Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2018, 23:32   #8941
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I had been suffering from two reappearing issues (which you can relate with being a Civic owner) viz.

1. Clutch pedal Squeaking noise

Prologue:
I was tired of the squeaking noise every time I pressed the clutch pedal but somehow due to laziness and extended work commitments, didn't do anything about it.

Solution:
Upon inspection, the piston was totally dry. Straightaway performed a small DIY.

Cleaned the clutch pedal piston with soft cotton cloth and lubricated it generously with Grease (had Red Rubber Grease) and now it's butter smooth. Straight away success.

2. Front Driver Side Brake Vibrations

Prologue:
Suffering from the same issue 4 months back, I had gone for all 4 disc rotor skimming but the same issue reappeared again.

After 4 months post rotor skimming, all the other 3 disc rotors were in perfect condition other that the Front Driver side one, which had developed marks again and hence was causing the vibrations upon hard braking.

Hence, the solution was to re-lubricate the pins (with RED RUBBER GREASE this time) and change the pad as it might have developed undulations.

Solution:
Bought these pads from Ghai Spares, Malviya Nagar for INR 1200. He had some Indian make as well for INR 900 but still went with these.

As per Mr. Ghai, these are Thai make and was confident that they will NOT disappoint me.

Meanwhile tried my OEM connection with nearest HASS. I was shocked to know the price of front set of disc pads.

My trustworthy HASS Service adviser quoted them to be around INR 6-7K excluding labour. I (though unrecovered from shock) politely replied that I will get back to him.

Now, the rest part of disc replacement will be taken care on this coming extended weekend at my hometown by my trusted FNG who this time will be able to lubricate the pins with Red Rubber Grease (as he was not able to source this earlier) and changing the pads with new ones.

Will update you all on this post the coming weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20180121_180150.jpg  

Old 21st January 2018, 23:58   #8942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post

1. Clutch pedal Squeaking noise

Prologue:
I was tired of the squeaking noise every time I pressed the clutch pedal but somehow due to laziness and extended work commitments, didn't do anything about it.

Solution:
Upon inspection, the piston was totally dry. Straightaway performed a small DIY.

Cleaned the clutch pedal piston with soft cotton cloth and lubricated it generously with Grease (had Red Rubber Grease) and now it's butter smooth. Straight away success.

2. Front Driver Side Brake Vibrations

Prologue:
Suffering from the same issue 4 months back, I had gone for all 4 disc rotor skimming but the same issue reappeared again.

After 4 months post rotor skimming, all the other 3 disc rotors were in perfect condition other that the Front Driver side one, which had developed marks again and hence was causing the vibrations upon hard braking.

Hence, the solution was to re-lubricate the pins (with RED RUBBER GREASE this time)
Hi!

Those are Nissin brake pads and if genuine, they should be as good as OE. For 1200 bucks, they are a great buy.

Clutch pedal squeal is a known issue in Civic. Mine is more like a grinding feel towards the end of pedal travel which doesn't show up in short drives, but comes up during longer drives. I posted about the same a few pages back in this very thread.

Can you share which piston did you lubricate? Was it the master or Slave cylinder piston/ component? A picture of the part/ area would probably help us identify better.

And for your brake job, may I advise you to use caliper grease instead of red rubber grease. I too lubricated the caliper pins and brake pistons few months back (DIY) and used red rubber grease but mainly because I couldn't source the caliper grease. Caliper grease are more resistant to heat build ups which is common for brake components.

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 22nd January 2018 at 00:04.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 00:03   #8943
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
IMeanwhile tried my OEM connection with nearest HASS. I was shocked to know the price of front set of disc pads.

My trustworthy HASS Service adviser quoted them to be around INR 6-7K excluding labour. I (though unrecovered from shock) politely replied that I will get back to him.
6-7K? I am not surprised and that's less than what Toyota charges.

The Altis' rear brake pads are 9K with labour, they last for about 20-25K kms. I was informed replacing the front brake pads costs about 12K. But these last way longer for about 40K kms. A nice 20-21K for new brake pads at all 4 wheels.

I purchased Bosch rear brake pads (factory fitted ones are Bosch) from Amazon India for about Rs 1300. Looking to do a DIY if possible. The front pads cost 2K. Altis front brake pads

Also check out Amazon for your car's parts.

Last edited by R2D2 : 22nd January 2018 at 00:08.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 00:42   #8944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Can you share which piston did you lubricate? Was it the master or Slave cylinder piston/ component? A picture of the part/ area would probably help us identify better.

And for your brake job, may I advise you to use caliper grease instead of red rubber grease. I too lubricated the caliper pins and brake pistons few months back (DIY) and used red rubber grease but mainly because I couldn't source the caliper grease. Caliper grease are more resistant to heat build ups which is common for brake components.

Regards,
Saket.
I lubricated the master cylinder piston (as in picture) as it was totally dry. The picture was taken before it was lubed.

Isn't the Red Rubber Grease used on brake Calipers owing to its high thermal compliance.

I came to know about TVS Girling make Caliper Grease (Red colored) which visually looked same as Red Rubber one. Can't actually comment on its actual chemical composition.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20180122_002159.png  

ashishrathi88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 08:57   #8945
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I lubricated the master cylinder piston (as in picture) as it was totally dry. The picture was taken before it was lubed.

Isn't the Red Rubber Grease used on brake Calipers owing to its high thermal compliance.

I came to know about TVS Girling make Caliper Grease (Red colored) which visually looked same as Red Rubber one. Can't actually comment on its actual chemical composition.
Bro, the red grease is meant to be used on caliper pins not brake master/slave cylinder pistons.

Copper grease or high temp grease like Permatex is used at the back of the pads on the shims as an anti seizing agent.

In fact cylinder pistons & seals derive their 'lubrication' directly from the fluid. I would be careful about what I use. What you have is probably a worn out cylinder assembly. So here's hoping that grease doesn't contaminate the fluid over time as it would certainly pose a problem.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:26   #8946
BHPian

Quote:

Solution:
Bought these pads from Ghai Spares, Malviya Nagar for INR 1200. He had some Indian make as well for INR 900 but still went with these.

As per Mr. Ghai, these are Thai make and was confident that they will NOT disappoint me.

Now, the rest part of disc replacement will be taken care on this coming extended weekend at my hometown by my trusted FNG who this time will be able to lubricate the pins with Red Rubber Grease (as he was not able to source this earlier) and changing the pads with new ones.

Will update you all on this post the coming weekend.
Hi Ashish

I really dont want to dissappoint you and I hope the ones you gave got are infact the real deal.

I too had tried these so called genuine Nissin pads when I had my civic, these worked fine for few kms of drive, but soon after the barkes started emitting screeching/grinding noise, whenever the brakes were applied, also the noise kept on increasing through out the day of use.

I had to visit the FNG very next day and on getting the brake pads inspected there was a remarkable difference between the material present on the genuine brake pads and these. The minute old genuine disc pads were put in the grinding noise disappeared.

I later got the genuine ones(5k at that time) and the same were doing the duty till the time I sold the car.

Regards
Kunal
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:55   #8947
Senior - BHPian

Regarding brake pads, I have experimented with three varieties.

1. TNG - lasted 15K Kms
2. WULF - lasted 30K+ kms
3. Roulunds - Still going on 10K done, looks like another 20 more possible

Nothing spectacular nor nothing worrisome.

First OEM Nissin lasted 50K front and 60K rear
Second OEM Nissin lasted 45K front and 50K rear
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:13   #8948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_kaushal View Post
Hi Ashish

I really dont want to dissappoint you and I hope the ones you gave got are infact the real deal.

I too had tried these so called genuine Nissin pads when I had my civic, these worked fine for few kms of drive, but soon after the barkes started emitting screeching/grinding noise, whenever the brakes were applied, also the noise kept on increasing through out the day of use.

I had to visit the FNG very next day and on getting the brake pads inspected there was a remarkable difference between the material present on the genuine brake pads and these. The minute old genuine disc pads were put in the grinding noise disappeared.

I later got the genuine ones(5k at that time) and the same were doing the duty till the time I sold the car.

Regards
Kunal
Just went through few posts in this group itself, maximum fellow bhpians looking out for OEM pads got these Thai make (albeit for a marginal more price ~INR1700).

Infact, there was only a guy or two who went to HASS for replacement mainly due to their abnormally high cost (7 times the cost) compared to aftermarket prices.

As you mentioned about your experience, I am now concerned about the braking effectiveness of these pads.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:17   #8949
BHPian

Quote:
Just went through few posts in this group itself, maximum fellow bhpians looking out for OEM pads got these Thai make (albeit for a marginal more price ~INR1700).

Infact, there was only a guy or two who went to HASS for replacement mainly due to their abnormally high cost (7 times the cost) compared to aftermarket prices.

As you mentioned about your experience, I am now concerned about the braking effectiveness of these pads.
Hi Ashish

When so many of our respected bhpians are using the same one, then maybe I was that lucky guy , who got a knock off of these. By the way I got these for 1500 a pair.

Regards
Kunal
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20180122_112317.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th February 2018 at 14:55. Reason: No proxy selling on the main forum threads. You may list them on the Classifieds section. Thanks.
kunal_kaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 14:31   #8950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Unfortunately the owners-manual does not have anything about replacing the drive-belt.
Would the below illustration help ??
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic-drive-belt.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 12:26   #8951
Senior - BHPian

500k Miles in a 2013 Honda Civic. Frankly I wish this (9th generation) was the model that Honda plans to launch instead of the current 10th generation one. You can see the new Civic in action in the Grand Tour's latest episode on Amazon prime. The new Civic's interiors in the current GT episode seems like that of an ordinary car.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 28th January 2018 at 12:39. Reason: Adding the generation of the models
Old 28th January 2018, 12:31   #8952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Frankly I wish this was the model that Honda plans to launch instead of the current one. You can see the new Civic in action in the Grand Tour's latest episode on Amazon prime. The new Civic's interiors in the current GT episode seems like that of an ordinary car.
You meant the Type R May drove? I agree with you. Also the new gen normal Civic which is told to come to India this year is also plane jane. I would not put my money there. Something's going wrong with all manufacturers
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 08:59   #8953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
You meant the Type R May drove? I agree with you. Also the new gen normal Civic which is told to come to India this year is also plane jane. I would not put my money there. Something's going wrong with all manufacturers
As per some of my internal sources, Honda will only display the current 10th Gen (FK) Civic sedan and Type-R at Delhi Auto Expo this month.

But for India launch, it will skip this generation and will launch the 11th Gen Civic in line with the global unveiling which will be due by then. The launch is planned sometime next year.

Hopefully the 11th gen would bring back the dual dashboard layout as already pointed by you, this one looks plane jane and non sporty.

Atleast it should compete with the Octavia vRS in styling department, if not in engine specs (most probably the retuned R18 and 1.6L iDTEC will be offered).
Old 3rd February 2018, 05:59   #8954
Senior - BHPian

Given the sales and acceptance it has got, the 10th gen is likely to complete its 5 years stint unlike the 9th. So the next generation will not be due until 2021(2016 +5) or so.

The Type-R is a real stunner in real life though, and hopefully makes it to our market.
Old 3rd February 2018, 06:58   #8955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
hopefully makes it to our market.
With that kind of power to tap, and our current infrastructure and congestion, I pray that Honda doesn't bring it here. Other than some track days fun it'd be worthless and dangerous on the wrong hands in our roads. Of course you will have the bragging rights.

Plus miniscule sales and obscene pricing will not make it viable either.

Most Viewed