Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2024, 23:01   #10051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderSree View Post
Just curious about this swapping, has anyone tried bigger profiles(greater than 65) on Civic? What are your opinion on this.Attachment 2595455
Safe margin for upsizing is to keep the % increase in diameter <3%.
In addition to what CzechItaliaMto rightly said, upsizing tires will add pressure to the power steering.
Our Civic's hydraulic steering system is not one that can take abuse, so need to keep it safe as well to prevent leaks from occurring.
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 12:21   #10052

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Safe margin for upsizing is to keep the % increase in diameter <3%.
In addition to what CzechItaliaMto rightly said, upsizing tires will add pressure to the power steering.
Our Civic's hydraulic steering system is not one that can take abuse, so need to keep it safe as well to prevent leaks from occurring.
Hi sarathlal, the upsize I mentioned is approx 9% increase in diameter, so got it , it's a big no-no! And steering pump is an achilles heel for our Civic. Thank you sarathlal for your input between where are you in Trivandrum? I'm staying in Kulathoor/Kazhakkoottam, maybe we can catch up.
Old 18th April 2024, 23:23   #10053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderSree View Post
Hi sarathlal, the upsize I mentioned is approx 9% increase in diameter, so got it , it's a big no-no! And steering pump is an achilles heel for our Civic. Thank you sarathlal for your input between where are you in Trivandrum? I'm staying in Kulathoor/Kazhakkoottam, maybe we can catch up.
Sure, will definitely catch up
Old 15th May 2024, 00:30   #10054
BHPian

Honda Civic 2009 - 90000km update

The Civic turned 15 this year(read thread here (How I prepared our 15-year old Honda Civic for Fitness Renewal), and coincidentally hit the 90k mark at around the same time! Decided to drop in at Engineering Exponent, Whitefield for its routine service.

Things that needed to be done -
  1. Oil change
  2. Air filter and oil filter replacement
  3. Radiator upper hose replacement(Slow leak/bubbling from one end)
  4. Brakes service
  5. Driver-side fender liner replacement
  6. Engine checkup
  7. AC gas top-up

We drove to EE along with these items-
  1. Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 engine oil(courtesy of TeamBHPian and friend @eccentric)
  2. Denso Cool Gear Air Filter
  3. Honda OE Oil filter
  4. Honda OE radiator hoses
  5. Honda OE camshaft plug(Part number - 12513-P72-003)
  6. TYY(aftermarket) RHS fender liner

We were told that the car would be done by late evening, next day. However, much to our horror, they said our engine was misfiring pretty badly(we kind of knew about it, but we were suspecting the wrong things). The misfire needed more investigation so the car was left at the garage for a couple of more days.

Car being worked on at EE-

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-screenshot-20240514-11.46.04-pm.png

New radiator hose fitted-

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-screenshot-20240514-11.47.57-pm.png

Condition of old air filter(also Denso Cool Gear)-

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-screenshot-20240514-11.48.09-pm.png

After a couple of days, the guys at Engineering Exponent told us that 2 out of the 4 ignition coils are failing! We knew this was coming, since there were problems during cold start and the performance had reduced over the months after the previous service.

Since 2 of them were already gone, we decided to replace all 4 of them in one go as suggested by them since the other two may be on their way out as well.

The Honda ignition coils cost around 7-8k each, which is daylight robbery in my opinion. Decided to hunt down dealers and distributors for the same Denso ignition coil that was made for the Civic. The part number is 099700-1010/1011. I found an official Denso distributor through their website who were based out of Bangalore, and immediately contacted them. They said that they had only 1 in stock, but could get 3 more in another 8-10 days if we ordered them. So we did. Total cost for all four coils was around 11k.

The shop's name is Nippon Auto Electricals in JC Road, Bangalore. They have been in business for 25 years plus, as they say. I highly recommend this place because of their customer service and their supply of genuine Denso parts - you even get wiper blades, air filters and cabin filters for a whole variety of cars. This is not a paid promotion, I am speaking solely based on my experience at the place, after facing multiple rejections with around 10 shops in JC Road, searching for the same parts.

Picture of the packaging of ignition coils -

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-screenshot-20240514-11.50.16-pm.png

In the meantime, more problems arose with the Civic. As I was waiting for the coils, the guys at EE called us up and said that the starter motor has stopped working, and the car was not cranking. I saw this coming as well, as I could hear a grinding noise once in a while whenever I tried to start the car, mostly during cold starts. The starter motor was overhauled and put back together.

I delivered the coils around 10 days after the car was given for service. They said they would fit them, check spark plugs and give the car for wash before delivering. They also said they would test the car for a whole day before giving it back.

I finally received the car on Monday. Bill for all the repair work and service was around 15k, more than reasonable in my opinion! When I went for a test drive, I could immediately feel the difference! The acceleration and low end grunt had improved, the engine had also become quieter! The jerkiness in the cabin and intermittent stalling while in gear had also gone away! I thanked Engineering Exponent for everything(a top job done by them), and decided to leave with the car.

Hopefully, this is the end of it when it comes to putting money into the car this year. I think it will be, but let's see what it has in store for us! It never fails to put a smile on my face every time I drive it

A parting shot of the car just before delivery -

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-screenshot-20240514-11.51.26-pm.png

Thanks for reading!
CzechItaliaMoto is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed