Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2017, 18:39   #8641
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I am getting a somewhat high frequency whirring noise right after a cold start from the front right-ish side; sounds like noise from something rotating at high frequency. The noise is higher when I rev her up and even when I am in neutral; it occurs during driving too. It is an AT.

It goes away after 5 minutes-ish of a cold start, presumably when the engine is warm.

Any clues on what it might be? Haven't yet shown it to HASS.

Thanks !
Old 27th August 2017, 18:53   #8642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
I am getting a somewhat high frequency whirring noise right after a cold start from the front right-ish side; sounds like noise from something rotating at high frequency. The noise is higher when I rev her up and even when I am in neutral; it occurs during driving too. It is an AT.

It goes away after 5 minutes-ish of a cold start, presumably when the engine is warm. Any clues on what it might be? Haven't yet shown it to HASS.

The clue here is the sound goes away. Check the timing/alternator/AC compressor belt. May have become a bit loose or due to wear and tear. If it has an auto belt tensioner check that part too.

The other part that can whine is the alternator but I think it is unlikely as an alternator bearing will continue to whine till the engine is shut off.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 19:02   #8643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
How many litres of Oil do we need at the time of oil change? I found the following on industrybuying -

Idemitsu 5W30 SNA5/B5 Engine Oil (3.5 Ltr). It was retailing for Rs 1773. Is this fine? Is 3.5 litres enough?
Answered here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4248325

Regarding costs, 3.8 Ltrs fully synthetic Idemitsu 0W-20 would cost approximately the same at HASS. Obviously labour and filter charges extra.

Regards,
Saket.
Old 28th August 2017, 09:40   #8644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am getting a somewhat high frequency whirring noise right after a cold start from the front right-ish side;

Any clues on what it might be? Haven't yet shown it to HASS.

Thanks !
Hi probably the power steering whine is what you are hearing. Check the power steering fluid reservoir periodically. Check for any traces of oil on the serpentine belt or on the power steering pump pulley etc when the engine is off. If the fluid level is low take it to a good FNG. Avoid HASS for this work as they will gleefully tell you it is a Power steering issue even when it's not. Mostly if the pump is leaking the seals and the oil are all that is to be replaced. It won't cost you more than 4-5k at a good garage. HASS will ask to replace the entire pump assembly at 45-50k. Also just in case if it's the pump issue and you get it repaired outside make sure that the oil filled in the reservoir is not more than the full mark.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 12:09   #8645
BHPian

Thanks a lot R2D2 and Sumeet !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi probably the power steering whine is what you are hearing. Check the power steering fluid reservoir periodically. Check for any traces of oil on the serpentine belt or on the power steering pump pulley etc when the engine is off. If the fluid level is low take it to a good FNG. Avoid HASS for this work as they will gleefully tell you it is a Power steering issue even when it's not. Mostly if the pump is leaking the seals and the oil are all that is to be replaced. It won't cost you more than 4-5k at a good garage. HASS will ask to replace the entire pump assembly at 45-50k. Also just in case if it's the pump issue and you get it repaired outside make sure that the oil filled in the reservoir is not more than the full mark.
Out of curiosity, if it is the Power Steering whine, isn't it on all the time? Does it go away after 10-ish minutes of driving? I will check the PS fluid levels and get back to you.
Old 28th August 2017, 13:34   #8646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot R2D2 and Sumeet !

Out of curiosity, if it is the Power Steering whine, isn't it on all the time? Does it go away after 10-ish minutes of driving? I will check the PS fluid levels and get back to you.
I believe what happens is the whine is due to presence of air in the system which gets rectified after the engine warms up. As a best practice let the engine idle for 20-30 secs before the doing any hard turns.

https://itstillruns.com/do-power-ste...d-7715778.html
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 13:45   #8647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Attachment 1669505Should be easy to install I guess. Not really a DIY. Shall keep you'll updated.
Please do let me know if the audio controls work on this. I got images to hook up the wiring , but being a tyrewala - I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. And local ínstallers' - more of wiring-guys actually - know zilch about this. Attaching some pics for the audio controls if they can be of any help. There was a guy in Karachi who claimed to have successfully done this. Dig through pakwheels or 8thcivicforum to find out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
A steering wheel replacement was what I was recommended when I inquired about the same.
I too got the audio controls when i got a replacement steering for my 2008 car from kurla market. The perforated leather part on the old one was smoothed out completely.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-aux-audio-1.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-aux-audio-2.jpg  

Attached Images

WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 20:31   #8648
BHPian

All, request you for your inputs.

Whilst my Civic had gone for its periodic service to HASS, I asked them to undertake an inspection of parts that might need replacing soon.

I have received the following list with approximate price breakup:

1. Lower arm bush assembly - INR 17,500
2. Inner and outer ball joint in assembly - INR 18,000
3. Gear box upper mount - INR 9,500
4. Auto tensioner - INR 9,400
Total - INR 54,400

Since my car is under extended warranty, the Auto tensioner might be replaced under warranty.

My question to you all is, should I visit HASS for the aforementioned work or should I visit an FNG in Mumbai since that would result in considerable (?) savings. I have not had any past experience with an FNG and hence I am skeptical of their quality of work. If you have had any of the aforementioned work undertaken at an FNG, request you to recommend an FNG in Mumbai.

I hope undertaking the aforementioned work at an FNG would not result in warranty related issues.

Thanks,
Enigmatic
Old 30th August 2017, 20:57   #8649
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4115953

Kindly go through my post above. I had got the lower arm ball joint and bush OE from Linkway Honda for 11.8k. I got the other ball joints along with tie rods etc of TRW brand for 7.5k.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-km-up-16.html

If your auto tensioner is under warranty you can replace same from Honda but not sure about rest. You can look up team bhp dir for a good fng close to where you live.

By any chance you hearing suspension noise while driving that Hass is recommending such changes ?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 30th August 2017 at 21:00.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 14:27   #8650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
All, request you for your inputs.

Whilst my Civic had gone for its periodic service to HASS, I asked them to undertake an inspection of parts that might need replacing soon.

I have received the following list with approximate price breakup:

1. Lower arm bush assembly - INR 17,500

Thanks,
Enigmatic
I assume you are referring to complete lower control arms (Right and Left), as HASS seldom agrees to change just the bushes, also the cost of bushes (if available) is far less then what you have quoted.

I had got the lower both the control arms changed at HASS sometime back, as the aftermarket bushes went kaput within 2 months of regular use on Gurgaon roads. Though not too sure but I think the cost was around 14500 inclusive of labor charges at Ring Road Honda.

Regards
Kunal

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 31st August 2017 at 14:32. Reason: fixed typos
kunal_kaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 17:18   #8651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_kaushal View Post
I assume you are referring to complete lower control arms (Right and Left), as HASS seldom agrees to change just the bushes, also the cost of bushes (if available) is far less then what you have quoted.

I had got the lower both the control arms changed at HASS sometime back, as the aftermarket bushes went kaput within 2 months of regular use on Gurgaon roads. Though not too sure but I think the cost was around 14500 inclusive of labor charges at Ring Road Honda.

Regards
Kunal
Thanks Kunal,

I have been informed that only the bushes are required to be changed and not the entire control arm. Will get this re-verified.

Best,
Enigmatic
Enigmatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 00:49   #8652
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Kunal,

I have been informed that only the bushes are required to be changed and not the entire control arm. Will get this re-verified.

Best,
Enigmatic
Mate, I had sourced the lower arm bushes myself from one shop in Masab Tank, Hyderabad. Including Rs 500 for fitting, in total, it costed me Rs 2100. Thankfully, it has been working perfectly for the last 3 years.
civic-dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 07:21   #8653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Kunal,

Best,
Enigmatic
That is correct. Only the bushes have to be replaced. There's usually no issue with the control arms. However, the same will be facilitated only by an FNG. HASS will push to replace the entire arm.

It's been 2 years I've got the bushes replaced. No issues whatsoever.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 08:34   #8654
BHPian

Bhpians,

The air con compressor of my Civic cuts on and off frequently, like thrice a minute. While idling, it becomes glaringly noticeable. Is this okay?
Old 1st September 2017, 09:23   #8655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Bhpians,

The air con compressor of my Civic cuts on and off frequently, like thrice a minute. While idling, it becomes glaringly noticeable. Is this okay?
@petroguzzler: Lower the temperature to "Min" and then observe the same. Does it still cuts off in similar fashion?

I'm saying this because I normally keep the temperature at 25-26 degrees (Civic's AC is a chiller) and it also cuts off the compressor 2-3 times in a minute but setting the temperature any lower than 20 degrees makes it work non-stop.

Also get the AC Refrigerant checked for a lower pressure in the system as it might impact the normal functioning of the compressor.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed