I am a bit worried like others here about its reliability, to drive long distances with my family though.

Thank you Honda for making this great car!
Those are some crazy numbers. I'm at 1,44,000 for now

Share your concern for long distances but I still go ahead with them, after a thorough check. Going for another one on the coming weekend. About a 1000 kms...Narkanda in Himachal. Checked all the fluids, tyres, AC all ok. My power steering pump is a bit weak but has never troubled much. Anything specific that I ought to check?
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2017, 16:36   #8315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Anything specific that I ought to check?
I feel that regular servicing at HASS (every 6 months) will uncover any potential (future) problems. Anyway at more than 10 years, nature starts taking its toll on the various parts, I now would not prefer to do very long distance driving with my family.

Fortunately for myself most of the long distance driving were done in the previous years, when the car would have been more reliable (and I too was much younger!).

Umpteen times Madurai-Mettupalayam-Ooty ghat road (425 kms one-way)(this is a very stressful road for any car).

Many times to Chennai (600 kms one-way).

Once to Goa (@laluks was an inspiration to me, I read many of his trips to plan mine)(1,200 kms one-way).

Presently the maximum I drive from my hometown is about 150 kms. So I don't worry much about the reliability now.
manim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2017, 19:19   #8316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I now would not prefer to do very long distance driving with my family.
Once to Goa (@laluks was an inspiration to me, I read many of his trips to plan mine)(1,200 kms one-way).

We did a 4k round trip over 7 days recently for my BIL's marriage. Also did some good speeds, Civic held well. BTW I am at 148K. We did Trivandrum Bangalore Drive under 9 hours twice in the above 4K drive.

Civvy doing marriage duty
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-18268279_10211722258827526_6685055201103901223_n.jpg
Even after 10 years, she is still a stunner when it comes to beauty

Getting pampered before the duty

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-18056751_10211634904803730_1770234238216678332_n.jpg

I guess you can just trust and take it ahead for your drives.

Last edited by laluks : 14th May 2017 at 19:23.
laluks is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th May 2017, 20:57   #8317
BHPian

My civics clutch has been really tight since last few years but I have been ignoring it as it's driver who drives it. Now I am going to drive it and want to get it repaired. Is replacing the clutch plate solve the problem? Would anyone know how much would that cost?
reddevilgautam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2017, 21:10   #8318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
My civics clutch has been really tight since last few years but I have been ignoring it as it's driver who drives it. Now I am going to drive it and want to get it repaired. Is replacing the clutch plate solve the problem? Would anyone know how much would that cost?
Start by checking clutch fluid level. If its low get it topped up and have the master and clutch cylinder examined. They may need replacing if found leaking. It will be around 14 to 18k at Hass for same. If these are ok then clutch can be overhauled from outside Hass for max 6 to 8 k.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2017, 22:26   #8319
BHPian

Mine is 9 years old but ran only 65k so far. Seems perfect and ever since I changed the tyres to Michelin XM2 205 65 R15 tyres..the stance has improved and the ground clearance has improved in the process, car has been a joy to drive ever since.
Old 15th May 2017, 17:19   #8320
BHPian

I am looking to buy some aftermarket parks for the Civic from the US; but the US has so many versions of the Civic (DX, Mugen, two-door....) that it's difficult to figure out which model is the same one available in India. Can any one help? It would be the 9th gen sold from 2006 - 2011 in the US, I guess, but I am clueless about the specifics.
Old 15th May 2017, 17:29   #8321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritofmars View Post
It would be the 9th gen sold from 2006 - 2011 in the US, I guess, but I am clueless about the specifics.
Hi Mate,

Ours is 8th generation FD model, though I am really sorry as I can't pin point the american counterpart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_...hth_generation) <-- this might shed some light to the different versions of 8th generation civic present worldwide.

Hope it helps.

Regards
Kunal

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 15th May 2017 at 17:33.
kunal_kaushal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 19:30   #8322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritofmars View Post
I am looking to buy some aftermarket parks for the Civic from the US; but the US has so many versions of the Civic (DX, Mugen, two-door....) that it's difficult to figure out which model is the same one available in India. Can any one help? It would be the 9th gen sold from 2006 - 2011 in the US, I guess, but I am clueless about the specifics.
Ours is known as FD2. The US version in the same era was different and was known as FN2 (similar one was sold in UK/Europe). FN2 in US was sold in 2 mainstream versions namely Civic Si and Type R.

On the flip side, FD2 was primarily for Japanese domestic market (hence known as JDM in the tuner world and big time popular courtesy Mugen). It was also sold in Asia Pacific countries.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 19:45   #8323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Ours is known as FD2.
Hi Ashish

you are right about yours being fd2 (2009-2013), prior to these were fd1 (2006-2009), that's the reason I said ours is Civic FD (FD1 and FD2).

I may be wrong also.

Also after Laluks posted his immaculate civic's pics, I couldn't stop myself from uploading a pic of my 10 year old darling ( madly in love with her till date.)

Regards
Kunal
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20170515_194941.jpg  

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 15th May 2017 at 19:52.
kunal_kaushal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 20:06   #8324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_kaushal View Post
Hi Ashish

you are right about yours being fd2 (2009-2013), prior to these were fd1 (2006-2009), that's the reason I said ours is Civic FD (FD1 and FD2).

I may be wrong also.

Also after Laluks posted his immaculate civic's pics, I couldn't stop myself from uploading a pic of my 10 year old darling ( madly in love with her till date.)

Regards
Kunal
Kunal, that's a beauty. Specially the cosmetic modifications done by you like Honda logo in Red and aftermarket headlamps with DRL. They complement the color of your car.

I was also about to change the front/rear/steering logo to red one along with Mugen Spoiler and RR badging but halted my decision as I was not sure about how would all those modifications look on a Silver colored car.

So till now have kept it bone stock. Here's the pic of my i-VTEC just after a complete 3M washing and waxing done by me.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1494858637923.jpg  

ashishrathi88 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 20:17   #8325
BHPian

Ashish, your stock car is also a beautiful gem (gleaming and well pampered). Also I really appreciate your kind words of appreciation towards my car.

I have seen sliver civic sporting JDM logos, along with the mugen spoiler, and they surely were complimenting the timeless aesthetics of civic, let me search my archive andi will try to post some pics of that car for your reference.

Regards
Kunal

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 15th May 2017 at 20:36.
kunal_kaushal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks