Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2017, 19:22   #8446
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@R2D2; My Civic is now with my son in Gurugram. He is even more careful than me in these matters. Let us see what is put in by Pearl Honda. He does over 25,000pa as against about 5,000 by me. This was the reason for the swap. I have his City AVN with me.
Sir,
Hope 0W20 is kosher for older generation Honda engines as well.

But when that belief in Honda is shaken by their ASS inability to confirm about the oil grade they are using, I would choose to trust the vehicle owner manual instead.

Thanks.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd June 2017 at 21:03. Reason: Quoted text edited
vaasu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:35   #8447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_kaushal View Post
Hi Mate, most probably the brake discs are culprit here, kindly visit FNG and get them inspected (he will be able to suggest whether these needs to be changed or you can get them skimmed at lathe and continue for another 5k or more kms).

Regards
Kunal
Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I had the same problem when my car was relatively new and had done less than 40,000 kms, after changing the front brake pads along with the discs (expensive though!), the problem was solved.

Or you can 'skim' the front discs as many have done here on this thread.
Thanks, Kunal and Manim,

I did get it checked at the Honda ASS during the service recently and they said that the disc and the pads are fine. Somehow they have diagnosed it to a wearing gearbox mount. How the two are linked is what baffles me.

I'll now try to visit a FNG to have this diagnosed correctly and get the discs skimmed if suggested.

Best,
Enigmatic
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:58   #8448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post

Somehow they have diagnosed it to a wearing gearbox mount. How the two are linked is what baffles me.

Best,
Enigmatic
Hi Mate,

I would also humbly suggest, to kindly go through this excellent thread,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...g-what-do.html

it highlights and pin points, various causes of vibrations while driving any vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Kunal
kunal_kaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 07:10   #8449
BANNED

Re: Power steering pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
Sometime I get a whining sound from engine bay after about 5 or 6 km run. HASS checked and said, some air is trapped in PS pump, and need to replace the pump. Estimate for spare is 38K . I checked whether there is any leak, and they said, no leak. But still it can't be repaired. Am totally confused on why it can' be repaired, if its about some air got in the pump.

Any advice would help

Car has done 70k. But I have up sized the tire (to 205 from 195) at 40k. May be that triggered this issue
Visited two FNG, and both confirmed pump need to be replaced !. Its available in 2nd hand market (12 or 13k), as compared to 32k with Honda ASS. Though its claimed to be of crashed vehicles, I am thinking it could refurbished. Any experience with 2nd hand PS pump ?
Old 24th June 2017, 20:16   #8450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Manufacturers revise lube recommendations for new generation vehicles/engines and dealers follow instructions. Those of us with older vehicles would be better off if we used oil grades recommended in the manual.
+1 to that.

I'm not sure about Honda, but MSIL did many small but significant changes in their engines before switching to 0W20 oil.

Here is the link to it: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4207791

Old gen Maruti cars, when run on 0w20 oil sound rough, and some even start burning oil through excessive blow-by. So when it comes to older cars, it's best we follow our Owners Manuals.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 14:38   #8451
Senior - BHPian

So what do people like us do, the ones who still take their civics diligently to HASS for service? If they've moved to the wrong grade of oil, and they don't have the one prescribed in the manual, then what?

I'm still wary of getting the service done outside. Part replacements is now completely handled at my trusty FNG.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 20:34   #8452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
So what do people like us do, the ones who still take their civics diligently to HASS for service? If they've moved to the wrong grade of oil, and they don't have the one prescribed in the manual, then what?
I let my ASC handle everything in my car's annual maintenance except the oil which I purchase from the open market. You may want to consider following the same procedure.

Quote:
I'm still wary of getting the service done outside. Part replacements is now completely handled at my trusty FNG.
I thought you take your car to a HASS. What kind of work do you have done there?

Well, either way it's simple. Take your beloved car to the FNG when required and to the HASS for all other maintenance jobs.

I am considering my car to a dose of synthetic gearbox oil and to have it done it'll have to go to the FNG. My car's ASC believes in dino oil for engine and the transmission a choice I do not agree with.
Old 26th June 2017, 08:13   #8453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I thought you take your car to a HASS. What kind of work do you have done there?

Well, either way it's simple. Take your beloved car to the FNG when required and to the HASS for all other maintenance jobs.
I have been taking it to HASS till now. Only part replacements are done at a FNG. That was only due to the Idemitsu oil that I think performs best. Service quality wise, Southend Honda, Mathura road are pretty average. Nowadays even something like a car wash and tyre polish have to be 'asked' for. Besides the constant push to go for a PS overhaul for the past 3 years.
Old 26th June 2017, 20:02   #8454
Senior - BHPian

So with the new Honda Oil policy (yet to confirm same with my Honda guy) of using 0w 20 which does not seem to be recommended for the Civic will the Liqui Moly Synthoil 0W-40 Petrol be a good alternative? I am looking forward to use this oil in the future when the time comes to change the current oil as I have read good reviews about Liqui Moly.
Old 27th June 2017, 03:27   #8455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
So with the new Honda Oil policy (yet to confirm same with my Honda guy) of using 0w 20 which does not seem to be recommended for the Civic will the Liqui Moly Synthoil 0W-40 Petrol be a good alternative? I am looking forward to use this oil in the future when the time comes to change the current oil as I have read good reviews about Liqui Moly.
My Civic seems to be running quite smooth with the 0W20, probably because of the switch from mineral to synthetic as well. As the Prof argued, it is the standard grade in he US, so maybe it is ok. I am still somewhat ambivalent.

Is the Liquid Moly oil API-SN?
coolvenk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 20:23   #8456
BHPian

Dear BHPians, I am in talk with a vendor on AliExpress for Civic FD2R spoiler.

Here is the link for the same.

http://s.aliexpress.com/f2Y7RVJn

The price quoted by him is $55 for the spoiler and $55 for Courier (EMS Service).

That accounts to ~INR 7400.

Since this is the first time I would be buying any item from AliExpress or any foreign land so I'm having a lot of doubts in my mind specially regarding the Indian Custom rules and regulations.

Would I have to pay custom duty on this item or is there a way that it would not be applicable in this item.

I have heard that people mention the couriered items as gift/sample and some reduce the sticker price of the item mentioned on the packaging.

Please advise the best possible route.
Old 27th June 2017, 20:34   #8457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Dear BHPians, I am in talk with a vendor on AliExpress for Civic FD2R spoiler.

Here is the link for the same.

http://s.aliexpress.com/f2Y7RVJn

The price quoted by him is $55 for the spoiler and $55 for Courier (EMS Service).

That accounts to ~INR 7400.

Since this is the first time I would be buying any item from AliExpress or any foreign land so I'm having a lot of doubts in my mind specially regarding the Indian Custom rules and regulations.

Would I have to pay custom duty on this item or is there a way that it would not be applicable in this item.

I have heard that people mention the couriered items as gift/sample and some reduce the sticker price of the item mentioned on the packaging.

Please advise the best possible route.
The volume is huge and for sure it will attract custom's interest. But they are very predictive, they will ask you to prove the value of the item and its use. Pay the tax through your courier partner, and it gets delivered home. You can prove the value either by invoice or by showing your transfer details.

For me for an order of approx 100$ inclusive of shipping I was charged 1800 including customs and clearance fee.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 20:54   #8458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
The volume is huge and for sure it will attract custom's interest. But they are very predictive, they will ask you to prove the value of the item and its use. Pay the tax through your courier partner, and it gets delivered home. You can prove the value either by invoice or by showing your transfer details.

For me for an order of approx 100$ inclusive of shipping I was charged 1800 including customs and clearance fee.
@Laluks: As per the vendor, he would be sending it through EMS as it has the highest clearance rate and is also economical compared to DHL etc. who as per him have low clearance rate.

I want to avoid any hassles and get it directly delivered to my home.

Can you explain to me how can I pay custom taxes through courier partner (EMS in my case) and how much. The courier partner could take me for a drive because I'm a total novice in this matter.
Old 27th June 2017, 21:03   #8459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Can you explain to me how can I pay custom taxes through courier partner (EMS in my case) and how much. The courier partner could take me for a drive because I'm a total novice in this matter.
EMS is via the Hassle errr Postal Service. They will ask you for proof of value and have you pay the Customs Duty at their designated counter or centre. They are a PITA to deal with in my experience.

If you truly want hassle free ask for shipping by an established courier Company e.g. DHL/FEDEX/UPS etc. This method is also safer compared to the Postal service.

The amount of duty charged is as per the law/rules on the total of CIS i.e. cost + insurance + shipping/freight and will therefore vary according to the method you choose.

So select the method according to what is important to you.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 22:19   #8460
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, from where can I source the OE style spoiler for the Civic? HASS doesn't stock it anymore, plus I wouldn't have been interested at the rates they generally quote. Plus, it would be great if I get a pre-painted one in alabaster silver.

Any pointers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks