Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2010, 14:59   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
What do you mean when you say Hypermiling?
Khoj bhaiyya,

I guess being within the optimal rpm range and speed. Adding to that some concepts like some points of psi extra on the wheels to reduce rolling friction, avoiding unnecessary braking, etc.. etc.. It is a very very conscious effort to say the least.

You want to try? Keep driving.
Old 6th October 2010, 16:51   #1052
Senior - BHPian

Hi laluks,

Thanks for explaining the concept.
It is somewhat close to the way that I drive. In my case however it is not a conscious effort but it's just the way I drive naturally. Using OE tire pressure as a guidance I usually find my own sweet spot for my ride and then it is the art of caressing that comes into play, what with the right foot stroking the right pedal & only occasionally flirting with the middle one. Of course some spanking involved too when the others around fall out of step & force me to take evasive action. The two lefties do come alive once in a while to ensure that the sublime notes do not turn into a shrieking crescendo.

For me it is not so much about the fuel average et all but the fact that everything should feel right. The hum of the engine as I increase, decrease or hold steady the revolutions, the patter of the tires on the road, the clicks of the switches and stalks as I use them. All of it has to come together and feel just right. Aaaah that is soup for my soul.
Old 6th October 2010, 17:15   #1053
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from a trip to TVM. Went through NH7 till Thirumangalam and then went towards Thenkasi to enter Kerala near Thenmala. Came back through NH47 since I had to pass through EKM. NH7 route took me about 11 hours of driving time and the other route 14 hrs. Total mileage was about 1450 kms
Old 6th October 2010, 17:21   #1054
BHPian

Can't believe, my car will turn 1 in 2 days. Time for 5th service and 2nd oil change. I want to switch to Mobil-1. Is Mobil 1 5W-30 the correct grade? Has anyone bought it from an outside shop in Bangalore?
Old 6th October 2010, 17:45   #1055
BHPian

Hypermiling

Quote:
What do you mean when you say Hypermiling?
It means beating the ARAI published mileage figures or the Manufacturer's claim, got under 'standard conditions', which in general is hard to beat.
Honda gives the Civic-AT FE as 13.1 kmpl.
Since I get regularly get above this, I am a hypermiler!
(You can get techniques from the internet).

I agree that is is not possible in crowded cities. Traffic is sparse on the highways here deep south, with new 4-lanes, so I am in a better position!
When I was in Chennai last new-year it was a nightmare for me! Most of the time my car was burning fuel sitting idle in traffic-signals.
Old 6th October 2010, 18:02   #1056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All of it has to come together and feel just right. Aaaah that is soup for my soul.
Not just for you, but for most of us as well.

After all if driving was only about mileage, I would have got something else.
Old 7th October 2010, 03:38   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

Well said 'chhote bhaiyaa'.

@manim

Thanks manim for your reply.

Last edited by khoj : 7th October 2010 at 03:42.
Old 7th October 2010, 09:47   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
With 20k on the clock, you are in the plateau region of FE. After another 70-80k it may start decreasing!
Perhaps it could still be a false alarm you know. My 9 year old Pulsar 180 does this to me sometimes, for no apparent reason it returns sub 35 kpl once in a while, but I will get the car checked for sure.

Quote:
Hi laluks,

For me it is not so much about the fuel average et all but the fact that everything should feel right. The hum of the engine as I increase, decrease or hold steady the revolutions, the patter of the tires on the road, the clicks of the switches and stalks as I use them. All of it has to come together and feel just right. Aaaah that is soup for my soul.
Thats beautifully said khoj , sounds like poetry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

Yep, Civic is a car that stirs the soul but at the same time I should not be punished too much for having fun, if you know what I mean.

On another note, the lack of AUX-IN is bothering me no end, the HU does have the capability but Honda India skimped on completing the set up.
Enquired at a Alpine service center here in Bombay, I was quoted a 3.5K for the AUX-IN set up. This is daylight robbery I feel.
I am itching to do a DIY this weekend, time permitting.
The DIY idea comes from the good folks at 8thCivic.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 7th October 2010 at 09:51.
Old 7th October 2010, 10:37   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Thats beautifully said khoj , sounds like poetry.
Thank you Hiren
Your comment is indeed a great start to the day.
Old 7th October 2010, 15:08   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Drove today morning to Goa. Took Civvy to Coastal Honda Goa, and am now with them. She's getting a whining sound from the front discs and pads. Thinking of changing the pads, its anyhow done 57K.

Front pads cost here 4400, and a rotor 2300.

From the first impression, very nice setup and friendly service guys. Outstation customer is taken care pretty well.
Old 7th October 2010, 15:16   #1061
BANNED

@laluks; Irrespective of what they say (I know Honda like to change the rotors) unless it is very deeply scored you can get one or two facing jobs on the rotor before you must change it.
Old 7th October 2010, 15:22   #1062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@laluks; Irrespective of what they say (I know Honda like to change the rotors) unless it is very deeply scored you can get one or two facing jobs on the rotor before you must change it.
@sgiitk, I know. But now since I am not on my home turf, and for want of time/co-ordination I'll get them changed, and get the old one lathed(skimmed) for future use once back home.
Old 11th October 2010, 11:27   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Take that Honda!

I finally managed to get the AUX-IN working on my car. Take that Honda/Alpine, they had the audacity to ask 5k for it.
All I had to spend was on a soldering iron and 1.5 hours of my time.

Its working like a charm!

Cheers
Old 11th October 2010, 13:09   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I finally managed to get the AUX-IN working on my car. Take that Honda/Alpine, they had the audacity to ask 5k for it.
All I had to spend was on a soldering iron and 1.5 hours of my time.

Its working like a charm!
Congrats! A more detailed write-up with pictures and step-by-step instructions, please!

Regards,
spadix
Old 11th October 2010, 15:59   #1065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Congrats! A more detailed write-up with pictures and step-by-step instructions, please!

Regards,
spadix
I might be able to do the write up but I don't have any pics unfortunately.
Luckily all that is available on 8thcivic.com, I did my DIY based on their instructions.

It was fairly easy, I was worried I might not be able to get the HU out but even that was cinch.
All you need is a philips screw driver, a soldering iron and a 3.5mm audio cable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks