Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2019, 00:25   #9346
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashish View Post
On diagnosing the problem at my FNG, it appears that the starter motor's pinion/Bendix gear (not sure about the correct term) is slipping.
Why not replace it with an aftermarket high torque reduction gear starter?
Nippondenso makes a wide range of direct replacement starters.

Any competent mechanic can do this for you. (Some of them require a small tweak to the solenoid).
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 09:08   #9347
BHPian

I am facing gear shifting issue with my 2008 Civic. Its not smooth as it used to be. Mostly I find it bit hard to shift to 1st, 2nd and reverse. Could the problem be with gearbox or clutch?. I will also get it checked at my FNG once, but just to have some idea before I do it.

Edit - Also I notice that while depressing clutch I hear a nondescript sound.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 5th June 2019 at 09:18.
Old 5th June 2019, 12:08   #9348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Why not replace it with an aftermarket high torque reduction gear starter?
Nippondenso makes a wide range of direct replacement starters.
I was not aware of the high torque reduction gear starter until I read your post and googled for more information.

Further, I did try to contact the Denso(OE manufacturer for Honda Starter motor) suppliers in Mumbai for an aftermarket starter but nobody had it in stock. The spare part shops in and around my place were offering me an imported unit for 6-6.5K so I thought it is best to get it replaced through Honda for around 7K.
Kashish is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 15:20   #9349
BHPian

hello civic fans, mine is 2007 VAT with 180K done so far.. I am facing battery problem in car.. its draining overnight..battery is 2 year old amaron and I gave it to them for testing and it came okay..honda told me to change alternator and all for 30k or something.. so I took to local electrician and he checked the alternator, replaced some internal components like winding which worn out and doesn't make proper contact.. it seemed to work for a like 50kms then battery drained again when parked.. I charge it up again and it will drain overnight and I am fed up with this daily exercise..The charging system is working and battery is showing around 14V.. what may be the problem? There might be rats in my area.. If so what are the chances they messed up the wiring? Any idea?

I am at Bangalore J.P. Nagar and would be really good if anyone knows any good auto electricians or workshop who can check the wiring or rectify this battery draining problem.

There is Magnum Honda near my place and I took the car there once to check PS leak problem (common in civic), but they messed up my car totally when I didn't want to do the 1L+ PS pump and rack replacement.. So dont want to go there again
Old 10th June 2019, 16:12   #9350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeTorque View Post
hello civic fans, mine is 2007 VAT with 180K done so far.. I am facing battery problem in car.. its draining overnight..battery is 2 year old amaron and I gave it to them for testing and it came okay..honda told me to change alternator and all for 30k or something..
Did you install any 3rd party accessories (dashcam, stereo etc) which might be draining your battery if improperly installed?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 16:19   #9351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeTorque View Post
hello civic fans, mine is 2007 VAT with 180K done so far.. I am facing battery problem in car.. its draining overnight..battery is 2 year old amaron and I gave it to them for testing and it came okay..honda told me to change alternator and all for 30k or something.. so I took to local electrician and he checked the alternator, replaced some internal components like winding which worn out and doesn't make proper contact.. it seemed to work for a like 50kms then battery drained again when parked..
Disconnect your battery at night and next morning connect it again and see if the car starts.If it does your battery is good and i would then start isolating fuse by fuse to locate which zone has a issue. Once you are able to isolate the problem area,its then easier to identify the culprit.
scorpian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 16:22   #9352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Did you install any 3rd party accessories (dashcam, stereo etc) which might be draining your battery if improperly installed?
I installed a sub-amp 3 years ago from a good audio store. it's tapped directly from the battery. but anyway it's 3 years and this issue started a month ago.. let me try to remove that amplifier cable from the battery terminal and see if that is causing problem. Thanks for your inputs
Old 11th June 2019, 10:06   #9353
Senior - BHPian

I get a feeling it's the battery. Like another member suggested, see if battery is holding charge without load. I guess you can push a warranty claim.

I also see that you had sent it for a test beforehand, but still some how I feel it's battery. Otherwise, why should it behave like this, if nothing changed in the way car battery was used prior with amp, dash cam , charger whatever.
Old 15th June 2019, 14:11   #9354
BHPian

Team, I understand this is not the CR V forum to discuss but need your opinion on the purchase. A friend of mine is going abroad and selling his 2006 CNG fitted CR V Auto. He approached me to buy it and I found the ride very comfortable during the test drive I had. No major scratches on the exterior and the car looks neat. Any problems using CNG on Honda's? Shall I go for the deal? The price asked is not that much. Please let me know your expert opinions. I was looking for a SUV for nearby trekking from Pune. Thank you!
Old 15th June 2019, 16:03   #9355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_hurkat View Post
Team, I understand this is not the CR V forum to discuss but need your opinion on the purchase. A friend of mine is going abroad and selling his 2006 CNG fitted CR V Auto. He approached me to buy it and I found the ride very comfortable during the test drive I had. No major scratches on the exterior and the car looks neat. Any problems using CNG on Honda's? Shall I go for the deal? The price asked is not that much. Please let me know your expert opinions. I was looking for a SUV for nearby trekking from Pune. Thank you!
My trusted FNG guy is telling me that CNGs never go good with Honda's. True? Anyone wants to share their own experience? Thank you.
Old 16th June 2019, 08:07   #9356
BHPian

I have been running my 2008 accord on CNG. Its been over 7 years and the car still runs very smooth on cng. I would recommend you for the CRV but have the CNG kit and all the hoses tested.
Old 16th June 2019, 10:59   #9357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_hurkat View Post
My trusted FNG guy is telling me that CNGs never go good with Honda's. True? Anyone wants to share their own experience? Thank you.
If you really love to drive avoid the cng. This is coming from a ex-Civic owner who had a cng kit fitted in his Civic. There are other ways to reduce fuel cost eg by offering car pool rides if you drive daily to office. That being said if you must get the cng fitted car make sure you have good support ie CNG FNG to take care of the car.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 13:54   #9358

My 8th gen Civic has finally started showing sings of ageing.
During the last checkup at ASS, a power steering oil/fluid leak has been detected from the rack, and I was told that the Power Steering rack needs to be changed. ASS at Bangalore quoted around 80k for the change :(
Any idea if the rack can be rebuilt or repaired? What are my options to get this leak fixed without resorting to expensive ASS solution?
The leak is getting worse, the reservoir gets almost empty every 100km.
Old 23rd June 2019, 09:44   #9359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivc View Post
During the last checkup at ASS, a power steering oil/fluid leak has been detected from the rack, and I was told that the Power Steering rack needs to be changed. ASS at Bangalore quoted around 80k for the change :(
Any idea if the rack can be rebuilt or repaired? What are my options to get this leak fixed without resorting to expensive ASS solution?
Yes the rack can be repaired. Honda only wants your hard earned money. I have repaired my Power steering Pump three times and have had the rack overhauled twice over the 7 years and 75k kms covered in my used Civic. Make sure to go to a decent garage. The seals are the only things which need replacement generally as they leak with age. It cost me 6.5k for a rack repair in 2016 at a FNG. It should cost around same +-1k here and there. If they quote anything more than 10k then you need to look elsewhere. Have a look at the Team BHP directory for a good FNG near your location. Make sure you keep an eye on the fluid level so that the Power steeing pump does not run dry till you get the issue fixed.
Old 23rd June 2019, 12:06   #9360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivc View Post
My 2007 Civic SAT was diagnosed to have leaking power steering rack. My FNG with the steering rack repair guy confirmed that the damage is significant and there is no guarantee that a repair job will work. I got my FNG to source the rack and fix it for me. In total, it costed me Rs 32 k. It has been 3 months since than and it seems to be holding fine.
civic-dk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks