Team-BHP > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:42   #8626
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 204
Thanked: 231 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
The motor can be repaired as I had mine done. Don't fall for Honda's tricks. Ask around for a garage which specializes in such repairs. I had done it last year and touchwood it's still running fine.
I got mine repaired by FNG. cost me 500 bucks. The motor would not stop whirring earlier. Some kind of stopper was repaired.

If the motor itself is kaput, a good FNG can get it from the used car parts market and replace. In Delhi, Mayapuri is the best destination.
VineetG is offline  
Old 23rd August 2017, 12:39   #8627
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,927
Thanked: 8,372 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
The ones on the dimmer switch and mode select are called T3 Neo Wedge or Neo Wedge.

The ones on the climate control panel are T4 Neo Wedge or T4 Wedge.

Available on Amazon India. LED types. Just got them changed for the selecter and dimmer buttons. Color was white.

Thinking of getting T4 LEDs for the climate control panel too.

Rgds
That's very helpful. Can you please post the link of what you ordered (as there are a lot of results with varied prices)? I'm also looking for the ones under the dimmer and selector switch.
Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 23rd August 2017 at 12:42.
saket77 is offline  
Old 24th August 2017, 07:54   #8628
Senior - BHPian
 
coolkurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,482
Thanked: 1,412 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
I got mine repaired by FNG. cost me 500 bucks. The motor would not stop whirring earlier. Some kind of stopper was repaired.

If the motor itself is kaput, a good FNG can get it from the used car parts market and replace. In Delhi, Mayapuri is the best destination.
Which motor are we talking about here? The one that powers the side mirrors?
coolkurt is online now  
Old 25th August 2017, 01:55   #8629
Senior - BHPian
 
danlalan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: mumbai,JUHU
Posts: 1,605
Thanked: 146 Times
Default

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1503606199.613330.jpg

Look what has arrived in the mail. Has anyone from mumbai done this mod. I know this mod is done from someone here on Team-BHP.
But looking for someone who's done it in mumbai.
Should be easy to install I guess. Not really a DIY.
Shall keep you'll updated.
danlalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 08:34   #8630
Senior - BHPian
 
coolkurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,482
Thanked: 1,412 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Available at HASS for around 1200 rupees. I just got mine changed.

Ask them to re-use the existing bumper locks(those black plastic pin type locks), otherwise they charge a bomb for each.

Rgds
I've told Ghai to source the splash guard and the fender linings for me so should be cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Attachment 1669505

Should be easy to install I guess. Not really a DIY.
Shall keep you'll updated.
This looks interesting. I think quite a few people have attempted to do this on the 8thgencivic forum. I'm unaware of anyone here on team bhp who's successfully modded this onto the 2006/2007 Civic. A steering wheel replacement was what I was recommended when I enquired about the same.
coolkurt is online now  
Old 26th August 2017, 02:34   #8631
Senior - BHPian
 
danlalan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: mumbai,JUHU
Posts: 1,605
Thanked: 146 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Attachment 1669505

Look what has arrived in the mail. Has anyone from mumbai done this mod. I know this mod is done from someone here on Team-BHP.
But looking for someone who's done it in mumbai.
Should be easy to install I guess. Not really a DIY.
Shall keep you'll updated.

Nobody interested in doing this mod? Iam really looking gn forward to getting this done but there in no real clarity on the DIY for this. Any suggestions.
danlalan is offline  
Old 26th August 2017, 03:38   #8632
BHPian
 
bigblackshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 96
Thanked: 70 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Nobody interested in doing this mod? Iam really looking gn forward to getting this done but there in no real clarity on the DIY for this. Any suggestions.
It requires to take out the airbag which is why never ventured into it. Also the rear controls in the armrest need to be disconnected to get these working. There is someone on the forum who successfully did this if I remember and has a thread about it.
bigblackshark is offline  
Old 26th August 2017, 13:30   #8633
Senior - BHPian
 
danlalan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: mumbai,JUHU
Posts: 1,605
Thanked: 146 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblackshark View Post
It requires to take out the airbag which is why never ventured into it. Also the rear controls in the armrest need to be disconnected to get these working. There is someone on the forum who successfully did this if I remember and has a thread about it.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1503734386.854576.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  384.8 KB

Removing the airbag is child's play. But getting the controls connected isn't.

The person who has done it on the forum doesn't have a pictorial so it's very difficult to understand.

Last edited by ampere : 26th August 2017 at 20:14. Reason: Typo fixed
danlalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 13:41   #8634
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6,524
Thanked: 15,388 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Attachment 1669797

Removing the airbag is child's play. But getting the controls connected isn't.

The person who has done it on the forum doesn't have a pictorial so it's very difficult to understand.

Check this out
https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/t/d...8th-gen/171862

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/t/2...trol/179837/47
laluks is offline  
Old 26th August 2017, 15:36   #8635
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,927
Thanked: 8,372 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Attachment 1669797

Removing the airbag is child's play. But getting the controls connected isn't.

The person who has done it on the forum doesn't have a pictorial so it's very difficult to understand.
Hmmm...went through the entire thread. Looks like quite a job. I believe our Civics come with tachometer which has the ability to accommodate the cruise control as the icon lits up when you do the gauge diagnostic test. But then again, lots of other modifications/ wiring/ changing of switches required. And the clockspring too.

Please tread very carefully. Its critical stuff.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline  
Old 26th August 2017, 18:04   #8636
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6,524
Thanked: 15,388 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hmmm...went through the entire thread. Looks like quite a job. I believe our Civics come with tachometer which has the ability to accommodate the cruise control as the icon lits up when you do the gauge diagnostic test. But then again, lots of other modifications/ wiring/ changing of switches required. And the clockspring too.

Please tread very carefully. Its critical stuff.

Regards,
Saket
It is not straight forward.
I had stumbled upon that thread many years before. Then I did not want to compromise on reliability by a hasty hack, since I did not have much time to oversee this then.

Now a cruise control is not going to help me any more , so left it
laluks is offline  
Old 27th August 2017, 08:08   #8637
Senior - BHPian
 
coolkurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,482
Thanked: 1,412 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

It's still a lot of work. For something that I'll probably use once in six months. It's too complicated and too much can go wrong so I'd rather not risk it.

@All

Instead of the usual engine splash guard,has anyone got a metal plate fitted under the engine bay? I was thinking of getting one, like the one in my Punto.
coolkurt is online now  
Old 27th August 2017, 12:41   #8638
Senior - BHPian
 
coolkurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,482
Thanked: 1,412 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Sorry for making another post, couldn't edit the one above.

So I was hunting for new shoes for my Civic. The Turanzas barely lasted 33k kms and I blame it all on driving on really bad roads, gurgaon construction sites etc owing to the nature of my work.

The options:

Goodyears - 5 years warranty including 2 years damage warranty. Rs 5000 each
Bridgestone Turanza - 5 years warranty. Rs 5500 each
Hankook Kinergy Ex - 5 years warranty. Rs 4800 each

After a lot of debate, went with the dealer's recommendation. I've been buying tyres from him for many years for all my cars so I trust his judgement.

I wanted silent tyres without compromising on the durability. The Turanzas were a no go, owing to my bad experience ( Although I know it's due to the conditions, plus there was a slight alignment issue that I neglected and probably the calipers weren't in sync too).

Thought I'd pick something different for a change and finally settled for the Hankooks. And after about a 100 kms, I'm impressed. They're pretty silent, more than the Turanzas. Hankook has really worked to improve their reliability.
coolkurt is online now  
Old 27th August 2017, 15:40   #8639
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,927
Thanked: 8,372 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
It is not straight forward.
I had stumbled upon that thread many years before. Then I did not want to compromise on reliability by a hasty hack, since I did not have much time to oversee this then.

Now a cruise control is not going to help me any more , so left it
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
It's still a lot of work. For something that I'll probably use once in six months. It's too complicated and too much can go wrong so I'd rather not risk it.
Totally agree. It will be among the last aftermarket fitments that I would want. Reliability will always play on the back of my mind. There's a set of logics when the cruise control should disengage automatically which is best left to the manufacturer.
However, I wholeheartedly agree that these illuminated switches of HU and cruise control would look very cool on the steering wheel
But I think even just fitting them on the steering wheel would require new clock Spring as pre 2009 ones didn't have such provision.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 18:04   #8640
Senior - BHPian
 
coolkurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,482
Thanked: 1,412 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

How many litres of Oil do we need at the time of oil change? I found the following on industrybuying -

Idemitsu 5W30 SNA5/B5 Engine Oil (3.5 Ltr). It was retailing for Rs 1773. Is this fine? Is 3.5 litres enough?
coolkurt is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks