Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2022, 20:36   #9901
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Any recommendations for the High and Low beam lights? Planning to change the current ones and wondering whether to stick with the stock ones or are there any better choices available.
Old 8th October 2022, 16:15   #9902

Hi Cyborg,

I was going through the forum and saw your post on this. I have a 2007 civic and mine had the same issue a few years ago suddenly while driving the pedal sank to the floor with minimal brake pressure but restarting the car fixed it. This then continued to happen multiple times but the garage mechanics couldn't figure out what was wrong and honda weren't ready to take my car as this was during lockdown. Eventually one day took the garage mechanic for a long drive in the summers with the temprature around 35 degrees and turns out one of the rear brakes was semi jammed. so after a two hour drive in the heat the issue re appeared where the pedal sunk to the floor, this happens when one of the brakes gets too hot. Mine was literally burning and was smelling really bad. this happens due to rusted pistons in the brake calipers as in my case or can be due to jammed brake caliper pins. Please get your brakes checked as even when the brakes are serviced they don't bother servicing the brake pistons. There is a thread on servicing the brake pistons as well. This was a very scary issue and was a simple issue but hard to diagnose unless the car is jacked up and all the wheels are rotated manually. Please do get them checked out if you haven't.
rio1905 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 00:18   #9903
BHPian

Hi, I need some help diagnosing this problem that I have been facing with my Civic. After it has warmed up, when I have the car in gear and have released the clutch half way, the rpm used to drop and then it used to come back up after the car started moving. Nowadays, sometimes when I try this, the car just dies off after I release the clutch and when i give it any throttle input, the engine feels lethargic and dies out. I cleaned the air filter yesterday and I think it has made an improvement according to my brother but there are some other problems to be addressed.

-Sometimes after switching gear and when the engine is at a lower rpm, there are violent back and forth jerks from the engine which make us hit the clutch and stabilize it. The engine mount was changed 4 months ago but the gap has reduced, not sure if this could be the main culprit.
-At lower RPMs i hear some rattling sound before the car picks up momentum. This is heard pretty much all the time.

I have bought a transmission mount, upper torque rod to be replaced because the mechanic told the bushing had cracks in them, any suggestions to fix the above issues are welcome.

Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 00:36   #9904

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
Hi, I need some help diagnosing this problem that I have been facing with my Civic. After it has warmed up, when I have the car in gear and have released the clutch half way, the rpm used to drop and then it used to come back up after the car started moving. Nowadays, sometimes when I try this, the car just dies off after I release the clutch and when i give it any throttle input, the engine feels lethargic and dies out. I cleaned the air filter yesterday and I think it has made an improvement according to my brother but there are some other problems to be addressed.

-Sometimes after switching gear and when the engine is at a lower rpm, there are violent back and forth jerks from the engine which make us hit the clutch and stabilize it. The engine mount was changed 4 months ago but the gap has reduced, not sure if this could be the main culprit.
-At lower RPMs i hear some rattling sound before the car picks up momentum. This is heard pretty much all the time.

I have bought a transmission mount, upper torque rod to be replaced because the mechanic told the bushing had cracks in them, any suggestions to fix the above issues are welcome.

Thanks
Sounds like a clutch issue to me has it been changed? maybe the flywheel needs to replaced or skimmed. Although of course it could be something completely else. I would recommend you get it diagnosed at honda as in my experience their diagnosis is more on point than other garages/mechanics before getting any work done on the car regarding this. You can also get the rattling sound checked.
Old 17th October 2022, 18:26   #9905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
-At lower RPMs i hear some rattling sound before the car picks up momentum.
Thanks
Does it happens at idle speed or while crawling in traffic? Get the car for a HDS scanning (Honda diagnostic) and see if any issue. It could need tuning. How many kms on the ODO. The spark plugs could need cleaning/changing if greater than 100k kms on the odo. Also the ignition coils could be looked into.
Old 17th October 2022, 23:04   #9906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Does it happens at idle speed or while crawling in traffic? Get the car for a HDS scanning (Honda diagnostic) and see if any issue. It could need tuning. How many kms on the ODO. The spark plugs could need cleaning/changing if greater than 100k kms on the odo. Also the ignition coils could be looked into.
It doesn't happen while idling, it happens sometimes when we crawl. The engine dying out issue is noticed only when we are moving really slowly, for example trying to park.

We have just hit 80k on the odo, will look into the spark plugs as well. Also, what do you think about using fuel additives like injector cleaners? Do you think they will make a difference or this will seriously need some looking into?

Last edited by CzechItaliaMoto : 17th October 2022 at 23:06.
Old 17th October 2022, 23:06   #9907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio1905 View Post
Sounds like a clutch issue to me has it been changed? maybe the flywheel needs to replaced or skimmed. Although of course it could be something completely else. I would recommend you get it diagnosed at honda as in my experience their diagnosis is more on point than other garages/mechanics before getting any work done on the car regarding this. You can also get the rattling sound checked.
Thanks, I'll do that.
Old 17th October 2022, 23:31   #9908
Distinguished - BHPian

Hope the fuel quality is ok and the engine idles smoothly around 750 RPM after reaching operating temperature. I would get the spark plugs cleaned and ignition coil tested. You can also try disconnecting the battery for a while to ’reset’ the ECU. If electrical side is ok, then a dirty throttle body could be a suspect.
As Sumeet says, Honda diagnostic scan can also help point out any error in the system, especially if it’s related to the electronics.

Do let us know.
Old 17th October 2022, 23:34   #9909

The additives really don't help if you want to get the injectors cleaned it is better to get them done physically from a mechanic. If the injectors don't have any issues then you can use an additive i guess. My civic has done 80k kms as well and it's a 2007. I have never had the injectors cleaned. I have only had the spark plugs cleaned for my satisfaction. If the ignition coil or spark plugs go bad usually the engine light does come on but sometimes it doesn't so you will have to get that checked . has the clutch on your's ever been changed. I am mostly positive from my experience that it is the clutch. Also the lower rpm rattling sound does remind me that the mount does cause this issue. is it a very faint rattle but you can't feel the vibration or is it a rattle and a vibration at low rpm while leaving the clutch. If it is a vibration it is usually the mount. Does your clutch pedal feel heavy? My car has slight jerks on very low rpm as well. The mechanic actually reccomended me to get the clutch flywheel changed or skimmed. As even though my clutch set has been replaced (An exedy one) the flywheel hasn't been touched. I've also never had the fuel filter replaced so was thinking of getting that done in the next service from honda.

Also just wanted to put it out there for the civic owners and since i have a 2007 civic maybe y'all with the newer ones might face this in the future. The tachometer on our cars actually controls a lot of things including starting the ac compressor. My ac compressor would randomly die and eventually just stopped working altoether. It took me a solid two weeks to try and figure out the problem and countless mechanics told me that the compressor needs to replaced but before doing that i thought just showing it to honda would be a good idea. The expert advisor at deccan honda pune without opening the car told me that the tachometer is at fault and honda can replace it but gave me an idea to get it repaired from outside. Got it checked and aparently the tachometer had a short in it. Got it fixed and voila the ac started working again and has been working without issues for 6 months. This just proves that FNG mechanics literally just fluke diagnostics on half the issues so please be aware. ( i actually spent a good 2-3k getting this issue diagnosed and getting ac gas filled and compressor oil changed). The guy at deccan honda told me it is a common civic issue but i didn't see anyone post it on this thread so thought would post it here.

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th October 2022 at 00:12. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
rio1905 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 12:54   #9910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hope the fuel quality is ok and the engine idles smoothly around 750 RPM after reaching operating temperature. I would get the spark plugs cleaned and ignition coil tested. You can also try disconnecting the battery for a while to ’reset’ the ECU. If electrical side is ok, then a dirty throttle body could be a suspect.
As Sumeet says, Honda diagnostic scan can also help point out any error in the system, especially if it’s related to the electronics.

Do let us know.
We have been using XP95 for almost a year now. I hope that does not seem to be the issue. However, I did try doing something to the mount because the nut was cross-tightened by the mechanic who fixed it. I aligned it properly and the rattle seems to have reduced by a lot now. I still haven't tested it when the engine has warmed up but so far things are looking good. I will be taking the car to the garage this week to fix some other things, will let you guys know what has been done.
Old 19th October 2022, 12:57   #9911
BHPian

Quote:
T is it a very faint rattle but you can't feel the vibration or is it a rattle and a vibration at low rpm while leaving the clutch. If it is a vibration it is usually the mount. Does your clutch pedal feel heavy? My car has slight jerks on very low rpm as well. The mechanic actually reccomended me to get the clutch flywheel changed or skimmed. .
My clutch pedal does not feel heavy, the clutch set has also never been changed. What you have said is correct though, it is a rattle/vibration at low rpm after leaving the clutch, but disappears after that. I will get the car thoroughly checked including spark plugs and the throttle body. Thanks!
Old 19th October 2022, 13:33   #9912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also just wanted to put it out there for the civic owners and since i have a 2007 civic maybe y'all with the newer ones might face this in the future. The tachometer on our cars actually controls a lot of things including starting the ac compressor. My ac compressor would randomly die and eventually just stopped working altoether. It took me a solid two weeks to try and figure out the problem and countless mechanics told me that the compressor needs to replaced but before doing that i thought just showing it to honda would be a good idea. The expert advisor at deccan honda pune without opening the car told me that the tachometer is at fault and honda can replace it but gave me an idea to get it repaired from outside. Got it checked and aparently the tachometer had a short in it. Got it fixed and voila the ac started working again and has been working without issues for 6 months. This just proves that FNG mechanics literally just fluke diagnostics on half the issues so please be aware. ( i actually spent a good 2-3k getting this issue diagnosed and getting ac gas filled and compressor oil changed). The guy at deccan honda told me it is a common civic issue but i didn't see anyone post it on this thread so thought would post it here.
Yes, +1 to above. Actually the tachometer houses the Gauge & Body Control Module in the Civic. Any issues with it and you can see weird electronic behavior. Regarding AC failure due to the GCM, what actually happens is that it stops reading the outside temperature and as a result shuts down the automatic climate control unit thereby disabling the AC compressor (but not the blower fan). There are many other weird electronic faults which may surface if there is any issue with the GCM/ BCM.

Would also request you to share from where did you get the tacho repaired and the associated costs. In my opinion, there are very few who can diagnose such issues- leave alone repairing it.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 20:43   #9913

Quote:
Yes, +1 to above. Actually the tachometer houses the Gauge & Body Control Module in the Civic. Any issues with it and you can see weird electronic behavior. Regarding AC failure due to the GCM, what actually happens is that it stops reading the outside temperature and as a result shuts down the automatic climate control unit thereby disabling the AC compressor (but not the blower fan). There are many other weird electronic faults which may surface if there is any issue with the GCM/ BCM.

Would also request you to share from where did you get the tacho repaired and the associated costs. In my opinion, there are very few who can diagnose such issues- leave alone repairing it.

Regards,
Saket
So I got it repaired from pune itself it's this place called bombay meter works. https://www.justdial.com/Pune/Bombay...720-K7K2_BZDET. The uncle who works there is a very nice guy even though the shop is very small he was really professional in removing the meter by himself and diagnosing it and fixing it within an hour. The only issue is that usually he is very busy due to the insane amount of 2 wheelers in pune and their meters keep getting messed up so he is always fixing those. He told me that people come to him to tamper meters for cars and one should be very careful while purchasing a car as the reading can be changed easily even on the civic apparently. Also you are right the meter stopped detecting the outside temperature when the compressor went off, also the headlight indicator had stopped working.
Old 19th October 2022, 21:00   #9914

Quote:
Also just to add sorry i missed the cost part in my first reply. HASS quoted me 15k to replace the tacho i think i paid around 2k to get it repaired. I have also been having issues with the fuel gauge on my speedometer was thinking to get it repaired from there only once i find the time to. Also i had a another question the exhaust of my civic seems to be touching the breakers way more often especially the mid pipe region. Is the hanger at issue or maybe the rear coil springs. Visually the height of the car seems perfectly ok.
Old 19th October 2022, 23:34   #9915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also just to add sorry i missed the cost part in my first reply. HASS quoted me 15k to replace the tacho i think i paid around 2k to get it repaired. I have also been having issues with the fuel gauge on my speedometer was thinking to get it repaired from there only once i find the time to. Also i had a another question the exhaust of my civic seems to be touching the breakers way more often especially the mid pipe region. Is the hanger at issue or maybe the rear coil springs. Visually the height of the car seems perfectly ok.
Thanks for the information regarding the electronics repair.
Regarding the car bottoming out, I would say that the coil springs of Civic are real soft and hence compress very easily, especially under load. Without load, Car’s height may look normal. The effective solution is to use spring spacers which make them little harder to compress when placed in the coil.
If you suspect something wrong with the silencer then carry a visual under body inspection.

Last edited by saket77 : 19th October 2022 at 23:52.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks