Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2008, 13:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Honda Service

When I went for the first service of our Civic A/T, I was quite dissapointed with the carefree and careless attitude of the service personnel. I had some time to kill, so I waited in the customer lounge for a while, which has a bay window so you could see what was happening in the service bay down below. From here you could see how the mechanics were wasting a lot of time, chatting around. Even the washers thought no end of themselves and were turning on the radio, chatting around and not at all bothered about the job they were doing. It's really sad that at the authorised service centre you cannot expect the level professionalism that these wonderful cars truly deserve.

At the 1st service they just did a check up, I assume and hope that they checked the electricals, idling and the likes. They did not change any oil or filter. and i did not have to pay a dime. What was really upsetting though, was that i had asked for 2 problems to be looked into.
1. Vehicle pulling slightly to left at speeds above 30 KMPH
2. Rattling sound from the steering wheel

None of these were even looked into. Nor was the car washed properly inside or out. the excuse given for the outside being dirty was that after the service the car was parked out for a while. Nevertheless i got them to get the car cleaned up and like our fellow poster above, they sent down 4 men to clean up the car inside and out.

So when I started up the car and began to drive home I realised that the 2 problems were not even looked into. On reaching home I had to call up the service manager, and give him my two bits.

After the apologising was over, he promised me that he would send someone home to look into the problem. Which he did, however not in the morning like he had promised but late into the afternoon. Anyways the guy took a test drive and said that the job cannot be done here and will have to go to the service centre again. obviously I was furious. They told me they would send a driver to pick up the car and deliver the car when it was fixed. Obviously I said NO! do you think I am mad to send a beautiful brand new car with a driver and that too ALONE! So on the phone I was again, Telling the Service Manager that this will not happen. So I made him promise me that a couple of days later, I would take the car there myself, wait for an hour or so. and drive her home myself. To which he had no choice but to agree.

So a couple of days later, I take the car back to them. They fix both problems. but it doesn't take and hour or so. but practically the whole day. I take a test drive and everything seems fine. But this time they don't bother to clean the car at all. and me too tired of all this, just take the car home.

The pulling to the left has stopped, but unfortunately the steering wheel rattling sound is still there. Which I will have to address to them at the second service.

I am told that in the second service, there will be an oil and filter change. Which should be done. As a fellow poster above rightly mentioned, while running in the car, metal particles from the engine do mix with the oil.

Well i just hope and pray that the second servicing is not a nightmare. I will be taking it to the other service centre which belongs to the same dealership.

The car is just amazing and I am extremely happy with our purhase just wish the service was better.

Sorry for Writing such a huge post.

Please share your experiences.

Regards and Happy Motoring

Mash
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2008, 14:01   #17
BHPian

I think it'll be better to have the filled in Oil replaced during the first service. I am not sure if its a mandatory thing, but it was how I have been seeing with all the cars
Old 29th October 2008, 14:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrub View Post
I think it'll be better to have the filled in Oil replaced during the first service. I am not sure if its a mandatory thing, but it was how I have been seeing with all the cars
According to Honda Service manual, it is not mandatory. I too felt odd since I owned two marutis previously and was accustomed to this.

Guys, I just got a call from Honda showroom that they had done my 20K servicing and only issue showed up was centering of the steering. Could any one give me more info as to what is this, how it can occur and what is doen to rectify etc. Is it a part of wheel alignment?
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2008, 17:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
When I went for the first service of our Civic A/T, I was quite dissapointed with the carefree and careless attitude of the service personnel. I had some time to kill, so I waited in the customer lounge for a while, which has a bay window so you could see what was happening in the service bay down below. From here you could see how the mechanics were wasting a lot of time, chatting around. Even the washers thought no end of themselves and were turning on the radio, chatting around and not at all bothered about the job they were doing. It's really sad that at the authorised service centre you cannot expect the level professionalism that these wonderful cars truly deserve.

At the 1st service they just did a check up, I assume and hope that they checked the electricals, idling and the likes. They did not change any oil or filter. and i did not have to pay a dime. What was really upsetting though, was that i had asked for 2 problems to be looked into.
1. Vehicle pulling slightly to left at speeds above 30 KMPH
2. Rattling sound from the steering wheel

None of these were even looked into. Nor was the car washed properly inside or out. the excuse given for the outside being dirty was that after the service the car was parked out for a while. Nevertheless i got them to get the car cleaned up and like our fellow poster above, they sent down 4 men to clean up the car inside and out.

So when I started up the car and began to drive home I realised that the 2 problems were not even looked into. On reaching home I had to call up the service manager, and give him my two bits.

After the apologising was over, he promised me that he would send someone home to look into the problem. Which he did, however not in the morning like he had promised but late into the afternoon. Anyways the guy took a test drive and said that the job cannot be done here and will have to go to the service centre again. obviously I was furious. They told me they would send a driver to pick up the car and deliver the car when it was fixed. Obviously I said NO! do you think I am mad to send a beautiful brand new car with a driver and that too ALONE! So on the phone I was again, Telling the Service Manager that this will not happen. So I made him promise me that a couple of days later, I would take the car there myself, wait for an hour or so. and drive her home myself. To which he had no choice but to agree.

So a couple of days later, I take the car back to them. They fix both problems. but it doesn't take and hour or so. but practically the whole day. I take a test drive and everything seems fine. But this time they don't bother to clean the car at all. and me too tired of all this, just take the car home.

The pulling to the left has stopped, but unfortunately the steering wheel rattling sound is still there. Which I will have to address to them at the second service.

I am told that in the second service, there will be an oil and filter change. Which should be done. As a fellow poster above rightly mentioned, while running in the car, metal particles from the engine do mix with the oil.

Well i just hope and pray that the second servicing is not a nightmare. I will be taking it to the other service centre which belongs to the same dealership.

The car is just amazing and I am extremely happy with our purhase just wish the service was better.

Sorry for Writing such a huge post.

Please share your experiences.

Regards and Happy Motoring

Mash

We are lucky to have 2 Honda dealers in Chennai.

I use the newer of the 2, who are quite professional and do a neat job. ( so far ) !!
Old 29th October 2008, 17:19   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
I too had my initial reservations on the same issue. However if someone is going to check my brakes, oil, fix small creaks and niggles and wash my car for Rs. 550/- then I'm happy. Minimum for a car wash in Bangalore is Rs. 250 - 350/- . If I've to spend just 550 for a car once in 3 months for a car that is /was worth 13 lakhs, I reasoned that that's a pretty minuscule amount.
Not about money, but the time/effort you need to spend. For me, either I have to wait at showroom for 3hr or go back to office and return.
Old 29th October 2008, 18:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Well i surf TBHP when i'm there at the service centre.i've even got some of the service officials hooked up to tbhp.showing them the modded civics thread etc.and they go ooooh,aaaah.lol
Old 30th October 2008, 11:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Finally got the 20K service done. During the checkup the service engineer found there was a steering centering problem. Any way since I was supposed to do the wheel alignment I have asked them to do it as well. Since I did not want to go again for a wheel balancing outside I have asked them to do it as well - knowing fully that I'll get some exhorbitant charges for the weights . Rs750 this time!!

The car has become smooth, and feels nice to drive. Took the car yesterday evening. Had some road tests while I drove back to home.

Today morning to my shock I found quite a lot of deep scratches in the running board below the rear right door - more towards the bottom of the car as it has scraped something. Not visible from a standing position, I closely looked and found that the scratches are at the bottom also. Called up the service engineer, he immediately agreed to do the needful - since he knew what happened in there. I'll be leaving it on Monday to get that area done . Thank God it's towards the bottom of the running board and no dents!!

Oil - 860
oil filter -130
air filter -825
wheel alignment -450
balancing - 500
20k service -1250
Total with tax -5050
Old 30th October 2008, 11:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

Just gave mine for the second free 5k kms service.Hoping to get it back in good shape.I have really started getting scared of these people.the way they drive the cars in the service bay is horrifying.
Old 30th October 2008, 12:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Honda has touched the 3 lakh vehicle sales figure, and they celebrated that by introducing the Civic sports.

Many BHPians including me own a Honda Civic, and the only thread which talks about maintenance and service for the Civic which I came across was http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...t-service.html

I would like to start a topic here so that all Civic BHPians could benefit. I have just completed the 20K Km in my Civic and would be going in for a 20K service.

My previous service details.

1st Free Service (1000kms) - Free. No oil change, wash and regular checkup.
2nd Free Service (5000Kms)- Free, 200RS charged for windscreen washer fluid, which I disagreed - a sonax 25ml stuff is available for 69.
3rd Free Service (10K Kms) - Oil and filter change - around 900Rs.
4th Paid Service (15K Kms) - Rs3800. Service costs - 810, Wheel alignment - 450, Wheel balancing 500, Balancing weights around 500 (I wonder why!!) Opted for a oil and filter change too - 750. Some consumables worth 300 and 12.36% taxes!!

Rs4700/- till 15K. Isn't that amazing and good to own?

5th Paid service (20K Km) Due next week. Planned is an oil change and Wheel balancing/Alignment.
Servicing is every 5K? and not 10K? I thought it would be 10K like Marutis et all?
Old 30th October 2008, 14:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Wheel alignment - 450, Wheel balancing 500, Balancing weights around 500 (I wonder why!!)
Since you might have Bridgestone tyres, the above mentioned costs are exorbitant. With weights, the entire thing-alignment+balancing+weights, should cost around Rs. 400-600. I know because I got my Corolla at 22K odo at around Rs. 450 from a reputed Bridgestone dealer in Delhi.

Second: you got balancing+alignment at 15K. Is there a need for 5K intervals. Perhaps a 6-8K interval may be acceptable. Save yourself some money by avoiding dealer alignments+balancing and extending the interval.

Last edited by vasudeva : 30th October 2008 at 14:03.
Old 30th October 2008, 14:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Just a question - my Civic will go for it's first service on the 30th. Should I force an engine oil+filter change?
Do not force anything or spend extra on a new car than is recommended by Honda. Is this your 1K service?
Old 30th October 2008, 14:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
Not about money, but the time/effort you need to spend. For me, either I have to wait at showroom for 3hr or go back to office and return.
Why don't you use their pick-up and drop service. Capital Honda uses fairly good drivers for this and the charge is Rs. 150/-; quite reasonable IMO.
Old 30th October 2008, 16:33   #28
BHPian

Honda Civic Manual gets 42+ mpg (~18kmpl) with minimum modifications. In fact with just pumped up tires. See the link below for the technique adopted.

Consistent over 41MPG highway with Civic - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

PS. I too get about 15 kmpl on my petrol Verna with tires on 36psi and some "granny driving" methods!.
Old 30th October 2008, 18:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Since you might have Bridgestone tyres, the above mentioned costs are exorbitant. With weights, the entire thing-alignment+balancing+weights, should cost around Rs. 400-600. I know because I got my Corolla at 22K odo at around Rs. 450 from a reputed Bridgestone dealer in Delhi.

Second: you got balancing+alignment at 15K. Is there a need for 5K intervals. Perhaps a 6-8K interval may be acceptable. Save yourself some money by avoiding dealer alignments+balancing and extending the interval.
I will do so like that. I guess the Goodyear guys told me once in 10K is good enough for alignment, and balancing if all is well. else asap. Since this time I had that freak puncture issue I went in for new tyres and hence the goofup!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Honda Civic Manual gets 42+ mpg (~18kmpl) with minimum modifications. In fact with just pumped up tires. See the link below for the technique adopted.

Consistent over 41MPG highway with Civic - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

PS. I too get about 15 kmpl on my petrol Verna with tires on 36psi and some "granny driving" methods!.
Is our stock tyres safe with that psi. My manual says keep 30PSI. The link says he used 38 psi, just under the 40psi sidewall max for the tyre.

Next how does it affect mileage if we over inflate the tyre?
Old 30th October 2008, 19:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Do not force anything or spend extra on a new car than is recommended by Honda. Is this your 1K service?
Yes it is.

Gave it for service today with a 3M Paint Coating ordered and a touchup on the front bumper. Totally breaks my heart that the single scratch on the car is not my fault. Happened when parked somewhere. Then there are the marks on the doors from my cousin's dog standing on it. The service advisor was very pleasant and told me not to bother doing anything about it. "Plenty more to come Sir. Just repaint the door in a year."

Service is entirely free and it was supposed to be done today evening, but they called up and asked me to come tomorrow morning as the work was not completed. I'l write up a detailed report tomorrow.

Most Viewed