Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2022, 06:18   #9841
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric View Post

No AUX? I presume your Civic is an 'S' variant. Probably another retrofit added to your list.
Please let me know the software you're using to burn the sound files.

Nono, I use the CDs in my dad's Maruti Versa, so I have been burning them for a while right now. Our Civic is a V variant with an AUX port, and that was a lifesaver because I cannot use the CD player anyway .

I usually use the default Windows media player to burn CDs, didn't need to get any additional software because this has been working. Also, we need to reformat the CD as one time burn only, so once we burn it, we cannot add additional songs to it, something I learnt the first time I did it.
Old 5th January 2022, 08:47   #9842
BANNED

What's the specification for power steering oil for Civic..

In Amazon, it's listing brans like waxpol and Bosch..but not sure which one is compatible
Old 5th January 2022, 12:50   #9843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
What's the specification for power steering oil for Civic
I got the below one from Amazon.in as the level was showing low after about ten years. The steering started making sounds which prompted me to check the level after it was pointed out by experts on the forum.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1fcf94b4b03d48b0a7d666048b691c19.jpeg

Cheers
Old 6th January 2022, 12:03   #9844
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I got the below one from Amazon.in as the level was showing low after about ten years. The steering started making sounds which prompted me to check the level after it was pointed out by experts on the forum.

Attachment 2254519

Cheers
I saw similar one, but cost INR 2000.. I guess the one available with HASS is about 600.
But they won't sell
Old 6th January 2022, 12:56   #9845
BHPian

@czechitaliamoto I'm selling my OEM head unit. If you plan a trip to Delhi some time in the next 4-5 months, you can buy it from me
Old 6th January 2022, 16:10   #9846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmreaper_gtr View Post
@czechitaliamoto I'm selling my OEM head unit. If you plan a trip to Delhi some time in the next 4-5 months, you can buy it from me
Hey, thanks for the heads up, but I don't think I'll be coming to Delhi anytime soon, I shall try getting the stock one fixed first.
Old 6th January 2022, 21:28   #9847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
I saw similar one, but cost INR 2000.. I guess the one available with HASS is about 600.
But they won't sell
My mechanic actually put this PS fluid(Bosch) into the PS reservoir, it actually works alright:

https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-F002H237...s%2C256&sr=8-6
Old 10th March 2022, 22:56   #9848
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Looking at picking up a 2007 April Civic S-AT in Goa.
2nd. Owner. Run 96,000 Kms. Asking Rs. 1.00L after negotiating. Transfer and Fitness and Insurance will cost me another 20K.

Did a test drive today. The car seems smooth enough though I felt the engine had a sort of "gruff" tone to it. Not exactly purring like a kitten.

A.C. was working O.K. I felt the condensor fan was noisy.

No jerking when changing gears. However, when I put the car in "S" mode and use the paddle shifts, I can get "M3" showing on the dashboard. Is this normal? Pick up was impressive for a car that is supposed to have poor low end torque.

No signs of any visible rusting. A few panels have been painted but done fairly well. This is to be expected after 15 years.

Stereo is not working at all.

Battery is 1 year old. Tyres are Yokos - 3 years old but only run 10k since fitting because of pandemic and other issues. Alloys are scratched and paint is worn off. Stepney is there but in poor condition.

I feel the rear shock absorbers are worn out as the car was hitting the stops after a high speed breaker even though I took it slow.

Queries :

1. Does the price seem O.K?

2. Can someone please tell me what gear box does this car have? I mean is it 5 speed or 6 speed or..?

3. Is it right that the paddle shifts only work in "S" mode? On my BR-V they work in "D" Mode as well.

4. Can the stereo be repaired or replaced with a normal deck? I could not see how another deck can be fitted on this huge curved dashboard.

5. Are spare parts freely available? The prices of Civic spare parts on "Boodmo" are pretty expensive. HASS quoted even more than "Boodmo" for "Accident" parts and told me they have to come from Japan???
The intention is to do one full proper service with all fluids changed at HASS and then stick to an FNG. Please keep in mind that I will not be able to take out Comprehensive Insurance as the car is 15 years old next month hence the question about "Accident" parts.

6. Would it be of any use to fit Roger AB suspension rubbers or go for a suspension spacer to increase the GC?

Guys, I have to give an answer in the next 48 hours as the Owner is leaving for the U.K. soon

Would appreciate answers to the questions above.

Many Thanks & Regards,
SS
Old 11th March 2022, 18:47   #9849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

Guys, I have to give an answer in the next 48 hours as the Owner is leaving for the U.K. soon

Many Thanks & Regards,
SS
Seems like they are trying to hurry you into making a decision.

The AT is a 5 speed. Make sure the 'D' light is not blinking while being driven which will mean there is an issue in the transmission.

Suspension parts OEM like quality is available from after market vendors.

Get the car checked at Honda dealer and not a garage guy to validate the ODO read. Expect the ODO to be false. Do not let them rush you into buying the car. Usually this is dubious unless you know the person and he is actually leaving for the UK. In this case the RTO transfer papers should be signed and be available with the seller's relatives etc beforehand.

Civic's parts at Honda are expensive and you need to know a bit of the car before getting it fixed from Honda. This thread is a valuable resource for same.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 08:03   #9850
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Queries :

1. Does the price seem O.K?

2. Can someone please tell me what gear box does this car have? I mean is it 5 speed or 6 speed or..?

3. Is it right that the paddle shifts only work in "S" mode? On my BR-V they work in "D" Mode as well.

4. Can the stereo be repaired or replaced with a normal deck? I could not see how another deck can be fitted on this huge curved dashboard.

5. Are spare parts freely available? The prices of Civic spare parts on "Boodmo" are pretty expensive. HASS quoted even more than "Boodmo" for "Accident" parts and told me they have to come from Japan???
The intention is to do one full proper service with all fluids changed at HASS and then stick to an FNG. Please keep in mind that I will not be able to take out Comprehensive Insurance as the car is 15 years old next month hence the question about "Accident" parts.

6. Would it be of any use to fit Roger AB suspension rubbers or go for a suspension spacer to increase the GC?

Many Thanks & Regards,
SS
Commenting as a owner of a 2013 Civic VAT

1) price seems.ok for the age and condition

2) This is equipped with a conventional 5 speed torque converter gearbox with paddle shifters. Please have Honda examine the gearbox and the condition of the transmission oil from.the yellow dipstick. It should be reddish in colour and not darkbrown or burnt. Also test the shifts using the kickdown while cruising for smooth downshifts as well at parking speeds while shifting from R to D for any jerks or hesitation. Usually this transmission is very reliable if not abused badly. Do check for power steering leaks ( and condition of the steering rack,pipes and pump )and the condition of the hydraulic engine mount as well to ensure it hasn't collapsed. That could be the reason for the gruffness you mentioned. Ensure that the cooling coil or AC system has no leaks since AC spares are exorbitantly priced. Better thave honda look at these before the deal.

3)The paddles work in D mode as well. You can drop a gear or two or upshift while in D mode but the computer immediately takes over after 5 seconds. In S mode , if you pull any of the paddles, it automatically takes you to manual mode wherein the car won't upshift untill you do but will downshift if your speed falls below the threshold to prevent you from stalling.

4)The head unit or the civic is extremely archaic. It would behoove you to go for a replacement or a touch screen. The entire panel around the AC will be replaced and any decent car accessories shop worth their salt will be able to help you there.

5)Spares are expensive no doubt , and if you take a car of this segement and age to Honda, you will definitely have to supervise and know what should be done and what can be overlooked. Knowing a trusted FNG is important in the long-run.

6)Some people do fit spacers on the rear but that's a personal choice, and if you're hell bent on not making it bottom out and often drive with 4 or 5 passengers. Also the seller seems to be using pressure tactics so please don't finalize the deal until you have done your due diligence and are satisfied.Good luck.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Last edited by raunaqv471 : 12th March 2022 at 08:08.
raunaqv471 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 12:31   #9851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Seems like they are trying to hurry you into making a decision.

Get the car checked at Honda dealer and not a garage guy to validate the ODO read. Expect the ODO to be false. Do not let them rush you into buying the car. Usually this is dubious unless you know the person and he is actually leaving for the UK. In this case the RTO transfer papers should be signed and be available with the seller's relatives etc beforehand.
Hi Sumeet,

Thanks for the advice.

The seller is sort of known to me. He is from the UK and is going back for medical treatment. It's genuine. They are selling all their household goods as well.

He has agreed to let me take the car to Honda on Monday where I will do a full check up.

Cheers.
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 12:35   #9852

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Looking at picking up a 2007 April Civic S-AT in Goa.
2nd. Owner. Run 96,000 Kms. Asking Rs. 1.00L after negotiating. Transfer and Fitness and Insurance will cost me another 20K.
Hi,

1. The price definitely seems reasonable for the age and condition of the car.

4. The stereo can be readily replaced and refitted with a double din touch screen. This is an easy job for any car customisation centre today. In fact, there are multiple videos on that shows this generation of Civic with custom music systems installed. If I'm not mistaken, the entire centre din panel is available for sale on multiple websites as well, just in case.

5. Spares are considerably expensive for the any Honda from the Civic, upwards. Especially so for this generation of Civic considering very minimal localised parts. Not just accident parts, but even consumables like brake pads are significantly expensive, compared to the latest Honda City or even the last gen Civic. I would suggest you to be extra careful while driving on Indian roads to avoid any accident damage, especially Headlights / Tail Lamps etc. They cost a bomb to replace.

I own an MT transmission, so I don't know much about the AT, but please do check the transmission fluid, and also any possible jerking while shifting between P, N, D, R. It would be wise to have HASS or a known mechanic take a close look at the transmission before putting down your money and a transmission failure will put you back by almost 50% of the asking price of the car.

Top Tip :

1. Low ground clearance is a perennial problem (but is half the charm of the car) for almost all Civic owners. However, for some reason, my car has only scraped its underbody twice, with a full load and a ridiculous unmarked speed breaker. I suspect the MT version has better ground clearance when compared to the AT ( Does anyone know if this is true) ? But what I do know what has significantly helped are my upgraded 215/65 R15 Yokohamas. A definite boost in ride quality and improved ground clearance. So I suggest trying out a simple tyre upgrade before investing in more expensive suspension upgrades.

2. Please have the mechanic take a close look at the PS rack. Noisy PS rack and PS fluid leaks are a trademark problem on this generation of Civic.

All the best ! I hope you get a good deal !

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th March 2022 at 12:52. Reason: For better readability, please do not quote a whole long post. Thank you!
Masterprocrasti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 17:19   #9853
BHPian

Hey Raunaqv471 & Masterprocrasti,

Thank you so much for all your inputs and advice.

Much appreciated.

So, this engine has hydraulic engine mounts and not just plain hardened rubber ones?

I also just remembered one point I had not mentioned before. The last time I started the car, I did it from outside the car. Obviously the brake pedal was not pressed but the car still started. Surely this should not happen in an Automatic car?

Thanks & Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 01:12   #9854
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Raunaqv471 & Masterprocrasti,

Thank you so much for all your inputs and advice.

Much appreciated.

So, this engine has hydraulic engine mounts and not just plain hardened rubber ones?

I also just remembered one point I had not mentioned before. The last time I started the car, I did it from outside the car. Obviously the brake pedal was not pressed but the car still started. Surely this should not happen in an Automatic car?

Thanks & Regards,
SS
The 8th gen civic has hydraulic engine mounts with oil within the rubber which helps damped the vibrations and isolate the harshness front the cabin. Its not a mechanism per se but using aftermarket mounts will increase the harshness.The way to check this is to see if the drivers side top metal extension is touching the base of the mount. There should be a gap for a 5 rupee coin. If not it indicates the mount has collapsed.

Regarding the slush box, i can confirm that the civic doesn't have a brake lock mechanism like other automatic cars. You dont need to depress the brake to start the car .The brake only needs to be pressed to shift from P to R Or N or D etc.So no issues there.

Regards,

Last edited by raunaqv471 : 14th March 2022 at 01:18.
raunaqv471 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 00:26   #9855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunaqv471 View Post
There should be a gap for a 5 rupee coin. If not it indicates the mount has collapsed.
Here is a snap of how 5 Rs. gap indicates a healthy mount easily

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post2901801 (Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos)

And laluks's detailed post on the engine mount: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...t-dos-112.html (Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos)

Quote:
I feel the rear shock absorbers are worn out as the car was hitting the stops after a high speed breaker even though I took it slow.
Rear shocks are less expensive to replace. I think ~15K for both the rear shocks. But be aware that the 2007 model still has a lousy set up and will be difficult, NOT to bottom out. Spacers will help lift that extra inch or so at the maximum, but nothing magical beyond that

Last edited by sarathlal : 15th March 2022 at 00:31.
sarathlal is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks