Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2018, 17:13   #9031

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hi All,

I am following this thread for a long time and finally ended up buying a used Civic that was previously owned and registered in the name of a firm. The car was transferred within the firm and I became the third owner. I took the car at 52K Kms on the ODO and today the car has clocked 87K.

The car has always run on Mobil 1 and everytime it hits IGNITE (where I always get trusted service and all issues attended to) it comes back in a new better form. I am not sure how many of you in Chennai would have visited IGNITE the Garage in ECR. They do a fantabulous job and all the people inside are car lovers.

Below are the list of parts and other enhancements that I added / replaced so far

Enhancements

- Tyres upgrade to Michelin 205/65/ R15. The car sat slightly higher and did not hit the underbelly in a few bumps which usually hit.
-Installed a decent HD reverse parking camera and a separate screen. Did not want to replace the Stock Music System
-Replaced all bulbs in the Headlamps with Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs
-Replaced the Fog Lamps with Philips LED Fog H8. The cornering is more comfortable after the upgrade
-Philips DRL Installed

Replacement parts:
- Radiator Cooling fan changed
- Torque Rod above the engine mount on the driver side replaced
- Clutch assembly recently replaced at 83K Service
- Brake pads and rotors replaced to Brembo. Does a fabulous job when braking at high speeds and easy handling

Issues that need attention:

-AC Fan developed a mild shake and causes vibration. My Service Expert, Raghav from Ignite on ECR has advised me to run with it till it causes more vibration
-Engine mount and transmission mount need a replacement ASAP as i get bad rattling sound during the pick up
-Suspension is getting bad and Raghav has suggested me to do a full replacement as the suspension is all old and will go bad after another 10K run.
-Steering rack and Pump have developed a minor leak

Here comes the Question.
Is it OK to run with Civic and do all the expensive part replacements or sell it someone who will love this car ahead and settle down for a new car?
Would be great if I can get some advise.

Looking at the current market, cars have become expensive and spending more than 15 lakhs to get something close to the comfort of the Civic is not sounding nice to me.

I admire all the vivid Civic lovers here and it is a great thread to follow for first time Civic owners
Old 3rd April 2018, 19:33   #9032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHURCHIL View Post

-AC Fan developed a mild shake and causes vibration. My Service Expert, Raghav from Ignite on ECR has advised me to run with it till it causes more vibration
-Engine mount and transmission mount need a replacement ASAP as i get bad rattling sound during the pick up
-Suspension is getting bad and Raghav has suggested me to do a full replacement as the suspension is all old and will go bad after another 10K run.

Here comes the Question.
Is it OK to run with Civic and do all the expensive part replacements or sell it someone who will love this car ahead and settle down for a new car?

Looking at the current market, cars have become expensive and spending more than 15 lakhs to get something close to the comfort of the Civic is not sounding nice to me.

I admire all the vivid Civic lovers here and it is a great thread to follow for first time Civic owners
Power steering pump and rack leak is a known issue. Both of which can be overhauled and fixed easily.

Same with the engine mounts.

As far as the Suspension is concerned I don't think it will need a full replacement. Mostly it will be just the struts or a couple of ball joints/bushes.

Civic looks so good when compared to all these ugly looking compact sedans which cost almost 10lacs. Yes, the maintenance cost is slightly on the higher side due to poor fuel efficiency and expensive spares but totally worth it.

I too bought a used '07 civic few months ago as a second car and I am in the process of restoring it. Mine is an AT and the reverse gear isn't working. Planning to order the transmission overhaul kit from US and fix it.
Old 3rd April 2018, 21:04   #9033
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I am following this thread for a long time and finally ended up buying a used Civic that was previously owned and registered in the name of a firm. The car was transferred within the firm and I became the third owner. I took the car at 52K Kms on the ODO and today the car has clocked 87K.

The car has always run on Mobil 1 and everytime it hits IGNITE (where I always get trusted service and all issues attended to) it comes back in a new better form. I am not sure how many of you in Chennai would have visited IGNITE the Garage in ECR. They do a fantabulous job and all the people inside are car lovers.

Below are the list of parts and other enhancements that I added / replaced so far

Enhancements

- Tyres upgrade to Michelin 205/65/ R15. The car sat slightly higher and did not hit the underbelly in a few bumps which usually hit.
-Installed a decent HD reverse parking camera and a separate screen. Did not want to replace the Stock Music System
-Replaced all bulbs in the Headlamps with Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs
-Replaced the Fog Lamps with Philips LED Fog H8. The cornering is more comfortable after the upgrade
-Philips DRL Installed

Replacement parts:
- Brake pads and rotors replaced to Brembo. Does a fabulous job when braking at high speeds and easy handling

Here comes the Question.

I own a civic MT, it has taken much less in maintenance/upkeep compared to my 2010 swift diesel per/km (in 35k kms).
I feel cars like that do not come very often these days. I plan to keep mine any day rather than invest in a new 1 million rupee car & get half of what civic offers overall.

Suggest you to get some suspension spacers to avoid under body scraps under full load & keep enjoying the beauty. Put in a nice exhaust, air intake, spoiler, new paint if you should. It sure will make more heads turn than already are, and your decision to hold would be justified.

Last edited by Adi22 : 3rd April 2018 at 21:13.
Old 4th April 2018, 19:08   #9034
BHPian

Quote:

Replacement parts:
Hi,

Could I have some more details on the clutch replacement that is done? My 2008 Civic VMT will be due for clutch works soon and I am in the process of finalizing to go the HASS way or the FNG way.

Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 19:33   #9035

The Clutch is an OEM part from Honda Distributor and it was fitted @ Ignite the Garage. The clutch assembly includes the Pressure plate and Slave Cylinder. The Transmission Fluid was also replaced. I spent close to 28K for the whole service which was general service that usually costs me 10K (since I use Mobil1 fully synthetic oil). If I am right the clutch assembly change will cost you 15 to 16K and plus INR1600 for transmission oil replacement. The flywheel was scored slightly for smoothness and better grip of the clutch.
Old 4th April 2018, 19:38   #9036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Clutch is an OEM part from Honda Distributor and it was fitted @ Ignite the Garage. The clutch assembly includes the Pressure plate and Slave Cylinder. The Transmission Fluid was also replaced. I spent close to 28K for the whole service which was general service that usually costs me 10K (since I use Mobil1 fully synthetic oil). If I am right the clutch assembly change will cost you 15 to 16K and plus INR1600 for transmission oil replacement. The flywheel was scored slightly for smoothness and better grip of the clutch.
A clutch change with exedy, the OEM replacement part will cost 5K for friction and pressure plate, another 1.5K for release bearing and 2.5K labor. All in all the replacement should be under 10K.
Old 4th April 2018, 19:57   #9037

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
A clutch change with exedy, the OEM replacement part will cost 5K for friction and pressure plate, another 1.5K for release bearing and 2.5K labor. All in all the replacement should be under 10K.
I will revisit my bill and would prefer to give the particulars. Pls excuse me if I have quoted wrong figures here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi22 View Post
I own a civic MT, it has taken much less in maintenance/upkeep compared to my 2010 swift diesel per/km (in 35k kms).
I feel cars like that do not come very often these days. I plan to keep mine any day rather than invest in a new 1 million rupee car & get half of what civic offers overall.

Suggest you to get some suspension spacers to avoid under body scraps under full load & keep enjoying the beauty. Put in a nice exhaust, air intake, spoiler, new paint if you should. It sure will make more heads turn than already are, and your decision to hold would be justified.
Thank you Adi. But is not about the spacers. The spacer do get bouncy. My suspension dampers are weak so it would need replacement. I am a big fan of the Civic in body kit and other add-ons but i kind of feel the stock is more easy to drive around. I will though consider your suggestion to give it a new paint job.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 5th April 2018 at 12:01. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 5th April 2018, 09:10   #9038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
That's the reason I suggest Amazon actually, industrybuying's reputation is not yet established as a source of genuine parts and spares for cars.

Mobil 1 synthetic is a very good oil and you won't go wrong. Also, since you say oil level dropped check for leaks.

When I heard sloshing noise in my Palio it was water accumalated in one of the door assemblies. The drain hole was blocked and rain water collected. I removed the blockage and the water gushed out. Check all doors.

The second thing to check is the air conditioning drain pipe for blockage and water/condensate accumulation.
I know about the door drains but they were clear.
something strange happened yesterday. I was driving and suddenly hot water drained out from the vent next to the clutch. I stopped to check but everything worked perfectly post that. And the water sloshing sound was gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post

Wondering why they are not retailing from traditional brick and mortar shelves (most popular way in case of engine oils) even after investing so much in ATL branding.
It is strange that it's not easy to source. I've switched to Mobil1 and I'm pretty happy.
Old 5th April 2018, 10:34   #9039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I know about the door drains but they were clear.
something strange happened yesterday. I was driving and suddenly hot water drained out from the vent next to the clutch. I stopped to check but everything worked perfectly post that. And the water sloshing sound was gone.
You mean the gearbox vent? Or inside the bell housing? Did you drive through a puddle of water? Wondering where the water accumulated.
Old 5th April 2018, 17:12   #9040

Quote:
Hi,

I went back through my service records and figured out the parts that were replaced were Clutch assembly - Pressure plate, Cover house Assembly with release bearing. The cost was INR 12,345. I was not charged for reconditioning the Flywheel. The transmission fluid in the gear box was fully replaced and that costed me INR 962 (385 per litre).
So I am not sure if the cost is high.
I usually prefer the workshop for the qualiy of work they do. I have not revisited them like my earlier local work shops for the same issue.
Old 9th April 2018, 21:10   #9041
BHPian

Quote:
Hey! Impressive.
Where did you get those details from. Does your service manual which you mentioned that you have has all these?
Dear laluks, and all,

Going OT here. My apologies. I request guidance please.

Since the last car service, every time my Civic's engine stalls in traffic and gets switched off, both rear view mirrors fold by themselves immediately.

Then when I switch the ignition back on the mirrors do not unfold. Not even when I attempt with the switches given in the RHS armrest.

The only option I have is to manhandle the mirrors into proper position.

BTW, the mirror motor is fine and works perfectly at all other times.

What could be wrong?
Old 10th April 2018, 02:01   #9042
BHPian

Hi Guys

Can anyone here suggest why would the P.S oil would flow out of the reservoir? Recently I moved my car in the parking area after being parked at the same spot for two days. I moved my car for about few meters. After switching off the engine I thought of checking the PS oil level and to my surprise the PS fluid was gushing out of the reservoir like anything. I think all this while when I was thinking that the PS rack was leaking it was not from the rack itself.
Old 10th April 2018, 06:18   #9043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Guys

Can anyone here suggest why would the P.S oil would flow out of the reservoir? Recently I moved my car in the parking area after being parked at the same spot for two days. I moved my car for about few meters. After switching off the engine I thought of checking the PS oil level and to my surprise the PS fluid was gushing out of the reservoir like anything. I think all this while when I was thinking that the PS rack was leaking it was not from the rack itself.
Did you notice any air bubbles or froth in the reservoir ?
Old 10th April 2018, 19:33   #9044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Guys

If in case there are bubbles or froth in the reservoir (as pointed out by intercooled) when the engine is on, it could be some malfunction issue with the PS pump as other bhpians have mentioned couple of posts back in this forum.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 00:28   #9045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Did you notice any air bubbles or froth in the reservoir ?

Hi interc00led,

Yes I do see them in the reservoir, however I did have Honda remove air from the PS system sometime last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
If in case there are bubbles or froth in the reservoir (as pointed out by intercooled) when the engine is on, it could be some malfunction issue with the PS pump as other bhpians have mentioned couple of posts back in this forum.

The PS pump in my car had a leak. I tried getting it fixed twice but my mechanic couldn't fix it. In fact every time the car went for getting the issue fixed it got worse, on my third try the steering was rock hard was making loud funny noise so I gave the car to Honda got the air removed and have been topping up the fluid when required. Few months back I saw my car dripping PS oil while running so gave it to my mechanic again who confirmed it to be a rack issue this time since the entire boot of rack on the right hand was dipped in oil. Now I think the rack actually does not have a leak and it is the fluid gushing out of the reservoir reaching the boot. But really don't know how to get it fixed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks