Team-BHP > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2017, 14:12   #8776
Senior - BHPian
 
coolkurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,482
Thanked: 1,414 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
To people who had bought a new engine mount from Honda or other sources what was the gap between the rubber and metal part ? [/url]
You are right. The older design had enough gap to stick a finger in between. I've changed the mounts twice. the first one lasted 32000 kms while this one has clocked above 50000 kms and is still going strong. Big enough gap. Still the older design though. Each costed Rs 2200 from Ghai Spares.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 16:48   #8777
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,292
Thanked: 1,934 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
You are right. The older design had enough gap to stick a finger in between. I've changed the mounts twice. the first one lasted 32000 kms while this one has clocked above 50000 kms and is still going strong. Big enough gap. Still the older design though. Each costed Rs 2200 from Ghai Spares.
Yes precisely why I may not go for the re-designed mount again once the current mount goes totally kaput. I remember facing clang clang sound even after the Honda mount was installed. I always thought it was the loose hood support rod and tried to pad it up to no avail.

I wonder that metal portion juts out and why is it needed ? If that metal part was not there itself it would not touch the bottom rubber base at all. What could be the reason of having that thick metal part on the mount in the first place ?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 11th November 2017 at 16:50.
sumeethaldankar is online now  
Old 11th November 2017, 16:52   #8778
Senior - BHPian
 
coolkurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,482
Thanked: 1,414 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Yes precisely why I may not go for the re-designed mount again once the current mount goes totally kaput. I remember facing clang clang sound even after the Honda mount was installed. I always thought it was the loose hood holder rod and tried to pad it up to no avail.

I wonder that metal portion juts out and why is it needed ? If that metal part was not there itself it would not touch the bottom rubber base at all. What could be the reason of having that thick metal part on the mount in the first place ?
That must be to put a limit to the amount of play it should be allowed to have once the mount starts deteriorating. Must be a design compulsion.

Although I've had no complaints with the older design. Especially the vfm aspect when I source it from Ghai. Car has clocked 1,57,000 Kms and still going good. May just require on more mount change 20k kms down the line
coolkurt is offline  
Old 11th November 2017, 17:03   #8779
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,292
Thanked: 1,934 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
That must be to put a limit to the amount of play it should be allowed to have once the mount starts deteriorating. Must be a design compulsion.

Although I've had no complaints with the older design. Especially the vfm aspect when I source it from Ghai. Car has clocked 1,57,000 Kms and still going good. May just require on more mount change 20k kms down the line
Will Ghai be willing to ship to Mumbai if the need arises ?
sumeethaldankar is online now  
Old 11th November 2017, 17:31   #8780
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6,524
Thanked: 15,388 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Will Ghai be willing to ship to Mumbai if the need arises ?
Yes, he sends to me the parts I want. Coolkurt often mediates for a saner pricing though
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 17:37   #8781
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,927
Thanked: 8,372 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Does Ghai spares stock OE made spares for the Civic? Makes it a nice proposal to travel to Delhi for the same and also meet some BHPians there
saket77 is offline  
Old 12th November 2017, 12:53   #8782
BHPian
 
varunanb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 195
Thanked: 179 Times
Default

Last 2 days the check engine warning is on and have the rpm stuck between 1200 and 1800. Not more or not less. Every gear shift there is a jerk. No response to the throttle. Any suggestions on what can be the trouble and solution pls.
It's a civic auto 2007. 1.04L kms in odor.
varunanb is offline  
Old 12th November 2017, 13:17   #8783
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,292
Thanked: 1,934 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Last 2 days the check engine warning is on and have the rpm stuck between 1200 and 1800. Not more or not less. Every gear shift there is a jerk. No response to the throttle. Any suggestions on what can be the trouble and solution pls.
It's a civic auto 2007. 1.04L kms in odor.
Is the transmission D light blinking on the dash? It could mean some issue with the transmission. Have the error codes checked out. When was the last time the transmission oil changed?
sumeethaldankar is online now  
Old 12th November 2017, 13:30   #8784
BHPian
 
varunanb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 195
Thanked: 179 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Is the transmission D light blinking on the dash? It could mean some issue with the transmission. Have the error codes checked out. When was the last time the transmission oil changed?

Oil change was done 4 months back and 4k kms done since then. All the indicators are normal except the check engine..
varunanb is offline  
Old 12th November 2017, 14:01   #8785
Senior - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurugram
Posts: 7,902
Thanked: 4,556 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I was in Gurugram for less than two days. I spotted an advt from Honda that they have cancelled the dealership of Kapsons aka Pearl Honda. They were old dealers so customers will have some adjustments to do. Many may not even be aware of this change. I wonder what led to Honda taking this drastic step.

Last edited by sgiitk : 12th November 2017 at 14:09.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 16:41   #8786
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,292
Thanked: 1,934 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Anyone used the K&N drop in filter in the Civic ? How's the performance in the lower gears ? Does it improve or worsens further ?
sumeethaldankar is online now  
Old 12th November 2017, 17:12   #8787
Distinguished - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,952
Thanked: 4,396 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Anyone used the K&N drop in filter in the Civic ? How's the performance in the lower gears ? Does it improve or worsens further ?
K&N are expensive and are known to provide better air flow at the cost of filtration efficiency. Plus you need to buy a cleaning kit that will set you back by another 1-2K. For e.g check here:

K&N Review

and here:

K&N vs OEM

For that kind of money you could buy several OEM paper filters which do a better job at air filtration. For e.g. the K&N for my car costs about 5-6K while the paper filter is Rs 928 (previously about Rs 700).

Even if I replace the OEM paper AF every 10K kms, instead of at the recommended 40K kms, I can do 50-60K kms or 5-6 years of normal running for the price of 1 K&N.

One of my friends who was a K&N fan is now back to OEM.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 17:28   #8788
Senior - BHPian
 
coolkurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,482
Thanked: 1,414 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Yes, he sends to me the parts I want. Coolkurt often mediates for a saner pricing though
Haha. always welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Does Ghai spares stock OE made spares for the Civic? Makes it a nice proposal to travel to Delhi for the same and also meet some BHPians there
He does. Not all parts. But mostly he does. And the other Spares are also really good. I've had no issues with his recommendations.
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 22:43   #8789
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,927
Thanked: 8,372 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

The gear lever boot was torn and was an eyesore in the otherwise nice interiors of my Civic. A replacement, not OE, was retailing for 700 bucks on Amazon which I thought was some obscene amount of money for the stuff you get.

The Old Boot:

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-old.jpg

Hence got one done locally by a hoodmaker. It was a 10 minute job for him and a small piece of artificial leather was used, which we normally call rexine.

The entire process:

To open the gear lever knob, you need to pull down the silver plastic ring like this:

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_2379.jpg

Once it is down, just rotate the knob anti-clockwise to get it out of the gear stick. Once knob is out, pry out the silver plastic trim and you will have the plastic trim assembly out in your hand with the boot.
You need a hex head screwdriver to unscrew 4 screws on the base of this assembly to take out the leather boot which is stapled to a plastic child assembly.

I carried the same to the hoodmaker and it was a cakewalk for him. Here are the results:

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-2.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_2377.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_2380.jpg

Total damages: Rs. 100/-


Also, opening the plastic trim was an opportunity to lubricate the gear shifters and joints under the stick. Applied grease generously to them.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_2374.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_2376.jpg

Thanks!

Edit: The sticker that is half visible in the last picture inside the plastic trim bears a "Tata" label!!

Last edited by saket77 : 12th November 2017 at 22:48.
saket77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 10:47   #8790
BHPian
 
WasavaTyres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indore
Posts: 792
Thanked: 383 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Goodmorning gentlemen. How much does a aftermarket Petrol filter cost ? Is it a DIY job ? I read in the owner's manual that it's located under the rear seat [immersed type in the fuel tank]
I've changed the one on my getz in the past so I'm assuming it's a similar design. Any pointers ?
WasavaTyres is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks