Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 07:48   #1171
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

khoj: Thanks
One more q. does the original honda is really different from the aftermarket because I remember once I had asked about the price for both and original honda fittment was costing around 15000 INR whereas aftermarket was only 3000 INR.
Old 13th December 2010, 08:51   #1172
Senior - BHPian

I got fog lamps installed in my 1.8S in April this year for Rs.3,600/-.

They are imported from Thailand, come with proper wiring, connectors, switch for the Civic just like original means no wire cuts. The switch is installed at the proper place (near tripmeter reset switch) and if it is on, fog lamps turn on when you switch on the parking lights / headlights.

Did not get a chance to use them in fog, but they appear as good as originals.

BTW, there are H8 bulbs in these fog lights just like Swift and many others so they are easy to replace.

@Khoj, Civic has different bulbs for high beams / low beams, is your suggestion for "Philips Xtreme or the Osram Nightbreakers" still valid ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1924124
Old 13th December 2010, 11:51   #1173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I got fog lamps installed in my 1.8S in April this year for Rs.3,600/-.

They are imported from Thailand, come with proper wiring, connectors, switch for the Civic just like original means no wire cuts. The switch is installed at the proper place (near tripmeter reset switch) and if it is on, fog lamps turn on when you switch on the parking lights / headlights.

Did not get a chance to use them in fog, but they appear as good as originals.

BTW, there are H8 bulbs in these fog lights just like Swift and many others so they are easy to replace.

@Khoj, Civic has different bulbs for high beams / low beams, is your suggestion for "Philips Xtreme or the Osram Nightbreakers" still valid ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1924124
Mukesh,
IIRC the Civic fogs are H11's. I too fitted mine from the after market and it cost be just 2300/-.
Old 13th December 2010, 12:49   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
khoj: Thanks
One more q. does the original honda is really different from the aftermarket because I remember once I had asked about the price for both and original honda fittment was costing around 15000 INR whereas aftermarket was only 3000 INR.
Lalitk25,

Going by hiren.mistry and mukeshgoel's experiences you could give the after market lights a shot, if they work in fog then great if they don't well it is only a fraction of the cost of the original. My advice for OE fogs stems from my own experience with after market and OE fogs in my OHC. However I got those installed more than 10 years ago and since all my cars bought since then have come with OE fogs I cannot comment on the quality of after market fogs.

A word of caution though even at the A.S.S. do physically check and ensure that they install original fog lamps only. A cousin recently got after market fogs passed on as OE in his ANHC by the dealer here in Dilli. It took a joint visit and a bit of arm twisting to get them to change the same. While the dealer never admitted to having used bogus lamps the difference in the output was obvious.

Quote:
Yes the suggestion still stands, since both the Philips Xtreme and the Osram Night Breaker are available across a very wide range and combination of sizes & single/double filament designs.
Old 13th December 2010, 15:17   #1175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I changed the low beam bulbs with Philips Xtreme Power HB4/9006. They are very bright and quite comfortable to use for long drives. I dont see a need to change the high beam bulbs as I rarely use them.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2010, 10:26   #1176
BHPian

If you want to exact-match stock spec, then there aren't many options. HB4(low-beams and fogs) of 51w and HB3 of 60w are available in Ring Automotive bulbs. I've bought Ring XenonMax series for high, low and fogs and yet to receive it. Will update after install.

BTW Philips Xtreme which was my first preference, does not come in HB3 and HB4 is 55w against 51w (not that it is really significant). I went for same brand/series for all, to have same shade of yellow (color temp).
Old 14th December 2010, 14:47   #1177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I changed the low beam bulbs with Philips Xtreme Power HB4/9006. They are very bright and quite comfortable to use for long drives. I dont see a need to change the high beam bulbs as I rarely use them.
What is the difference in wattage between this and the OE and also does this throw yellow or white light ? I am contemplating a change for my Civic as well and would prefer yellow to white. Also, what price did you pay for this ? Thanks
Old 14th December 2010, 15:05   #1178
Senior - BHPian

^^
The light is of normal color, not white. As mkc said, there is a slight change of wattage, 55 instead of 51W. I had to import this through ebay HK and paid about $40 for a pair including shipping. The actual product is made in India though!
Old 15th December 2010, 17:09   #1179
BHPian

Will the extra light generate more heat?
My concern is if the light emitted is 100% extra in claimed phillips x-treme then will it generate more heat? If yes then the reflector and the assembley is capable enought to handle the same.
Old 16th December 2010, 10:19   #1180
BANNED

4W is negligible. Also, if there is more light then there is less heat (actually negligible since even a halogen uses most of the power in heat).
Old 16th December 2010, 11:28   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
4W is negligible. Also, if there is more light then there is less heat (actually negligible since even a halogen uses most of the power in heat).
Oh the old school time equation....

Electrical energy is converted to Heat and Light so if more light then less heat and viceversa
Old 16th December 2010, 11:52   #1182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Absolutely, Philips claim to have some "innovative" way of creating more light with same power. So the heat emission should be lower and probably life of the bulb also.
Old 16th December 2010, 13:45   #1183
BANNED

@vasoo: Spot on. Philips have two options - i. use a heavier gas, but they really cannot go beyond Xenon since Radon is radioactive and also unstable. So they must ii.use a more reactive halogen mixture to get more reprecipitation of the filament.

In any case more than 85% of the juice goes into heat, so the influence on the light/heat ratio will be negligible.
Old 16th December 2010, 14:10   #1184
Senior - BHPian

Here is what Philips says about what is different in these bulbs. Most of them may be marketing cr@9.

- Palladium-coated head and chrome-coated base - Special anti-reflex coating
- Improved geometrical filament design
- New gas composition and adapted pressure
- Quartz glass with new optical finish
Old 16th December 2010, 15:30   #1185
BANNED

Here is what Philips says about what is different in these bulbs. Most of them may be marketing ....

- Palladium-coated head and chrome-coated base - Special anti-reflex coating
Need a more heat/corrosion resist and design to cope with the higher temperature.

- Improved geometrical filament design
A more compact filament will give higher temperatures.

- New gas composition and adapted pressure
A different composition working at a higher pressure. A higher pressure also helps the redeposition of Tungsten.

- Quartz glass with new optical finish
In fact Quartz (which is a crystal) is a misnomer - it is fused silica. Better finish leads to less deposition and higher transparency.

I agree most of the description is obvious and more a marketing ploy - as long as we get better light we are Ok with whatever they say.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks