Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2017, 21:06   #8866
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

@ Sumeethaldankar
What is your experience with the Liquimoly engine oil ? I have had a similar experience as you in the past where the car felt smoother with the OEM Idemitsu synthetic than with the Sheel Helix Ultra. I felt a similar deterioration when it went from the 0W30 to the 0W20. I was toying with the idea of the Liquimoly too for my upcoming oil change. Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 14th December 2017, 22:40   #8867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
@ Sumeethaldankar
What is your experience with the Liquimoly engine oil ? I have had a similar experience as you in the past where the car felt smoother with the OEM Idemitsu synthetic than with the Sheel Helix Ultra. I felt a similar deterioration when it went from the 0W30 to the 0W20. I was toying with the idea of the Liquimoly too for my upcoming oil change. Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
At first after adding the oil I did not feel much difference. 100kms later I found the car to be revving much better especially while doing down shifts and rev matching. I may continue with the Liqui Moly oil in the future and most probably will not be going back to the OE oil unless the Liqui Moly stops being available.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 03:07   #8868
BHPian

Have you tried Mobil 1 ? If so which do you prefer ?
Old 16th December 2017, 06:45   #8869
Senior - BHPian

We have a 2008 Civic at home that is in close to mint condition.

The only issue it throws up is the engine mount one. One mount was changed a couple of years ago and now Honda ASS says that the other three need to be changed - a Rs 30k job that will also take 2 months to get done because the parts have to be ordered from Japan. Along with some change of suspension components for Rs 20k, where also the parts have to be so ordered, and Honda changes the arm, not just the worn out bush in the arm.

Is this a worthwhile fix or is it time to sell the car now?
Old 16th December 2017, 08:30   #8870
Distinguished - BHPian

More like A S S is making ass out of customer. Do not know pricing right away but much cheaper job was done at FNG on my 2007 Civic last year.
Old 16th December 2017, 13:17   #8871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
We have a 2008 Civic at home that is in close to mint condition.

The only issue it throws up is the engine mount one. One mount was changed a couple of years ago and now Honda ASS says that the other three need to be changed - a Rs 30k job that will also take 2 months to get done because the parts have to be ordered from Japan. Along with some change of suspension components for Rs 20k, where also the parts have to be so ordered, and Honda changes the arm, not just the worn out bush in the arm.

Is this a worthwhile fix or is it time to sell the car now?
Goto spareshub.com you will find all the types of mounts for the civic. Honda must have given the list. Just compare parts name.
Old 16th December 2017, 14:09   #8872
Senior - BHPian

If one does get the part from here, does Honda ASS do the replacement job? Or must one go elsewhere? If so, any reliable places known for this in Pune/Navi Mumbai?
Old 16th December 2017, 16:06   #8873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
If one does get the part from here, does Honda ASS do the replacement job? Or must one go elsewhere? If so, any reliable places known for this in Pune/Navi Mumbai?
Honda wont work with outside spares. Try the team bhp directory for a garage close to where you live.
Old 16th December 2017, 19:59   #8874
Senior - BHPian

Thank you; the well recommended Tune Up in Baner is 5 minutes away from home, and I had no idea it was even there! Another 5000 kms of driving are advised to be OK after a test drive and on ramp inspection by the owner there before the work becomes a true requirement, so nothing to be done at this time.
Old 16th December 2017, 23:34   #8875
Senior - BHPian

Guys after a clutch overhaul I am facing a stiff steering at right side and almost ok at the left. I had taken my car today to the mechanic who inspected the issue and got back saying that he finds it's normal as there is no leakage or power steering whine. He even adjusted a bolt for the steering column under the steering wheel but the problem remains. He is unconvinced that there is anything wrong with the car but I have confirmed the heaviness with my alignment guy and even with Honda.

The option now as per Honda is to blow 17k on getting the rack overhauled. My question to you guys is will having a weakened serpentine belt causing any issue with the power steering ? I cannot hear any squealing etc and the belt seems OK. Am at my wits end now. FNG guy is not ready to look into the issue and Honda is ready to overhaul the freaking rack again at 17k. Any pointers ideas will be helpful. The thing is no one where the issue lies.

PS: I am not sure if I am imagining it I seem to find the steering heavier without the ac running.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 16th December 2017 at 23:40.
Old 18th December 2017, 07:31   #8876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

The option now as per Honda is to blow 17k on getting the rack overhauled. My question to you guys is will having a weakened serpentine belt causing any issue with the power steering ? I cannot hear any squealing etc and the belt seems OK. Am at my wits end now. FNG guy is not ready to look into the issue and Honda is ready to overhaul the freaking rack again at 17k.
I'd say take another opinion. Why don't you take it to another competent FNG? Ideally, I'd have blamed a weak PS pump but you're saying there is not noticeable whine or leak. Replacing the rack may or may not fix the issue.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 08:19   #8877
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys after a clutch overhaul I am facing a stiff steering at right side and almost ok at the left...... not sure if I am imagining it I seem to find the steering heavier without the ac running.
Assuming tyres and wheel type on both sides are same plus air pressure is same. Only issue left would be alignment with full check on toe in toe out and camber.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 22:53   #8878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys after a clutch overhaul I am facing a stiff steering at right side and almost ok at the left. I had taken my car today to the mechanic who inspected the issue and got back saying that he finds it's normal as there is no leakage or power steering whine. He even adjusted a bolt for the steering column under the steering wheel but the problem remains. He is unconvinced that there is anything wrong with the car but I have confirmed the heaviness with my alignment guy and even with Honda.

The option now as per Honda is to blow 17k on getting the rack overhauled. My question to you guys is will having a weakened serpentine belt causing any issue with the power steering ? I cannot hear any squealing etc and the belt seems OK. Am at my wits end now. FNG guy is not ready to look into the issue and Honda is ready to overhaul the freaking rack again at 17k. Any pointers ideas will be helpful. The thing is no one where the issue lies.

PS: I am not sure if I am imagining it I seem to find the steering heavier without the ac running.
I was at my MASS today to get a noise checked. I asked my SA about your issue, only thing was that I replaced the Honda Civic with Old Baleno Sedan in my query.

After some thinking, he started explaining. Assumptions made: Tyre pressure on both sides is same, lower arm and tie rod ends on both sides are similar in health/brand and the PS pump is in good shape. He said the place where pinion goes, there is a valve with two hydraulic lines, each going towards one wheel. Either the valve, or one of the hydraulic line is jammed.

Get them checked too.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 23:19   #8879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I was at my MASS today to get a noise checked. I asked my SA about your issue, only thing was that I replaced the Honda Civic with Old Baleno Sedan in my query.

After some thinking, he started explaining. Assumptions made: Tyre pressure on both sides is same, lower arm and tie rod ends on both sides are similar in health/brand and the PS pump is in good shape. He said the place where pinion goes, there is a valve with two hydraulic lines, each going towards one wheel. Either the valve, or one of the hydraulic line is jammed.

Get them checked too.

Regards,
Shashi
Thank you so much for taking time out for me. That is very nice of you. As of now I have decided to let the problem more obvious such as a leak or whine etc. Since a rack overhaul outside Honda would cost max 7k half of what Honda is asking and the mechanic who would be doing the overhaul is not convinced it needs to be opened I have decided to let it be for now. I did read up some forums and they did say something about a valve could be jammed but nothing is obvious. As per mechanic who did the clutch work the only thing they did for the rack was to lift it out and put it back once the work was done.
Old 19th December 2017, 06:27   #8880
Distinguished - BHPian

That is very interesting observation from MASS guy Leoshashi.

So Sumeethaldankar in lifting out the rack and putting it back it could very well be that small particle of dust / grit has got in to the hydraulic connections and is jamming the flow. Should be easy enough as opening the connections and bleeding the power fluid. Do let us know if this works out.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks