Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2023, 15:26   #9976
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSam View Post
I took it over to a painter I know (This guy's work is magic!)
Great job there buddy ! Mine is a 2010 VMT as well. I am looking for a good painter for a spruce up. Which paint shop is this ? All the best with your ride.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 11:43   #9977
BHPian

Hey swiftnfurious & rr_zen, his name is Lawrence, his place is called Elwin Motors, located close to the Thiruvanmiyur RTO. His phone number is 9841672671. He does paintwork for a lot of premium used car shops and detailing studios.
RunSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 03:52   #9978
BHPian

Honda Civic 2009 - 85000 km update

Our Civic had gone for its annual service on May 1st 2023 @ Engineering Exponent, Hoodi. The following things were done-
  • Engine oil change (Motul 5W-30 ECO TEC PLUS)
  • Air filter(Denso Cool Gear)
  • Oil filter (Bosch)
  • Radiator flush(Wurth concentrate) as the prev owner had used green coolant instead of blue
  • Brake bleeding(Textar DOT4)
  • Clutch system bleeding(Textar DOT4)
  • Serpentine belt replacement(Fenner)
  • iVTEC solenoid gasket replacement

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-pxl_20230501_081127898.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-cvc-edit-1.png

Our car had a pretty bad oil spill a month prior to this, after everything we narrowed it down to the VTEC solenoid gasket going bad. This gasket was not available readily in Bangalore or via Boodmo, so we had to buy it off of eBay. It costed lesser, and was a genuine Honda OEM part (15826-RNA-A01).

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-solenoid-gasket.png

After all this was done, belt was replaced, and while we were getting ready to leave, there was a strong vibration coming from the engine bay at higher rpms(4000). We decided to tell the guys at EE to check it out, and as it turns out the belt tensioner spring had become weak, so we had to replace that. Came home, placed the order on eBay for a Continental belt tensioner for the Civic, and now we had to wait for the second visit.

VISIT 2

We had decided to change the belt tensioner along with the VTEC gasket for the second time(The quality of Honda spares has gone down, the new gasket had developed a tear and had to be replaced as well.)

This time, they also used some Anabond around the gasket so that it acts as a failsafe when the gasket goes bad.

To get to the belt tensioner, the alternator had to be removed, and that gives us some space to get to the one bolt that holds it in place.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-belt-tensioner.png

The original belt tensioner seems to have been made in Czechoslovakia, which was interesting to find.

During this visit, we had also decided to replace one of the torn steering rack boots. Since Honda suppliers on Boodmo are very hard to deal with, and they have a waiting period for over 3 months, I decided to try something different. I ordered the steering boot kit for the Maruti Kizashi, as it seemed to be the same size. Fortunately, that gamble worked, and the boot seems to fit perfectly.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-boot-7254132/

We also noticed the CV joint outer boot was cut on our Civic, so currently hunting for parts to fix that. Will update this thread as soon as that is also fixed.

Ultimately, the car feels really good to drive now, and is smooth as butter. We will be keeping this car until its EOL, which is a no brainer at this point. The Civic brings a smile to my face every time I drive it!

Thanks for reading!
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 08:04   #9979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
Honda Civic 2009 - 85000 km update

Our car had a pretty bad oil spill a month prior to this, after everything we narrowed it down to the VTEC solenoid gasket going bad. This gasket was not available readily in Bangalore or via Boodmo, so we had to buy it off of eBay. It costed lesser, and was a genuine Honda OEM part (15826-RNA-A01).
I would check head cover gasket\seal as well. My Honda Accord is exhibiting the same behaviour , it every so slightly leaking oil. I can see residue oil around head cover. Once I get that gasket replaced( I have the OEM part) and if the issue persists, yes , then the next one is going to be VTEC solenoid gasket. High mileage car, and one cant get around hardened rubber seals.

Quote:
After all this was done, belt was replaced, and while we were getting ready to leave, there was a strong vibration coming from the engine bay at higher rpms(4000). We decided to tell the guys at EE to check it out, and as it turns out the belt tensioner spring had become weak, so we had to replace that. Came home, placed the order on eBay for a Continental belt tensioner for the Civic, and now we had to wait for the second visit.
Belt tensioner and serpentine V belt replacement go hand in hand. Last I checked, I think the OEM make for the belt is Bando.

Quote:
Since Honda suppliers on Boodmo are very hard to deal with, and they have a waiting period for over 3 months.
Thanks for reading!
I have practically given up on Boodmo for my Honda car parts replacement; whether its the usual consumables or the off beat parts. Whether you try to order an OEM filter or an off beat part. The wait time in unrealistic 62 days and even if one were to wait for the same, they still wont fullfill the order.Therefore, I have resorted to a Singapore based seller for my car parts. I have recently procured OEM parts from them like Air, Oil, cabin filters. I have additionally procured oil drain bolt, ATF filter, and head cover gasket \ seal. I am just waiting for a pending order with boodmo for an AFM left inner fender lining and if they didn't fullfill the same, I will have to switch to the Singapore seller for the same. The only rub is, parts become expensive and not to forget, the import duty.
ritedhawan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 10:21   #9980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
I would check head cover gasket\seal as well. My Honda Accord is exhibiting the same behaviour , it every so slightly leaking oil. I can see residue oil around head cover. Once I get that gasket replaced( I have the OEM part) and if the issue persists, yes , then the next one is going to be VTEC solenoid gasket. High mileage car, and one cant get around hardened rubber seals.
Yes, but my head cover gasket seems to be fine. The only part where I can see a bit of oil is on the block, which is exactly where the Camshaft plug exists. I have ordered that as well, hopefully things are alright after that.

I also think you should replace the VTEC gasket along with your head gasket. My old gasket was so hard that it just snapped into pieces when we tried to squeeze it.

Last edited by CzechItaliaMoto : 25th June 2023 at 10:25.
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 13:02   #9981
Senior - BHPian

Hello friends, need help with an issue am facing due to rat menace. I had last taken the car out over the weekend and after 4 days cranked up the engine yesterday. To my surprise, there was a violent shudder accompanied by a strong hissing noise. I immediately opened the bonnet and found out the noise coming from behind the engine. Upon closer observation, I find that the breather hose has been chewed away by rats. Switched off the engine immediately. There is no other indication. Even the check engine light seems to come on and go as usual.

Have alerted my FNG. Let me know what has to be done (in addition to replacing the tube, of course) and any cost estimates. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic1.jpeg  

Old 8th July 2023, 22:05   #9982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Hello friends, need help with an issue am facing due to rat menace. I had last taken the car out over the weekend and after 4 days cranked up the engine yesterday. To my surprise, there was a violent shudder accompanied by a strong hissing noise. I immediately opened the bonnet and found out the noise coming from behind the engine. Upon closer observation, I find that the breather hose has been chewed away by rats. Switched off the engine immediately. There is no other indication. Even the check engine light seems to come on and go as usual.

Have alerted my FNG. Let me know what has to be done (in addition to replacing the tube, of course) and any cost estimates. Thanks in advance.
That's the PCV hose. You should go for replacement + check the wiring for the oil pressure switch located below the PCV valve. Rats may have got to that as well. It connects to the VTEC solenoid.

Although, that does not explain the shudder. The PCV hose being completely removed only results in a hissing sound, nothing more than that(from my experience of having the hose off for a couple of seconds, I'm saying this). I would check your throttle body, spark circuit regarding the shudder, cleaning them might fix that.

Last edited by CzechItaliaMoto : 8th July 2023 at 22:10.
Old 8th July 2023, 22:38   #9983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello friends, need help with an issue am facing due to rat menace.
Kindly use rat sprays like this one (Protecting cars from the RAT menace - Autoshine Rat Spray (Mumbai)). Working for me since 2018 on my cars. Though this is very expensive you can try cheaper rat repellant but the autoguard is tried and tested.

Good luck.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 08:06   #9984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Kindly use rat sprays like this one (Protecting cars from the RAT menace - Autoshine Rat Spray (Mumbai)). Working for me since 2018 on my cars. Though this is very expensive you can try cheaper rat repellant but the autoguard is tried and tested.
Good luck.
Thank you. I was using 3M rat repellant earlier and still found traces of rat entry so didn't really opt to buy it again. I guess I'll try the one you've mentioned.

Quote:
That's the PCV hose. You should go for replacement + check the wiring for the oil pressure switch located below the PCV valve. Rats may have got to that as well. It connects to the VTEC solenoid.

Although, that does not explain the shudder. The PCV hose being completely removed only results in a hissing sound, nothing more than that(from my experience of having the hose off for a couple of seconds, I'm saying this). I would check your throttle body, spark circuit regarding the shudder, cleaning them might fix that.
Thank you. The engine only had a hissing sound when I started the car. Since I felt erratic idling and some 'putter' in the exhaust note, tried depressing the accelerator a bit when I sensed the engine shudder. Not sure if this gives a better description. The FNG guy is coming only on Monday morning due to inadequate staff at his end. Keeping fingers crossed.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 10:00   #9985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. I was using 3M rat repellant earlier and still found traces of rat entry so didn't really opt to buy it again. I guess I'll try the one you've mentioned.
The 3M has been noted to be in-effective in preventing rat bites as posted by bhpians. Kindly note the spray that I am using does not prevent rats from entering the car but it "does" prevent the rats from biting the wires on which the spray has been used. A bottle costs ~2000 Rs. There are cheaper alternatives but I am not sure of their effectiveness. In normal working days where the car is not idle a can lasts me close to a year. I spray every 2-3 times a month.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 18:05   #9986
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. The engine only had a hissing sound when I started the car. Since I felt erratic idling and some 'putter' in the exhaust note, tried depressing the accelerator a bit when I sensed the engine shudder. Not sure if this gives a better description. The FNG guy is coming only on Monday morning due to inadequate staff at his end. Keeping fingers crossed.
Are there any check engine lights? If no, then most likely the only problem would be your PCV hose and throttle body cleaning. Don't worry, the car will completely fine.
Old 9th July 2023, 19:19   #9987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are there any check engine lights? If no, then most likely the only problem would be your PCV hose and throttle body cleaning. Don't worry, the car will completely fine.
Thank you and that's reassuring to hear. No check engine light on. The other worry is the immediare availability of the PCV hose in the market. The FNG gut is coming tomorrow. Let's see what he has to say.
Old 9th July 2023, 21:40   #9988
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you and that's reassuring to hear. No check engine light on. The other worry is the immediare availability of the PCV hose in the market. The FNG gut is coming tomorrow. Let's see what he has to say.
I can tell you this - it is not available immediately in the market. I had ordered one on boodmo in April, the thing still hasn't come. I think your mechanic will pull a jugaad, get a different hose of same diameter but it will most likely be aftermarket. Otherwise, some insulation tape/heat resistant tape will have to do for the time being. I usually get all these Honda parts on eBay now, as mentioned in one of my previous posts on this thread.
Old 19th July 2023, 15:04   #9989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can tell you this - it is not available immediately in the market. I had ordered one on boodmo in April, the thing still hasn't come. I think your mechanic will pull a jugaad, get a different hose of same diameter but it will most likely be aftermarket. Otherwise, some insulation tape/heat resistant tape will have to do for the time being. I usually get all these Honda parts on eBay now, as mentioned in one of my previous posts on this thread.
Missed to update earlier. The car was back from the FNG Vertron Motors in 2 days. Like you rightly mentioned, since the exact OE part was not available, a suitable aftermarket replacement has been installed in its place. I have already placed an order with Boodmo for the PCV hose and the ETA is somewhere in September. For now, the car feels and rides alright with no issues whatsoever. Once I get the OE PCV hose, the FNG has promised to replace it for me without any charges.

Also, ordered Autoguard Rat Repellent as suggested by Sumeeth and have sprayed it liberally in the engine bay. Hope things are taken care of. Thanks for all the support.

EDIT: Adding pics
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20230713_173226.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20230713_174424.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img20230712wa0034.jpg  

Last edited by rr_zen : 19th July 2023 at 15:17.
rr_zen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 13:25   #9990
BHPian

I need to get the four doors of my Civic repainted due to minor issues. The colour is Habanero Red.

Can someone who has got done similar work give a rough estimate of the likely cost, either in A$$ or in FNG?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks